Big streamers joining the hype(Discussion)

xR1kuxR1ku Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
So over the past few weeks we've had a huge increase of hype around AoC. Mainly because new footage and Steven answering questions, but also because several streamers have joined in on the hype.

I'd like to see how people feel about all this, do you guys think it's a streamers gimmick to get the game as early as possible? Do you think the MMO child inside them is just waking up awaiting a game that looks fabulous? I'd like to hear all your thoughts and opinions on the matter.

For myself, I can't help but feel some people with a following are just hopping on to benefit themselves and their streams. Which, I cant disagree with them because why wouldn't you. To clear the air, I'm not talking about summit, asmon, or tim. I love all 3 of them and I HOPE they would just be excited and play like the rest of us.

Side note: If somehow Steven does decide to give them access, that IS the smart business plan. Free publicity and opinions from high level individuals. You guys let me know how yall feel any opinion is welcomed.

Comments

• Wandering MistWandering Mist Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As a small up and coming content creator I've benefited massively from the extra hype for Ashes recently.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • All the streamers he has interviewed have played WoW or other MMOs for a long time, although not as much since they started twitch other than Asmongold.

It is really both, they like MMOs and it is good marketing. If other people want to "hop on" the hype train for benefits the market will sort them out. If they make shitty content it is less likely for them to benefit so It really does not matter what other streamers do. It seems very important to Steven for his core game vision and philosophies to not be swayed by streamers or the community. I think a lot of people will complain, or at least players new to the MMO genre. From everything I can tell this game will be pretty hardcore and as long as Steven does not cuck and change the pvp system I'll play the game regardless of anything else
  • HiddenDaggerInnHiddenDaggerInn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's great to get exposure, I believe they HYpe Train will continue with no NDA and I think they will allow streaming it early in Alpha. The clips they've already shown have better magical effects then many games that have been out for years. Hop on board the Train this is going to be a GREAT GAME!

How we as a community can make it better is give our feedback (Constructive feedback) If there is a problem tell them why and a possible solution. We as the community MUST step up our game to ensure the game is as good as it can be!
  • StyleStyle Member
    i plan on starting to stream once AOC is out. Gonna be AOC exclusive content but even if i didnt im worried about streamers. If asmongold were to go to AOC and run for mayor he could take his 40+k fewers with him and dominate the server. at least most of it. thats the negative thing about it. we will have to see how it plays out but thats one aspect im not happy about.
  • xR1kuxR1ku Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    i plan on starting to stream once AOC is out. Gonna be AOC exclusive content but even if i didnt im worried about streamers. If asmongold were to go to AOC and run for mayor he could take his 40+k fewers with him and dominate the server. at least most of it. thats the negative thing about it. we will have to see how it plays out but thats one aspect im not happy about.

I am also worried about this. Imagine a streamer joining a node, bringing their 20k and just building that node as fast as possible to take over what they can.
    All the streamers he has interviewed have played WoW or other MMOs for a long time, although not as much since they started twitch other than Asmongold.

It is really both, they like MMOs and it is good marketing. If other people want to "hop on" the hype train for benefits the market will sort them out. If they make shitty content it is less likely for them to benefit so It really does not matter what other streamers do. It seems very important to Steven for his core game vision and philosophies to not be swayed by streamers or the community. I think a lot of people will complain, or at least players new to the MMO genre. From everything I can tell this game will be pretty hardcore and as long as Steven does not cuck and change the pvp system I'll play the game regardless of anything else

I feel people who make shitty content just wont get views. However these guys have 10k+ views no matter what. As I stated to someone else, imagine them taking those people into a node to progress it or take over. I also worry about sieges and such with these kind of numbers.
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Steven admitted in the interview done today that he can't do much if a Streamer wants to take over a Node (Would assume the same for castle and server). I mean if 10k people followed a streamer into the game that would cover a server anyway...not in terms of total accounts (50k) but in terms of active online accounts (10k).
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    Neurath wrote: »
    Steven admitted in the interview done today that he can't do much if a Streamer wants to take over a Node (Would assume the same for castle and server). I mean if 10k people followed a streamer into the game that would cover a server anyway...not in terms of total accounts (50k) but in terms of active online accounts (10k).

I wasn't able to watch but i do plan on watching the vod. I hope there is a gate for it. As well with voting mayors. "Hey guys i wanna be mayor vote me in"
    As a small up and coming content creator I've benefited massively from the extra hype for Ashes recently.

I believe in you, be good and be good at it <3
  • Streamers have a public face and are good marketing tools if they are hyping. They also can be your bane if they have a negative view.

For node wars, big gaming community guilds can also do the same thing, not just streamers.
  • dphantomtvdphantomtv Member, Alpha One
    This was bound to happen. Ashes of Creation is by far the most anticipated MMO currently in development. I recognized this early on in the project and hopped on the train before the big hats get here. So it's not surprising that most of the top 10 current twitch streamers are interested in AoC. It's got the perfect formula for getting tons of viewers, you have a lot of hype + endless content.

I think as long as it doesn't shape the game for the worse, (especially during the development phase) it's healthy for a game to have this exposure. Cause at the end of the day a game will make or break due to it's marketing. And that's something AoC has a lot of right now.

Now talking as a small, scuffed, content creator. This is good and bad. Yes, more viewers = more competition. All this new exposure pretty much made this small pond into an ocean, and getting 50-100 viewers is probably going to net you in the sub 8 list for the browse page. (which is bad for getting new viewers) However, there is a LOT more room to grow. Being a big fish in a small pond compared to a small fish in an ocean has it's pros and cons. Ultimately it always comes down to the content, if it's shit, you'll be in constant battle with other CCs. If it's good, then you'll grow fast.
    dEbtg6Q.jpg
    He's a phantom | twitch.tv/dphantomtv
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A streamer taking over a node is fine to me. That’ll be a tiny chunk of a big world. That’s a huge group of people paying $15/month and it’ll help keep the game from folding.

Anyone with the ability to get a large group of people to follow them could do the same. What if a celebrity geek like Wil Wheaton asked a bunch of people to join with him in Ashes to form Wheatonville? Again, no problem to me. Remember these aren’t going to be flash in the pan, disruptive people bombing the game for laughs because there is no free to play option. They’ll all be subscribers. I see it as a good thing.

Plus, if they all have a good time they’ll spread the word and the game will grow. This would be a nice problem to have.

Hhak63P.png
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Atama wrote: »
    A streamer taking over a node is fine to me. That’ll be a tiny chunk of a big world. That’s a huge group of people paying $15/month and it’ll help keep the game from folding.

Anyone with the ability to get a large group of people to follow them could do the same. What if a celebrity geek like Wil Wheaton asked a bunch of people to join with him in Ashes to form Wheatonville? Again, no problem to me. Remember these aren’t going to be flash in the pan, disruptive people bombing the game for laughs because there is no free to play option. They’ll all be subscribers. I see it as a good thing.

Plus, if they all have a good time they’ll spread the word and the game will grow. This would be a nice problem to have.

Pretty sure people would be too busy making Weaton respawn for him to be mayor. It would probably end up being. Sheldanopolis
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Big Bang Theory reference? Good call, Aardvark.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    I think it can only be good for the game to have more people interested in Ashes, and these streamers do bring a lot of people with them.

Ashes has had a steady and passionate following since the kickstarter days, but one thing I always wondered about was whether the numbers would be enough to sustain an MMO. So more interest can only be good from that point of view.

I do worry about the sort of people we will be seeing, if the chat on these guy's streams is anything to go by, but I'm old and easily set to grouchiness these days.

More the merrier I say. I want Ashes to succeed more than I worry about being annoyed by kids. I deal with loud nephews, so I think I can deal with the modern internet.

I do have to keep learning lots of new slang though. We may need a lexicon of millennial Internet slang.
  • ShaladoorShaladoor Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm also on board with streamers bringing all of their followers to the game. Nodes come in 4 different types, you can only ever be a citizen of one node, declaring citizenship is currently per account per server (to prevent having alts as mayors all over the place), and you must be a citizen in order to be declared Mayor of that node. And even then, becoming Mayor varies per node type. Quoting from the Wiki:
    1. Divine node governments are chosen from citizens via service oriented quests that prove faith and dedication to the node.
    2. Economic node governments are able to be bought and sold by citizens with the most money.
    3. Mayors of military nodes are chosen from citizens through last man standing (gladiatorial arena style) combat.
    4. Scientific node governments are elected democratically.

I see opportunities to easily rig 2 of the 4 systems, possibly all 4. People could donate money to rig an Economic node government. People could easily just vote in the most popular in a Scientific node. Theoretically, you could possibly rig a Military node government by having a large following of players all throwing matches to help ensure certain individuals rise to the top, while actively trying to defeat opposing players. And a Divine node, I don't know, maybe players could help ensure that one person advances quickly and easily on all of their quests while actively trying to hinder other players?

But in the end, again, you can only ever be Mayor of 1 node, and you must own property in that node and be a citizen of that node. And if you don't like that person or the people in that node, you can always move to another node. And being Mayor is currently a monthly term, so elections would happen quite frequently.

Just reading through the Wiki, I don't know if I would enjoy being a mayor, even of a small node. Sounds like a lot of work :lol:
  • XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
  • LafiLafi Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I think its fine that the STREAMER gets a key to test phases. But perhaps not to the community as it has cost the rest of us (im a kickstarter backer so been around a while!) A bit of coin.
    However the exposure that the streamers are giving the game is insane. We've seen thousands of new community members.
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    More hype = more money, more money = more to invest in the game. I for one think the hype is all good.......the new kids on the block asking for core ideas to be changed is a bit annoying but it's a small price to pay
  • FrostduckFrostduck Member
    edited July 2020
    I feel like streamers should in fact be priorities in alpha and especially beta tests over most loyal and constructive fans and backers. By all means join the fun.give them fuckton of keys to give away for a2 and beta also.

Because the danger of big streamers existing on servers needs to be extensively tested. Its a real concern. Look at wow. Asmongold had to make 9 guilds to fit all his boys in. In wow it was a net negative for him and noone blames him for what idiots there did but in game revolving around guilds and not factions its different.

I dont hate that and i believe streamers are overall net positive but maybe it would be good to measure their distruptive potential and maybe in fact do give them special priviliges in exchange for some safety nets. Maybe they shouldnt be able to become democratically elected mayors in exchange for extra anti griefing measures (since its not good for marketing to watch streamer be perma dead from ganks). Maybe it wont be necessary. Etc, etc.

When lineage was a thing streaming was not. Archage was p2w fiesta so it was also not a big issue. Eve is different piece of cake entirely and useless for this comparison.

It really is worth looking into. Because anyone can say "youncan be a streamer too if you think its unfair" but i dont think its unfair, its just potentially unfun. And that argument is very dishonest anyways.
    Frostduck wrote: »
    I feel like streamers should in fact be priorities in alpha and especially beta tests over most loyal and constructive fans and backers. By all means join the fun.give them fuckton of keys to give away for a2 and beta also.

Because the danger of big streamers existing on servers needs to be extensively tested. Its a real concern. Look at wow. Asmongold had to make 9 guilds to fit all his boys in. In wow it was a net negative for him and noone blames him for what idiots there did but in game revolving around guilds and not factions its different.

I dont hate that and i believe streamers are overall net positive but maybe it would be good to measure their distruptive potential and maybe in fact do give them special priviliges in exchange for some safety nets. Maybe they shouldnt be able to become democratically elected mayors in exchange for extra anti griefing measures (since its not good for marketing to watch streamer be perma dead from ganks). Maybe it wont be necessary. Etc, etc.

When lineage was a thing streaming was not. Archage was p2w fiesta so it was also not a big issue. Eve is different piece of cake entirely and useless for this comparison.

It really is worth looking into. Because anyone can say "youncan be a streamer too if you think its unfair" but i dont think its unfair, its just potentially unfun. And that argument is very dishonest anyways.

I completely disagree that streamers are more worth while then backers since the beginning. It completely cucks people out of what they're passionate about and streamers are only getting in on the hype because they can get something out of it.
  • Frostduck wrote: »

They can only be elected as mayor in the SCIENTIFIC NODE, which is just 1 out of 4 node types. Also, this will lead to a lot of drama, and you can expect people to troll streamers and vote them out of the Mayor run. I don't understand why you're complaining about it so much.

Please read this post I made.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/44956/streamer-privilege-to-those-that-come-from-twitch

It will make things so much clearer to you.
  • CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited July 2020
    xR1ku wrote: »
    Frostduck wrote: »

I completely disagree that streamers are more worth while then backers since the beginning. It completely cucks people out of what they're passionate about and streamers are only getting in on the hype because they can get something out of it.

Sadly, that's just how it is. Streamers bring thousands of players to your game. One player's money, cannot match that. However, that is only from a monetary stand point. From a loyalty stand point, streamers are NOT worth more than early backers, as they were responsible for bringing the game to the streamer's attention in the first place.

By virtue of being a social celebrity, it is only normal that you will have a large amount of people, that will want to spend a ton of their time, to harass you. If you're an alpha backer, this is not the case. So its important that you implement certain safety nets to protect streamers and other social personalities, from targeted, continuous, mass harassment.