Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

PvP Servers with lighter corruption system

Comments

• Options
    schrumpelhutschrumpelhut Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited July 2020
    Khana give up 99% in this forum are lifeskiller, i agree 100% with you the current system makes no sense at all. BECAUSE if you are corrupt you can basically quit the game. Lets say the system stays like it is planed atm bounty hunters will just come with non-combat. green friends and grief you down until you lose, you cant fight back you cant do shit. Easy way to fix this is make one single change: greens have to get purple if they attack corrupted players. Problem solved. Also they dont understand that open world pvp is fun for a lot of players, it hasnt to be a gankfest all the time, also there is a good reason for a open world pvp, because there are ton of non pvp griefer out there which make your gameplay experience hell aswell
  • Options
    Are you telling me that you want to do what you want buy don' t face the consequences?

That's all I'm reading: "I wanna kill without having to worry about losing gear". Basically means "I want to screw other players time without having it no repercussion whatsoever when he comes back and kills me"
  • Options
    PravchenskiPravchenski Member
    edited July 2020
    Pravchenski understands need for PvP revenge it happens all the time, maybe someone in my tavern does not pay drink, I take their money from their corpse, but there are many ways to gain revenge on someone or even kill someone without getting corruption as it has been stated, if you want you could argue for a balance be struck between the corruption and noncorrupt system then argue that, otherwise just deal with it as it comes and goes in whatever way you can is all pravchenski has to say on this subject, if I would suggest anything, perhaps introduce more ways to reduce corruption if it has not already been done yet so that if you really worry about corruption you may get out of a snag real quick, although it would also degrade the worth of the corruption system if made too easy to remove corruption, strike a balance and enjoy the game, Pravchenski has spoken, if you wish to talk about these things when day one begins, come on by Pravchenski's when we open as you can talk to me about your concerns over a round of drinks, and bearded women of course

-Pravchenski, still drunk in a desert
    Pravchenski's Tavern and Brothel, Down your Booze like you down your Women, Bearded Dwarves in Drag!

-Pravchenski, yelling this at some twigs in sand, in a desert.
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    PvX is good, is someone doesnt like it, dont play this awesome game.
  • Options
    @Marcet you think clever and you give me ideas, you get free drink when Pravchenski's tavern opens, or free bearded women, your choice, honestly I just wish for this game to be a good release compared to other mmorpg's that are lackluster to say the least, im sure the kinks will be ironed out.

-Pravchenski, in a desert speaking to himself
    Pravchenski's Tavern and Brothel, Down your Booze like you down your Women, Bearded Dwarves in Drag!

-Pravchenski, yelling this at some twigs in sand, in a desert.
  • Options
    KhanaKhana Member
    noaani wrote: »
    If you get corruption and a non-combatant attacks you, let them kill you.

That way, your corruption issue is gone. They are doing you a favor.

Hmm Yes but that's 0 fun. I'd rather have bounty hunters chase me around against which i can fight to the death.
  • Options
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    Are you telling me that you want to do what you want buy don' t face the consequences?

That's all I'm reading: "I wanna kill without having to worry about losing gear". Basically means "I want to screw other players time without having it no repercussion whatsoever when he comes back and kills me"

dont you understand that you CANT FIGHT BACK as soon as you get corrupted, why even having open world pvp if there is no point in doing it at all. Green players can grief corrupted players, it makes no sense. There should be risk for corrupted players, but having not even a chance of getting out of it without getting rekt makes simply no sense. They can freely kill you and you can just stand there and watch as corrupted player. If you call that " consequences " then sry but its just 0 iq
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Khana wrote: »

Hmm Yes but that's 0 fun. I'd rather have bounty hunters chase me around against which i can fight to the death.
    Don’t let them catch you and you’ll never drop gear.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    KhanaKhana Member
    Atama wrote: »
    Don’t let them catch you and you’ll never drop gear.

Corruption doesn't decrease over time, so you have to stop to farm mobs or die at some point.
  • Options
    LafiLafi Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Something to remember is that corruption is meant to be a punishment. Its meant to be an issue. You dont want corruption. Its intentionally like that.
    If you want to pvp without drawbacks you stick to killing combatants.
    Punishment on those killing greens are fair and will be quite good to keep green boys safe. Sometimes. I know I'll kill green boys if i think they're hoarding a bunch of gathering mats. But that wont instantly turn me red unless I'm on a max main against a new character for example.

I like these talks thoughs
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • Options
    SepiDNSepiDN Member
    edited July 2020
    I have played tens of mmos and by far the best pvp system was in L2. This system is pretty much exact replica from L2 and there's stuff you wont understand until you have played under such system.

dont you understand that you CANT FIGHT BACK as soon as you get corrupted, why even having open world pvp if there is no point in doing it at all. Green players can grief corrupted players, it makes no sense. There should be risk for corrupted players, but having not even a chance of getting out of it without getting rekt makes simply no sense. They can freely kill you and you can just stand there and watch as corrupted player. If you call that " consequences " then sry but its just 0 iq

But the point is dont get corrupted. L2 has this exact same system and you know what? There is shit ton of OW PvP.

PKing is usually done to demonstrate that you have way more power than the other side or done in very very seldom situations. FLAGGING how ever is done to initate pvp. Its fine art not to go corrupted but initiate PvP.

Imagine 9v9 PvP situation
    You will usually use your weakest hitting but high armor class to initiate PvP because you dont want to accidentally PK AND your healer will wait till last possible moment to go purple. As he will go purple the first time he heals.

IF you could just Pk with lil to no danger your healer would die in 2 seconds in to group PvP.

You also dont want the low damage guy to keep hitting all your guys as you then need to get healed which costa MP. This creates "when do we strike do we harass back" situations.

Also these situations are usually tens becouse u wont know WHEN the first strike back will happpen since you cant just go and kill the squishiest guy the moment you see them. This also creates social situations where you can speak yourself out of the PvP, shit talk, form alliances etc. Becaus pvp doesnt happen in a blink of an eye.

Also PK status can be cleared. I have been PK hundred of times in L2 even tho i could drop my hard earned gear.
    1) clearing doesnt take that long
    2) you can even be sneaky and let your friends kill you to clear out the corruption. Sure you lose exp but not the gear. If you have trustworthy friends.

Never play as solo if you want to PK. That is just plain 0 iq

Im 99% sure this system wont be touched other than corruption gains per kill. Everyone I know that have played l2 loves this system. Way better than FFA pvp.
  • Options
    DracusDracus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Corruption based pvp won't even exist with the current ruleset. No one will ever take the risk of losing their gear, no matter how small the chance is, once their characters are starting to be geared. No matter how much you hate someone or no matter the reason, no one will take the risk to go corrupt. The bounty hunter system will basically be a dead feature.
    Which is sad because it's actually a good feature, I love the idea of having to track a corrupted player through the woods, find him, and claim the bounty, and from the other side being hunted like a beast the moment you "commit murder", having to hide and try to take the bounty hunters one by one before they gang up on you.

And if you read my proposal, you already know it's not worth killing someone for "their meager raw materials" or matter of fact, for anything at all besides the satisfaction to get rid of someone you don't like, since you will lose more of those materials than you took the moment you die (it's unlikely that you'll be able to clean your corruption in time through farming with the bounty hunter system sending players after you), and still have the huge experience penalty to deal with after you die.

It's just about giving the possibility to kill someone if you have a good reason to. Because with the current ruleset, this possibility doesn't exist unless you have a disposable character on your account to kill and get corrupted with. It's like the system allows it, but the drawbacks are far too much to the point that no sane person with a good geared character will ever do it.

I would definitely take the risk. If it is someone I dislike or deserves a troll death. 100% will do it. Remember, This PVP avenue is for last resort. For the emotional response. You are not meant to be a griefer and go around killing noobs for no reason. Also don't you lose corruption by killing bounty hunters?

This system was awesome in Lineage 2. Protected the new people and OMG the fights against pkers was amazing and fun.

Also keep in mind. The harder it is to be a PKer the higher the fame status is for being a good one. Look at it as an opportunity to be an infamous pker O_O.
  • Options
    HeartbeatHeartbeat Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Imma be honest, i'd never PK someone if I knew i'd go corrupted and could drop my gear. You spend to long in MMOs upgrading and enhancing a weapon in every possible way trying to max it out just to possibly drop it in a single death, no matter how low the chances, but it only goes up from there. Having your gear have a "chance" to drop at any bit of corruption seems too far out for me anyway, there should be a threshold that you have to drop below in order to be corrupted, much like how BDO did their karma, you knew you could kill a few people, but you also knew when you would go red and penalties would start applying if you died.

The way I see it, OWpvp is going to suffer the way it did in BDO, if someone doesn't want to fight back, they wont, and you will become corrupted hence karmabombing. If you're stronger than someone and they try to fight back only to lose, what's going to make them want to fight back again when they know they could just not and you'll become corrupted. I like both players being combatants and the victor doesn't get penalized, but its only gonna take so long, or even one death resulting from an extremely one sided fight for the loser to say fuck it and stop fighting back. Why struggle if you know you cant win?

The first QnA they did I suggested a full loot system based on "Danger" areas in the world much like how runescapes wilderness works. Only these areas would pop up randomly but with a warning as to where they'd be shortly in advance. In these areas you would drop all gear on death, not suffer corruption, and rare material as well as rare or elite/mini boss mobs would have a higher chance to appear but it was shot down immediately because Steven didn't like the idea of full-loot. If they'd consider something like this I think taking away the full-loot and making it:
    - No corruption gained, pvp always active
    - you dont drop gear on death
    - you drop the normal stuff you would in a death outside the area, but a lot more of it.
  • Options
    GodsThesisGodsThesis Member
    edited July 2020
    Khana give up 99% in this forum are lifeskiller, i agree 100% with you the current system makes no sense at all. BECAUSE if you are corrupt you can basically quit the game. Lets say the system stays like it is planed atm bounty hunters will just come with non-combat. green friends and grief you down until you lose, you cant fight back you cant do shit. Easy way to fix this is make one single change: greens have to get purple if they attack corrupted players. Problem solved. Also they dont understand that open world pvp is fun for a lot of players, it hasnt to be a gankfest all the time, also there is a good reason for a open world pvp, because there are ton of non pvp griefer out there which make your gameplay experience hell aswell

Ah yes, piss and shower all over me with your grand knowledge that only you and OP understand about open-world PvP. Us peasants can only grasp at straws on what true PvP is from our crop fields.
    Heartbeat wrote: »

The way I see it, OWpvp is going to suffer the way it did in BDO, if someone doesn't want to fight back, they wont, and you will become corrupted hence karmabombing. If you're stronger than someone and they try to fight back only to lose, what's going to make them want to fight back again when they know they could just not and you'll become corrupted. I like both players being combatants and the victor doesn't get penalized, but its only gonna take so long, or even one death resulting from an extremely one sided fight for the loser to say fuck it and stop fighting back. Why struggle if you know you cant win?

Normally what happens in BDO is you declare war on the enemy's guild so that karma does not drop anymore. Typically if someone is "karmabombing" from my experience in the game, they are lower geared/ newer players that the system is designed to protect. In very rare instances, people will drop guild but no normal person bases judgment on the extremes.

Open world PvP in BDO suffered more from an awful enchanting system making people quit the game than the karma system. Players could not get strong enough to get back at there opponents from the grind and rng that deleted one's grind if they failed.

With that being said, the simple act of declaring war on another guild is another PvP system integrated to the open-world PvP aspect of BDO. Likewise in AoC, there will be many other avenues or incentives for PvP that we know of and aspects yet to be revealed.

OP could suggest adding a war declaration on guilds that prevents corruption gain because I think that's what he wants; it's also much simpler than adding in OP's changes. Also, competitive or veteran players will eventually want to join guilds anyways as they progress in the game and settle down on a community of players.

But the wording here also hints that he wants to gank/ initiate PvP first and then have an all-out brawl. And the suggestion I gave happened in BDO; a lot of lifeskillers, PvE players, and more casuals get ganked or repeatedly killed. And their guilds typically died cause their members left.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    SepiDN wrote: »
    I have played tens of mmos and by far the best pvp system was in L2. This system is pretty much exact replica from L2 and there's stuff you wont understand until you have played under such system.

But the point is dont get corrupted. L2 has this exact same system and you know what? There is shit ton of OW PvP.

PKing is usually done to demonstrate that you have way more power than the other side or done in very very seldom situations. FLAGGING how ever is done to initate pvp. Its fine art not to go corrupted but initiate PvP.

You will usually use your weakest hitting but high armor class to initiate PvP because you dont want to accidentally PK AND your healer will wait till last possible moment to go purple. As he will go purple the first time he heals.

IF you could just Pk with lil to no danger your healer would die in 2 seconds in to group PvP.

You also dont want the low damage guy to keep hitting all your guys as you then need to get healed which costa MP. This creates "when do we strike do we harass back" situations.

Also these situations are usually tens becouse u wont know WHEN the first strike back will happpen since you cant just go and kill the squishiest guy the moment you see them. This also creates social situations where you can speak yourself out of the PvP, shit talk, form alliances etc. Becaus pvp doesnt happen in a blink of an eye.

Also PK status can be cleared. I have been PK hundred of times in L2 even tho i could drop my hard earned gear.
    2) you can even be sneaky and let your friends kill you to clear out the corruption. Sure you lose exp but not the gear. If you have trustworthy friends.

Im 99% sure this system wont be touched other than corruption gains per kill. Everyone I know that have played l2 loves this system. Way better than FFA pvp.

thanks first of all for the pretty good explaination. Maybe im just cursed because of black desert online, because there you got griefed to infinity by players who just didnt want to fight you. Instead they just farmed the same mobs as you do just to fuck you up no matter if both get less loot and waste their time. In case you killed them you lost karma and they either p2w to instant revieve or just walked back there which took around a minute. Then they repeated this until you are below 0 karma and if they killed you then you basically got f hard. In the end you just coudnt "defend" yourself against a player who is just griefing your game experience. Some people know griefing or ganking from the bad bois who kill everyone, but im coming from the other side where you get griefed by pve only players. The only way i see i could enjoy ow pvp here is going out with my 2nd gear then i woudnt care. Without bounty hunter i could imagine yeah i could farm off my corruption depending on how long it takes but if after some months every 2nd guy is a bounty hunter i cant see how im not overrun by bounty hunters coming in groups with green players lol. but yeah
  • Options
    SepiDNSepiDN Member

thanks first of all for the pretty good explaination. Maybe im just cursed because of black desert online, because there you got griefed to infinity by players who just didnt want to fight you. Instead they just farmed the same mobs as you do just to fuck you up no matter if both get less loot and waste their time. In case you killed them you lost karma and they either p2w to instant revieve or just walked back there which took around a minute. Then they repeated this until you are below 0 karma and if they killed you then you basically got f hard. In the end you just coudnt "defend" yourself against a player who is just griefing your game experience. Some people know griefing or ganking from the bad bois who kill everyone, but im coming from the other side where you get griefed by pve only players. The only way i see i could enjoy ow pvp here is going out with my 2nd gear then i woudnt care. Without bounty hunter i could imagine yeah i could farm off my corruption depending on how long it takes but if after some months every 2nd guy is a bounty hunter i cant see how im not overrun by bounty hunters coming in groups with green players lol. but yeah

I understand that concern but not sure how group focused that game was but l2 at least was built around guilds and group play as this game seems to as well. Playing solo tends to be quite troublesome but in l2 after certain point solo was not an option.

Here's a video of owpvp with the same pvp mechanic from some years ago with "corrupted"characters
    People start turning purple pretty quick when healers gets involved!

https://youtu.be/y-D7GR0dxZ0
  • Options

I understand that concern but not sure how group focused that game was but l2 at least was built around guilds and group play as this game seems to as well. Playing solo tends to be quite troublesome but in l2 after certain point solo was not an option.

Here's a video of owpvp with the same pvp mechanic from some years ago with "corrupted"characters

yeah black desert ist mostly single player, because you get actually no benefit in playing in groups ( bad game design, p2w, cashgrab game :D ). I mean if people fight back the system seems to make sense, im just concerned that just noone will fight back at all :D only if they have tons of materials or super expensive ones. However lets wait for alphas/betas and see how it will play out. Btw what happens if 2 players attack 1 green player do both get corrupted or only the one who tagged him ?
  • Options
    SepiDNSepiDN Member

yeah black desert ist mostly single player, because you get actually no benefit in playing in groups ( bad game design, p2w, cashgrab game :D ). I mean if people fight back the system seems to make sense, im just concerned that just noone will fight back at all :D only if they have tons of materials or super expensive ones. However lets wait for alphas/betas and see how it will play out. Btw what happens if 2 players attack 1 green player do both get corrupted or only the one who tagged him ?

Only the person that gets last hit.
  • Options
    Imma be honest, i'd never PK someone if I knew i'd go corrupted and could drop my gear. You spend to long in MMOs upgrading and enhancing a weapon in every possible way trying to max it out just to possibly drop it in a single death, no matter how low the chances, but it only goes up from there.

Because PK is not the same as PvP. If you want to one shot someone, you can't, unless you're willing to get the corruption.
    You can go and hit them, and see if they flag, and then PvP. You could also go next to someone and said "I've been following you around and I know you have at least X amount of resources, either give me Y quantity to me or I will kill you".
    Sure, the player could say "go ahead, kill me, you will get corrupted" but he will lose 50% of his resources, so you can easily get mats for intimidating people.
  • Options
    KhanaKhana Member
    GodsThesis wrote: »
    But the wording here also hints that he wants to gank/ initiate PvP first and then have an all-out brawl.
    By all means tell me what part of my post actually suggest that.
    It can't be an all out brawl more like a hunt since the bounty hunters won't attack each other (atleast, it's very unlikely), they'll all focus on the corrupted player (it's the goal of their bounty after all)
    Idk how you guys turn a "no gear drop for 1/2 kills" into "He wants to gank one shot low lvl people and spawn camp them with a zerg of 451644151544ppl whose purpose in life is to make people quit the game"
    I think a lot of you are wayyy too scared to get killed once in a while in open world and are over exaggerating everything I say on purpose to satisfy your paranoia.
    Also, i'm of the idea that everyone who participated in a kill should get the corruption, no one likes zergs, especially when they try to abuse mechanics, the system doesn't have to be a copy paste of lineage2, there is always room for improvement.
  • Options
    No, atm, if you are corrupted, non combatant players can attack you and you cannot fight back because if you do you will gain even more corruption.

That's not entirely true. Yes you won't become a combatant, but you can still fight back.
    Corruption based pvp won't even exist with the current ruleset. No one will ever take the risk of losing their gear, no matter how small the chance is, once their characters are starting to be geared.
    The chance of losing gear doesn't kick in after one kill, you need several.

It does kick in after one kill. Granted, the probabillity is low, but i'd never want to gamble my gear that I finally acquired after months of tryhard over a single kill, and I doubt anyone would want to gamble it either.

It doesn't kick in after 1 kill....well technically it could. It's based off your corruption score. I suppose if your corruption score is super high, yeah 1 kill you drop gear. But your corruption score has to meet the threshold to drop something. So if you have a low corruption score, say you killed someone 10 levels above you who was afk your score will be minimal and you won't actually drop gear based on that. If you're max level and just AOE the shit out of a group of lvl 5's you're probably be as corrupted as satan's taint.
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member

It doesn't kick in after 1 kill....

Yes it does. You will be flagged Corrupted when you kill a Non-Combatant. The penalties after one kill are minor besides the increased death penalties. It is the player who PK and grief consistently that will be heavily hit by penalties.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

Sounds to me like a system that offers options.

Options are good.
  • Options
    Also, i'm of the idea that everyone who participated in a kill should get the corruption, no one likes zergs, especially when they try to abuse mechanics, the system doesn't have to be a copy paste of lineage2, there is always room for improvement.
    I would agree with that. If someone gets ganged up on by a group of guys who beat them down, it should be distributed among them all and not just whoever was the last one to do damage.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    I missed this somehow, but I totally agree.

This is the kind of thing that we have in mind to test in alpha.

There are something like 320 specific things in relation to corruption that I plan on testing with friends in beta when they get in.

We have a list.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The way I see it, OWpvp is going to suffer the way it did in BDO, if someone doesn't want to fight back, they wont, and you will become corrupted hence karmabombing. If you're stronger than someone and they try to fight back only to lose, what's going to make them want to fight back again when they know they could just not and you'll become corrupted.
    Very simple. If they don't fight back and they die, you get corruption, but they drop materials and take an XP penalty. If they do fight back and they die, you don't get corruption, but also they only suffer half the drop of materials and XP loss. There is a huge incentive to fight back, the only incentive not to fight back is spite.

Or, if you are taking on someone who can't fight back (maybe you stun them on the opening attack, or kill them too fast, or kill them while they are AFK) then that's another reason why they would die without fighting back. My prediction is that most people who get attacked while green (non-combatant) are going to want to fight back and turn purple (combatant) to avoid that XP and material loss.

The system is set up very much to have incentives for consensual PvP on both sides. The person initiating combat is dissuaded from attacking someone green in order to avoid the potential to get corruption and turn red. The person being attacked is dissuaded from sitting there and taking it because they don't want to lose as much stuff, plus if they fight back and actually win of course they lose nothing at all.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Potato BasketPotato Basket Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    One way to solve this would be make corruption decrease over time but that timer ticks only when you're outside of a protection zone
  • Options
    ninfosho wrote: »
    One way to solve this would be make corruption decrease over time but that timer ticks only when you're outside of a protection zone

A what zone?
  • Options

A what zone?
    I think that's the place at the airport where you can only park there while loading or unloading luggage and can't loiter to wait for someone. I may be wrong though.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »

A what zone?
    I think that's the place at the airport where you can only park there while loading or unloading luggage and can't loiter to wait for someone. I may be wrong though.

Seems about right to me, as it absolutely isn't something in Verra.