Movement

I've played more than my share of MMOs, and one of the primary aspects that turned me away from different games was the control schemes. World of Warcraft has its flaws, but the smooth character movement and use of abilities has definitely set the standard in my eyes. What game feels the closest?

Comments

• LafiLafi Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    its quite hard to say sadly.
    the people that are able to play the current build are under strict visual NDA so we can't know EXACTLY how it feels, however there has been a range of gameplay footage of the pre-alpha you can check out, for example:
    (i dont know forum's rules on links, so if i need to edit lmk) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkwaYLOuw2s

regarding your point about abilities etc, the combat system is reguarly compared to guild wars 2 and archeage. i have many thousand hours into GW2 and the combat is up there for PvX titles, including player movement, responsiveness and tempo. i never did archeage so hopefully an AA player can give you a better perspective on that end.

with A1 coming sometime in fall 2020, we're going to see a LOT of content released for the game as the NDA is lifted at that point. Keep an eye out!

Lafi
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Please do not go by what we are seeing now. This is a very early iteration of pretty much all systems. Once A1 fully opens, people will be able to stream and you will be able to watch the game get better.
  • From the footage I've seen thus far, the movement APPEARS to be pretty fluid and intuitive. I just hope it works out the same from a player perspective vs the spectator.

As for the abilities functioning with weapon systems, I typically don't like them. I think it's a really difficult concept to pull off. Elder Scrolls failed horribly in that regard in my opinion. Guild Wars 2 was much more well done. With GW2, I had a blast when I first started playing, but I found the combat very limited in the long term. Judging from what I've seen, AoC has higher potential and I really hope they will make this work in a way that flows with my quirky personality. :smile:
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    IdleWolf wrote: »
    Guild Wars 2 was much more well done. With GW2, I had a blast when I first started playing, but I found the combat very limited in the long term.

GW2 had a combat nerf. Happened about the same time PvE was expanded.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    Neurath wrote: »
    Guild Wars 2 was much more well done. With GW2, I had a blast when I first started playing, but I found the combat very limited in the long term.

GW2 had a combat nerf. Happened about the same time PvE was expanded.

GW2 largescale is now about stacking 50+ people into a 2m x 2m square then running into the other zerg and screaming to clense condi and cleave downstates.
    sadly pvp in gw2 is a dying deer that's being mauled by a pack of wovles as vultures circle overhead waiting for the wolves to finish.
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • I think if you're going to do a weapon system, it should have a hack n slash type feel to an extent, with spells added on top for additional beautification and greater variety in playstyles. Maybe similar to Vindictus for the melee combat? One thing I really enjoyed about that game was the manipulation of physics and the destruction of the environment.

Watching the gameplay footage, there does seem to be a hint of hack n slash style fighting with the click-to-attack system, and it looks clean.
    I think if you're going to do a weapon system, it should have a hack n slash type feel to an extent, with spells added on top for additional beautification and greater variety in playstyles. Maybe similar to Vindictus for the melee combat? One thing I really enjoyed about that game was the manipulation of physics and the destruction of the environment.

Watching the gameplay footage, there does seem to be a hint of hack n slash style fighting with the click-to-attack system, and it looks clean.

the gameplay you see is pre-alpha. the combat is going to get a LOT of work done.
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • Lafi wrote: »
    I think if you're going to do a weapon system, it should have a hack n slash type feel to an extent, with spells added on top for additional beautification and greater variety in playstyles. Maybe similar to Vindictus for the melee combat? One thing I really enjoyed about that game was the manipulation of physics and the destruction of the environment.

the gameplay you see is pre-alpha. the combat is going to get a LOT of work done.

Indeed. I think this game has more potential than any I've seen before and I've played em all! A game that is for gamers, by gamers, will see many of the flaws that have repeatedly popped up game after game resolved (I hope and believe!)
  • Being compiled on UE4, the games movement will likely feel similar to AION/BnS. It will likely be less smooth than WoW, but still "crisp"
    Lafi wrote: »

Indeed. I think this game has more potential than any I've seen before and I've played em all! A game that is for gamers, by gamers, will see many of the flaws that have repeatedly popped up game after game resolved (I hope and believe!)

look out for the alpha 1 testers releasing a bunch of content by the end of the year then.
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell