Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Necromancers and Shamans

i was just worried about necromancers option to choose between "good" or " bad".
I'm hoping to see necromancer as class who takes life from enemies to fuel his minions or allies and fights darkness with darkness even when you get hated or feared by allies.
About good necromancers using spirits to aid allies i think that should be shaman thing since shamans are these spiritual guides in real history too.
You are allready making rough choice of using life force as fuel when you pick up cleric as secondary unlike other kind of summoners who picked up elements or shadows or other kind of thing.

Comments

• Options
    By the nature of the class I don't think there is a way to make them not neutral or evil. When they are the most good they are neutral because they raise the dead. When they are evil it's for the same reason. Plus their magics not tied to summoning align very closely with liches.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Well they are a summoner first and everything else is secondary
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    WeeroWeero Member
    edited August 2020
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    By the nature of the class I don't think there is a way to make them not neutral or evil. When they are the most good they are neutral because they raise the dead. When they are evil it's for the same reason. Plus their magics not tied to summoning align very closely with liches.

To say a necromancer can not be any better than neutral is a bit lacking in imagination isn't it? Take the Priests of Rathma from Diablo for example, they uphold balance between the high heavens and hell. This is not to say that they are neutral because of this middle position between the high heavens and hell. No, they are explicitly on the side of Humanity, since demons are out to destroy Sanctuary, while angels are at best out to restrain Humankind, and at worst out to destroy them like the demons they fight.
  • Options
    They are who I was thinking about. Angels are good in Diablo while Demons are evil. Staying on humanities side is neutral. Plus they take it further by staying out of affairs of most of humanity. They only act when they need to. However, none of the good aligned humans will treat them fairly since they control the dead.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Yookaja wrote: »
    About good necromancers using spirits to aid allies i think that should be shaman thing since shamans are these spiritual guides in real history too.

Historically, necromancy is just the practice of communicating with the dead (spirits), generally for the purpose of divination. There's a big overlap with shamans in that sense.
  • Options
    YookajaYookaja Member
    edited August 2020
    Ravudha wrote: »
    Yookaja wrote: »

Historically, necromancy is just the practice of communicating with the dead (spirits), generally for the purpose of divination. There's a big overlap with shamans in that sense.

i propably should have explained better but i'm mostly worried about choice Steven pointed in one his streams being white necromancer with supportive spirits or darker corpse puppeteer. I would prefer having necro (summoner/cleric) being guy who uses life force as extra tool in kit and letting people be good or bad by their actions. Shaman (cleric/summoner) class clearly allready chosen to be support would fit much better in concept of asking spirits to help aid party members.
    Anyway its just suggestion i would like to see come true in game if possible.
    Whole thing propably has something to do with tabletop games like d&d where rising dead is basicly allways considered as evil act.
  • Options
    If he wants to add more supportive options for necromancer i think it would be nice if it comes from stealing health/strength from enemies and sharing it with allies. Maybe it could be done through minion dmg or just specific spell.
    Drains/dots, debuffs and minions are all very Necromancer like things many have liked on other games.
  • Options
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    They are who I was thinking about. Angels are good in Diablo while Demons are evil. Staying on humanities side is neutral. Plus they take it further by staying out of affairs of most of humanity. They only act when they need to. However, none of the good aligned humans will treat them fairly since they control the dead.

I don't know what kinda world you live in, but in my opinion what is good for humanity is Good. And angels are good? Maybe in a world where angels always have humanitys best interest in mind, but in a lot of fictional worlds that's not always the case, it's often the opposite that's true.
  • Options
    The way Diablo designed their story is there is a scale. The closer to angels you are the closer to good you are. The closer to demons you are the more evil you are. Not all Angels are good and not all Demons are evil, but that's the dynamic of the game across all of their books and all of their games.

If it wasn't that way you wouldn't have saved heaven in Diablo 3.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    I have been chasing this elusive class feel of a shaman for years. The 2 closest things that have really tickled my inner spirit guide when it comes to how the shaman class was portrayed was; Guild Wars 1 and their Ritualist profession, and Warhammer age of Reckoning goblin shaman. I would love to see a clear a definite break in how shamans and necromancers work in AoC. If they end up being both some what of a summoning type, I would love to see the necro being a mobile summoner and a shaman a turret based summoner.
    If they both have a healing element to them, I would love to see the necro give and take life, while the shaman drains and grants mana/energy.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Detoxer wrote: »
    I have been chasing this elusive class feel of a shaman for years. The 2 closest things that have really tickled my inner spirit guide when it comes to how the shaman class was portrayed was; Guild Wars 1 and their Ritualist profession, and Warhammer age of Reckoning goblin shaman. I would love to see a clear a definite break in how shamans and necromancers work in AoC. If they end up being both some what of a summoning type, I would love to see the necro being a mobile summoner and a shaman a turret based summoner.
    If they both have a healing element to them, I would love to see the necro give and take life, while the shaman drains and grants mana/energy.

Thats not how the sub classes work
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    I'm curious about naming the Summoner/Cleric combination of archetype as "Necromancer". Theoretically couldn't I choose the life augment for the cleric and get some sort of divine/celestial summons? We've already been told that death augment will lead to skeletons/zombies/etc..., it feels kind of weird to be called a necromancer when the life augment is chosen, though I understand the underlying principle of the manipulation of "life-force". Also, have the other two augments for cleric not been chosen yet (stated each archetype will offer 4 augments), or will 2 be considered life and 2 as death?
  • Options
    I've seen them reference walking a light or dark path perhaps via the religion system, but from what I've seen there's no "alignment" system, and are there even going to be items that are augment specific? If there's no alignment - and no augment specific equipment or things along those lines - then it will essentially be as another poster said - a summoner first, and a necromancer second, and the necromancer will be more flavor than major impact. Honestly I haven't seen heavily involved alignment systems since the MUD days back in the 90's early 2k's, and DND related stuff - where classes that had strict alignment requirements got benefits for adhering to them(down to the types of monsters they killed, or quests they completed/manner of completion etc). I mean I've always loved that kind of stuff myself, where choices like that influenced more in game than simply an aesthetic, but I just haven't seen it added into much outside of again - dnd based IP's, and far older games. Generally class is the "equipment definer" - and it begins and ends there.