Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Edit: Payment models, P2W concept and a proposal (Topic exhausted - Please Do not reply)

Comments

• Options
    NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Aeri wrote: »
    I'm still wondering what hes going to do if I get an exclusive rock of my own.

How will he live with the pay to win of my cosmetic rock pixels

At this point, if you get your rock, I would gladly pay a bit of money to get my own, slightly different, exclusive rock. :|

Intrepid should start a cosmetic shop built on slightly different exclusive textured small rocks.

Elder Soul will lose it
  • Options
    AeriAeri Member, Settler, Kickstarter

At this point, if you get your rock, I would gladly pay a bit of money to get my own, slightly different, exclusive rock. :|

Intrepid should start a cosmetic shop built on slightly different exclusive textured small rocks.

Elder Soul will lose it

As long as you can only buy one exclusive rock! Can't let it become too pay-2-win by letting people have rock collections!
  • Options

Elder Soul will lose it

As long as you can only buy one exclusive rock! Can't let it become too pay-2-win by letting people have rock collections!

Oh man you're right. I should have been more considerate.

My rock will definitely beat everyone elses cosmetic rock.
  • Options

Elder Soul will lose it

I totally agree!

Just imagining the possibility of missing one of those little rocks for being P2W would be even more frustrating. :(
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options

Elder Soul will lose it

HAHAH man if you jump into GW2 there are such collections! Like the mini griffon with various colored griffos, and skyscale dragons, and so on and on. Collections based on differently colored things. I hated it but then I was like "bruh those are just pixels". I hope AOC doesn't do these things but I no longer care as much as I once did. o:)
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options
    Valento92 wrote: »

Elder Soul will lose it

HAHAH man if you jump into GW2 there are such collections! Like the mini griffon with various colored griffos, and skyscale dragons, and so on and on. Collections based on differently colored things. I hated it but then I was like "bruh those are just pixels". I hope AOC doesn't do these things but I no longer care as much as I once did. o:)

Now if I'm confused, isn't the entire game display just pixels?

Does this mean that MMORPGs could be calculation processors without a graphical interface and everyone would continue to enjoy the same way and even make great financial support to achieve their successful development?
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    Elder Soul wrote: »

Elder Soul will lose it

I totally agree!

Just imagining the possibility of missing one of those little rocks for being P2W would be even more frustrating. :(

You must catch them all @Elder Soul and save us from the P2W of the mmo's by the being the best rock catcher there ever was. To catch them all is your real test

Go forth and save us all
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The game was sold on a cash store why are you surprised?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

Elder Soul will lose it

I totally agree!

You must catch them all @Elder Soul and save us from the P2W of the mmo's by the being the best rock catcher there ever was. To catch them all is your real test

Go forth and save us all

But for me to be able to collect them through in-game merit, they shouldn't be paid exclusive ...

It would be great to be able to do that, as long as they are not used as a form of P2W in the in-game store.
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options

Elder Soul will lose it

Does this mean that MMORPGs could be calculation processors without a graphical interface and everyone would continue to enjoy the same way and even make great financial support to achieve their successful development?

As I said, I don't care anymore regardless if they do something like that or not.

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options

Elder Soul will lose it

I totally agree!

Go forth and save us all

But for me to be able to collect them through in-game merit, they shouldn't be paid exclusive ...

It would be great to be able to do that, as long as they are not used as a form of P2W in the in-game store.

Well now its a rock and there seems to be high demand for rocks, I guess you'll just have to be ok that sometimes life isnt fair, and that early birds do in fact get the worm.

But dont worry my rock cant hurt you in this game, so you're all safe from my rock pay to winning against you :)

There wont even be a leaderboard, reward, score or anything else associated with my rock :0

Its almost like it has nothing to do with the game except being a texture of all the other rocks
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    @Elder Soul
    Ah, so in your opinion purchasing cosmetics from the Cash Shop while not having it freely included in a higher-value subscription fee is considered Pay To Win?

I don't see it as an advantage, though. Purchasing cosmetics doesn't enhance my character in any way that gives me an advantage over other people who do not buy such cosmetic stuff.
    Nobody does. That’s the point. That’s why this whole thread is silly.

If this thread just boiled down to, “I don’t like micro transactions of any kind and along with a subscription model it seems greedy,” I would accept that. I disagree but that’s okay, we can have different opinions. Intrepid has been up front about the idea that they have a store for cosmetics in part so that there is no box cost (either initial or for future expansions) and I like that. Others don’t and that’s fine.

But the idea here is, “I personally define winning as what cosmetics I have so Intrepid isn’t living up to its no P2W pledge because of their store.” That’s bonkers.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »

Old School:

One payment = One game.

One game = All content available.

Subscription = online service among others.

Everyone pays the same = Everyone has access to the same.

Actually:

No payment = One game.

One game = Part of the content available.

Store = fractions of content at the price of a game or more

Everyone pays what they can = everyone has access to what they pay
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options

Old School:

One payment = One game.

Actually:

No payment = One game.

must be nice in that dream world
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

Elder Soul will lose it

As I said, I don't care anymore regardless if they do something like that or not.

So would you play AOC if it was a screenless interface?

I ask since the pixels seem to have no relevance in your gaming experience.
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options

Old School:

One payment = One game.

Actually:

No payment = One game.

Just out of curiosity, which part would be a dream?
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Atama wrote: »
    @Elder Soul
    Ah, so in your opinion purchasing cosmetics from the Cash Shop while not having it freely included in a higher-value subscription fee is considered Pay To Win?

I don't see it as an advantage, though. Purchasing cosmetics doesn't enhance my character in any way that gives me an advantage over other people who do not buy such cosmetic stuff.

If this thread just boiled down to, “I don’t like micro transactions of any kind and along with a subscription model it seems greedy,” I would accept that. I disagree but that’s okay, we can have different opinions. Intrepid has been up front about the idea that they have a store for cosmetics in part so that there is no box costs (either initial or for future expansions) and I like that. Others don’t and that’s fine.

But the idea here is, “I personally define winning as what cosmetics I have so Intrepid isn’t living up to its no P2W pledge because of their store.” That’s bonkers.

Thats what I said too

If he had made the argument "The game may be pay to look good" and we discussed what was being sold as cosmetics vs what was was available in game and if what big of difference there may or may not be. Then fine, thats a fair and valid concern.

But he so verly clearly dressed this up as a click bait to say P2W so that he could attempt to twist what pay to wins definition is (vainly because it looks like most everyone here is far to smart to fall for that) to try pushing his own personal agenda.

This is not about pay to win. Its him trying to say p2w to get a rise out of players tbh
  • Options
    They literally offered exclusive cosmetics is Kickstarter. The “buy an outfit you can’t earn in game” idea was there from the very beginning. You can’t fix this @Elder Soul, the game was built on it. They can’t start offering those exclusives to others without being guilty of fraud, that’s fact.

Since the game can never be what you want, are you going to begrudgingly accept it or is this not the game for you?

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

Old School:

One payment = One game.

Actually:

No payment = One game.

The part where you blank out everyone and only see what you want to see
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    @Elder Soul I will not reply to this thread anymore as you've taken specific things that I posted completely out of context. You won't be able to collect everything if you don't purchase cosmetics from the Cash Shop as the game will have it anyways, it's that simple. Still, I hope you find the game enjoyable once it launches.

Best of luck.

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options
    @Elder Soul

If this thread just boiled down to, “I don’t like micro transactions of any kind and along with a subscription model it seems greedy,” I would accept that. I disagree but that’s okay, we can have different opinions. Intrepid has been up front about the idea that they have a store for cosmetics in part so that there is no box costs (either initial or for future expansions) and I like that. Others don’t and that’s fine.

Thats what I said too

If he had made the argument "The game may be pay to look good" and we discussed what was being sold as cosmetics vs what was was available in game and if what big difference. The fine, thats a fair and valid concern.

But he so verly clearly dressed this up as a click bait to say P2W so that he could attempt to twist what pay to wins definition is (vainly because it looks like most everyone here is far to smart to fall for that) to try pushing his own personal agenda.

This is not about pay to win. Its him trying to say p2w to get a rise out of players tbh

But if looking good is my goal in the game, my way of winning and you accept that "paying to look good" is acceptable then we are talking about the same thing.

P2W.

Getting cosmetic items was always a part of video games, even collecting them.

That they are currently being demoted to something superfluous for financial purposes does not imply that they are no longer a fundamental part of the gaming experience and end goal for some players.
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options

Old School:

One payment = One game.

Actually:

No payment = One game.

No, on the contrary.

On repeated occasions, make it clear that I understand you and respect your positions.

That I do not share your vision is something else, I would never have the audacity and lack of respect to suggest that his way of seeing things is something fictitious or unreal, it would be very rude on my part, a clear demonstration of lack of education.
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    @Elder Soul I will not reply to this thread anymore as you've taken specific things that I posted completely out of context. You won't be able to collect everything if you don't purchase cosmetics from the Cash Shop as the game will have it anyways, it's that simple. Still, I hope you find the game enjoyable once it launches.

Best of luck.

Thanks friend, let's hope so.
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Old School:

One payment = One game.

Actually:

No payment = One game.

You see the same thing in politics today to.
    @Elder Soul

Thats what I said too

If he had made the argument "The game may be pay to look good" and we discussed what was being sold as cosmetics vs what was was available in game and if what big difference. The fine, thats a fair and valid concern.

But if looking good is my goal in the game, my way of winning and you accept that "paying to look good" is acceptable then we are talking about the same thing.

P2W.

That they are currently being demoted to something superfluous for financial purposes does not imply that they are no longer a fundamental part of the gaming experience and end goal for some players.

If looking good is your goal thats your perogative. But the point remains is that your personal definition doesnt change the reality of what pay to win actually is.

If AoC has a beauty pageant with rankings, leaderboards, rewards and everything else in the game though I will eat those words and send you hand written apology.

But you're making this up and using pay to win to use as your form of disagreement with a cash shop in the game for cosmetics. And its not only dishonest, it is misleading and intentionally being microaggresive.

That's not pay to win though. Its just a difference from older games.

Older games were also alot less complex and alot less resource costing than in todays world and some gimmicky cosmetics is a small price for quality continued games.

Also you're acting as is there wont already be in game achievable cosmetics and rewards

We know there will be already so this thread is already self redundant
  • Options

Old School:

One payment = One game.

Actually:

No payment = One game.

@Elder Soul

Thats what I said too

P2W.

If looking good is your goal thats your perogative. But the point remains is that your personal definition doesnt change the reality of what pay to win actually is.

If AoC has a beauty pageant with rankings, leaderboards, rewards and everything else in the game though I will eat those words and send you hand written apology.

But you're making this up and using pay to win to use as your form of disagreement with a cash shop in the game for cosmetics. And its not only dishonest, it is misleading and intentionally being microaggresive.

Older games were also alot less complex and alot less resource costing than in todays world and some gimmicky cosmetics is a small price for quality continued games.

Also you're acting as is there wont already be in game achievable cosmetics and rewards

¨If looking good is your goal thats your perogative¨

It is something that the game offers internally as a reward.

Cosmetics as rewards exist by design, not by prerogative.

The cosmetics have one purpose, to improve the appearance of the character (mount, pet, house, etc) also something created by design in the game.

Cosmetics can be collected, they allow to play a role, customize the appearance of the character, mounts, pets, adapt to the setting of an environment, they are quantifiable since they can be listed by their quantity, variety type, everything thought from the design of the game to be enjoyed by users and are offered within the game as rewards, achievements, success in completing objectives.

If part of these cosmetics are obtained outside of the game, but can be used within the game they interfere with the mechanics of cosmetics vs. in-game rewards, objectives or success to achieve full customization.

And if those cosmetic objects are paid, P2W.
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    I just don't get how cosmetic items are pay to win? since Kickstarter they have sold items does that make the whole game pay to win?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    I just don't get how cosmetic items are pay to win? since Kickstarter they have sold items does that make the whole game pay to win?
    Well, obviously.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

Old School:

One payment = One game.

Actually:

No payment = One game.

@Elder Soul

Thats what I said too

P2W.

¨If looking good is your goal thats your perogative¨

It is something that the game offers internally as a reward.

Cosmetics as rewards exist by design, not by prerogative.

The cosmetics have one purpose, to improve the appearance of the character (mount, pet, house, etc) also something created by design in the game.

Cosmetics can be collected, they allow to play a role, customize the appearance of the character, mounts, pets, adapt to the setting of an environment, they are quantifiable since they can be listed by their quantity, variety type, everything thought from the design of the game to be enjoyed by users and are offered within the game as rewards, achievements, success in completing objectives.

If part of these cosmetics are obtained outside of the game, but can be used within the game they interfere with the mechanics of cosmetics vs. in-game rewards, objectives or success to achieve full customization.

And if those cosmetic objects are paid, P2W.

Cosmetics looking good is in the eyes of the beholder.

Its entirely subjective.

This isnt a pageant where the game gives you a reward for looking a certain way, or leaderboards, or anything else.

All cosmetics do is change what pixel textures are on whatever character you are on.

This isnt about pay to win. This is a question about a concern that you PERSONALLY have about looking good. Which cannot be defined because everyone has different tastes

The definition of "win" has to have a correlating ingame function within the mmo via a ranking or PvE/pve item that gives you an advantage to progress further than someone who does not use the cash shop at all.

Example. If I create my own costume and I prefer it over having the other ingame cash shop costume its entirely subjective on that persons point of view but it doesnt have an ingame effect on any leaderboard, rank, item, or game function.

I might think everything you put on is ugly compared to my level 1 armor base game crafted. It doesnt change anything within the game.

This is why it objectively cannot be pay to win
  • Options

Not at this moment, the moment those cosmetics begin to enter the game, for those who set their goal to collect cosmetics, yes.
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    Stop the smoke and mirrors and just make a legitimate thread about the cash shop, and the correlating in game cosmetics.

At least then this wouldnt be such a ridiculous conversation.

My rock squishy will forever never be yours