Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Bunny Hopping?

2»

Comments

• Options
    GrihmGrihm Member
    Inixia wrote: »
    Why shouldn't mages get any tricks to get away? Tricks are what make combat interesting. And its not like other classes don't.
    Tanks have high hp/defenses and can close gaps, rogues have stealth/evasion and burst damage and cc's which are lethal against squishier classes....

Even if I choose the target 'right' I'm still just standing around like a glass turret....
    not to mention there are several enemies to track not usually just one.

All I'm asking is that ranged classes have fair options to work around, and mobility is key to being able to control your risk level, and also tbh, ,it just makes pvp funner/more strategic to not have working between damage and spacing so choppy. If a melee class closes gap they should still have an advantage, I don't disagree with that, but it shouldn't be a duck shoot either.

I said, another trick.
    Ranged classes already have the actual range between you and the target, and ranged attacks. Besides, you are not exactly a fully optimal tank that should survive a full on close encounter... so getting a third extra trick, aka unlimited stamina seems a bit excessive. I am not saying you cannot jump, but it should cost you stamina.
  • Options
    Well we don't really know the archetypes get just yet in the scope of ashes. We know what a few of them are, but not all of them. You can't take all of the metrics from other games and assume Ashes is going to work the same way because it's a significantly different game, with a significantly different vision, and with a significantly different game engine.

WoW has poor range vs melee balance because the controls are too free. A lot of melee classes get around a lot of ranged classes mechanics instantly to the point where range isn't even an advantage anymore. It is flipped in the Vanilla - Wrath era. Where bunny hoping was at it's most op. Since Warriors only engage back then was charge and hamstring. Bunny hopping countered them both.

Hence why I'd rather Ashes have a more locked control scheme while you are using abilities. So that instead of overcoming all issues by yourself. You are forced to rely on your team to help you. Making it less about mindless zerging and more about planning strategies to overcome other potential strategies. Using height to dodge just feels stupid whenever it is implemented because it was never intended to be used as a defense metric. It just happened to work and people abused the hell out of it. It does make PvP feel stupid when you use basic controls to counter full on abilities. Where it makes sense sometimes depending on the ability. It doesn't how it's been used in WoW specifically.

Especially because if the skill doesn't work then people will shelf the skill completely and not use it ever again for PvP, but often just not use it ever again for all content. Since you have to be ready for PvP all of the time. You are pretty limited in how many skills you have to use. So if basic controls counter 1 ability on your bar then it's a wasted skill on the bar. When you could have more base stats potentially by replacing it.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    GrihmGrihm Member
    I have high hopes for people using the environment in PVP as well indeed. Archers on hilltops, backed by mages. Assassins in trees coming out hard, and the opposing side mounting a shield wall and on it goes.

I think that PVP in general in most games is mostly about running into each other, and it´s a talent / class skill battle to 75-80% the rest consists of what´s around. Hopefully, this can even out, and we can get to do actual warfare with more tactics and cooperation.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Grihm wrote: »
    I apologize if this has been discussed before, but will bunny hopping while fighting be a thing in AoC. I Know games have very little realism but sure would like to see some penalties for some guy in plate armor bouncing around while hacking on you. Stamina loss, defense penatly something. Maybe it's because I'm a old fart.

How about you guys what do you think, Yes to it penalty free or No keep em on the ground lol.

If they wanna jump around, Stamina loss deluxe please.
    In my days..we bloody fought standing still!!
    Old farts united in this!

I don't think bunny hopping will be a thing in Ashes because there isn't much vertical variance to the combat (unlike modern shooters)
    but please - not fighting while standing still.
    We're running away from one cliff edge to fall off another.
    I wish I were deep and tragic