Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Starting an open world PvP fight

2»

Comments

• Options
    SSRogueSSRogue Member
    edited August 2020
    jubilum wrote: »

You had to know I was not going to agree with your definition of pvp, nor are you going to agree with mine. To me it is simple two players using their skill and abilities to determine a winner. It ceases being pvp and only p when one p does not desire to participate in such a contest. At that point it becomes something entirely different, I will refrain from giving it name in this instance even though we all know what it is. It is kind of like saying you are playing tennis when hitting the ball against a wall, or boxing when punching a heavy bag. With that said the rest of your argument falls apart quickly.

The p and p thing made me laugh out loud and wake the baby... too funny.

Sadly I get what he said and meant but I get what you say and mean. It's so simple yet so complicated. The devs in any game deserve much more respect then we give them. That being said, I think the game will work out in ways we can't imagine... in time. It's pretty solid and has a good team.
  • Options
    Beateerr wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I was just wondering how does the open world PvP works in terms like starting a fight with someone. Like do you declare a fight to him somehow or you just start attacking him. Hopefully it's not the second one coz that would give advantage to the attacker since he's the 1st one to attack. And i think of this as if both of them were non-combatants.

I want to apologize for commenting all over your thread and never directly communicating with you about your original post topic for so long. So to bring it back around what I would say I have already kinda said in my first response but... in basic terms open pvp is allowed but made annoyingly difficult for the killer. It will almost always inconvenience them more in the long run.
  • Options
    JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    SSRogue wrote: »

You had to know I was not going to agree with your definition of pvp, nor are you going to agree with mine. To me it is simple two players using their skill and abilities to determine a winner. It ceases being pvp and only p when one p does not desire to participate in such a contest. At that point it becomes something entirely different, I will refrain from giving it name in this instance even though we all know what it is. It is kind of like saying you are playing tennis when hitting the ball against a wall, or boxing when punching a heavy bag. With that said the rest of your argument falls apart quickly.

Sadly I get what he said and meant but I get what you say and mean. It's so simple yet so complicated. The devs in any game deserve much more respect then we give them. That being said, I think the game will work out in ways we can't imagine... in time. It's pretty solid and has a good team.

I agree this game has a solid foundation, that is why I tossed them a few bucks in kickstarter, and the foundation is even stronger now and a game I could commit 1000's of hours into But, before I spend one minute in this game they will have to prove to me that I can walk to my freehold after a long night in the node tavern without getting my throat cut by some highway man just cause he can. Just as I wouldn't live in a neighborhood where a similar event would happen.
  • Options

I agree this game has a solid foundation, that is why I tossed them a few bucks in kickstarter, and the foundation is even stronger now and a game I could commit 1000's of hours into But, before I spend one minute in this game they will have to prove to me that I can walk to my freehold after a long night in the node tavern without getting my throat cut by some highway man just cause he can. Just as I wouldn't live in a neighborhood where a similar event would happen.

That's why the corruption system has been implemented. The corruption system is a deterrent for random griefing... Could you get ganked on your way back to your freehold? Yes. Will it happen all the time? Most likely not. You'll be fine.. do not worry. :)
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    Samson wrote: »

That's why the corruption system has been implemented. The corruption system is a deterrent for random griefing... Could you get ganked on your way back to your freehold? Yes. Will it happen all the time? Most likely not. You'll be fine.. do not worry. :)

Can you guarantee that? I personally would not be able to overcome the emotional scar of having my throat cut.
  • Options

Can you guarantee that? I personally would not be able to overcome the emotional scar of having my throat cut.

giphy.gif
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options

I feel like within the city walls or immediate territory you'll always be safe from that or safest at the least. If I had it my way then you would have a shady alley you might need to stay away from or an enticing hunting ground but not in the understood safe zone of the city itself or player housing.
  • Options
    I could get onboard with a shady ally to stumble into if I had one too many that evening at the local tavern.
  • Options
    A lot has been told here huh.. Just to be clear, I didnt complain about all of this especially not about PvP. I love PvP a lot in MMOs, as a matter of fact OW PvP is my favourite kind of PvP. I was juat wondering how it works so i can get a feeling of who should i kill and when.. Coz lets be honest there'a gonna be fight over farming spots, for those material veins etc. It will be fun a lot, especially if spawn camping is not a thing in the game.
  • Options
    ogreogre Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ogre wrote: »
    It's the groups (15-100 players) of "criminals" that show up with the sole purpose to harvest tears and destroy the community. These groups have caused me to leave several games even though I am a pvp'er.

It will be very intesting to see how Intrepid decides to handle situations like this. Theoretically a guild with a large enough number of NA and EU players could have exclusive control of a large swathe of in-game land 24/7 if they desired.

EVE already deals with this but new larger groups always come up from the cracks and big guilds always fall because of infighting, espionage, greed, and betrayal. Plus this system does have term limits on higher rank positions and other guilds can work together per in-game systems and team up to destroy a node and start mone somewhere else.

Ah that's cool to hear, never played EVE but have heard some pretty insane stories about that game.
  • Options
    Juk KOJuk KO Member
    edited August 2020
    Imagine being a pve player. Farming. Y

Don't worry you'll be fine. The population to grief will be minuscule.

I know one thing. I'm gonna be doing some throat cutting in-between freeholds and node taverns. Hope
    to leave an emotional scar too. ;)
  • Options
    Eve Online is the best mmo available and will continue to be. I have played pretty much everyday for the last 12 years in some capacity or another. I just takes a huge commitment to truly succeed, which scares a lot of people away.
  • Options
    Eve Online is the best mmo available and will continue to be. I have played pretty much everyday for the last 12 years in some capacity or another. I just takes a huge commitment to truly succeed, which scares a lot of people away.

I think guild war and node/city raids will feel a lot like EVE just on a shorter timescale. I would rather focus my time on smaller-scale daily things then an entire guild bent on building up for a guild raid because I know how people become when given power even as a guild leader myself, but I cannot deny the fun it will be to be involved in such things. I think I am going to go for a middle ground caravan hunting guild and semi rp as robin hood types ;p