Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[SUGGESTION] Illusion spells on Terrain, Dungeons, etc.

I made a suggestion to modify the Scribes Profession allowing us to create books for guides for dungeons, a guide for monsters giving the ability to draw (tablet pleasure detection), but also suggest maps can only be produced by players. More can be found here: Map Maker, Artists, Public Performance, Guides in-Game.

Now I bring another suggestion in which people were talking about guilds or people fighting over dungeons and such and I thought, wouldn't it be great if we could cast an illusion spell to hide the dungeon entrance? Of course, detect magic and dispel magic could come into play to find it, but this could give an advantage as well allowing a guild to prepare themselves, aka, find their way to the dungeon and etc.

I thought this kind of feature would be also immersive and not only PVP but adding secret paths in dungeons with illusion spells could be amazing. I'd love to explore dungeons with such things, of course, this would be great for map sellers, more variety depending on what they can do.

Comments

• Hmmm, illusion spells on terrain is a pretty cool idea.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    There are potential ideas like this, though not from players.

The idea is that dungeons will have hidden rooms, traps and such, and players will need to use class specific abilities to unlock those areas. A cleric is able to remove corruption from an area so the group can pass through, a rogue is able to spot hidden doors and traps, and a mage is able to dispell magical consealments and such.

I think it would be fairly hard from a back end perspective to make these things player cast though.
  • That's pretty cool, yeah.
    You got my +1 again.
  • VKhatVKhat Member
    noaani wrote: »

The idea is that dungeons will have hidden rooms, traps and such, and players will need to use class specific abilities to unlock those areas. A cleric is able to remove corruption from an area so the group can pass through, a rogue is able to spot hidden doors and traps, and a mage is able to dispell magical consealments and such.

I think it would be fairly hard from a back end perspective to make these things player cast though.

Not entirely true in the context of making things player cast, since it's already in the game, just program it to cast it as a player. It's already in the code.
  • CrulixCrulix Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I actually would like to see illusion type magic on terrains. Example, you are being chased by players and manage to get enough distance to place a wall that looks like it is part of the main wall allowing you to hide behind it. Or just being able to set traps and have someone with magic hide it from plain view. Pulling that off, for the first example, would be rough however.

Was there ever mention of being able to stealth multiple players at once? Like having one group waiting to attack, or flank, would be able to just sit in a position being hidden by an illusion. I guess you would need scouts to be able to detect this while some other class can dispel it.

I still need to catch up on all the information. Just recently came back to check up on the game. lol
  • VKhatVKhat Member
    Crulix wrote: »
    I actually would like to see illusion type magic on terrains. Example, you are being chased by players and manage to get enough distance to place a wall that looks like it is part of the main wall allowing you to hide behind it. Or just being able to set traps and have someone with magic hide it from plain view. Pulling that off, for the first example, would be rough however.

Was there ever mention of being able to stealth multiple players at once? Like having one group waiting to attack, or flank, would be able to just sit in a position being hidden by an illusion. I guess you would need scouts to be able to detect this while some other class can dispel it.

I still need to catch up on all the information. Just recently came back to check up on the game. lol

That's part of it too. But the spell I want the spells to last for like 24 hours, 7 days?

I only know of sell cast spells, but they don't cast true invisibility.
  • TehonatakeTehonatake Member, Intrepid Pack
    YO Steven, this must happen!
  • If I could recommend one type of terrain illusion it would be something along the lines of creating a bridge to fool enemies into running or riding into water and thus slowing them down. Or perhaps making an illusion of archers on a wall to make a side of a city under siege seem better defended than it really is.

It wouldn't last long though as players would probably figure out how to spot illusions based on models or behaviors so it would have to be either very specific or so mundane in execution that it's hard to tell from the real thing in-game. Maybe a mirage ability that casts an illusion of a resource or rest area that's really just an empty space to divert players in a competing node.
    ezgif-3-b7b5eae89b.gif
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    VKhat wrote: »
    noaani wrote: »

Not entirely true in the context of making things player cast, since it's already in the game, just program it to cast it as a player. It's already in the code.

It isn't just that simple.

If it were something that players could cast, it would mean that an illusion would need to be made for every variation of every dungeon entrance in the game - rather than for just a few spots that the developers decide to put a dungeon.

Also, it would mean the servers would need to perform additional checks on every character that comes in to range of any dungeon that has an illusion in order to see if that player should be able to see through the illusion or not - and this check would likely need to be repeated fairly often (assuming there is a check that allows some players to see through it easier the closer they are).

Since these checks are in the open world, and are probably in areas that are well travelled, they will actually happen quite often.

These two facts combined add up to more work and more system resources, but the results of those do not combine to make something that is really worth adding to the game.

I mean, players will know where dungeon entrances are. This information will be somewhat public knowledge - they aren't random locations. If players get to a spot where they know there is a dungeon entrance but they can't see it, it won't exactly be hard to figure out what is going on.

This means in practical terms, the benefits of a thing like this are minimal - and when combined with the fact that there is already a system similar to this planned for the game, the idea seems to be very unlikely to happen.