Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Are there any other casuals here that don't mind not having the best a game has to offer?

I really don't want this to be an argument over how the game should cater to audience x or audience y, but I'm genuinely curious if there are any other casuals out there like me that prefer to see that great things can be achieved in this game with the work and effort put in, without me actually expecting to obtain it.

I don't expect to be sinking hours daily in this game simply because I have so many more responsibilities now than I did when I was adventuring into Norrath. So I don't see myself ever becoming mayor, getting a flying mount, getting any world first titles, any top pvp achievements, etc. And I'm okay with that.

I really want to play this and just feel like I'm part of a living, breathing world. Really I just want to do some pvp, some pve, have adventures, hang out with some friends, make some new ones, and have a tavern at the edge of the woods.

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    PvP is balanced around groups. Raid difficulties will depend on how well a Raid Team performs for the most part. Overall, I feel a casual approach is the best approach. I do not see the need to have Legendary Items in operation except perhaps in Arenas or in small scale PvP fights. I certainly won't waste Legendary Items on Raids or Sieges, but perhaps for Caravan Defence/Offence.

I don't see the need to be Hardcore to the max. This comes from someone who Hardcores other MMOs.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I used to hardcore EQ and classic WoW before I joined the military. Was a lot of fun but I burned out after that. Not only do I not have the time to do that anymore, casual play allows me to enjoy a game for longer, preventing burnout.
  • Options
    RyufuRyufu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I will likely be playing twice as much as a regular person, which is considered hardcore, but I think it is good to have a casual mindset. I plan to play a ton, but I don't plan to be server first on everything. It is nice to see people and guilds grow and achieve things while enjoying the game as they happen instead of rushing to the end goal. All these guild posts boasting "server first" this and that is pretty superficial, since it does not translate to a game that is new and unique to the genre. Not sure if anyone else feels that way, but I personally look at that and go... "rrrriiiight..."
  • Options
    I really don't want this to be an argument over how the game should cater to audience x or audience y, but I'm genuinely curious if there are any other casuals out there like me that prefer to see that great things can be achieved in this game with the work and effort put in, without me actually expecting to obtain it.

I don't expect to be sinking hours daily in this game simply because I have so many more responsibilities now than I did when I was adventuring into Norrath. So I don't see myself ever becoming mayor, getting a flying mount, getting any world first titles, any top pvp achievements, etc. And I'm okay with that.

I really want to play this and just feel like I'm part of a living, breathing world. Really I just want to do some pvp, some pve, have adventures, hang out with some friends, make some new ones, and have a tavern at the edge of the woods.

You my friend are a rare diamond , what a casual player used to be, just enjoying the game how they want to play it/progress. Now we have casual players who think everything should be fair and that imo is the biggest reason gaming, and especially the mmo genre has gone down hill.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member

You can get a flying mount even if you're a casual.

Legendary world bosses have a chance to drop dragon eggs.

These eggs can hatch and give you access to dragon mounts, for anywhere between 15 to 30 days.
  • Options
    daxiongmao87daxiongmao87 Member
    edited July 2020
    You can get a flying mount even if you're a casual

Is that so? I assumed it was limited to mayors, guild leaders with castles, etc. How would a casual obtain a flying mount?

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Mounts#Flying_mounts_.28Royal_mounts.29
    Flying mounts (Royal mounts)

Royal mounts are a tier 3 class of mounts available to Mayors of metropolis nodes and Kings and Queens of Guild castles. Royal mounts can also be dropped from legendary world bosses.

I guess getting voted in as a metropolis mayor can happen to a casual player
  • Options
    As long as I get my Tavern and can cook for all of you guys, I will be happy :)
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I will be casual, my family takes a lot of my time, having young kids takes up a lot of my time, and I have to do grown up things and have a full time career. I usually have maybe a couple of hours a day to game and have to be picky about how I use them.

I know I won’t be able to do what a hardcore player can do but that’s fine if I can still progress at my own pace and have fun.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    There will be rare drops with flyers. And they will be time limited as well as rare. But it is possible.
  • Options
    I will play as much as I can, but there will be things I'll never achieve.
    Flying mounts? Nope, I don't care for political career in the game.
    Many achievements? Probably not, not the first kill or things like that.
    Things are not meant for everyone.
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    So much this. I just want to have fun! No aspirations to be mayor or guild master, grown up with real life responsibilities. Just want to have fun and explore and discover!
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    You can get a flying mount even if you're a casual

Is that so? I assumed it was limited to mayors, guild leaders with castles, etc. How would a casual obtain a flying mount?

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Mounts#Flying_mounts_.28Royal_mounts.29
    Flying mounts (Royal mounts)

Royal mounts are a tier 3 class of mounts available to Mayors of metropolis nodes and Kings and Queens of Guild castles. Royal mounts can also be dropped from legendary world bosses.

I guess getting voted in as a metropolis mayor can happen to a casual player

Through dragon eggs that drop from world bosses.

@daxiongmao87 read my entire post man
  • Options
    @CaptainChuck it wasnt much to read. I assume you mean a casual downing a world boss and getting the egg? These are called legendary world bosses which I assume were probably designed toward hardcore raiders. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way it seems everywhere I read/hear, less than 0.1% will have flying mounts on a server
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    @CaptainChuck it wasnt much to read. I assume you mean a casual downing a world boss and getting the egg? These are called legendary world bosses which I assume were probably designed toward hardcore raiders. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way it seems everywhere I read/hear, less than 0.1% will have flying mounts on a server

Its a world boss. If your group takes it down, im sure all the members get some loot. And if you're the lucky one, you'll get a dragon egg.

Or you could get flying mounts during guild sieges. Guild leaders can assign smaller mounts, like those pheonix that you saw in the gameplay video, to guild officers. They don't have battlefield abilities like the dragon, but they can fly and can be used to supervise the guild war.
  • Options
    Im going to be casual, but I will aspire to do my best.
  • Options
    daxiongmao87daxiongmao87 Member
    edited July 2020
    Its a world boss. If your group takes it down, im sure all the members get some loot. And if you're the lucky one, you'll get a dragon egg.

That's true. But that's only if it's easy enough to down for anyone other than top tier guilds. I'm not sure if they went into detail about legendary world bosses, but I assume since they are the only world bosses to drop legendary items, they are designed for the best of the best.
    Or you could get flying mounts during guild sieges. Guild leaders can assign smaller mounts, like those pheonix that you saw in the gameplay video, to guild officers. They don't have battlefield abilities like the dragon, but they can fly and can be used to supervise the guild war.

Oh yeah! This is very cool. I remember this being mentioned briefly in one of the interviews/AMAs. Nice.

Sorry I misunderstood your first post.