Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should you even PVP ? (Corruption)

When I heard there will be the corruption system on players pvp'ing and debuffs such as being marked for bounty hunters, towns being hostile and dropping weapons, I had a thought.

While this does mean players wanting to roam freely without fear of getting ganked will be safer, for some players they do want to be hunting others for loot (I assume you can loot), not grinding PvE.

Whilst I'm not into PVP other than group style mayhem, I feel like there's no reward for being that kind of bad guy who doesn't afraid of anything.

Scarcity of resources being a reason for PVP doesn't mean everyone wants to pvp because its fun to gank noobs show mad skillz.

Maybe griefing will be a thing that persists, I hope it will because for all its faults and toxicity, it's the necessary salt in our collective wounds. Something like that.

Thoughts?
ObHAXye.png

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't even know if I'll be a part of a Node, if my Guild doesn't want a Castle I won't be a part of a Castle either. I might be a Bounty Hunter, if I choose Bounty Hunter I'd be tied to a Military Node. Yet, I do not feel the need to be a part of a Node, if anything, I feel my freedom will be warped through obligations I do not want or need.

I'm used to soloing in MMOs, however, I have a Guild. I'm used to Dungeons, however, most Dungeons will be public. In public Dungeons I assist others and often find a group.

I will PvP, most likely in Arenas, if I must be aligned to a Node to enter Arenas then I will be a part of a Node. If I can arena without access to a Node, then again no Node for me.

In terms of Corruption, If i was a Bounty Hunter I'd want loads of corrupted to hunt, if not a Bounty Hunter, I'd just kill the corrupted I see. In Ashes we can play how we want I'm told, so I would aim to play my own way. We'll have friend lists and in-game communications.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    The reward is the resource of course... or just having fun PVPing it doesn't need to go both ways. Just need to remember there is no escape from someone trying to kill you in game, it will be a matter of kill or be killed in the Ashes of Creation.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    mcjenkins wrote: »
    The reward is the resource of course... or just having fun PVPing it doesn't need to go both ways. Just need to remember there is no escape from someone trying to kill you in game, it will be a matter of kill or be killed in the Ashes of Creation.

Sure there is just stand there die take double penalty and poof they take penalty too ...it’s a sucky system but you could use it
  • Options
    SikkeSikke Member
    I don't see looting as a reward, when the risks outweigh it
    ObHAXye.png
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yea, unless you get lucky, there isn't much a reward for just running around and killing random people but the flagging system is a way for people to contest resources/spawns in the open world. A lot of the content is in the open world so not everyone can have it and pvp is an option people have to control it.

• Options
    mcjenkinsmcjenkins Member
    edited July 2020
    If becoming a combatant is a penalty then sure... you wont get corrupted trying to defend yourself from other combatants and corrupted players
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    There is plenty of PvP content to engage with in the open world. If you attack someone over something valuable, they’ll likely fight back and neither of you take corrupted/non-combatant pentalties.

What Steven doesn’t want is idiots ganking people at random just because it gives them the giggles.
  • Options
    I actually agree. I don't want to grief anyone or attack a low-level player, but being the bad guy is as valid a playstyle as any other and I want bad guys in this game so I'm glad there is the option to do that, but I wonder if the corruption system might be too punishing for people who aren't griefing and are just preying on the weak.

If you see a low level and suspect they might be full of loot, killing them isn't griefing it's just PvP. If you follow them around and kill them again after already looting them, then that's griefing.. If you continue to harass them or bully them, that's griefing. I feel like the corruption system is great for stopping griefers, but it might also prevent people from just playing the game in a normal and natural way too.

The flagging system sounds pretty good though, like if I attack them and they DO have loot? They'll want to fight back and then I'm not a red (or something, I'm tired).. So it looks like they're a step ahead of me and already thought of a decent compromise.

Guess we have to wait until we can test it ourselves, but it's certainly a concern a share with OP in a way.
  • Options
    the main source of pvp appears is going to be sieges
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Aardvark wrote: »

And caravans
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

And players attacking each other for mats.
  • Options

If you kill someone who doesn't fight back you get corruption.
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    "people who aren't griefing and are just preying on the weak."

Isn't preying on the weak the definition of griefing?
  • Options

If they do fight back, I don't get corruption though...
    And if they don't fight back, they take bigger penalties, so no fighting back probably means they have nothing worth fighting for, and if my opponent has nothing worth fighting for then I don't want to kill them. Not interested in griefing.
  • Options

And if they don't fight back, they take bigger penalties, so no fighting back probably means they have nothing worth fighting for, and if my opponent has nothing worth fighting for then I don't want to kill them. Not interested in griefing.

Or they are as big of griefers as the pvper and use not fighting back as a way to give them the finger carebear style
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member

Or they are as big of griefers as the pvper and use not fighting back as a way to give them the finger carebear style

Oh please tell us more about this “reverse griefing” and how it ruins your fun to not gank at will
  • Options
    edited July 2020

The PvPer in this case is not griefing, but .. yeah, they could do that .. but if the person kills you anyway and you didn't fight back, you will also suffer more penalties, not just the corrupted. So there is a pretty strong incentive to fight back, in most cases.

"A griefer or bad faith player is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways."

Simply killing someone to take their mats is not griefing. It's an intended part of the game. Not that you said it wasn't, just putting it out there.
  • Options
    Yea, unless you get lucky, there isn't much a reward for just running around and killing random people but the flagging system is a way for people to contest resources/spawns in the open world. A lot of the content is in the open world so not everyone can have it and pvp is an option people have to control it.

This is the purpose of open world pvp
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

Here's the thing, if they don't fight back, it is still your choice if you want to continue to attack them or not. You can always just not kill them.

You can't grief someone by not fighting back, because all that is doing is giving them the option to stop. You may not get the materials, but you also don't get the corruption.
  • Options
    NetoryNetory Member
    The system as it kinda bugs me because it actually gives players some incentive to just lay down and die in order to give the griefer corruption instead of trying to defend themselves. I get that they're encouraged to fight back with a lowered death penalty and what not, but I don't think there should be any reason at all not to defend yourself.
    As it is, you could possibly gank 20 players or more without ever getting corruption provided they all attempted to defend themselves.
    It's really weird player behavior to just sit there and take it when someone starts beating you over the head with a stick.
    0sGgchB.png
  • Options
    JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    They only attack those they know they can beat, they are not looking for a fair fight. They will not start a fight if they think there is any chance they will loose. So what's the point in fighting back, unless just to maybe live a few seconds long hoping the Lone Ranger and Tonto will show up to save you.
  • Options
    jubilum wrote: »
    So what's the point in fighting back
    Halving your death penalties.
  • Options
    For me the penalty is dying to some punk in mommies basement. I could care less what the game does to me. He can go brag to his buddy's that he just killed someone that sat down and let me kill him...they might be impressed but I doubt it.
  • Options
    For me the penalty is dying to some punk in mommies basement. I could care less what the game does to me. He can go brag to his buddy's that he just killed someone that sat down and let me kill him...they might be impressed but I doubt it.

That's your call, but if you make it, you don't get to complain about it.
  • Options
    Not sure what you meant with that statement but from being familiar with your responses, it probably wasn't supportive of my concerns.
  • Options

Trying to frame anyone who PvPs you without consent as a griefer or some child "in mommies basement" is probably a significant part of why people keep wanting to kill you in video games.
    They only attack those they know they can beat, they are not looking for a fair fight. They will not start a fight if they think there is any chance they will loose. So what's the point in fighting back, unless just to maybe live a few seconds long hoping the Lone Ranger and Tonto will show up to save you.

Obviously, yes.

"So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak."

The point in fighting back is to escape or survive or in the very least halve your penalties. If you die as a non-combatant you'll be worse off.
  • Options
    Not sure what you meant with that statement but from being familiar with your responses, it probably wasn't supportive of my concerns.

Your concern was that the game gives you no reason to fight back. As per
    So what's the point in fighting back
    Except the game does give you a reason to fight back, you just don't want to take the game up on that, for external reasons that are absolutely yours to make, but are not a part of the game.

Therefore, as far as I can see, the game has already given you a response to your concern, you just aren't taking it.

That is now an issue with you, not with the game.
  • Options
    LafiLafi Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    PvP isnt griefing :)

Thanks for listening to my ted talk
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Lafi wrote: »
    PvP isnt griefing :)

Thanks for listening to my ted talk

Thank you ted for your talk
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »

Here's the thing, if they don't fight back, it is still your choice if you want to continue to attack them or not. You can always just not kill them.

You can't grief someone by not fighting back, because all that is doing is giving them the option to stop. You may not get the materials, but you also don't get the corruption.

Except if someone doesn't want to pvp that would be the desired outcome...pvper walks off and leaves them alone