Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Guild power

It sounds like large guilds will have more power in this game than any other game I've ever played. Between the tagging system, castle control, and node sieges a big enough guild can basically control the server.

I was thinking about making a smaller merc guild but may not because the power a larger guild can have.
Larger guilds have always been able to have a hold on world bosses but not literally change the zone and city layout.
Something I need to consider when deciding to make or join a guild.

Not saying this is good or bad but how does everyone feel about it?

Comments

• Options
    in a recent interview: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/45223/timthetatman-interview-uploaded#latest

Steven talks about guilds, there are some things in place to prevent zerging. He does make a valid point that smaller guilds can focus on guild buffs and will be able to play more of a gorilla tactics role when it comes to pvp.

With this the idea you had: Merc. guild, fits that group steven was talking about. Put your points into guild buffs and win ;)
  • Options
    WiplasherWiplasher Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    I am sure you read the wiki but go give it a look if you haven't. https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Guild

You could have 4 guilds in an alliance to bolster your numbers and influence. However obviously more players will always mean more power generally. Its also very probable guilds will subdivided into 4 guilds to make one alliance. I have been on the giving end of the 40k power house "guilds" and I am not really looking for that this time.

I think there will be plenty of reasons to be in a smaller guild, the buffs being just one of them. But as it stands right now I will be avoiding any servers with guilds in the super high numbers and streamer servers.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The game seems to be made where if you don't have a strong guild you are screwed
  • Options
    HeartbeatHeartbeat Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    WMC51 wrote: »
    It sounds like large guilds will have more power in this game than any other game I've ever played. Between the tagging system, castle control, and node sieges a big enough guild can basically control the server.

I was thinking about making a smaller merc guild but may not because the power a larger guild can have.
    Larger guilds have always been able to have a hold on world bosses but not literally change the zone and city layout.
    Something I need to consider when deciding to make or join a guild.

Not saying this is good or bad but how does everyone feel about it?

From what I know the guild cap is 300 people, and that's if they focus on size rather than skills, info pulled from the wiki. Guilds will definitely not be controlling a whole server without a massive alliance of other huge guilds as well I don't think, and even then something like that would be hard with how Ashes is portraying itself. There's too many nodes for a single guild to control them all, 103 i believe from the interviews recently. And a guildless player wouldn't be at a very big disadvantage apart from lacking any guild buffs, guild exclusive gear enhancements will be a thing, questlines and passives, all info pulled from the wiki but I can't imagine the bonuses would be game-changing as not all people like to get invested into a guild.

Guilds make things more interesting, as time goes on some disappear and more appear, power balances get thrown out of place, alliances form to crush strong guilds, etc.
  • Options
    WMC51WMC51 Member
    300 person guild is huge in this day and age with all the market divide.

Rethinking it though since a guild can only have one castle if i heard correctly and somethung like a 50 day reset on attacking maybe not such a big deal.
  • Options
    i think it would be cool if castle holding guilds were prevented from making alliances. that would severely limit the potential from 1 super guild taking over a server