Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

In Game Supported Macro System

Will we have a In Game Supported Macro System? The only other MMO I've played is Rift and that macro system was a life saver and big draw to the game for me. I'm not so good at my age to be pressing 8+ buttons all the time.

Comments

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You will have access to simple macros like /sit or /lean. You will not be getting complex macros that automate play. Those are the slippery slope that lead to botting, afk play, and other bad behavior.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    /useskill 4
    /useskill 2
    /useskill 1

A macro key so you can put skills together to use on cooldown in an order instead of needing to press 10 different buttons.
    Like what Rift has.
    We need that in this game.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You will not have such macros. It is irrelevant if Rift has it. In Ashes it is banned. No AFK Play, no Botting, no complex Macros.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    The macro system being the reason you play a game speaks for itself. I think you will enjoy playing League of Angels :wink:
  • Options
    BlackBronyBlackBrony Member
    edited August 2020
    You don't understand @phdmonster

Macros in Rift are not botting. Instead they allow you to put on the same button different skills.
    Each time you press a button the first skill on the list will be activated. If that skill is on cooldown, then it will trigger the second one, and so on.
    This way you could sorta of "chain" several skills in 1 button, knowing that the first stroke will trigger X skill, the second one Y, etc.

@Libido I'm not sure how many skills will IS have, but I know you have to select active skills.
    According to wiki less than 30 on the action bar.
  • Options
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    You don't understand @phdmonster

Macros in Rift are not botting. Instead they allow you to put on the same button different skills.
    Each time you press a button the first skill on the list will be activated. If that skill is on cooldown, then it will trigger the second one, and so on.
    This way you could sorta of "chain" several skills in 1 button, knowing that the first stroke will trigger X skill, the second one Y, etc.

@Libido I'm not sure how many skills will IS have, but I know you have to select active skills.

Okay, they don't want that sort of thing in the game - chain casting etc. You'll have to do it manually.
  • Options
    You don't understand @/phdmonster

@/Libido I'm not sure how many skills will IS have, but I know you have to select active skills.

What you’re asking for is semi-automated skillcasting, which will not be allowed.

One button, one action.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    The only time I feel the need to use macros in mmorpgs is when you have so many abilities that you need macros to combine them together into a reasonable number of keybinds. Since Ashes will only allow you to use 12 abilities at a time, this shouldn't be necessary.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    The only time I feel the need to use macros in mmorpgs are when you have so many abilities that you need macros to combine them together into a reasonable number of keybinds. Since Ashes will only allow you to use 12 abilities at a time, this shouldn't be necessary.

Are they 12? I've read less than 30 from Wiki
  • Options
    mazhmazh Member
    Thanks for not supporting macros to automate gameplay
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The only time I feel the need to use macros in mmorpgs are when you have so many abilities that you need macros to combine them together into a reasonable number of keybinds. Since Ashes will only allow you to use 12 abilities at a time, this shouldn't be necessary.

Are they 12? I've read less than 30 from Wiki

30 abilities in total, but you can only use 12 at a time.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    You will not have such macros. It is irrelevant if Rift has it. In Ashes it is banned. No AFK Play, no Botting, no complex Macros.

If this is true then I have gone from being "kinda interested" in this game, to 100% pre-ordering it.
  • Options
    Libido wrote: »
    /useskill 4
    /useskill 2
    /useskill 1

A macro key so you can put skills together to use on cooldown in an order instead of needing to press 10 different buttons.
    Like what Rift has.
    We need that in this game.

Hey man I have the solution for you.

Check this out.

-press key 1
    -press key 2
    -press key 3

WOOO! we automated boys!
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The only macro I want to use is the /say "Undead Canuck calls his minions to attack" on the 1 key. Then I will press the 2 key to use his 'Minion Attack' skill.
  • Options
    Thank you BlackBrony for being the only one who understood and wasn't being a douchebag.
  • Options
    Apparently simple macros may be allowed, which would be a big boon for someone like me who likes to macro /s stuff into spells.
  • Options
    3am3am Member
    You could use gkeys or any keyboard with macro keys. If it isn't automated and requires one keypunch for one action I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to use it as it isn't automating ganeplay. Especially if we're allowing multiboxing in any form.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Libido wrote: »
    Will we have a In Game Supported Macro System? The only other MMO I've played is Rift and that macro system was a life saver and big draw to the game for me. I'm not so good at my age to be pressing 8+ buttons all the time.

Without knowing anything about your current mmo play set up. I would have to recommend a few simple things that may help you. This is universal to nearly any MMO.

1: Use a "MMO mouse", This will give you up to twelve buttons on your thumb. They are not that expensive.

2: Rebind Q and E to A and D so that you get more skills on your left hand. Some game do this by default. Rotating your character with your keyboard is very outdated and a waste of keys.

3: Rebind Z,X C, V, R, T ,F ,G ,V ,B to your hotbar for skills that are not in your main rotation. These are all keys directly near WASD. Personally I spend the first five minutes in any game I play redoing all of the hotbars and keybindings.

I don't know if you were doing this in your current game, but input optimization can really help anyone who is not already doing it. There is plenty of time between now and launch to practice in other games.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Beekeeper wrote: »
    Apparently simple macros may be allowed, which would be a big boon for someone like me who likes to macro /s stuff into spells.

I too like to flavor up my abilities with some /say!
  • Options

I too like to flavor up my abilities with some /say!

I hate this type of behavior. At best it is used to maybe let a healer know when a tank is using a big CD, but that is not the most necessary thing in the world. At worst you get people thinking they are funny with stupid one liners in half their skills.

It is reprehensible, and I am very hopeful that I wont have to deal with it in AoC.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    JexzJexz Member
    edited August 2020
    I forgot rift had that I actually liked it. Probably because Rift had a lot of skills and was designed with that macro system in mind. Right now AoC has 12 skills on the bar. reading this post there are potentially 30 skills we get to choose from. Rifts system would allow you to use all 30 and was balanced around and had cool downs with the macro system in mind. My guess is AoC is balancing around the idea of 12 skills on your bar. not the ability to actually use all 30. So that macro system is not really needed.

Not knowing all the skills but using the recent tank skill teaser Bulwark and Myrmidion's Fury would be Two skills that could actually make use of rifts macro system. Assuming one had a cool down > 1. But if Bulwark interrupts casts like it says it does on the wiki. You still wouldn't want to do this if Bulwark had a cool down < 1 and was spamable. Lets say it interrupts so it wouldn't have a cool down < 1 myrmidion's fury Could have a spamable attack time because it probably does low damage and spamming it would not be ideal.

You would want bulwark at the top so when needed it you would interrupt. But say you are just tanking pve You hit it once for the block buff hit it a 2nd time for the mitigation buff.

Resounding smash and lacerate again situational resounding smash would have to do more damage than lacerate and have a cool down.
    All the other skills shown in that video are too situational to put in a macro. If you did so you would be worse off.

The systems has its pros. With 30 skills and we are only able to choose 12 there will be a meta and some of those skills had thought put into them but will never be used. In the case above I freed up 2 inputs so we can now use 14 of the 30 skills.

It doesn't really take away any skill factor you have to put thought into your macros. Not all skills work in a macro, situational utility skills the ones that make a player shine don't work in a macro . I'm neither for nor against it. But it does make each class able to utilize a bigger kit.
  • Options
    JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    As a gentleman well beyond my reaction time, hand eye coordination, and vision prime. I would use a simple macro system to aid with my deficiencies. But the negatives of having any macros in game far outweigh any desire their may be to assist me with my unique deficiencies.
  • Options
    You can just get a keyboard that have Marco function that way you don’t have to worry about in game macro
  • Options
    SendNodes wrote: »
    You can just get a keyboard that have Marco function that way you don’t have to worry about in game macro

Unless using that gets you in trouble for emulated keystrokes.
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    It is reprehensible, and I am very hopeful that I wont have to deal with it in AoC.

It's not that serious, no need to get that hostile about something so innocuous. It's a little spammy at its absolute worst.
  • Options
    3am3am Member

Unless using that gets you in trouble for emulated keystrokes.
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

It's not that serious, no need to get that hostile about something so innocuous. It's a little spammy at its absolute worst.

I mean Logitech gkeys don't just emulate keystrokes, to the computer they are each individual key strokes. Especially with what he want which would be one key one action. Not one key multiple actions.
  • Options
    Unless using that gets you in trouble for emulated keystrokes
    nope it won’t.. works in every game
  • Options

I can only imagine how hostile you would have perceived my comment if I had used caps.

It's not that serious, but I do want to get my point across that having other players clog up the text logs is awful. It even worst in the case of games like FFXI and FFXIV where everyone wants to link in-game sounds to their moves.

TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    nope it won’t.. works in every game
    Sure it might work but if it's against the ToS you should be very careful.
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What about when Intrepid starts looking at the timing of your 'keystrokes'. If the Logitech sends each key every 10 milliseconds, that is obviously not a human.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    there is no animation cancelling, most skills seem to animation lock. I doubt anyone will be doing keystrokes every 10 milliseconds, even with macros.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif