Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Free trial up to level 20

2»

Comments

• Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2020
    Yes, $15 would be a lot of money for some people. If you can afford high speed internet and / or have a computer capable of running an MMORPG, that amount should be doable.
    If you cannot afford $15, what are the chances you would have a computer / connection able to run a game like this anyways?
  • Options
    JudeJude Member
    edited April 2020
    I'd have to agree with not having a trial version. I feel like having an early "free weekend" or allowing anyone to level up characters up to 20 would just add to competition for land and resources--and let's not forget potential popular character names!

If the staff are going to do a "free weekend", they should announce that one month before they do it :D because some players have very very very very very slow download speed that drives them crazy.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes, $15 would be a lot of money for some people. If you can afford high speed internet and / or have a computer capable of running an MMORPG, that amount should be doable.
    If you cannot afford $15, what are the chances you would have a computer / connection able to run a game like this anyways?

Most people here are MMO vets anyway so they know what to expect
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There's zero point in a free trial at launch since servers will already be packed, a year or two down the line when players start moving onto other games then it would 100% make sense.
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »

Most people here are MMO vets anyway so they know what to expect

Yup, that is my point. If you are a player, you probably wouldn't have an issue. If you are so strapped for cash that $15 makes a difference, you shouldn't be playing these games... :)
  • Options
    I'm against free trial or anything free.
    Nowadays you have youtube and 1000 billions videos on how the game plays. The information is out there. If people try the game just for the lolz, it will create unnecessary expenses for Intrepid, possible scams, spammers and impact the world without any real consequences.
    Low levels can still do quest and contribute to node, this will create imbalance.

Also, if you put 15 dollars in, you're at least going to try the game seriously, because you have a monetary commitment to it, if something is free, people either don't value it enough or just trash it for no reason.
  • Options
    insomniainsomnia Member
    edited May 2020
    Just pay 1 month of sub. If you don't like it, that is it. What does a movie ticket cost. I'm certain 1 month of sub for this game, costs less than what it costs to go to the cinema in country. If you are low on money. Maybe a game with a monthly sub, isn't for you.

edit. Oh, i see i wrote something similar to what noaani wrote
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited May 2020
    Not sure about a fee trial. I want to be playing alongside people who are more invested in the game and are willing to throw down 1 month sub rather than anyone potentially just looking for something free to pass time.

Agree with @BlackBrony that some YouTube research usually gives you a good enough idea of whether to try a game.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Who knows in a few years they may add a free trial but I highly doubt it in the first year or two
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    flameh0tflameh0t Member, Braver of Worlds
    Jude wrote: »
    Good evening.

I don't know if this is the right place for my thread but I hope this upcoming MMORPG will have a free trial up to level 20 like World of Warcraft. I was excited when I saw the graphics but I didn't like it when I found out that the game is not for everyone. I don't know why we're in 2020 and there are no new free to play MMORPGs in North America but I don't blame the developers this is their game.

Free trial? You got your bots selling AoC gold already??
  • Options
    FlashmanFlashman Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Good evening.

I don't know if this is the right place for my thread but I hope this upcoming MMORPG will have a free trial up to level 20 like World of Warcraft. I was excited when I saw the graphics but I didn't like it when I found out that the game is not for everyone. I don't know why we're in 2020 and there are no new free to play MMORPGs in North America but I don't blame the developers this is their game.

@Jude New games generally don't give free trials... because they don't have to. Free trials are something that games introduce when they're not doing so well, and need to boost the population in general, and hopefully convert some of those players to paying customers. Consider the problems that free trials bring, most notably gold selling accounts, and it's just not worth a game studios time to give free trials. That is, until it needs to.
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    I think the 15€ - no boxprice is the most entry friendly idea that has come out from a game in ages. 15€ for a month long trial is acceptable for an mmo. Imo

We talked in general of ways to demo an mmo and we thought it might be not the worst idea to actually make a demo. Something like a weekly event or something where you have a raid with a decked out group of simplified character templates.
    A scrippted bossbattle or even a full raid with like 30 AI characters and 10 players or something where you can look at the general feel of how combat might flow and a class might feel.
    For Ashes itself you could just as well make it into a scripted siege defense/attack were you work with your AI group completing objectives and such.
    It could rotate weekly or every other day that you can sign up for and look at different classes/templates and see if the general feel of the game hits you.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    DrEpochDrEpoch Member, Phoenix Initiative
    You're all forgetting simple counter measures to trial accounts. Like: Limited chat, No trading, level restrictions, node restrictions, citizenship restrictions, limited cosmetic shop, limited storage, currency, etc etc.

I see unneeded expenses on Intrepid's side of things, but an alive game is an alive game. More player movement will give that feeling of a living breathing world.

With this, you can't infinitely farm resources to amass money before using credit card fraud to pawn off the accounts resources gained from free trial, and with restrictions, will allow real people to try the game and decide if it's for them, vs trying to get their measly $15 back. You can think of other things that could limit a trial account, and I agree with both sides. $15 not alot of money lol.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Fooshyy wrote: »
    You're all forgetting simple counter measures to trial accounts. Like: Limited chat, No trading, level restrictions, node restrictions, citizenship restrictions, limited cosmetic shop, limited storage, currency, etc etc.
    If you think that works you’ve never played WoW.

In WoW, the spammers use trial accounts to have their freebie characters spell out spam with their bodies. No, seriously.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yHTiK1zvzFY

It’s not rare, I’ve seen it in Ironforge. The first time I saw it, at first I was confused, then horrified. If you let in trial accounts, that’s the crap you’re going to get. Don’t even think about it.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Atama wrote: »
    It’s not rare, I’ve seen it in Ironforge. The first time I saw it, at first I was confused, then horrified. If you let in trial accounts, that’s the crap you’re going to get. Don’t even think about it.

Correct. Said it in my earlier reply, and now boosting the signal on this reply. Freebie accounts are bad news, both in the sense they usually indicate a game's not doing so well (and I don't need to explain why that's bad news, surely?), plus all the potential downsides with spammers, gold farmers, etc. Agree 110% @Atama.
  • Options
    MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    That's actually hilarious. I wouldn't even be mad.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    leonerdo wrote: »
    That's actually hilarious. I wouldn't even be mad.

And that's fine. That's your call. But what I think you would find more broadly is that when people are paying a $15/month fee for a game, it's precisely to lock that sort of stuff away - as much as possible at least.
  • Options
    arodicusarodicus Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People
    Good evening.

There aren’t any plans for a free trial from anything mentioned to date. The awesome thing about this game is there is no box price. WoW has a box price you have to pay to play the game which is why they added (after many years) a free to play to 20 service. Originally you had to pay the $50 to buy the game box and it came with a 30 day sub. That was your trial time unless someone gave you a 7 day free trial code. With ashes you pay $15 play for 30 days if you don’t like it don’t sub again. There won’t ever be expansions you have to buy or anything like that it’s always available if you pay your subscription