Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will there be item enchanting similar to Lineage 2?

Anyone know if you'll be able to enchant your gear in a similar manner to L2, where it increases your Damage/Defence depending on weapon/armor each time you enchant it, with the possibility of destroying your gear?

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes you can mate, you can also break items through over-enchanting.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I hope they don't implement RNG based crafting and enchanting. Some people love gamble, but in my vision is pretty frustrating to have this kind of gamble in places that luck doesn't need to be a factor, like crafting and enchanting.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Here's a nice little nugget ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuHURNZCdUg
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Neurath got it spot on!
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    ReinaldoNSReinaldoNS Member
    edited July 2020
    Neurath wrote: »
    Tanks for the video. I would prefer to have flat enchants instead of gamble +N enchantments. In the video they try to make it looks "optional", but if you can make a piece of gear +10, it will be required if you want to have the best "Big Dragon Sword". Make it RNG, some people will have it with an hour of farm and others with 10 hrs of farm, and worst, have the chance to lose your item and start it again (I hope break the item is not the part of "some RNG" they mention in the video). Keep the RNG only for the drop of required items.

• Options
    LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited July 2020
    ReinaldoNS wrote: »
    Tanks for the video. I would prefer to have flat enchants instead of gamble +N enchantments. In the video they try to make it looks "optional", but if you can make a piece of gear +10, it will be required if you want to have the best "Big Dragon Sword". Make it RNG, some people will have it with an hour of farm and others with 10 hrs of farm, and worst, have the chance to lose your item and start it again (I hope break the item is not the part of "some RNG" they mention in the video). Keep the RNG only for the drop of required items.

I agree I'm worried about the enchanting system. I definitely believe it'll be like other games where to be competitive you have to participate in the gambling/RNG/gear break risk part of enchanting. It'll be so powerful having a+10 or +15 or whatever that you'll have to try to get there otherwise you are too undergeared to participate. I hate Korean MMO's that do that so I really hope they change it here. There's absolutely nothing fun about that and people complain about those systems in every game that has one.

They do by the way say you can break the item if you over-enchant but I'm not sure how far that is.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Enchanting
  • Options
    Peon501Peon501 Member
    edited July 2020
    I dislike burning items method aka. gambling way
    It is a very cringy, cheap, and outdated system. VERY OUTDATED!!
    They should use wow like system and move on.

• Options
    MakosiMakosi Member
    Leiloni wrote: »

I agree I'm worried about the enchanting system. I definitely believe it'll be like other games where to be competitive you have to participate in the gambling/RNG/gear break risk part of enchanting. It'll be so powerful having a+10 or +15 or whatever that you'll have to try to get there otherwise you are too undergeared to participate. I hate Korean MMO's that do that so I really hope they change it here. There's absolutely nothing fun about that and people complain about those systems in every game that has one.

They do by the way say you can break the item if you over-enchant but I'm not sure how far that is.

Sorry I disagree, the very idea of enchanting something above the point where it can break is the very epitome of fun! You work hard for something and then you make it better or you break it completely so you can work hard for it again, even better if they make crafting NOT 100% success rate, so say you want some really good sword, you gather mats for a week and then you press the craft button and your heart stops for a moment just to see a little message pop - Your craft was successful! Man that's like an orgasm right there, now same with enchanting it's already pretty decent sword at + 7 but you have this scroll do it just go for that + 8 ah man all time stops, bar fills up AND....you got it! Sweet, try to go for + 9 and it breaks into dust but the dopamine rush makes it alright it was fun, now back to grind. Not only this would work as money sink (much better than decay system where you need to break stuff constantly just to fix existing stuff) but it would also keep players grinding as items would break constantly. This is a really good system
  • Options
    MakosiMakosi Member
    Peon501 wrote: »

I haven't played wow, what's their system of enchanting?
  • Options
    Makosi wrote: »
    Leiloni wrote: »

Sorry I disagree, the very idea of enchanting something above the point where it can break is the very epitome of fun! You work hard for something and then you make it better or you break it completely so you can work hard for it again, even better if they make crafting NOT 100% success rate, so say you want some really good sword, you gather mats for a week and then you press the craft button and your heart stops for a moment just to see a little message pop - Your craft was successful! Man that's like an orgasm right there, now same with enchanting it's already pretty decent sword at + 7 but you have this scroll do it just go for that + 8 ah man all time stops, bar fills up AND....you got it! Sweet, try to go for + 9 and it breaks into dust but the dopamine rush makes it alright it was fun, now back to grind. Not only this would work as money sink (much better than decay system where you need to break stuff constantly just to fix existing stuff) but it would also keep players grinding as items would break constantly. This is a really good system

I think you missed the /s at the end.
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    I’d rather not see overenchanted items. If you want ten enchants, you’d best be at a point where you can easily farm for those mats when your gear breaks from unsuccessful overenchanting.

The whole point is so people don’t have tons of enchants on their gear with no risk. I’m sure the risk will be reduced with levels into Enchanting, but it should always be present in some way
  • Options
    Peon501Peon501 Member
    edited July 2020
    Makosi wrote: »

I haven't played wow, what's their system of enchanting?
    Basically, items don't burn, you get enchanting materials by disenchanting other items and collecting various materials and then you enchant player items and so on.
    Explanation and detail information about it click here(wow head)
    Look at this video about classic wow enchanting: Click here
  • Options
    tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Many of the systems could be considered "outdated." There is a reason that AOC is swinging back to those outdated systems though. They summarize that as Risk vs Reward.

Many of these systems will also lead to more social interactions, as well as putting a higher premium on top tier enchanters.

Virtue is the only good.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Caeryl wrote: »
    I’d rather not see overenchanted items. If you want ten enchants, you’d best be at a point where you can easily farm for those mats when your gear breaks from unsuccessful overenchanting.

The whole point is so people don’t have tons of enchants on their gear with no risk. I’m sure the risk will be reduced with levels into Enchanting, but it should always be present in some way

All that does it make another time sink. Time sinks in general are not fun.
  • Options
    Peon501Peon501 Member
    edited July 2020
    tugowar wrote: »

Many of the systems could be considered "outdated." There is a reason that AOC is swinging back to those outdated systems though. They summarize that as Risk vs Reward.

Many of these systems will also lead to more social interactions, as well as putting a higher premium on top tier enchanters.

How are you going to sell enchants if it is gambling based and your client item gets destroyed?
    It just bad vibes, and bad client experience.
    That would discourage player to buy enchants.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

How are you going to sell enchants if it is gambling based and your client item gets destroyed?

Enchant scroll ? Enchanter makes a single use scroll that anyone can try to apply ? Wow had that. Also I am more scared this reminds Me of never winter each tier of rune required 2 of the rune before to combine but if it failed you could loose them both. But if you paid $5 in the store you could get an item to guarantee that single combine would not fail... that sucked so much I think the top tier was 99 percent fail without the store item
  • Options
    Peon501Peon501 Member
    edited July 2020
    Aardvark wrote: »

Enchant scroll? Enchanter makes a single use scroll that anyone can try to apply ?
    Nah it is the bad vibe on bad vibe gambling mechanisms that discourage players of buying them.
    I would like a more social wow based system where you talk with your client, negotiate, and enchant their items. You make your clients circle, create discounts for loyal clients, and so on.
  • Options

Enchant scroll? Enchanter makes a single use scroll that anyone can try to apply ?
    Nah it is the bad vibe on bad vibe gambling mechanisms that discourage players of buying them.
    I would like a more social wow based system where you talk with your client, negotiate, and enchant their items. You make your clients circle, create discounts for loyal clients, and so on.

So want to use the old wow method...you know the one where every city is spammed nonstop with people selling enchants and it taking forever to find clients....they went away from that garbarge because people hated it.
  • Options
    Peon501Peon501 Member
    edited July 2020

So want to use the old wow method...you know the one where every city is spammed nonstop with people selling enchants and it taking forever to find clients....they went away from that garbarge because people hated it.
    Well, there will always be spammers kicked out of the guild with a bad server rep who doesn't have their client circle, but good enchanters will always be accepted into good guilds.

The profession itself as enchanting is very useful in the inner guild communities.
    Enchanters are respected in their guilds and contribute to guild success in raiding and so on.
    Guild mate gives mats to enchanter to enchant or buys enchant for its full price.

Other guild members also like to buy enchants from well-known enchanters and so on.
    Ofc they could add generic scrolls for selling in auction houses, but these should be lower tear stuff.
  • Options

Well, there will always be spammers kicked out of the guild with a bad server rep who doesn't have their client circle, but good enchanters will always be accepted into good guilds.

The profession itself as enchanting is very useful in the inner guild communities.
    Enchanters are respected in their guilds and contribute to guild success in raiding and so on.
    Guild mate gives mats to enchanter to enchant or buys enchant for its full price.

Other guild members also like to buy enchants from well-known enchanters and so on.
    Ofc they could add generic scrolls for selling in auction houses, but these should be lower tear stuff.

What games did you play? In pretty much every game I have ever played professions unless you had something noone else had were a losing battle as there were always 100s of people on every server selling the end product for less than the mats to make it to try to level up only to find out there are 100s of people at max level of that profession so you basically work for tips and never make back what you lost leveling up. About the only exception to this is if you get a rare drop noone else has then for a short while you make money. In every MMO I have ever played if you want money you gather mats or proccess them. If you want a huge money sink that never pays off you craft.
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member

It’s not a time sink if you don’t insist on having too many enchantments. The risk must be comparable to the reward. When you add two or three enchants to an item your risk will not be absurdly high.

When you decide you must have ten enchantments, you have opted into a high risk scenario of your own accord. I’m certain it will never be necessary to have that many on a single item to be effective at a role. If you wanna be in the top .0001% then you can spend that time regrinding to go overboard on your gear. For everyone else, it’s entirely unnecessary.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

It’s not a time sink if you don’t insist on having too many enchantments. The risk must be comparable to the reward. When you add two or three enchants to an item your risk will not be absurdly high.

When you decide you must have ten enchantments, you have opted into a high risk scenario of your own accord. I’m certain it will never be necessary to have that many on a single item to be effective at a role. If you wanna be in the top .0001% then you can spend that time regrinding to go overboard on your gear. For everyone else, it’s entirely unnecessary.

Sounds like you would love the Korean MMOs that many hate...infinte level with a soft cap is the same nonsence and is very unpopular in the US
  • Options

Sounds like you would love the Korean MMOs that many hate...infinte level with a soft cap is the same nonsence and is very unpopular in the US

Yea, that would be bs.
    I would go with 1 enchant system per item.
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member

I’m not into grind in order to be effective

But Ashes isn’t going to ever going to require ten enchants on an item to be effective, so your snark is unwarranted.
  • Options
    I find it very odd that the man who ragequit Archeage is going to employ the same exact enchanting system they used...
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I find it very odd that the man who ragequit Archeage is going to employ the same exact enchanting system they used...

The enchanting system was never a thing I had an issue with in Archeage. The tuning of it was a problem, as were peoples expectations of where they should enchant their gear to, but the system itself was great.
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »

The enchanting system was never a thing I had an issue with in Archeage. The tuning of it was a problem, as were peoples expectations of where they should enchant their gear to, but the system itself was great.

That and the fact that p2w fed into the system, is what bothered me.

Honestly if it was tuned differently and there was no cash-shop, the enchanting itself is something I liked about ArcheAge. The risk vs reward was fun... (again, if there wasn't a p2w element)
  • Options
    LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited July 2020
    Steven commented on this system yesterday in the TimtheTatman inverview (around 16:20, video below).

I'm concerned that it's going to be like other Korean MMO's (BDO being the most recent but just one in a long line of games) where you have to go out of your way to grind for it because nobody will just have the mats from normal play. Especially with the unpredictable element of luck factored in, so it's not really a gold sink if you don't even have gold to waste on it to begin with. Aside from the gold sink argument, Korean MMO's generally add these systems to drive people to the cash shop to buy items to make it easier to enchant, but this game won't have that, so why then still have the enchant system?

This game has all this cool content and a player driven world, but much could be wasted if we're just grinding to get gear so we can finally have fun much of the time, and then grinding to maintain said gear (via the item decay and repair systems).

Not to mention the community as it always does will set a high bar for what's needed to be competitive, so everyone will have to enter the frustrating RNG side of the enchanting. That alone will cause a lot of people to question whether they want to even play the game to deal with that (especially the hardcores that are going to want to be the best of the best). Let's remember we're not the same gamers we were 10-15 years ago. People optimized the fun out of WoW Classic and it was not at all like Vanilla was. What makes you think people aren't going to make the enchanting system already even more terrible than it already is?

I've also read some people are concerned that it will encourage people to illegally buy gold to get around the problem which is another valid point we should be worried about. Others have pointed out the potential for it to increase the disparity between hardcore and casual players (considering the aging demographic for an MMO like this, this could also be an issue and you don't want to drive away the casuals).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8UmFQGDnI4&feature=youtu.be&t=980
  • Options
    WMC51WMC51 Member
    Never played lineage 2 but how does that system compare to the realm on line if anyone here is that old? I remember perm enchanting swords with each extra having an increased chance to destroy it.

25 years I still remember that and it having instanced player housing.
  • Options
    I would say the number one issue with this form of enchanting is that it just simply isn't fun. Firstly it creates unnecessary overly tuned Meta's which dull the fun out of late game experiences for all but the 1% of the 1%, secondly this system becomes such a time-sink that not only does it have little reward for the sheer amount of risk, but it turns the game into simply logging on to enchant, run dailies for mats and log off. Third it destroys repeatability for Western players, once a Western player has this gear, they will not want to make a new toon because of the level of frustration. Lastly this system always bleeds into other areas of gameplay, where the Devs are hardpressed to tune their games around such systems, further exasperating the above, but also taking some of the allure of playing the game your way. When the Meta becomes to play a certain race, enchant 100x wearing specific gear with the 5 most specific classes it just ruins the game.

A game like AoC which requires an openly non-meta system that has to thrive on mass casuals running the foundations of nodes while more Elite players command territory, destroying 90% of your playerbase will only spell complete doom and failure for a territory based MMORPG sandbox game.