Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I think Mages will be the best class.

@StevenSharif who's keeping you in check to make sure mages aren't the end all be all best class. I mean, apart from the fact that you're a wizard and control forces I don't understand.

Jokes aside. How are you guys planning class design? I understand you guys want to balance it around having an 8 man team for all possible ideas for synergy for PvE.

But what about PvP? Are you first brainstorming the base classes feeling, playstyle, and niche and then developing that first and then brainstorming the potential arguments so they're somewhat balanced and all choices feel alright? I really like class design, it will be interesting to see, and hard for you guys, to develop the tab target to skill shot ratio for every class and I'm excited to see it and provide feedback.

Will each class have multiple skill trees (similar to wow's old talent trees) or one bigger tree combining the multiple ideas but only really being able to max out a branch or two.

Honestly, I can't wait to try a rogue and then sub-spec into a mage and use blinks on all my moves where possible and zip around the battlefield being an annoying little runt. And I love that you added a bard class to the game. Nothing like playing DnD and being a rogue bard and annoying the DM with pointless actions trying to use persuasion on everything.
Aspiring Author, Streamer, and Game Developer.

Twitch
Twitter

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    They always are.
  • Options
    I'm planning on doing the Spellsword or Battle Mage, depending on more info in the future. I love the idea of having a blade and going into the fray, but being able to occasionally toss out an AoE spell or field effect spell.

One thing I'm looking forward to seeing is a group made of Mages who focus on gravity pulling spells who just time their cooldowns and not let ANYTHING get close!
    E8OOol.gif
  • Options
    PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    Lol I thought the same thing, I'm like hey Steven plays a wizard, they can't possibly suck :)
  • Options
    FrostduckFrostduck Member
    edited July 2020
    Steven said on multiple occasions, 1v1 balancing is not their concern, they will be classes better than others in single combat. They try to make it rock paper scissors more than fair fight for everyone but it eventually will likely result in very harsh hierarchy. Maybe that will change i hope it doesnt.

But if early AoC gameplay is any indication, and it probably isnt, Mana will not be just a cosmetic mechanic for mages. When u see Steven cast 4 spells he is OUT. So maybe thats what will keep mages in check.
  • Options
    HansrutgerHansrutger Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mages, rogues and anything warrior alike (fighter in AoC's case) should just be the ones pumping out damage and I don't know why people have some kind of balancing complex.

I played paladin in WoW for a long time to be that support class with different spells (Hand of Protection, Hand of Sacrifice, Hand of Salvation, etc) to be helpful and I loved it. Then they removed those which was boring. I don't think a game has to balance all classes to produce the most damage or equal damage, but instead what Steven is talking about, to give everyone a good utility belt is much much better.

Class fantasy that says "everyone should be good at everything" is not class fantasy. Making people feel useful in different ways is so much more rewarding for your own sake.
  • Options
    Good thing mages won't be the only class people can play. That would be boring :smile:
  • Options
    i played an equivalent ranger / mage hybrid in skyrim for a bit and i LOVED it. I got excited when i saw that archetype would be available here. I am hoping that it plays well because im interested in that. Though im not sure if i want to be a mage / ranger or a ranger / mage.
  • Options
    KohlKohl Member
    Minstrel.
    I'll annoy people.
  • Options
    FrostduckFrostduck Member
    edited July 2020
    Kohl wrote: »
    Minstrel.
    I'll annoy people.

Any class can do that just sub spec vegan and protest in front of tanning facilities
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The way it is described is mage will kill tank which kills rouge which kills mage.
  • Options
    PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    who kills healer :) I have seen some OP healers in my day
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sandman wrote: »
    who kills healer :) I have seen some OP healers in my day

Bubble and stone home