Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How cool would it be if Bards could...

How cool would it be if Bards could unlock unique music ballads? They can display their hard work and dedication within the Bard community by /music and rock out rare songs they have unlocked playing the game! One can only hope am I right?

Comments

• Options
    lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It would be interesting if bards could play melodies from the game and it wouldn't run afoul of copyright unlike allowing them to create music on their own so it's possible maybe.
    signature.png
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Kalv1441 wrote: »
    How cool would it be if Bards could unlock unique music ballads? They can display their hard work and dedication within the Bard community by /music and rock out rare songs they have unlocked playing the game! One can only hope am I right?

"Unlock Unique" Think about that. Unlocked content comes from a predetermined set or list. There is nothing unique about that. It is like saying I have a Unique mount in WoW. You never will. Unless you are the only person in that game with that mount. Actually did happen a few times in WoW I think?

What is bad about your idea is that it creates a side progression that is only accessible by one archetype. If you do that then you have to add something for the other archetypes to do. It might sound cool, but it would be a lot of work.

What would be better is to just have it so that you can use your keyboard to play truly unique music that you wrote. "Bards may be able to play musical instruments, such as Flutes and Bagpipes." is a line on the wiki that is very open to interpretation, but it hints that we might actually be able to play music like FFXIV or LOTRO.

I would rather have the freedom to play the notes I want that deal with a collect-a-thon to obtain a static set of notes that will get old over time.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Nah. No unlockables, let players play their own music. Imagine the amount of rp you could get out of that. There will be people who get crazy good at playing their instruments. I would totally pay gold to go to a bard concert. The best bards gonna be rich af from just playing music.

Man now I wanna make a bard alt just to pursue a career in music.
  • Options
    would be cool if i we can design our own songbooks and sell them in auction in-game...
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Exquizit wrote: »
    would be cool if i we can design our own songbooks and sell them in auction in-game...

I like the concept, but I can't imagine a music industry without piracy.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would rather have them get something like the Shawzim from Warframe.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    I'm going to be in voice chat on Discord singing every time I change a song. I'll also switch pitches.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Kalv1441 wrote: »

"Unlock Unique" Think about that. Unlocked content comes from a predetermined set or list. There is nothing unique about that. It is like saying I have a Unique mount in WoW. You never will. Unless you are the only person in that game with that mount. Actually did happen a few times in WoW I think?

What is bad about your idea is that it creates a side progression that is only accessible by one archetype. If you do that then you have to add something for the other archetypes to do. It might sound cool, but it would be a lot of work.

What would be better is to just have it so that you can use your keyboard to play truly unique music that you wrote. "Bards may be able to play musical instruments, such as Flutes and Bagpipes." is a line on the wiki that is very open to interpretation, but it hints that we might actually be able to play music like FFXIV or LOTRO.

I would rather have the freedom to play the notes I want that deal with a collect-a-thon to obtain a static set of notes that will get old over time.

I also think that is a great idea for the class. My line of thinking came from the idea that rogues can unlock hidden parts of dungeons, so what would bard be able to do?

You make some good points as to what would be the negative of unlockable music. The altruistic motivation for me to make this post was to just have a discussion about Bard identity ideas. So, for that thanks for your input!

• Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

I disagree that this is a bad idea seeing as how it's not really any different than Rogues being able to unlock secret areas in dungeons.

If anything we should encourage each archetype getting something unique in this manner.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.