Will the Prismatic Beam be Overpowered?

Hello,
As my thoughts wandered around the classes, abilities, and combinations in a group. I thought especially about the ability Prismatic Beam.

Prismatic Beam is a Mage ability that channels a beam attack towards a target and does more damage the longer the ability is hold down.
Jeffrey Bard stated that this ability is a high damage high-risk ability. (It's a really high damage, high risk, high reward kind of ability. -Jeffrey Bard)
So I assume that the high risk in this ability exists in the use of Mana.
So in practice, you will use this ability, the damage will rise over time, and your mana sinks so you could end with no mana. Sounds balanced.
But what will happen if u are in a group of mages?

Another ability of the Mage class is Gift of the Magi, Gift of the Magi Grants a potion of the Mage's mana to a friendly character.

So a scenario in my head is an 8 man group in a dungeon. The setup is one Tank, one Clerik as Healer, and Six Mages.
The Tank pulls the agro the cleric heals and now the interesting part. One Mage uses the Prismatic Beam while the other Five use Gift of the Magi to keep the Mana of the First mage Up.

But what will happen now? I thought about Three ways this could end.

The Op way:
Now the Prismatic Beam scales up and up and up, the damage rises nearly infinite, the mana as well and the boss gets absolutely evaporated.

The Balanced Way:
The Damage rises makes good damage but not to much damage and the Mana will end. The use of Six mages for one attack is in balance.

The Weak way:
The damage rises but the mana will get to fast to an end or the DPS is not as high as it would be from 6 mages normally.
So this tactic would be ineffective.

Of course this tactic will need very good teamwork and a bit of practice but I am not sure about the balance between cost and reward.

When this tactic is balanced I think it would fit very good in the Game but otherwise, if the Op way would occur it would brake the complete game in my opinion.

In Pvp, it would be strong but counter bell.
But with the raid or dungeon system where the reward and difficulty are based on the time to take down the previous Boss (as far as I understood) it could brake the Pvp, economy, and everything in connection with it.

Maybe I overlooked something important or something like that but I thought it would be an important thing to tell.

What is your opinion about that? let me know and have a great day. ;D
Greetings, @Abraxes

(I am sorry for eventual occurring bad grammar or layout. I hope it is still readable)

Comments

• The risk part is not the mana loss, but the root state in which you are while doing that.

A mage busy with a giant lazer beam is a piece of cake for dps, is like a cat watching a mouse playing with the TV.
  • We know next to nothing about the ability so nobody in this forum will have any idea about how powerful or weak this ability will be or whether or not it will even make it into the final game. The high-risk high-reward part is probably referring to the fact that in order to cast the ability it appears you have to be motionless and channeling throughout the entire duration. Even in the situation you described as the "OP way" the ability could easily be weak compared to other skills if the base damage or ramp-up speed are too low so there is really no way to even guess at this point.
  • TyrantorTyrantor Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes it's OP lets all play mages.
    Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    (Yes same Tyrantor from Shadowbane)
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    After coming from a game so stamina and melee focused (eso) I'll actually enjoy a game that rewards mages for being good combat fighters lol

On a serious note, I think it's to early until we get to at least beta testing when the full combat system gets its polishing and fine-tuning
  • CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    Leroher wrote: »
    The risk part is not the mana loss, but the root state in which you are while doing that.

A mage busy with a giant lazer beam is a piece of cake for dps, is like a cat watching a mouse playing with the TV.

I do hope that they don't use "being rooted" as a primary way to balance abilities though. That would make mages super static to play. But hey, we don't know much yet so we have to wait and see.
  • CaptnChuck wrote: »
    The risk part is not the mana loss, but the root state in which you are while doing that.

I do hope that they don't use "being rooted" as a primary way to balance abilities though. That would make mages super static to play. But hey, we don't know much yet so we have to wait and see.

Yea, my GW2 thread has been going pretty in depth about this, and it seems the majority of people agree with yours and my opinion, but there is a portion of the population that finds mobile combat inferior for some reason.

I don't think it will be that way, but it is with the Prismatic Beam. I don't know if it's exactly a "rooted state" or something, but surely you will be pinned to the place in this case. If not, you would be chanelling a giant death beam while running with it like a flamethrower.
  • Dreoh wrote: »
    CaptnChuck wrote: »

Yea, my GW2 thread has been going pretty in depth about this, and it seems the majority of people agree with yours and my opinion, but there is a portion of the population that finds mobile combat inferior for some reason.

I made a post about it as well, but I was super critical I guess.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/45454/combat-skill-animations-july-dev-update
  • Leroher wrote: »

I don't think it will be that way, but it is with the Prismatic Beam. I don't know if it's exactly a "rooted state" or something, but surely you will be pinned to the place in this case. If not, you would be chanelling a giant death beam while running with it like a flamethrower.

If its kind of like a continuous laser, then I'm absolutely ok with it rooting you in place. But if its an instant cast beam, then I'd prefer if it slowed you instead of rooting you in place.

If its kind of like a continuous laser, then I'm absolutely ok with it rooting you in place. But if its an instant cast beam, then I'd prefer if it slowed you instead of rooting you in place.

It's a continuous laser, Steven talked about it in the streaming with Summit and Shroud (if I remember it correctly). And said that, risk/reward because of the high damage but root state.

Talking in LoL terms, it's not Lux's ultimate, it's Vel'Koz's. But I don't remember if you could move it left and right after casting it.
  • Leroher wrote: »

It's a continuous laser, Steven talked about it in the streaming with Summit and Shroud (if I remember it correctly). And said that, risk/reward because of the high damage but root state.

Talking in LoL terms, it's not Lux's ultimate, it's Vel'Koz's. But I don't remember if you could move it left and right after casting it.

Oh nice. Then thats absolutely ok. What do you think of the fireball animation though? Don't you think that 2s animation lock for a tab target ability is too long?
  • The Prismatic Beam is probably going to play similar to the 'Ray of Frost' ability in Diablo 3. You will have to stand still to use the ability but you can move the beam left or right as you wish. Once you begin to move your character, the channeling will cease.

I don't think the Prismatic Beam will be overpowered at all.. just another cool ability to add to your arsenal.

latest?cb=20150423094842

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wkrE4f8jas
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would think that the high risk factor comes from the fact that you wont be able to move while doing so^^

(We also dont know it the mana required would increase over time)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • LeroherLeroher Member
    edited August 2020

Oh nice. Then thats absolutely ok. What do you think of the fireball animation though? Don't you think that 2s animation lock for a tab target ability is too long?

Humm, I didn't see the fireball yet, I'll answer you in a minute, but yeah, 2 seconds might be too much unless it is some mini pyroblast xD.

(Edit: misspelled pyroblast)

Humm, I didn't see the fireball yet, I'll answer you in a minute, but yeah, 2 seconds might be too much unless it is some mini pyroexplosion xD

Think Pyroblast from WoW.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Damokles wrote: »

Humm, I didn't see the fireball yet, I'll answer you in a minute, but yeah, 2 seconds might be too much unless it is some mini pyroexplosion xD

That's it, sry, I didn't remember the name and came up with a new one xD.
    Damokles wrote: »

Had to google it myself xD
    a6XEiIf.gif

If the vid I found is real, then is good for me as long the dmg is nice, but idk if that was the vid, link me one if you can.
  • Damokles wrote: »
    Damokles wrote: »

Had to google it myself xD

The thing is that in spanish (I'm spanish, fyi, heh), is piroexplosion, that's why I translated but not correctly xD.
  • CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    @Leroher

I made a post about it.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/45454/combat-skill-animations-july-dev-update

Also, the fireball ability is supposed to be a repetitive ability by the looks of it. I saw Steven spamming it in a tower in the 4k gameplay video. He just kept winding up with this super long animation, to cast a somewhat boring, yellowish looking fireball. Its tab target too, so I don't see a point in making it have such a long cast animation. Maybe they should change it to a charge type ability, where you deal more dmg the longer you charge it for and when you charge it, make it so that it slows you down instead of rooting you in place.
    @Leroher

I made a post about it.

Also, the fireball ability is supposed to be a repetitive ability by the looks of it. I saw Steven spamming it in a tower in the 4k gameplay video. He just kept winding up with this super long animation, to cast a somewhat boring, yellowish looking fireball. Its tab target too, so I don't see a point in making it have such a long cast animation. Maybe they should change it to a charge type ability, where you deal more dmg the longer you charge it for and when you charge it, make it so that it slows you down instead of rooting you in place.

Ok, now I see what you mean, I didn't see that skill. I don't think the skill is useless ir bad, at least idk the dmg nor the range of the skill. Idk neither the tier in which it was nor the possible buffs it could get after investing some points in it, or even augments.

But yeah, the skill could be bad, but we don't know it's impact nor how the other classes will be able to do against it in the future. And even if it's indeed bad, I hope IS balances it.
    edited August 2020
    @Leroher

I made a post about it.

You cant really take Stevens Gameplay serious. They have gm armour and buffs.
    Have you watched their caravan attack event? They one shot players with those wind up fireballs while taking nearly no damage even though they are heavily outnumbered.
    It most likely will have a 10sec cd with high mana costs or something .
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • jsolojsolo Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Remember, that all abilities can and will change as development moves forward. It make sense that a skill that has you rooted in place would be high damage. For me that high risk for great reward.

• I really like the idea of 6 mages all using prismatic beam, 1 with a cold slowing effect and creating a super beam that melts target. If they really wish to risk it, let them. PvP they are sitting ducks, PvE it would fun to see a massive burst damage to a boss monster!
    E8OOol.gif