Corruption-less server option

DarktideDarktide Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
On Corruption. Have you given any consideration to a Chaos-style server or subset of servers that have no corruption feature enabled? I'm probably in the minority on this one, as in this day and age, with the type of gamers we have, a darktide server may not stand the test of time like it did back then. However, with the mechanics proposed, I can see some viability. Since guilds and alliances have more power to police the unfavorable elements than with a simple game like AC. I do like the concept of Corruption and think that for the general public, this is a good idea in theory. The more hard-core player-base (albeit much smaller) would enjoy a server with no such limitations. We like the extreme risk and the ability to police ourselves. It also lends to stronger and tighter guilds, where your allegiance really matters and the threat is constant not just from NPC's but from other players all the time.

Update: For anyone just joining the conversation. According to the wiki that LieutenantToast posted, there are going to be no server specific designs. This conversation shall continue debating the corruption system, but has changed focus from the original suggestion.

Comments

• I like this idear tbh, i think thes servers still should have the option to turn off pvp just to sometimes help ppl who seam in trouble, but a server without coruption sound really interesting "for me at least"

The benefits would be

- Rare materials will be even more Rare since its harder to bring them back to savety
    - Guilds will build even more groups to Farm stuff or secure areas
    - Mercanarys "Protect me while i farm for 1h i pay you 100gold"

- Politics would be even more interesting because you will have on sight lists where you dont wana be a name of.

- The adrenalin rush if you see another player with the knowing he could just attack you any moment without any penaltys

"Sorry for my english :("
  • I don't really like this idea at all. Even hardcore players will get tired of being constantly pked. Also, there is simply no reason to divide the community into hardcore and casual players and design servers for each specifically.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The sever would last a month at most
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • It's kind of funny. That's what they thought about Darktide. What started as a very harsh and very unfriendly environment that was overwhelmingly criticized, ended up being one of the highest standards of hard-core pvp servers and probably had one of the tightest-knit communities I have seen.
  • DarktideDarktide Member
    edited August 2020
    @CaptainChuck if you were around during the Darktide timeframe. You would probably understand better. It's not splitting the community, It's a suggestion/question aimed toward the devs. I know that a few of them played AC, and can probably understand where I'm coming from. Hardcore players don't get tired of it.

I think it would be a good test. They could easily enough turn off corruption on a server and offer it. See how it is received, I know we'll be there. And if the population isn't up to snuff, just wipe and re-provision the server.

I strongly believe that this game will be received by a huge audience, and catering to the hardcore pvp gamers opens it to an even broader audience.

Now, to go further down this conversation. It's not constant pvp. Friendships are developed, alliances are made (which are VERY important) and resources are much more valuable. The whole ecology of a pvp server is drastically different than that of a carebear server. While at the same time, the mechanics are ultimately identical minus one key element, corruption.

The most important element of a server like this is that you are held accountable for your actions. AFK miners get jacked, disrespect is met with violence. You are NEVER safe and the community isn't nearly as toxic as one that can hide behind a safe-zone or corruption shield.

I'll play the game as it's presented, I'm really excited for it to come out and literally can't wait. I would jump on a no-corruption server in a heartbeat. I would really be curious to do a poll, not to see who wouldn't join it, but to see what the server pop would look like based on the community that the game has currently.

Did you follow New World? When they announced that they were stripping the backbone of the pvp system and making it consensual, the community was in an uproar. Probably a 50/50 split on that topic alone. The fact that probably over half of the gaming community knows what Darktide is (um, over 20 years later), is a testament to just how influential that server was in the gaming genre.
  • @Flagg

So you're telling me that you have no issue if you're pked constantly, at low level, by a higher level player?
  • CaptnChuck wrote: »
    @Flagg

So you're telling me that you have no issue if you're pked constantly, at low level, by a higher level player?

Correct, I have absolutely NO issue with it, whatsoever. You pick yourself back up, go further from the starting area and get to work. You grow eyes behind your head and have audio turned up to hear footsteps, armor, spells.

Of course, noob griefing is usually limited to other noobs. It's pointless and there's nothing to gain from it. It's in your best interest to spend your time getting away from it and finding a home in a guild, where there's safety in numbers.
  • It's not about the initial experience, we all go through that spawn camping, etc. It's just a way of life. It's never easy to get started on these type of servers, but the sheer satisfaction of making it past the steep cost of entry is a badge to wear with honor, and proves you're worthy to play on a server like that.
  • And... it's a server, not the whole game. I'm asking if it will be an optional server choice. Denote it with a big red skull and crossbones or something. Push a disclaimer when someone tries to join it. Whatever you feel is necessary. People like options. No-one likes to be force-fed what the squeaky wheel wants.
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Korkone wrote: »
    I like this idear tbh, i think thes servers still should have the option to turn off pvp just to sometimes help ppl who seam in trouble, but a server without coruption sound really interesting "for me at least""

The moment they decide to turn off pvp is the moment the game dies out. Removing the corruption system completely.....giving people the ability to just camp low level players all day would be a massive mistake that would also lead to the game failing.
    edited August 2020
    @KHRONUS The point of this question was to see if there is going to be an optional server type or if they are considering a darktide-esque server. Not to turn off corruption completely. A HUGE portion of the gaming community would never go for it. The hardcore pvp player-base is probably 1/10 if not less of the population. Enough to warrant the consideration, but they will never and should never change their game design like New World did.

I don't understand why people are chiming in with such criticism about a different type of server. I'm not proposing a game change, but a server option for those of us that want a more realistic, dangerous, hostile environment, where your actions or lack thereof are actually meaningful and aren't shielded behind a mechanic and justice can be carried swiftly out by the population. The only other option would be to declare war on pretty much everyone. Which, sadly, does the exact same thing, in theory. I just like the idea of having a server with that freedom. I can choose to be friendly or aggressive toward you. And you should be cautious around me. Where there are direct consequences and where territory is extremely valuable.

You gotta put on your big-boy pants for this type of server. And just one optional server to "test the waters" will not fail the game. There will probably be 20 other wow-like servers for you to choose from.

Note: I don't like pvp flagging or turning on/off pvp on a given server. Never was a fan. You're either all-in or a carebear, imo. We had a server in AC that had a pvp flagging mechanism and it was one of the first to die.
  • CSPCSP Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It might work as a gimmick in the death throes of specific patch version until a major expansion comes out. Something like 300% XP, loot, drop, craft rate, node development etc. with highly reduced map sized/PvE content, full loot PK, and no safe-zones. It was stated a long while ago there will be two 10000 concurrent player servers at launch with possibly more. I don't see this sort of thing ever being the third kind of server until way after launch.
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Flagg Still a terrible idea though. Any idea that involves splitting up the community based on their style of play just doesn't make sense for long term goals? People chime in because they are passionate about what this game could be and so many people feel the need to chime in and suggest silly things.
  • HamousheHamoushe Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Why are people talking about it like it is definitely more hardcore if they remove penalties for pvp? there is nothing that stops you attacking everyone you see, if you want that playthrough you can do it. removing corruption would be a softcore option where you are trying to protect your gear and avoid bounty hunters. from the perspective of the pvper it is far more hardcore to do it on a normal server than this kind of consequence free server.
  • I really dont get how you all can hate on someones opinion with the Words "This is a stupid idear" "This will kill the game" its not like he asked about doing that on EVERY server... He asked if there will be 1 server out of 20 who has the perma pvp on... i personaly like that idear because i made more friends on servers like that because if you have someone you can really trust on such servers that means alot. You ppl should come out of your littl bubbel and understand that different ppl like different playstyles. So the option to have a server for ppl who like the danger of getting attacked every second is better for you than have us RED players on your server ganging up on you running around in a fixed 5 man group killing you all around the world without caring about consequenzes... because ppl who kill on sight are mostely groups who already trained to play together in sticky situations.

sorry my english sucks so sorry if it came out wrong :neutral:
  • @Hamoushe the reasoning is that you can be griefed by a non-pvp combatant just as easily. Forgive me for not having good examples, but I've seen this exploited time and time again when there is a penalty for killing someone.

I understand that this type of server isn't palatable to the general public now-a-days, and that's okay. I doubt it will be a thing, it's just a question/suggestion. There are some good arguments to be had on both sides of the argument. But since this is such a hot topic, I'm going to redact it and let @Korkone take the win on it.

Despite the language barrier (which wasn't too bad, btw) I did appreciate his response.
  • Hi there - while you can check out what our current philosophy around server types is in the helpful community-run wiki here, I'm going to go ahead and move this over to the General Discussion section as it appears to be more of a suggestion than a question :smiley:
    community_management.gif
  • LfmrLfmr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would totally love a corruptionless server, just so long as it's only one or two of them, keep in mind a server is only 6000-10000 players, and I can easily see 10000 players wanting a more hardcore experience.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Korkone wrote: »
    I really dont get how you all can hate on someones opinion with the Words "This is a stupid idear"
    In the context of Ashes, I wouldn’t call it “stupid” but it’s ridiculous. It’s an absolute waste of developer resources as well as going against the whole idea of how this game works.

Also it will never happen. Let’s ask for space ships that we can fly through space with a detailed flight simulator too, because that’s cool.

Hhak63P.png
  • JexzJexz Member
    I'd probably play on this server. The issue I see is if they offer this server. There will be even more out cry for a pve server. Let alone the bounty hunter system would have to be reworked for both servers so I really don't see this happening.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    The corruption system is too ingrained into the game to have a server without it.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • What I have to say about this is, why not? Sure have a server like that. BUT maybe after release and at a point where we know player populations are stable and we can afford to shave some players from other servers to support a new, niche one.

Same goes for RP servers
  • The corruption system is really making the griefers nervous lmao.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2020
    IS has stated there will not be different PvE (opt-in PvP) and PvP (Corruption system) servers, which is great. As far as I know, IS has never said anything about a corruption-less server, or in other words, a server where PKing has no punishment - or at least no penalties enforced by in-game systems.

I really enjoy Deadman Mode in OSRS, and although it has lots of issues mainly due to poor design of the game, I would like to play something similar in AoC.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Lfmr wrote: »
    I would totally love a corruptionless server, just so long as it's only one or two of them, keep in mind a server is only 6000-10000 players, and I can easily see 10000 players wanting a more hardcore experience.

Only one. Part of the allure of Darktide was that it was one-of-a-kind. At times it could have a higher concentration of players than other servers and did have issues because of it, but generally it was the less populated server in the long-run. (still quite a population, but under the max) It lasted as long as any of the carebear servers, and in many cases longer.
    edited August 2020
    Jexz wrote: »
    I'd probably play on this server. The issue I see is if they offer this server. There will be even more out cry for a pve server. Let alone the bounty hunter system would have to be reworked for both servers so I really don't see this happening.

Good point. I didn't think about that, but it's very true, people would beg for a pvp-less server option, and that's a whole can of worms... Not insurmountable, however. It would be just as easy to turn off pvp as it would to turn off or lock corruption to a set value.

I would actually prefer that instead of a corruption-less server (which would be fun) no weakness penalty for corruption. The option to set nodes to corrupt mode, making them havens for corrupt people, a KOS list for nodes just like guilds, so that mayors have that ability, I could sleep on this and come up with a good 20 more options better than a corruption less server...

The concept of being notorious and evil-looking is very appealing. The whole dark aura and glowing eyes... It really stuck in my head. Constantly hunted by bounty hunters. Having a guild node that you can still enjoy the game and call home.

What it boils down to is this... Steve supposedly said that or someone inferred that 1-2 kills was nothing, around 20 makes you ineffective. This is not fun. It does not promote pvp. It encourages anger moments and fits of rage against a player.

How about a reverse-KOS toggle. Where you choose who is NOT KoS.. :)

People treat my idea like it's splitting the community. Trust me, do you really want someone like me on your server? I will find ways to abuse the system and kill you out of spite... just .. because I can. It's fun, especially when the enemy is one of those entitled whiners. Just fuels the fire.

On the flip side of that, some of the best pvp i've had was guild wars with a rival guild that I was good friends with.. Does this make any sense? Probably not to most of the emo kiddies.
  • @Jahlon Another example of someone who has no knowledge of game design. It's not entrenched as much as you make it out to be. A simple toggle that disables corruption gain and boom, you have a corruption less server. Wait, just lock the database field.

And I have a better idea than that, which would appeal to many likely.. A reverse-corruption server. Start out corrupted and have to work to become good. This disables weakness as well as the BH system and starts everyone at max corruption.

If the game relies on corruption, then it's not a good idea. You do not design a game to hinge on a pvp metric like this. It's one of those, this is cool, aspects. Because if everything is tied to it, bad things would happen if (god forbid) someone figured out how to exploit the system. *Cough, Bounty-hunters*
    edited August 2020
    I can come up with ideas like this all day long on every system they've come up with. That's my RL job, i poke holes and find alternative ways to do things (outside the box).

What saddens me is that I come up with (what I thought was) a cool idea from a pvp standpoint. Being that I feel the system discourages whole-sale pvp other than the pvp they dictate... And people that it would not even affect chime in on how bad of an idea it is, or how it would split the servers. Um you couldn't last 10 minutes on a real pvp server without your meds.

And this toxic attitude is why Amazon folded in pvp on New World. They listened to the squeaky wheel. THEIR pvp was too entrenched to offer an optional server and this change required a huge re-write, which upset a large portion of their community and pushed their release day by more than a year.
  • Let me fairly state, that no matter how this game comes out or if they have a pvp server offering. I'll still play it. It's AMAZING looking and sounding. I'm not "Demanding" a pvp server in the way you're telling me that I'm stupid for asking for the option. I want this game however they'll give it to me, right!!!

If you can't bring the server to darktide, bring darktide to the server:
    Darktide (the guild) https://discord.gg/x8kfFSy
    edited August 2020
    Hi there - while you can check out what our current philosophy around server types is in the helpful community-run wiki here, I'm going to go ahead and move this over to the General Discussion section as it appears to be more of a suggestion than a question :smiley:

Dayam, I totally missed your comment. TY for the link, kind sir, or maam!