Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Concern] Potential Flaw in the Corruption System

2»

Comments

• Options
    His (OP's) hypothesis is predicated on the need for a rare resource that must spawn and be gathered specifically in order to rank up or advance a Node.

I have not heard of this mechanic. Is there such a promise? Has there been discussion among Intrepid of such an idea?

There is currently no such mechanic

Nodes will require resources to grow, but unless something has changed recently, that’s a quantity over quality thing.
  • Options
    His (OP's) hypothesis is predicated on the need for a rare resource that must spawn and be gathered specifically in order to rank up or advance a Node.

I have not heard of this mechanic. Is there such a promise? Has there been discussion among Intrepid of such an idea?

I think I used the City example too many time people I think I have a problem with Node leveling.

My problem is that the corruption system as it is know can potentially flag a player as a corrupt person unjustly.

Let’s say a you have a rivalry going on with a guild from a neighboring node. You get wind that they’re grinding a certain resource that can be crafted into a rare item that will tip the balance towards their guild in the next guild war against them. This resource is growing near your node and you get informed by spies that this resource is being harvested by your rival guild. You gather your members and head off to fight off this guild from this resource but you and several high level guild members happen to bump into a player gathering resource which is a non-combative state, and he drops dead before he realizes his guild is being attacked.

You or one of you guild members dealt the final blow just got corrupted for killing this unsuspecting player that was assigned to gather the resources. You just got corrupted just because you stopped a rival guild getting a competitive advantage over you. This is the problem that I have a problem. I hope the core of the problem is clearer now. Just woke up 😅
  • Options
    BarbablancoBarbablanco Member
    edited August 2020
    However, if a very rare resource were to appear in my node, I wouldn’t want people from competing nodes taking that resource, which could potentially jump start their node into a metropolis. I would want to take this rare resource for my node. If a player from a competing node is traveling through my node and is harvesting/mining, its only natural my guild and I would want to ward the players away for taking resources from my node that benefit their node. If my friend and I were to kill these players from another node who are taking resources from my node, would we be flagged as a combatant and eventually corrupted?
    I think resources in the open world don't belong to anyone. Resources are going to be distributed unevenly throughout the world so that players will need to gather resources from other zones. Resources from far away areas are always going to be worth more, so players are going to be encouraged to gather locally and selling far away. Also, I think the gathering of the resources automatically applies experience to the nearby node. So even non citizens gathering would level up your node.

I think it works well for their risk vs reward philosophy. If you want to keep resources for yourself i think the corruption system creates and interesting set of choices. If you both want a valuable resource you can fight or not fight for it. If you both fight you flag for pvp, neither player gets corruption and it reduces both your death penalties. You can choose to not fight back, take the full death penalty so they get corruption. Lastly, you could both not fight and race for resources or cooperate with each other. This way you can stop a few people from taking a resource, but you won't be able to completely exclude others from getting it.
    I don’t see a way where I can ward players from stealing our nodes resources from players from competing nodes without getting corrupted.
    Citizens of far away nodes will need to use caravans to transport resources back to their home node. Opening them up for ambush in the road where they will be flagged for pvp.

• Options

I think I used the City example too many time people I think I have a problem with Node leveling.

My problem is that the corruption system as it is know can potentially flag a player as a corrupt person unjustly.

Let’s say a you have a rivalry going on with a guild from a neighboring node. You get wind that they’re grinding a certain resource that can be crafted into a rare item that will tip the balance towards their guild in the next guild war against them. This resource is growing near your node and you get informed by spies that this resource is being harvested by your rival guild. You gather your members and head off to fight off this guild from this resource but you and several high level guild members happen to bump into a player gathering resource which is a non-combative state, and he drops dead before he realizes his guild is being attacked.

You or one of you guild members dealt the final blow just got corrupted for killing this unsuspecting player that was assigned to gather the resources. You just got corrupted just because you stopped a rival guild getting a competitive advantage over you. This is the problem that I have a problem. I hope the core of the problem is clearer now. Just woke up 😅

If you're trigger happy face the consequences.
    You can easily HIT the player first and wait to the reaction. Does the player fight back? If the player fights back, no corruption.

Are you 20 guild members ganging up one player? Well, then don't complain about corruption, you one shotted the player without any chance of retaliation.

Did you stop to parley? Intimidate the player into giving the resource or stop gathering it and save the death penalty?

I mean, I see so many options, I don't understand why you will go straight to killing when there are so many ways around.
  • Options

If your guild is at war with another guild then you don’t incur any corruption when killing that guild’s members, so this argument falls apart too.
  • Options
    This is not a problem, you are free to go take what you want from their nodes just the same they are free to take from yours. Fight over what is valuable to you. Just because you call the node home doesn't mean its your resources. Plenty of mechanics in the game to avoid corruption.