Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I don't want to press "E" & my crafting concerns

In the most recent dev update we got a preview of gathering resources such as herbs & cutting trees down. We've also seen fishing. I'm sorry to say, I wasn't very impressed. For one, I don't like that you have to press the E key in order to gather instead of clicking on the tree, herb, rock, fishing spawn, etc. Also, I'm concerned at the lack of progression shown to us in terms of crafting/processing/gathering. I'd like to see more revealed in future streams. Is anyone else concerned about the artisan classes?

I know that we haven't even seen Alpha 1 and that there is a lot of iteration to come from agile sprints, but I'm a little worried.

Am I alone in this?
I was born in the Pyrian royal family of Eradal.

https://Twitch.tv/Eradal
https://Twitter.com/Eradal_

OC9k.gif

Comments

• Options
    nykznykz Member
    I'm really with you on that "E" thing and would also rather just click the tree/ressource. But since its pre-alpha, a lot can, and most likely will change.

Since I'm not a huge crafter (yet?) I'm not too concerned on the amount of content shown to us but I hope for you and all other crafters out there for crafting content to come.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Eradal wrote: »
    Is anyone else concerned about the artisan classes?
    There is - realistically - more than two years to go until launch (probably more than three).

It is far too early to be worried about what we have and have not seen.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't want it on anything other than click period. At some point in the last 10 years MMOs forgot that keybindings are a very important and personal thing. Half of these games try to put shit around WASD that could be on just clicked on. This is a crime because that is where I put my OGCD cooldowns, Pots, Food, and other non-dps skills. If I have to waste keys on something that could have been solved by being close enough to something to click on it. To me that is bad UI design.

I will say that I agree with @noaani that it is too soon to tell if this is going to be a problem.

Trust me, It will take me all of 10 minutes in the game before I start complaining about the UI/Keybinding situation if I notice something is awful.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Change the key to Q instead. Problem solved ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    Change the key to Q instead. Problem solved ^^

5Head here XDDD
  • Options
    LeroherLeroher Member
    edited August 2020
    In the most recent dev update we got a preview of gathering resources such as herbs & cutting trees down. We've also seen fishing. I'm sorry to say, I wasn't very impressed. For one, I don't like that you have to press the E key in order to gather instead of clicking on the tree, herb, rock, fishing spawn, etc. Also, I'm concerned at the lack of progression shown to us in terms of crafting/processing/gathering. I'd like to see more revealed in future streams. Is anyone else concerned about the artisan classes?

I know that we haven't even seen Alpha 1 and that there is a lot of iteration to come from agile sprints, but I'm a little worried.

Am I alone in this?

I made a post almost a week ago about something similar, but it was more about artisan professions than the press "E" thing. I asked if playing the game only to do (e.g.) ship building or something similar could be possible because of the system of it. Like, I focus ship building because I enjoy it as much as the rest of the people enjoy PvP (or almost). But I understand that asking for that is like asking for a profession game within an MMO, and can't be that good. But I would love that, also making these professions as hard to master as lvl up to 50 or even more, which looks like true in this game (but maybe in a smaller scale). I don't have that much of a concern in the press E thing tho.

Edit: spelling error
  • Options
    Yeah most of the time keybinds are hard to fit near the WASD. Not like I'm gonna put it on L or something.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    I like the no E thing, I prefer to click.

wiki says a lot about artisan clases and crafting, i think they are doing a good job, and I want to be a chef with a tavern so i hope they make it cool.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    For gathering - I hope it's a click and not a button pressing. Keep it like ARK - I gotta walk up to it and start smacking it.

As for crafting - I hope it's not like ARK and other MMO - you press the item and it auto crafts. I want some GM/Durability and time involved in crafting.

Turn it into a mini game - Let's say Weapon and Armor - you will have a meter with red/orange/yellow/green/purple.
    So in this meter there is a moving Arrow and you need to land on Green or Purple (purple represent 100% perfect).
    The width is dependent on the material and skill level. The more perfects you landed on that particular item, the purple width slowly begins to widen.

This will in turn make REPUTATION matter in game. Who is the best crafter in-game? The server will learn of player's crafting abilitiy / durability - enchanting efficiencies, etc etc but for the crafters - make them work for it. Add little mini games like that.

For Enchanters - It may be a pulsing and they are trying to land on green or purple for the best outcome.

For Cooks - A series of Sliders that controls heat ----

actually - let me do one better - YOUTUBE the game "Among Us" --- you can do some of those type of mini game tasks and apply it to crafting - just add a little skill base to it, so it's meaningful for the crafter and it has a reward outcome to it.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    FisherFisher Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    noaani wrote: »
    Is anyone else concerned about the artisan classes?
    There is - realistically - more than two years to go until launch (probably more than three).

It is far too early to be worried about what we have and have not seen.
    Disagree. The sooner you express your concern about these systems, the sooner they can be changed. If you wait too long to provide feedback, the system you dislike WILL go live, and then the devs will simply say "no one gave us any negative feedback on these systems, and now it's too late."

That said, if the key to gather a resource can be changed to whatever key you like, including a mouse button, then I don't see the issue.
  • Options
    ZhabZhab Member
    edited August 2020
    Fisher wrote: »
    Disagree. The sooner you express your concern about these systems, the sooner they can be changed. If you wait too long to provide feedback, the system you dislike WILL go live, and then the devs will simply say "no one gave us any negative feedback on these systems, and now it's too late."
    While I agree in principle we barely know anything at this point. I get the feeling that the specific roster of profession isn't even finalized yet. At the very least, the wiki is terribly incomplete on the matter.

Hopefully alpha 1 and perhaps early alpha 2 wont be to late ?
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Personally speaking, I wouldn't mind something even more demanding, such as having to "chop". Left mouse for swing, right mouse for swing back, or something.

Maybe gathering is not the thing to do that for.

Just soemthing more interesting than hitting a button. Whether it is left mouse button or a keyboard key, I really don't see the difference. If you have the right mouse you could bind E to your mouse anyway.
  • Options
    I have no problem with pressing the E button. I have in every other MMO when gathering? I'm really not sure what the big deal with it is!
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think making mini-games and interactive stuff is cool, for the first 5.000 trees and ores you gather, after that, I feel like I will just want to press my E key and move one to something else, I really don't think the gathering mini-games will be enjoyable content after you do it for hundreds of hours
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    on gathering - just clicking is enough. ON CRAFTING - some type of mini game where the outcome will dictate the durability, stats, %, etc will have an influence.

Hell, if you land a perfect on that mini-game, that item will have a flavor - perfectly crafted by so and so.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    I don't mind gather/interact being a keypress, as long as it is rebindable.

GW2 has the same system where gather/interact/whathaveyou is the F key.

The F key is one of the keys I use for standard keybinds. So I remapped interact to the Z key. Problem solved.

Considering this game is looking at having anywhere from 10-30 skills at a time, I'll need QERFCV all free for keybinds along with shift/ctrl modifiers.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Please make it E, or some other keybind. I don’t want to start gathering a tree because the game thought I clicked on it when I’m navigating around. I’ve dealt with that kind of a pain in the ass in too many games. This isn’t a console game, we have lots of keys, let’s not act like this is being played on a tablet where we’re forced to “tap to move” and the like.

Or even better... And this might seem radical... Make it an option you can change in the settings like countless other MMOs have already done. It’s not like you’d be a pioneer in this. Many games give you choices, let Ashes be another one.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Scifi wrote: »
    I have no problem with pressing the E button. I have in every other MMO when gathering? I'm really not sure what the big deal with it is!

I've never pressed a keybind to start gathering in an MMO, or even a survival game, it's always been done with the mouse. A key like E is prime hotkey real estate I expect I'll want to use for strafe or abilities/cooldowns/consumables. It's not PUBG where I'm pressing E/F to open doors and loot items.
  • Options
    I might be in the minority, but anyway: I would prefer to gather materials with a single keyboard press, if that's not possible then a single click (like RuneScape) and, from someone with over a thousand hours played in Rust, I pray to God they won't follow the Rust or ARK gathering mechanic.

However, I agree "E" is not a great choice, as I usually use it for skills so I hope you're able to bind it to any key, including mouse buttons.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree, both mouse and keybind should work
  • Options
    Allow custom keybinds and it shouldn’t be too much of an issue
  • Options
    Custom keybinds will probably be a thing and also - its a tab action type of thing so clicking is tied to skills.... All types of these games have an "interact" button instead of mouse cursor features.

Also. Who's to say there wont be mouse-over features when u zoom out to click to move/mouse abilities? Too soon to tell and lots of room to wiggle.
  • Options
    ScifiScifi Member
    edited August 2020
    disregard this
  • Options
    burl3yb0y wrote: »
    Scifi wrote: »

I've never pressed a keybind to start gathering in an MMO, or even a survival game, it's always been done with the mouse. A key like E is prime hotkey real estate I expect I'll want to use for strafe or abilities/cooldowns/consumables. It's not PUBG where I'm pressing E/F to open doors and loot items.

Say what? You must have not played many games then. If this hasn't been the case.... then what is the purpose of this thread?
  • Options
    Taten wrote: »
    Custom keybinds will probably be a thing and also - its a tab action type of thing so clicking is tied to skills.... All types of these games have an "interact" button instead of mouse cursor features.

WoW certainly doesnt. The first time i encountered an 'interact' button was Tera, and I never much liked it since. It always feels bad when I have to do a little dance in front of a flower before the prompt finally shows up. Hate that dance.

That button really only made sense to me in games that either use the mouse for something else, or are built primarily with controllers in mind.
  • Options
    VioVio Member
    I can tell I'd probably be in the minority when it comes to this, but I like the idea of pressing a button over a mouse click.

I also like the idea of having gathering take a small bit of effort. If everything were made easier then you'd end up right back at world of warcraft in design. WoW aims to be the lowest common denominator of effort and efficiency. The resources are sought after and should be contested as such, and should be some risk vs reward element in everything done.
  • Options
    To be honest I’d like to use mouse clicks as little as possible (the 1-12 buttons on it are enough as-is), which is why I’m hoping they make good on the promises of customizations for UI and keybinds.
  • Options
    awqawq Member
    edited August 2020
    Doesn't it normally work with both?
    lmb = targeting > allowing for use of activate hotkey ("E" or "F" w/e), same thing as how it usually is with npcs
    While rmb = target and attack/gather/talk
  • Options
    LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited August 2020
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    At some point in the last 10 years MMOs forgot that keybindings are a very important and personal thing. Half of these games try to put shit around WASD that could be on just clicked on. This is a crime because that is where I put my OGCD cooldowns, Pots, Food, and other non-dps skills. If I have to waste keys on something that could have been solved by being close enough to something to click on it.

100% this. Keybinding is so important and I already use a lot of keys around WASD along with Numpad/regular number keys. If the game makes me waste valuable keybind space it's going to be a problem. There's nothing wrong with using mouse clicks for things that aren't combat-related, or letting me change it to F or something for certain interactions.
  • Options
    Q E R F C X Y
    These are all keys needed for pots, food and abilitys.

So im all in on the Left Mouse butten to gather Craft.
    They just have to make sure that you cant gather and craft in combat.
    So that stuff like an enemy standing next to a tree and you start gathering rather then attacking doesnt happen.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif