Town Guards

RyufuRyufu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
From the Pre-alpha footage, we see the guards don't seem to do much or anything. What is their role exactly? They didn't seem to attack nearby monsters. Do they attack corrupted players?

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • RyufuRyufu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2020
    Nagash wrote: »

Are monsters considered to be on their hate list??? It does not say. A thing that bothered me by the footage is that monsters could literally sit outside the level 3 node and the guards just sit there.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Please keep in mind this is still early alpha footage.

ALPHA Footage.

True alpha footage where the game is still being developed.

This is not an Asian important Alpha where the term "alpha" is being applied to a finished game that is just being localized. They are still actively building the game.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • grisugrisu Member
    To make a tl. Dr. I would say it's probably not built into the game yet.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Ryufu If you mean the dragons from the live stream, if I remember correctly, they commented on it and mentioned that's not how it's supposed to happen. Pretty sure that was a bug since I believe they were meant to attack the city.

Other regular mobs though I'd assume guards would defend the city if a hostile mob gets too close to it, like a zone of aggression.
  • I also would asume that normaly NPC guards defend against mobs but they are probably not programmed to do so yet.

On another note: In the wiki linked in the second post I just read this: NPCs will add a player to their hate list if that player heals, buffs or otherwise assists any player on their hate list.[4]
    Did they say how extensive that is? Does hate list mean having threat in combat so it only affects while they figth their targets? Or is hate list something long lasting and if so how will I as a player know that healing that one passing player will lead to me declaring war on an entire node?
  • tugowartugowar Member, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I hate when NPCs stand next to their tent but never go inside of it, for example. Make them patrol in a figure 8 so there is an illusion that they are not looping. Make them disappear for a short while.

Virtue is the only good.
  • RyufuRyufu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah I was more or less wanting to let the developers know that it is important to me that NPCs act someone realistic in the sense that they act the way they are titled. For example, a guard does what a guard is supposed to do or a merchant might yell out what they are selling. Stuff like that.

For this instance, I know Steven said the dragon weren't supposed to act that way, since the mobs were bugged, but I didn't want to assume that impacted how the guards reacted to them during the alpha footage. So, my bad for not clarifying that point.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ryufu wrote: »
    For this instance, I know Steven said the dragon weren't supposed to act that way, since the mobs were bugged, but I didn't want to assume that impacted how the guards reacted to them during the alpha footage. So, my bad for not clarifying that point.

Keep in mind, this game is likely 2 years away from release.

Details like how an NPC behaves would only be implemented when the developers know that specific NPC will be in the game, and what functions that NPC needs to be able to perform.

Essentially, this is actual alpha, as has been said. It isn't the alpha that some games have when their beta is really their release, making their alpha actually their beta, nor is it the alpha that MMO ports from other markets get, where the game is made and the alpha/beta are just there to test out the translation.
  • tugowartugowar Member, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    2 years from release? But the kick starter said 2019...

Virtue is the only good.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    tugowar wrote: »
    2 years from release? But the kick starter said 2019...

And here I thought it was 2018
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Alpha SoulAlpha Soul Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2020
    Ryufu wrote: »
    From the Pre-alpha footage, we see the guards don't seem to do much or anything. What is their role exactly? They didn't seem to attack nearby monsters. Do they attack corrupted players?

If your question is what is happening NOW? Right now they do not attack corrupt/aggressive players, or monsters.. or anyone for that matter. It's still early alpha and they have not gotten around to them yet. I did also see some set patrol's out in the wilderness though which was cool.

Corruption isn't fully implemented either though at this point.

As mentioned earlier, this is a true Alpha and not everything has been put together yet.