Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[ POLL ] What was the first MMO you ever played?

Comments

• Options
    VyceVyce Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Asheron Call
  • Options
    RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Not there, my first MMO was MÜ Online
    2PXdm1m
  • Options
    KervoseKervose Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Neverwinter Nights (AOL)
    1992-1997
    Member of Crusaders of the Realm (COR)
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    FFIX and Lineage 2 were the first two to hook me in. I technically got to play a little bit of EQ1 before that, but it was just a quick play session.

Unless we are counting Diablo as a MMO, then its Diablo 1 all the way.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Lineage 2, then WoW in 2005.

Diablo and D2 have more MMORPG aspects than a lot of modern games.. So D2. Final answer.
  • Options
    People will judge me for this but... Perfect World was my fav back in the day. P2W as hell but I still believed if I could farm enough I could become as strong as the elite! Oh how naive I was...
    Join our Pirate Crew : the Sharktooth Pirates! Let's have an adventure on the seas of Verra and kill our enemies!

https://discord.gg/gFuVBPdBRa
  • Options
    My first MMO was MU Online.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    Umata wrote: »
    People will judge me for this but... Perfect World was my fav back in the day. P2W as hell but I still believed if I could farm enough I could become as strong as the elite! Oh how naive I was...

64583992.jpg
  • Options
    OU then Asherons call, then bounced around to tons of different ones hoping to find that old magic, haven't found it. Hoping AoC scratches that itch I've been missing for years.

Happy to see other Asherons Call veterans here :)
  • Options
    JexzJexz Member
    EQ talon then sullon zek. I Think we're the servers.
    Wish I played Daoc and GW1 I think I would have reaĺy enjoyed those two.
  • Options
    Do MUD's count? Gemstone 3/4 if they do :shrug:
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Do MUD's count? Gemstone 3/4 if they do :shrug:

That's going back. It was MUD's that Everquest was inspired by, I believe.
  • Options
    RazelthethirdRazelthethird Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    CBS (Computer battle simulation) Was an instructor for the military in 1987 - 1994 Was used between european and N.A. forces as opposing forces and was tied to flight, tank, apc, etc simulators.
    Axiom-Guild-Signature-Template-RAZELTHETHIRD.png
  • Options
    TarlachTarlach Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Lineage 1 was first and probably my favorite. Put a lot of time into lineage 2 after it came out. After that just a bunch of mmo that blend together.
  • Options
    XerayReaperXerayReaper Member
    edited August 2020
    Wow, really, now FFXI or FFXIV? I could understand FFXI probably not being on there, it seems hardly anyone I talked to ever played it, but FFXIV?? Anyways, I'm coming from FFXIV, though I've dabbled in Albion Online, WoW, Guild Wars 2, TERA, SWTOR, and Blade & Soul.

Though, to answer the question, first MMO ever, being Final Fantasy 11.
  • Options
    EverQuest was my first MMO. Very few people I meet seem to be familiar with it, but everyone assumes it is similar to WoW. Rather than describe it in terms of WoW, I refer to it as "the best chat room I've ever played." Because that's what it really was. You were there to meet and talk to people, and bond in the midst of shared struggle; leveling and such was just a distraction. My first time in I played a HE ENC on Brell Serilis. I must have hit level 16 two dozen times in Unrest. At later levels I lived in Velks. I was in college at the time, so a lot of the memories from that time blur together and end up a little hard to place. I can't remember the name of the guild I was in, or the names of many of my RL friends' characters, but I will never forget Klaana and Tishadh. Klaana, if you see this (and even if you don't), you have my sincerest condolences. I realize that is over a decade late, but it remains heartfelt to this day. I had left EQ for a while and later returned, starting anew on Luclin, where I played a HE PAL with the name I continue to use to this day. That lasted for a few months out of college, so I remember it better as it largely kept me going through an awful dead-end job, but sorting out the timeline in my head is a bit messy. It feels like I should remember it clearly, until I try to do so. I was primarily in House of Aegis, and I especially remember farming Sol Ro's tower trash with Mysterica.

https://eq.magelo.com/profile/272829

I can't believe that still exists. It feels inaccurate, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. Ultimately I made the decision to quit my job, but I felt that the appearance of continuing to play EQ after quitting would be horrible, so I made the decision to quit EQ as well. After a couple months of job searching with no luck I started dabbling in WoW. I found a much better job a few months later, but a condition of the job was to play Horde on... Burning Blade? Previously I had been alliance on Argent Dawn. I had never realized how much easier Horde had it, especially on a PVP server. But that is all a separate forum topic (several, actually).

I remember the sense of joy and wonder I felt when I took my first steps into GFay. I will never get that back, but I don't want to. It felt wonderful because I was naive, because I was venturing into the unknown, because my mind was trying to process too much at once. The true feeling of joy was the friends we made along the way. Or something like that. The joy was the time in velks when I called for everyone to retreat while I stalled the impending train from upper dogs, but nobody was willing to leave me behind. Rather than save themselves everyone stayed to fight (note there was no voice chat, so we were typing in the middle of a frantic combat). We won, with no losses as I recall. A lot of downtime, though. Another time when a raid was passing through and one of the members remembered me from back in Unrest. Also, the time that I got bored so I started pulling for my group as an enchanter, upsetting our cleric who refused to heal me if I was going to be so reckless. We kicked him for a DPS later as everyone agreed the healing was bad and my pulling had more than doubled the XP rate. Our druid didn't like healing, but would gladly do so for the XP I was bringing in (to say nothing of the named mobs I was snagging). Seeing these in group chat (different occasions): "AFK cat on fire" and "AFK need my gun". In the case of the latter, no sooner did our cleric leave to get his gun than a named mob spawned on top of us.

The actual combat and gameplay in EverQuest was bad, but that was all just background dressing for the true experience, which was interacting with people, and that was generally delightful.

Of course, that was all before I started playing WoW and learned to hate people.
  • Options
    LfmrLfmr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Where is Club Penguin?
  • Options
    KnytemaireKnytemaire Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Everquest was my first MMO as well, although I have played most on the list you have at some point. Everquest will always hold a special place in my heart because of the community and friends, adventures, and sense of wonder I experienced in that game. Good to see quite a few others had that experience as their first MMO as well.
    Lyriss-Sig-Test.png
    Lyriss L'Enescor - Empyrean Cleric of Gray Sentinels
  • Options
    Everquest, before expansions.
    It was difficult, but difficult games make the best communities.
  • Options
    Runescape, hopped to WoW in late 2007 as soon as I could because runescape membership seemed boring and clicking was dumb. Played WoW basically ever since, but started getting let down and taking long extended breaks ever since Cataclysm. The game is shit for anything that isn't high end (mythic/cutting edge) raiding.

Tried GW1, GW2, BDO, Archage, Lineage2, Aion, Rift, Tera, LOTRO, Neverwinter, and ESO. They all let me down in one way or another.
  • Options
    DaddySteveDaddySteve Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The list is missing Final Fantasy 11, but yeah got my start in Runescape in 2003.
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    @Fildydarie - nice story of your EQ time. Brought back a lot of memories reading all that. Unrest trains! They still haunt me to this day.
    And, yes, the first day in GFay. The wonder at seeing the tree city of Kelethin. The coming of age run from Kelethin to Qeynos. Bloody hell, Kithicor used to scare the crap out of me.

One of my favourite memories of EQ was the day myself and a group of friends, that called ourselves 'The Amigos', were adventuring in West Karana when we spied a group of GMs coming towards us. It turned out they were on their annual pilgrimage from Qeynos to Freeport and we joined them all the way there. By the time we reached Freeoort there were a good hundred people along for the ride.

That story is why Steven's announcement of GMs in Ashes fills me with such joy.

Hopefully Ashes equals the memories of EQ.
  • Options
    nidriks wrote: »
    Hopefully Ashes equals the memories of EQ.
    I wish the best for Ashes of Creation, but I also believe those special EQ moments will not be possible (or rather, will be different) due to the PvP/PK factor.

AoC will have its own special moments, for sure.
  • Options
    3am3am Member
    Runescape, all day every day. Would still love to see a modern version.
  • Options
    PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Love the feedback guys! Nice to see a lot of Old schoolers many more than I thought from Everquest and Ultima here are the results so far

https://www.strawpoll.me/20716375/r WoW leading the way but not by much.
  • Options
    Sandman wrote: »
    Love the feedback guys! Nice to see a lot of Old schoolers many more than I thought from Everquest and Ultima here are the results so far

https://www.strawpoll.me/20716375/r WoW leading the way but not by much.

Only 3 DAoCers :'(

Well this is admittedly about your first game and not what you've played because I would have to check off a couple more boxes (including WoW like everyone else)
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ya makes me sad about the DAoCers, but my first was Ultima Online so it's all good :)
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Asheron's Call. Got into the closed beta 21 years ago... I feel old now.
  • Options
    Eq2 was my first and played up to Velious. It was amazing. Unlocking griffon towers, running Varsoon and eventually getting epic weapon! Great memories.
  • Options
    DAoC then SWG, and I really feel like the team has captured the best aspects of both games in AoC.

DAoC had incredible inter-realm (PvP) conflict that lead to actual intra-realm consequences and access to nearly unkillable world bosses.

SWG had the most epic crafting and social experience and was, like one of the developers has noted, ahead of it's time.

If you combine those aspects with what makes a modern day MMO there is the potential for an incredibly deep player experience that will be hard to best if executed well.

I have never been one to really hype, but I just learned of this game yesterday and I'm beside myself with excitement. My family and I have played MMOs a lot over the years, but we've mostly fallen out after vanilla WoW. Now I'm moving overseas soon I hope ashes will be the game to rekindle that spark for my family and gives us a way to connect across the ocean. I would normally never consider preording a game but if it's the only way I can directly contribute to the project then I will make an exception here.