Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

DPS Meter Megathread

1204205206207208210»

Comments

• Options
    rikardp98rikardp98 Member
    edited February 1
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    I fully understand where Dygz is coming from a rp perspective, meanwhile noaani is trying to make a statement if your character had god powers they would use it RP wise .A statement that is missing the actual soul of rp.

No soul = no fun. Looking at tracking numbers to figure out what you need to do to beat an encounter is not engaging.

Having more information obviously will make things easier, but trying to make a point about the game design needs to be people using trackers to figure things out to make "hard" content is gross.

Why is your RP better than someone else's RP?

What if someone thinks that looking at numbers to figure something out is really engaging. Why do you have the right to say that they are wrong? (If its not against the TOS)
  • Options
    rikardp98 wrote: »
    I fully understand where Dygz is coming from a rp perspective, meanwhile noaani is trying to make a statement if your character had god powers they would use it RP wise .A statement that is missing the actual soul of rp.

No soul = no fun. Looking at tracking numbers to figure out what you need to do to beat an encounter is not engaging.

Having more information obviously will make things easier, but trying to make a point about the game design needs to be people using trackers to figure things out to make "hard" content is gross.

What if someone thinks that looking at numbers to figure something out is really engaging. Why do you have the right to say that they are wrong? (If its not against the TOS)

This sounds like children saying they are rping while holding the monster manual and listing everything off about every encounter and what they are weak to.

Eventually there is a point where you are not actually rping and just doing what you want.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2
    It really has nothing to do with whether or not Noaani's preferred playstyle is "wrong".
    What matters is whether it fits with the goals of the Ashes game design.
    "Ashes is not made for everyone."
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

This sounds like children saying they are rping while holding the monster manual and listing everything off about every encounter and what they are weak to.

To me, that just sounds like RP'ing a professional.

As I said earlier, if I was my character, in that world, and I was an adventurer, you had better believe that is what I would do.

I mean, that is what I do with my real profession, and my previous profession, so why would I not do that if my profession was life or death?

It is the notion that this CAN'T be good RP that is just blatantly wrong. Not all RP needs to consist of bumbling idiots - sometimes our characters can be competent at what they do.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

As I said earlier, if I was my character, in that world, and I was an adventurer, you had better believe that is what I would do.

I mean, that is what I do with my real profession, and my previous profession, so why would I not do that if my profession was life or death?

It is the notion that this CAN'T be good RP that is just blatantly wrong. Not all RP needs to consist of bumbling idiots - sometimes our characters can be competent at what they do.

This isn't a isekai though you aren't going to get that kind of op power. If you are roleplaying that character you are going to be normal and not knowing all information you are going to have to figure things out as you go through it. And if you die its the end.

It has nothing to do with being bumbling idiots, its about you are exploring a world and encountering things for the first time. So you have that kind of alien feeling to the world and sense of danger.
  • Options
    edited February 2

This isn't a isekai though you aren't going to get that kind of op power. If you are roleplaying that character you are going to be normal and not knowing all information you are going to have to figure things out as you go through it. And if you die its the end.
    I'm not sure what kind of op power it is you are talking about here.

If I were roleplaying a character they wouldn't know the information - this part is correct. Until, that is, they do.

Since using a combat tracker only gives me data on fights I am participating in, I am learning that information at the same time my character would. It isn't as if the first time seeing a wyrven or some shit my tracker could tell me what it does - it can only ever tell me what it has already done to me, and my character would know that.
    It has nothing to do with being bumbling idiots, its about you are exploring a world and encountering things for the first time. So you have that kind of alien feeling to the world and sense of danger.
    Yeah, the difference being as I explore the world, I pay attention to it. As per the above, I as a player can't use a tracker to learn anything that my character hasn't experienced - thus I am learning at the appropriate pace.

At the absolute best, your argument could apply to alts.
  • Options
    Otr wrote: »
    The model would work for all competitive games.
    The link Mag7Spy posted was about LoL
    Yes, the MSI monitor was showcasing it's AI ability in LoL.

However, the notion of players needing to get up, out of their house, across town to some specific location to just play an MMORPG is going to kill MMORPG's. It works in South Korea, but that is because that has been the culture there for generations (in MMO terms).

The reason people care about LoL is because millions of peope play it every day. Millions of people are not going to play it if they need to go to psecific, certified places to do so. At least not in the west.

well, back in the day, people played ragnarok online at cybercafes in latinamerica. this was very common. also in the phillipines. i know people who still play games in cyber cafes, and some of those games are mmorpg (although they arent as popular as before). hell, i even know people who dont own a computer (they have phones and consoles though, and some dont even have those).

id say that it wouldnt work in usa, but it would in latin america (thats part of the west, and we have more people than usa). some people even go to cyber cafes and play not because they cant play at home, but because they can hang out with friends while playing. its a social activity.

with that being said, i dont want games to be limited to cyber cafes only, i wanna be able to play at home.

• Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    Otr wrote: »
    The model would work for all competitive games.
    The link Mag7Spy posted was about LoL
    Yes, the MSI monitor was showcasing it's AI ability in LoL.

However, the notion of players needing to get up, out of their house, across town to some specific location to just play an MMORPG is going to kill MMORPG's. It works in South Korea, but that is because that has been the culture there for generations (in MMO terms).

The reason people care about LoL is because millions of peope play it every day. Millions of people are not going to play it if they need to go to psecific, certified places to do so. At least not in the west.

well, back in the day, people played ragnarok online at cybercafes in latinamerica. this was very common. also in the phillipines. i know people who still play games in cyber cafes, and some of those games are mmorpg (although they arent as popular as before). hell, i even know people who dont own a computer (they have phones and consoles though, and some dont even have those).

id say that it wouldnt work in usa, but it would in latin america (thats part of the west, and we have more people than usa). some people even go to cyber cafes and play not because they cant play at home, but because they can hang out with friends while playing. its a social activity.

with that being said, i dont want games to be limited to cyber cafes only, i wanna be able to play at home.

It's also common in South Korea - which is why Korean MMORPG's are inherently designed differently than MMORPG's from NA and EU.

The issue with the suggestion is that it would make any MMORPG that followed the idea to simply not be played in NA/EU, and many people in other parts of the world would still skip it over if they can't play it at home.

The other issue with it is that the people running the game couldn't just assume every Internet cafe was following the rules - they are generally no more trustworthy than the average MMO player (they are often managed by the average MMO player). So even in those areas where it is common to go to places like this, it would still be limited in regards to exactly which establishments they could go to in order for the developer to guarantee there won't be any cheating.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Idk what you're talking about I have the Perfect Observation and Godly Appraisal skills irl.

Get on my level I guess?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    OtrOtr Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    It really has nothing to do with whether or not Noaani's preferred playstyle is "wrong".
    What matters is whether it fits with the goals of the Ashes game design.
    "Ashes is not made for everyone."

That means the game should give reduced rewards to players who are "looking at numbers".
    And sometime should randomly reward choices which look like mistakes, potentially even suicidal.
    Chaotic evil NPCs made by chaotic evil developers, for innocent adventurers.
  • Options
    MrMurlocMrMurloc Member, Founder
    Definitely, the DPS and HP meter is very convenient in understanding the usefulness of a class in specific situations when damage is too important.

And also to understand how useful you are and whether you are using rotation correctly. Which equipment and build brings more profit.

If the Creators are completely against this idea. It would be nice to at least use this function during training with a mannequin and generally create mannequins in the game on which you can train.☺️
  • Options
    DPS Meters have always been a crutch, not a tool to "help you improve"

If you can't tell how fast things are dying based off your own Cooldowns...then you're doing it wrong.
  • Options
    DPS Meters have always been a crutch, not a tool to "help you improve"

If you can't tell how fast things are dying based off your own Cooldowns...then you're doing it wrong.

This is probably the most simplistic, ill considered opinion on this topic.

If you think knowing how fast a mob dies is a substitute for a combat tracker, you do not know what a combat tracker does.

This seems to be a common theme with most people that call them DPS meters - including the OP of this thread.
  • Options
    abc0815abc0815 Member
    For alpha testing knowing numbers and "stuff" seems kinda important. As for the released game i don't really care since i don't consider it a must have feature.
  • Options
    There needs to be a DPS Meter and same as WoW you can even have different tabs for Healing (HPS) and even Interrupts/Silences or Kicks. This is just common sense tbh and it’s kinda essential for a PvX game such as AOC.
    j2p8mdmovgu9.jpg