Item Decay

Am i worrying to much about item decay in this game? It sounds fun and interesting at first then it sounds like massive nuisance mid to late game. Your early items wont require much to repair, but lets say end game and you have armor from a dragon raid boss and your raid gets taken away because the node is gone and a new raid is up. Is your armor dead now since you cant get that material anymore? Or lets just make it more basic and your out playing with your friends, your gear breaks and you cant just repair it by a basic vendor and you have to go back to town and try to find a crafter to fix it. There is no fast travel and it might take you 10- 30 mins depending on how far your town is just to get it fixed. And during this time your friends either just sit and wait or they continue to play without you. I really dont want to have to worry about something trivial when i could just be playing the game and enjoying it.

Comments

• prymortalprymortal Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    They have to have thought of this since if this happened or any PVP apect blocked PVE in anyway that impacts progression of a player they will permanently lose that part of there player base prior at any fixes they can think of after the fact.
    I'm sure they are aware of the great 2018 MMO failure that make players so unforgiving & cautious. Many of us still have the pitchforks & torches from last time.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    It is somewhat unlikely that there will be a material needed to repair items that will be limited to dropping from just one encounter, so the chances of being completely cut off from repair materials should be very low.

In terms of being out and having to repair gear, in other games where item degredation is a thing, players just keep a second set of gear on them - not that hard to overcome.
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    As described in the interviews that Steven gave today, there will be almost no bound items in game. Instead, items will need to be broken down to use the materials for repairing current gear. i.e. A iron sword will need iron that can be gained from breaking down iron items to repair the sword.

Interviews:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=H0LQSMT83L0&t=1467s

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m45n4CTfqlU

• The dawi of Karaz Ankor will use this information immediately.
    1595274201-runesmith.jpg
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As described in the interviews that Steven gave today, there will be almost no bound items in game. Instead, items will need to be broken down to use the materials for repairing current gear. i.e. A iron sword will need iron that can be gained from breaking down iron items to repair the sword.

Interviews:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=H0LQSMT83L0&t=1467s

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m45n4CTfqlU

So when a legendary dagger drops not only the people who want to use it will need it but also anyone with a legenardy item who needs it to use as material to repair their item. While on the surface I like the idea I see it leading to tons of ninja looting because everyone will need everything that is legendary to repair their other legendary items.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    For starters, if you are comparing this to a loot system like wow then stop. Since we have a system like this, the loot system will be adjusted to account for this. Don't think there will be less loot because you have to repair it.

Keep in mind if you ninja loot an item, the server will learn about it and anyone else will be hesitant to take you along on your raid. Even if you get with another group, you and that group will have to deal with the wrath of the guild you screwed over and there will be plenty of ways to hurt you.

If anything, it deters ninja looting as getting the item isn't the end like it is in wow. If you get the item but can't maintain it then what's the point?

For starters, if you are comparing this to a loot system like wow then stop. Since we have a system like this, the loot system will be adjusted to account for this. Don't think there will be less loot because you have to repair it.

Keep in mind if you ninja loot an item, the server will learn about it and anyone else will be hesitant to take you along on your raid. Even if you get with another group, you and that group will have to deal with the wrath of the guild you screwed over and there will be plenty of ways to hurt you.

If anything, it deters ninja looting as getting the item isn't the end like it is in wow. If you get the item but can't maintain it then what's the point?

That is all find and dandy but doesn't change the fact that every person in there is going to have a legitamate use for the item that dropped. Weather you want to equip it or repair your damaged item either way you actually need the item.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    Aardvark wrote: »

That is all find and dandy but doesn't change the fact that every person in there is going to have a legitamate use for the item that dropped. Weather you want to equip it or repair your damaged item either way you actually need the item.

Yep and it can also be broken down and the materials used to create another weapon. Hell, the dagger the dropped will most likely not be as optimal as one a crafter made since a crafter can shift the stats around, possibly put things on it that aren't there.

Keep in mind, the resources to create the dagger will also drop with the dagger. Gathers also might be able to harvest bonus materials from the boss.

But yes, you don't want to be with a shitty guild the hordes all resources for the officers but i'd imagine the drop rate would be enough so there isn't much of a reason to do this.
  • If your guild won't even give you mats to repair your dagger after you helped with a whole dungeon/raid, you should probably just find another guild... And maybe consider killing the person with the mats and taking them with you, when you go.
  • BobbyBickBobbyBick Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sounds great. I'm all for lots of decay, getting a full set of BIS gear then having nothing to do is what causes me more burnout than anything.
    So when a legendary dagger drops not only the people who want to use it will need it but also anyone with a legenardy item who needs it to use as material to repair their item. While on the surface I like the idea I see it leading to tons of ninja looting because everyone will need everything that is legendary to repair their other legendary items.
    Keep in mind, not only are WoW loot rules not super applicable in Ashes, but WoW drop rates are also not applicable.

If you have two games - one where a player loots an item and then has it until they get an upgrade, and one where a player loots an item but then needs to continually keep it repaired - you don't set the drop rate of items the same in both games.

You don't necessarily increase the drop rate of the dagger in the example given, but you may well have a more common place for the materials needed to repair the item.

If you have a dagger that needs iron to repair it (and nothing else), then sure, you could get that iron from another dagger. You could also just mine for it though.

We don't know anything in terms of details about item repair yet, so we can't really say it is an issue. On the other hand, if we are all looking at Ashes and thinking the game looks great and the developers know what they are doing, then we have to assume that they will tune the systems in their game to work in their game.

noaani wrote: »
    Keep in mind, not only are WoW loot rules not super applicable in Ashes, but WoW drop rates are also not applicable.

If you have two games - one where a player loots an item and then has it until they get an upgrade, and one where a player loots an item but then needs to continually keep it repaired - you don't set the drop rate of items the same in both games.

You don't necessarily increase the drop rate of the dagger in the example given, but you may well have a more common place for the materials needed to repair the item.

If you have a dagger that needs iron to repair it (and nothing else), then sure, you could get that iron from another dagger. You could also just mine for it though.

We don't know anything in terms of details about item repair yet, so we can't really say it is an issue. On the other hand, if we are all looking at Ashes and thinking the game looks great and the developers know what they are doing, then we have to assume that they will tune the systems in their game to work in their game.

See in the other thread you said the stuff would not be common enough for anyone to be selling it to others who didn't do the run and in this one you are saying there will be plenty. Which is it there will be none getting sold because it is rare or there will be plenty to keep your stuff repaired and it will also be getting sold left and right. It can't both be common enough to keep all your raiders geared and repaired while also being too rare for someone to buy.
    edited July 2020
    See in the other thread you said the stuff would not be common enough for anyone to be selling it to others who didn't do the run and in this one you are saying there will be plenty.
    I'm saying there will be an appropriate amount.

There is no reason to assume that players will be unable to find the resources they need to repair items, and there is no reason to assume that top end loot will be so common that raids will be selling off the best materials they are able to get hold of.

Basically, make the assumption that Intrepid are competent developers.
  • I think this is a valid concern, but one that should be brought up once we've seen (and tested) more. I think you are worrying too much, at this early a stage. ATM anything could happen, but Steven and his team are very experienced when it comes to gaming and MMOs and I doubt something like this is what's going to trip them up.

I think it'll be fine!
  • I'm worried about it too, OP. It sounds like an unnecessary grind to take away from the fun part of the game. Here's the quote for anyone who is hopping in here not knowing what it is -

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Item_repair#Item_durability
    There is durability in the game... It's not going to be a trivial durability. There is a potential to destroy gear (weapons and armor), but there is also an ability to reforge that destroyed gear using a portion of the materials necessary as well as finding an item creator who can reforge it.
  • It sounds pretty necessary to me.
  • tugowartugowar Member, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thinks that sink resources out of the economy are necessary for macro balance.

Yes, it means everyone grinds a little bit.

For the greater good.

*the greater good*

Virtue is the only good.
    Leiloni wrote: »
    I'm worried about it too, OP. It sounds like an unnecessary grind to take away from the fun part of the game. Here's the quote for anyone who is hopping in here not knowing what it is -

There is durability in the game... It's not going to be a trivial durability. There is a potential to destroy gear (weapons and armor), but there is also an ability to reforge that destroyed gear using a portion of the materials necessary as well as finding an item creator who can reforge it.

Yea, it's not for everyone but for some, it adds to the fun. Different strokes for different folks.

One thing i'd say, if you haven't played a system like this, i'd try it first. If you haven't played it then you probably are applying what you know from systems that don't have to compensate for this aspect. It's not going to be as bad as you think. There also might be aspects and/or consequences of it that you enjoy.
    I hope it doesn’t mean you have to walk into a raid with 2 sets of everything because you don’t know when you will roll a critical fail on durability
  • Leiloni wrote: »
    I'm worried about it too, OP. It sounds like an unnecessary grind to take away from the fun part of the game. Here's the quote for anyone who is hopping in here not knowing what it is -

Yea, it's not for everyone but for some, it adds to the fun. Different strokes for different folks.

One thing i'd say, if you haven't played a system like this, i'd try it first. If you haven't played it then you probably are applying what you know from systems that don't have to compensate for this aspect. It's not going to be as bad as you think. There also might be aspects and/or consequences of it that you enjoy.

Between this system and the enchanting system I already know what's going to happen. Tons of games have already done both of these things, so history is pretty clear. People are going to have to grind tons of gold and mats nonstop and most average players tend to hate that. So either they quit (after whining a lot), or they bot and/or buy gold. That's what we're going to get whether you like it or not, unless these systems are changed or deleted entirely.

Between this system and the enchanting system I already know what's going to happen. Tons of games have already done both of these things, so history is pretty clear. People are going to have to grind tons of gold and mats nonstop and most average players tend to hate that. So either they quit (after whining a lot), or they bot and/or buy gold. That's what we're going to get whether you like it or not, unless these systems are changed or deleted entirely.
    Yep been there seen it.
  • Leiloni wrote: »

I don't find "change the game to how I want it, or the game will die" very constructive. If it isn't for you, move on.

And people never bought gold or raid runs/arena carries in wow?

You kind of changed the argument on me, we were talking about durability and repair and now you are bringing up the enchanting system.

For starters, there are also plenty of games that haven't done these things and still are grinds. I don't think these feature alone equal grind though players threshold for what they consider a grind varies.

For over enchanting, I don't think we know enough about the system. It's been framed as an extra thing you can do so we are not sure how crazy the benefits are.

Steven has taken a lot of inspiration from eastern games but one thing he wants to try to avoid is heavy grinds so there's that. Time will tell and it's not until we can play the game that we will sort out how things should be.

I don't find "change the game to how I want it, or the game will die" very constructive. If it isn't for you, move on.
    Because the best most useful part of every mmo is when people say go away play something else just because they disagree
  • I actually prefer item/weapon decay/degradation because it rewards players for picking their battles and can punish impatient players for lack of preparation.

While at the same time, lending itself to invite players to improvise on the fly if a battle extends to beyond the point of their weapon's total integrity or take time to make a coordinated plan with their gear and load-out. Love the possibilities!
    ezgif-3-b7b5eae89b.gif
    Ljosalfar wrote: »
    I actually prefer item/weapon decay/degradation because it rewards players for picking their battles and can punish impatient players for lack of preparation.

While at the same time, lending itself to invite players to improvise on the fly if a battle extends to beyond the point of their weapon's total integrity or take time to make a coordinated plan with their gear and load-out. Love the possibilities!

Really it just makes them need on 2 full sets of gear so they have backups. In other words makes everyone more greedy
  • Aardvark wrote: »
    I actually prefer item/weapon decay/degradation because it rewards players for picking their battles and can punish impatient players for lack of preparation.

Really it just makes them need on 2 full sets of gear so they have backups. In other words makes everyone more greedy

Still part of the fantasy. Greedy characters, noble characters, heroes need their gear to get the job done. Artisans need work.
    ezgif-3-b7b5eae89b.gif

Don't forget that inAshes, most groups will be with people you know, and presumably trust.

The simple lack of an automated system for forming groups means that most of the issues that arise in pickup groups will be significantly less of an issue in Ashes.

People tend to not take items they don't truely need when they would otherwise go to a friend that is more in need of the item.

While this is obviously not an absolute, it really does take the issues of ninja looting and people taking loot for greed based reasons and put them right at the bottm of things to be concerned about.
    edited July 2020
    noaani wrote: »

The simple lack of an automated system for forming groups means that most of the issues that arise in pickup groups will be significantly less of an issue in Ashes.

The lack of a system for forming groups means tons of group lfm chat spam and finding that last person to fill your group being a pain. Taking out QoL items is not always a positive. Sometimes it is but many games added the QoL items for a reason.
    Yes friend runs and guild runs are great but when you need 1 more than whose on thats not cool to have to spam chat for a random.
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    You could try the local taverns in your node and find groups. Worked in older MMOs. Cantinas were the place to start groups in SWG.

Edit: Though to be fair players had to heal wounds via musicians and dancers in cantinas. I don't think Ashes will have the same vibe.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif