Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Poll + Bonus Dev Discussion - Multiboxing

1202122232426»

Comments

• Options
    GrihmGrihm Member
    why is it people seem to get the idea multiboxing is bad? somehow people have this idea that multiboxers are all gold farmers or bots?

we are not. we are players and just like in any community there are bad actors who specifically want to ruin the game ecconomy for their own profit.

i think its a little unfair to generalize and say we are all bad and should be shut out of the game when there are streamers who cause more trouble within games for others than any multiboxer does.
    there are situations where streamers have blatently said on stream "i have friends working for X company, you are going to get banned" and then a day or two later they are banned for silly things like "botting" because the streamer wanted to quest in the area where the multiboxer was questing so instead of peacefully questing in the same area or asking if they can jump in and get their quest done they asked their 40k+ viewers to report someone for "botting" and the multiboxer was banned within 48 hours. (it was not me who was banned)

this does not mean streamers shouldnt be allowed to play the game just because 1 streamer or a group of streamers did something naferious.

i also feel like its a bit unfair to discriminate against lower income earners who cannot afford to spend money on multiple pc's and hardware infrastructure inorder to play multiple accounts, this is just a paywall which makes no sence at all, its like saying "we are going to build a park for all the people in the world, its going to have all the stuff you would want at a park, there is just a $5000 entry fee", why? what does limiting 1 account per pc do? i mean other than shut out a vast majority of the multiboxing community.
    after paying for the game and then paying a monthly subscription for the accounts and then paying for "expansions" which is more often than not just a way to make people pay for content they already payed for it becomes to much to be expected to buy more hardware.

unfortunatly due to the hardware requirement for multiboxing i wont be able to afford to pay for the game and the subscriptions and the hardware upgrade so im saving my money for the next game hoping eventually we get a game dev that has an open mind and does not just paywall most of us out of the game before we even have a chance to play.

So why multibox? What´s the point? Why not just make an alt?
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Grihm wrote: »
    So why multibox? What´s the point? Why not just make an alt?

Multiboxing is it's own form of challenge.

That is the answer to 'why', 'the point', and 'why not just make an alt', in one statement.

You may not understand that, and that's fine - you don't need to understand every other players motivation. I do not understand people that care about achievements in games, yet I understand that many do care about them regardless of the fact that I do not understand why.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2021
    i did it on FFXIV some time, taking my 2 characters at the same time on daily roulet and the raid24 (one as tank or DPS, the other as healer, scholar... si in fact also DPS :p )
    But here was
    1) to do daily/weekly farm faster
    2) because in those really easy content, it add some spice...
  • Options
    chuckstickschucksticks Member
    edited August 2022
    Thing with multiboxing or multiclient is that one person could run content that was meant for actual parties of players. I'd consider it p2w if it's not restricted.

I used to triple box occasionally for Eve Online in another lifetime (2 healers + 1 dps/tank with no macros) and I guess up to three clients with one person might be fine. But I'm not planning to multi box mmo's anymore these days and just like to keep things simple. The thing I'm worried about are those that would multibox 10 clients or more. Another issue is the pvp encounters with multiboxers in the open world.
  • Options
    DizzDizz Member
    Multiboxing itself is ok in a certain degree for example I'm fine if you can play 2+ characters at same time like how Sakurai Masahiro play SSBU or like some wow streamer can play 2+ characters at same time, but I don't want that one player is allowed to use software or hardware to make multiple characters to do same thing by mimicking the main character.
    A casual follower from TW.

↓Good youtube channel to learn things about creating games.↓
    Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1DvRY5PyHHt3KN9ghunuw
  • Options
    DrPlagueDrPlague Member
    edited August 2022
    3 gamer family household here and as long as we can all play on our own PCs together that's all that matters to me.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2022
    Thing with multiboxing or multiclient is that one person could run content that was meant for actual parties of players. I'd consider it p2w if it's not restricted.

I used to triple box occasionally for Eve Online in another lifetime (2 healers + 1 dps/tank with no macros) and I guess up to three clients with one person might be fine. But I'm not planning to multi box mmo's anymore these days and just like to keep things simple. The thing I'm worried about are those that would multibox 10 clients or more. Another issue is the pvp encounters with multiboxers in the open world.

Running 10 clients would require macros.

As to PvP, while one player may be running 10 multiple accounts, they are kot able to focus as much on any one. A player multiboxing 3 accounts is easier to kill than 3 people playing three accounts.
  • Options
    HathamHatham Member
    edited August 2022
    I don't mind people grouping up, sharing a house and playing together or sharing an account between say brothers who live together that's fine, but i am against a single user multi boxing - for many reasons.
    - i am not gonna list all the reasons as they've been stated above by others. (its a slippery slope that benefits bots and rmters too)
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    From own experience, and a past multi-boxer, if the game can be played without the need for multi-boxing, I am all for it.

Reasons mult-boxing in the past really came down to lack of players on line at same time, and inability to group up and play if certain support classes were not available.

Hoping that the numbers online per server will mean there is a greater opportunity to group up and that it is viable to solo if you should wish (time scarce or just time out)