Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What Will Determine Your Personal Profession Choice?

I suppose this post is as simple as the title itself, what will determine your own profession? Will you be choosing a profession based on what makes you the most profit? What benefits your guild most? Or simply picking it based on what you think best suits your character.

For me personally, I'll be choosing my profession based on what is most beneficial to my guild! Look forward to seeing others views!
kNfIFH6.gif

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    I'll find daisies and pluck petals until one profession remains.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I already aim to craft the first legendary trinket on my server as a jewel crafter.

Did Jewel crafting since The Burning Legion and will always choose it if i have the chance ;D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Valento92Valento92 Member
    edited August 2020
    I like summoner versatility, let's see how it goes in AOC.

Oops, got it wrong. So, any gathering profession because it allows me to explore the world (and die to pks lol jk)
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options
    How detailed and deep cooking is^^
  • Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My profession will likely involve whatever consumable people use the most.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    XenantayaXenantaya Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Same as OP, I'll be looking at what is most beneficial to my guild. I'm very interested in AOC's Artisan Classes and economics, but am not wedded to do any particular skill. My guess is that a guild will most want something in the Processing Artisan Class, since I think that will be the least frequently picked Artisan Class (most mains will be Gatherers for the easy gold, and Crafting has its own prestige that attracts people).

The question then becomes do I make my adventuring main also a Processor? Or instead do I make my adventuring main a Gatherer, set up my main's freehold as necessary to support the Processing skills the guild wants, and then have an alt be the actual Processor?

If anyone new is reading this and wants more information on Artisan Classes, see https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Artisan_classes
  • Options
    AmelAmel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ship building for sure. My guild intends to be pirates
  • Options
    Well it will be a difficult decision for me because I'm one of the, "do everything on my own" types. Since I can't do that in AoC however, I may base it on either class needs OR what is deemed to be the most difficult to master (since that will make said craft more rare)
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    Since housing is this great and a lot of people love transmog in WoW I instantly decided to go for carpentry. Be able to create that specific table for your perfect home gives me a sense of calmness.

Be sure to visit my shop to see all the different variations you can have! :)
  • Options
    I love to cook in real life, so I've always migrated towards leveling up my Cooking craft in most MMOs that allow it. However, the food you make never really felt as impactful, as what AoC is promising; so I'm really stoked on creating a Freehold Tavern, that people can come by and get buffs from buying my food.

I'm really hoping that the cooking in this game will be flexible in terms of, what kind of additional stats, buffs, and general effects I can add in them; that experimenting with different recipes and combining them, will be rewarding.
  • Options
    Im interested in Gathering. Its allways relaxing most of the time.
    Only Logging is off my list straight of the bat.
    I hate seeing a tree, go to it and not beeing able to farm the massiv oak just becourse its not THE oak im supposed to farm.
    If i want to cut down an entire forrest, then i should be able to do just that. Even if all i get is Tier 1 wood.

Mining sounds interesting but thanks to the PVP around it, it will be anything but relaxing.
    Leaves me with Farming and Herb gathering.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    Malc wrote: »
    I suppose this post is as simple as the title itself, what will determine your own profession? Will you be choosing a profession based on what makes you the most profit? What benefits your guild most? Or simply picking it based on what you think best suits your character.

For me personally, I'll be choosing my profession based on what is most beneficial to my guild! Look forward to seeing others views!

That will HIGHLY depend on how they present the taming system and it's pros and cons to us. I think I might even start a whole new thread about my thoughts on this. Damn, I will, right now. =D
  • Options
    Anything that gives overall power boost.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Whatever I need to make books
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Money XD that simple
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've always chosen my professions based on what I think the character would do from an RP standpoint. I plan on playing a rogue, probably with Jewelcrafting as a focus, but maybe I'll go gathering.
  • Options
    Something that let's me see the world and has some sense of variation - so I'm going for taming.
  • Options
    TroublesTroubles Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    enjoyment.
  • Options
    I guess it depends on class. If my class can solo PvP decently well, a good option is gathering.
    You need to survive out there, and need a class with mobility and some sort of survival, able to escape from battles that you know you can't win.
    I'm guessing clerics won't be good for this, but mages with a Teleport might be better.
  • Options
    MoMeme6701MoMeme6701 Member
    edited August 2020
    As a royal knight, I was born in a wealthy family where my father was a jewel crafter in the city of York, and it got my attention to learn jewel crafting and carry on the family business while I am a royal knight and serve the goddess of Norlan's followers.

Guild Discord: Here
    RP Community Discord: Here
  • Options
    GroxGrox Member
    I will pick it on what I will like to play the most in PVP.
  • Options
    WreynaWreyna Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Pies. I plan to run the best pastry shop in Verra. :)
  • Options
    PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love taming in any game, assuming we can sell our tames like in Ultima Online, not sure if we can or not. That would be my direction. Furniture would be my 2nd choice.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2020
    I'll go with gathering. I like being out in the open world and truly explore and discover, while also being constantly in a state of danger.

I dont care at all about growing and processing mats, or even playing crafting minigames, effectivelly reducing my gaming time and working a second job. It's not for me. Ill just sell my raw gatherables, and fight for them wherever they spawn.

However, I am greatful for all these systems that make the mmo harder and socially based, as opposed to games like ESO, in which I never faced any difficulty in reaching max lv to ALL the professions, my adventure class and ALL the global skills. For all the group content I never cared to get to know other players. Just pug Group Finder. I never needed to belong to something bigger than me, because that game had nothing bigger going on than transmorg and mounts.

Ye AoC. Just give me my dual wield Fighter, and Ill go gather raw materials to manage my finances and gear as I explore, mastering my class, lv up and PvP.
    And then let me join a guild and do mmo stuff like attack caravans, do naval battles, contest Raid Bosses, own castles, atk/defend player made cities, 1v1 for fame in front of players chilling in the village arena.
    These are the 6-12 months of gameplay I want before any expansion (ability rebalance, new lv cap, new gear tier, new abilities, new map zones, new towns, new raid bosses and new Epic World Bosses).

Not ez story questing, optional dungeon runs and optional Battlegrounds with 0 player interaction out in the open and the market.
  • Options
    lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Enjoyment. I think I'll have the most fun trying to figure out how to tweak mounts and create new ones and test the limits of what is possible.
    signature.png
  • Options
    JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    1. Safety - this takes gathering out of the picture.
    2. Simplicity - From what I've heard so far about rare resource requirements, Crafting will be to stressful.
    3. Profit margins

So I guess it will processing for me. I will pay above average for raw mats from gatherers. Smelt them at my freehold with limited risk. Then sell to crafters for a modest profit.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2020
    jubilum wrote: »
    1. Safety - this takes gathering out of the picture.
    2. Simplicity - From what I've heard so far about rare resource requirements, Crafting will be to stressful.
    3. Profit margins

So I guess it will processing for me. I will pay above average for raw mats from gatherers. Smelt them at my freehold with limited risk. Then sell to crafters for a modest profit.

Hahhahahahahahhahaha

Aaaaaahahhahahahahahah
  • Options
    Fishing! Just like I fished In AA!
  • Options
    BoomBoom Member
    edited August 2020
    The limit of how many professions I can have in each stage will determine this.

If only one of each, I'd like to be a lumberjack, wood refiner, and boat builder. If I CAN select more such as mining, smelting, and weapon smithing, I certainly will. I like the idea of cutting down trees. I haven't experienced this in many other games and I figure, there are trees everywhere. It would be nice if I could shape the landscape with my gathering as well.

I thought it would be nice to get a ship ASAP. If I can fish from it without losing lumberjack, I'm gonna. If I can weaponize the boat without losing boat building, I'm gonna. The full extent of what I'm ALLOWED to do is going to be done.
    Where words fail, music speaks.” ― Hans Christian Andersen