Do players like dwarf races?

JudeJude Member
edited May 18 in General Discussion
Good Monday.

Most MMORPGs that I played didn't have dwarf races so I don't know what players think about dwarf races.

I think that players should able to make their character dwarf regardless of the character's race. I don't think that all MMORPGs should have dwarf races especially more than one dwarf race because they're not that interesting in my opinion, I think that all races should have some dwarf characters instead of races with only dwarf characters.

Comments

  • AntVictusAntVictus Member
    mmmk. Going to go ahead and assume you play some sort of enlarged animal type characters.
  • noaaninoaani Member
    Dwarf races are a cornerstone of high fantasy, along with elves.
  • flameh0tflameh0t Member, Braver of Worlds
    noaani wrote: »
    Dwarf races are a cornerstone of high fantasy, along with elves.

    I agree with this wholeheartedly, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are liked.. I've never played a dwarf character, purely because their aesthetics always look disproportionate and creepy.. But I want a small character, so I'll most likely pick a Nikua.
  • I dont like weird short people races like those in FFXIV and Tera Online for example. However, I like real dwarves, short baulky with beards. The trick is to make good female dwarves. So far the best I have seen are in Dragon Age with second by far Lineage2.
  • noaaninoaani Member
    flameh0t wrote: »
    noaani wrote: »
    Dwarf races are a cornerstone of high fantasy, along with elves.

    I agree with this wholeheartedly, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are liked.. I've never played a dwarf character, purely because their aesthetics always look disproportionate and creepy.. But I want a small character, so I'll most likely pick a Nikua.
    Small characters are sometimes more fun - but shouldn't be introduced to a game at the expense of dwarves.

    I'm not a big fan of dwarves myself either, but I understand why some people are. They absolutely do add to fantasy IP's that contain them - even if they are not for me specifically.
  • flameh0tflameh0t Member, Braver of Worlds
    noaani wrote: »
    flameh0t wrote: »
    noaani wrote: »
    Dwarf races are a cornerstone of high fantasy, along with elves.

    I agree with this wholeheartedly, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are liked.. I've never played a dwarf character, purely because their aesthetics always look disproportionate and creepy.. But I want a small character, so I'll most likely pick a Nikua.
    Small characters are sometimes more fun - but shouldn't be introduced to a game at the expense of dwarves.

    Oh for sure, that's why ashes is allowing both I guess. It doesn't really deny the much needed dwarf aspect of dwarves because they're still there for those that do like them, just that the Nikua are there as an alternative, which I appreciate.

    I like small characters, because it's a contrast to something that suggests only the big and bulky can be powerful. Like you see a super strong man lifting 200kgs, you're like yeah okay neat he can do that.. But if you see a midget lifting 200kgs you're more likely to be more impressed and go holy shit dude are you seeing this. Just my 2 cents on a personal preference.
  • noaaninoaani Member
    edited May 19
    flameh0t wrote: »
    [But if you see a midget lifting 200kgs you're more likely to be more impressed and go holy shit dude are you seeing this. Just my 2 cents on a personal preference.
    I spent about 5 years of my time in EQ2 with a moppet illusion. It shrunk you down a lot and then also applied an illusion (a google image search for eq2 moppet will help here). After a while, I figured out that you could put that illusion on, but then turn off the option to show illusions on your character - and that would leave you with the shrink effect on but not the illusion.

    This is how I played the rest of my time in EQ2.

    I looked normal, other than the fact that I came up to most other characters knees.

    Small can be fun.
  • GimlogGimlog Member
    I'm a big fan of dwarf in fantasy, and I'm willing to play Aoc for 50% because they are in this game.
    I can understand that some peoples don't like to play them as i don't like play humans.

    I know for myself that it's not only their physic that made me like them, it's the overall culture and personally that goes with it. A tiny humans doesn't mean much for me.

    But speaking of their physic in Aoc , I'm not yet sure if I'll like the choose of IS to go for dwarf that look like those in the film The Hobbit.

    Still waiting to see what are they going to allow us to do in the characters creator's to settle my opinion on Aoc dwarfs.

    But the culture look good for now, but there to , I'm look forward to see what will be the Aoc touch.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    Im a fun of dwarfs but I never really play them
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • subssubs Member, Braver of Worlds
    I think the dwarfs on Ashes needs a little loving. they just look like short people. not your typical fantasy dwarfs. I like the pudgy short long-bearded variants. i.e. Hobit comes to mind or several other MMO's .. I hope we can adjust when creating.
  • OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds
    I like dwarves. A lot. More then knife ears.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    I want to see slayers in ashes :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • AmaunetAmaunet Member
    edited May 20
    If Intrepid Studios ever decide to make a race who looks similar to the Sylvari from GW2 that would be nice.
    I like races who do not look like small humans, humans with pointy ears or just really hairy humans.
  • Nagash wrote: »
    I want to see slayers in ashes :D

    Freaky mohawked little buggers :smiley:
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds
    Hey, when in doubt, they use their hair as an extra battleaxe.
  • MosephMoseph Member
    What about the racial abilities usually associated with the dwarf race such as poison resistance, a higher con, and treasure finding / stone sense or something similar? Or are you just talking about their height?
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    Ventharien wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    I want to see slayers in ashes :D

    Freaky mohawked little buggers :smiley:

    I would love to see them in ashes
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • blurblur Member, Founder
    Dwarves are often kind of cliche in MMOs which is why I avoid them. Elves too, maybe not quite to the same degree, but pretty close. This is not everyone's experience by ANY means. But it's certainly mine...!
  • AlyerialAlyerial Member
    It takes a particular type of player to choose the Dwarf race, and those players should be treasured. Not a dwarf player myself, but some of my best experiences - with the most laughs - have been running around with dwarf counterparts.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member
    Only Tulnar deserve to live under the ground!
    CAST OUT THE DIRT STEALERS! MASSACRE THE MOUNTAIN CLAIMERS!
    KkvMmA5.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    Damokles wrote: »
    Only Tulnar deserve to live under the ground!
    CAST OUT THE DIRT STEALERS! MASSACRE THE MOUNTAIN CLAIMERS!

    But can they Diggy dig
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • MarzzoMarzzo Member, Braver of Worlds
    ye
Sign In or Register to comment.