Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corruption system exploits

2»

Comments

• Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    The interesting issue is, the red players and Bounty Hunters will both be at 100% Combat ability and no further corruption will be gained by killing a Bounty Hunter. The better bet for this would to simply not be a Bounty Hunter but kill every red player you see.

No they are not. Corruption is supposed to make players weaker. That's the whole point, not just the red name and % chance to drop an item.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes, corruption does, but, when fighting a Bounty Hunter that weakness is removed. It is effectively a straight fight unless you take other Bounty Hunters along with you. Not to mention when you toggle Bounty Hunter you are visible to all corrupted players for an hour. No other bounty hunter system makes the bounty hunter visible. If you had a Bounty Hunter on you in real life would the bounty hunter send you a note saying 'Here I am, I'm coming for you.'
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    And the part people keep leaving out in order for them to get corrupted you have to not fight back giving yourself double the penalty you would have if you did. So unless people are willing to screw themself over with double penalty you won’t get corruption
  • Options
    Aardvark wrote: »
    And the part people keep leaving out in order for them to get corrupted you have to not fight back giving yourself double the penalty you would have if you did. So unless people are willing to screw themself over with double penalty you won’t get corruption

I kinda don't see what the issue is with the system currently.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes, corruption does, but, when fighting a Bounty Hunter that weakness is removed. It is effectively a straight fight unless you take other Bounty Hunters along with you. Not to mention when you toggle Bounty Hunter you are visible to all corrupted players for an hour. No other bounty hunter system makes the bounty hunter visible. If you had a Bounty Hunter on you in real life would the bounty hunter send you a note saying 'Here I am, I'm coming for you.'

When was this mentioned? I know bounty hunters can see corrupted players but I have never heard of it being the other way around.
  • Options
    phdmonster wrote: »

There is no issue, a Corrupted Player will be on my Kill on Sight list, literally, all of them. But if the Devs think I'll accept a Bounty Hunter contract when the Bounty Hunter becomes prey to all Corrupted People they can think again. The main reason being I'm already a target for corrupted people, but, the corrupted person will stumble onto me as a non Bounty Hunter, but, as a Bounty Hunter they will track me and prepare for my arrival.

A bit counter-intuitive perhaps but in World PvP we do what we can to survive.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    phdmonster wrote: »

There is no issue, a Corrupted Player will be on my Kill on Sight list, literally, all of them. But if the Devs think I'll accept a Bounty Hunter contract when the Bounty Hunter becomes prey to all Corrupted People they can think again. The main reason being I'm already a target for corrupted people, but, the corrupted person will stumble onto me as a non Bounty Hunter, but, as a Bounty Hunter they will track me and prepare for my arrival.

A bit counter-intuitive perhaps but in World PvP we do what we can to survive.

So, basically you don't want it to be a fair fight? Is that it?
    If you can see them, then you can prepare too, the same way they can prepare.

The point of the corruption system is to punish bad faith PvP. The Bounty Huinter system is a soecietal structure in Nodes that provides another level of progression, which is supposed to be a challenge not rolling over corrupted players with so many debuf they can barely walk.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    So you believe I should be at risk because some person didn't want to PvP in the first place and made someone Corrupted?

What moral basis do you have to suggest Bounty Hunters deserve such treatment? Bounty Hunters are there to assist the server, but, if they are given ineffective tools, then there will be less Bounty Hunters to mop up after pathetic people who caused the Corruption in the first place. If I want to protect myself I'll kill as many Corrupted people that I see, because I'm not scared of PvP unlike some. People won't turn corrupted fighting me so why should i worry about other people's issue with corrupted players.

You just can't help some people. All i suggested was someone not going Bounty Hunter and killing Corrupted Players. I see no issues with repeating the same advice. Many hands make light work.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    I see the system like this...

The game encourages consensual PvP. It discourages non-consensual PvP, and discourages people from trying to avoid PvP. Corruption is what discourages non-consensual PvP. Increased XP and resource loss is what discourages PvP avoidance.

The system is set up that you are better off being purple all the time. But it won’t force you to be. You can be red or green, but at a cost either way.

I see this as necessary for their vision. They want meaningful PvP without forcing it on you. The only way for PvP to be meaningful is if people are encouraged to engage in it, and the only way to keep the game from becoming toxic is to discourage griefing. So there are compromises to try to thread the needle.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    So you believe I should be at risk because some person didn't want to PvP in the first place and made someone Corrupted?

What moral basis do you have to suggest Bounty Hunters deserve such treatment? Bounty Hunters are there to assist the server, but, if they are given ineffective tools, then there will be less Bounty Hunters to mop up after pathetic people who caused the Corruption in the first place. If I want to protect myself I'll kill as many Corrupted people that I see, because I'm not scared of PvP unlike some. People won't turn corrupted fighting me so why should i worry about other people's issue with corrupted players.

You just can't help some people. All i suggested was someone not going Bounty Hunter and killing Corrupted Players. I see no issues with repeating the same advice. Many hands make light work.

Ehm. You can NOT go Bounty Hunter, but then you will miss the perks the Bounty Hunter society gives. As for whether Bounty Hunters deserve such treatment, although i'm not sure what treatment you are talking about - I don't see the problem. BHs don't get corruption from killing bounties/corrupted, corrupted players don't get more corruption from killing BHs. Both sides can see each other on the map, although i think corrupted can only see BH for a limited time.
  • Options
    The matter of fact remains, that, Corrupted Players are a nuisance and must be controlled. I do not give rats machine guns and then try and exterminate the rats. Bounty Hunter perks are all well and good but if PvE players are going to rely solely on Bounty Hunters to control the Corrupted Players then servers will become over run. I don't see why I - as a PvP Player, must pander to PvE Players who refuse to fight in consensual PvP. In Lineage 2 it is the 'corrupted' who become visible. You remind me of the WoW players who refused to obtain a Legendary Cloak because the prerequisite was 2 Arena Wins.

I do not believe Ashes has Care Bear PvP but I see the PvErs want Care Bear Protection. It sounds to me like you would let a Corrupted Player kill you over and over again rather than killing the corrupted player. This to me is madness and no Bounty Hunter can fast travel to protect you. All in all the system is flawed, the innovations are counter productive and certain players will exacerbate the issues. I do not believe Bounty Hunters will out number the Corrupted Players at this rate.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    The matter of fact remains, that, Corrupted Players are a nuisance and must be controlled. I do not give rats machine guns and then try and exterminate the rats. Bounty Hunter perks are all well and good but if PvE players are going to rely solely on Bounty Hunters to control the Corrupted Players then servers will become over run. I don't see why I - as a PvP Player, must pander to PvE Players who refuse to fight in consensual PvP. In Lineage 2 it is the 'corrupted' who become visible. You remind me of the WoW players who refused to obtain a Legendary Cloak because the prerequisite was 2 Arena Wins.

Could you please tell me where you saw that bounty hunters become visable because this is the first I have heard of it. The system has always had it so that the corrupted become visible to the bounty hunter.

This might be a miss-understanding.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    This might be a miss-understanding.

Yes, you are right. I read the flagged aspect and flagged for combat, I assumed this would highlight the Bounty Hunter approach. I assume one could wait until the last minute to enable it, and thus killing the corrupted player with stealth parameters until combat ensues. I still believe people should kill corrupted on sight but I see a valid way through my own personal dilemma and will most likely reaccept the Bounty Hunter role from a Military Node. It sounds the same as Lineage 2 so I'm happier than I was. I was going to go Bounty Hunter and go for gankers originally, I'm aware lower levels can't defend from higher levels. I'd still advocate many hands make light work.

Thank you, mcstackerson :)
    All the best.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif