Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How Many Freeholds Can A Server Have Active at One Time?

If all 10,000 players on a server decides that they want their own freehold, is there enough room to accommodate this?

I know there are in-node housing and instanced housing but I'm sure that most people are going to want housing that everyone can see over the instanced option (freeholds/static in-node).
sig-Samson-Final.gif

Comments

• Options
    Guess it will be first come first serve.
    And I hope to be first^^
  • Options
    Raoul9753 wrote: »
    Guess it will be first come first serve.
    And I hope to be first^^

Yeah, seems so. Just curious on a number. :) I'm sure that people aren't going to want to see housing everywhere taking up the beautiful landscape as well.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    My guess is there will be a race to get them the first couple months and alot of people that want won't get them. I also assume that within a year the first owners will be able to sell for a 1000% or more profit.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The value of a freehold after a few months depends largely on whether or not all crafting can be done in other housing types.

If it can, freeholds will only be needed for people doing things like animal husbandry. If there is a recurring expence tied to them, I can see people actually just dropping them and moving in to an apartment or in node house.

What I don't see is people spending rediculous amounts of money on a thing that is literally worth nothing if your node loses a siege.
  • Options
    Brilliant question. Was asking myself this too can couldn't find an answer. I just got some estimations, given theres >109 nodes on the server and Freehold which are only available at >=Stage 3 of Node Development I'd say they'll probably be a max of 2k on a server (give a Node's ZOI can vary, some nodes can have 2 Freeholds, others maybe 20, who knows).

Ofc this is pure speculation based on what I've heard and read on the wiki!
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »
    What I don't see is people spending rediculous amounts of money on a thing that is literally worth nothing if your node loses a siege.

Trust me, people will

• Options
    The value of a freehold after a few months depends largely on whether or not all crafting can be done in other housing types.

If it can, freeholds will only be needed for people doing things like animal husbandry. If there is a recurring expence tied to them, I can see people actually just dropping them and moving in to an apartment or in node house.

Just curious or if it is known. I understood that if a level 6 node looses a siege it only drops to a level 5, it isn't wiped off the face of Verra. And your freehold was destroyed wouldn't you at least still own the land just now in a level 5 node, and be able to rebuild?
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    jubilum wrote: »

Just curious or if it is known. I understood that if a level 6 node looses a siege it only drops to a level 5, it isn't wiped off the face of Verra. And your freehold was destroyed wouldn't you at least still own the land just now in a level 5 node, and be able to rebuild?

I am unsure of the current status in terms of if nodes can just be deleveled in a siege, or if the options are that specific builds can be destroyed or the node as a whole can be destroyed - it has been each of these at various times.

However, at the point in time where nodes could be deleveled (which doesn't make any sense to me from a technical/design perspective), then the idea was that if your node was still within the now reduces boundary of the node, then your freehold may be damaged, but not destroyed.

There does seem to be some gray areas in regards to what is actually happening there, due to there having been two distinct and mutually exclusive ways for node siege loss to be applied. I believe the wiki has pieces of information from both still listed and referenced (not that I could blame them).

My assumption on how it will go when the game goes live is the other way that was described (as opposed to the above). If you only just lose a siege, it may be that your node only loses a few buildings that can be rebuilt. If you get thrashed, then your node is destroyted.

Obviously, if this is the way it does end up being when the game goes live, if you lose a siege, everyone loses their freehold.
  • Options
    TheLegend27TheLegend27 Member
    edited August 2020

This was my interpretation too. I thought only Apartments and "in-node housing" can be perma-lost (and the items lost will be returned to your inbox). I imagine, since you own the land, only the stuff can be destroyed but you keep your Freehold.
    However, that's not the case :( - "Items stored in a Freehold may become lootable after a successful siege against their parent Node." and also - "If a freehold does not reside within the ZOI of a stage three (Village) node or above, it will be destroyed.".

So with that said, I guess: if your FH is literally at the edge of a Node's ZOI and a siege is successful, your freehold will be destroyed. Freeholds must be under at least a 1 Stage 3 node's ZOI at all times, else it doesn't exist.

Final relevant quote from Margaret:
    "If a siege is successful, then the Node is brought down to Level 0, and anyone who was a citizen of that Node is no longer a citizen. Freeholds within the Zone of Influence are subject to a period of vulnerability. These Freeholds can be destroyed by other players during a period of roughly 2 hours after a successful siege. Destroyed Freeholds are subject to material loss, and blueprints for them are mailed to the player to utilize for future placement in order to allow the player to keep their Freehold’s layout and structure. Once the vulnerability period is complete, any remaining Freeholds will exist under a grace period for roughly 1 week where another Node may take over the Zone of Influence of the Freehold. – Margaret Krohn"
  • Options

This was my interpretation too. I thought only Apartments and "in-node housing" can be perma-lost (and the items lost will be returned to your inbox). I imagine, since you own the land, only the stuff can be destroyed but you keep your Freehold.
    However, that's not the case :( - "Items stored in a Freehold may become lootable after a successful siege against their parent Node." and also - "If a freehold does not reside within the ZOI of a stage three (Village) node or above, it will be destroyed.".

So with that said, I guess: if your FH is literally at the edge of a Node's ZOI and a siege is successful, your freehold will be destroyed. Freeholds must be under at least a 1 Stage 3 node's ZOI at all times, else it doesn't exist.

Final relevant quote from Margaret:
    "If a siege is successful, then the Node is brought down to Level 0, and anyone who was a citizen of that Node is no longer a citizen. Freeholds within the Zone of Influence are subject to a period of vulnerability. These Freeholds can be destroyed by other players during a period of roughly 2 hours after a successful siege. Destroyed Freeholds are subject to material loss, and blueprints for them are mailed to the player to utilize for future placement in order to allow the player to keep their Freehold’s layout and structure. Once the vulnerability period is complete, any remaining Freeholds will exist under a grace period for roughly 1 week where another Node may take over the Zone of Influence of the Freehold. – Margaret Krohn"

The above statement answers my question, thanks. So you would still own the land if you are able to defend it from destruction and another node in the ZOI is level 3 or above or is able to reach that level within a week.
  • Options
    Yeah so this actually means Freeholds are "recyclable". Meaning OP's concern on accommodation is not that bad, because if you want a freehold and all are taken, then theres a mechanism in place for you to "Hijack" an existing one through sieges.

Glad to see its NOT a "first come first serve" model.