Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Localized Indoor Chat & LoS Emoting + Outdoor 'Earshot' Chat; The "Murmur Sphere"

1. I propose localized chat channels inside of dwellings and taverns, etc, relying on the concept of ear-shot--and emote channels in each building as well (relying on Line of Sight), so as to cut down RP spam.

It makes sense that buildings should also serve for privacy--this makes them more immersive, and therefore more playable; which I also feel would bolster the greater community--as buildings of all varieties will play an important, core role in Ashes of Creation.

2. I propose a 'murmur sphere' which functions on a smaller in-range/ out-of-range mechanic than public 'say' or 'speak.

I feel this would add another layer of immersion to the in-game chat as well as serving some very practical purposes in, say, a siege with two allies you just met--cornered, quickly needing to give or receive orders without announcing yourself... .

Imagine the depth of drama this would add?

"DestinyAwry murmurs: inc 2 melee 3 casters, get in position"
*a few seconds later*
*5 come up against 3, but the 3 have the elements of surprise and co-operation*

As a moderate-to-light RPer--and an avid PvPer--I strongly feel these two things together would greatly improve RP and non-RP server-relations; and potentially serve to make the game more fluid, more community-oriented, and much more immersive.

P.S. I can see the localized chat-channels being hard to code, but I do think the murmur sphere would be quite easy to implement without causing any major headaches. But: I'm not the literal god of game development.

Comments

• Options
    "Taverns offer private chat and voice communications for all patrons within the building." From the Taverns wiki.
  • Options
    Judous wrote: »
    "Taverns offer private chat and voice communications for all patrons within the building." From the Taverns wiki.

That is totally in the direction I'd like, but I worry if those buildings are instanced.

What about, say, an open-door dwelling? Would you also like to see an emote system based on Line of Sight, so that houses serve all the functions of an actual house?

That way, people walking by a house party for example wouldn't have to deal with emote spam.
  • Options
    I recall a number of times, I walked in on a couple doing cyber, in instances even. Ugh... SWOTR comes to mind or was it STO? Memories I can't replace nor wish to recall. Ever hear; get a room?
  • Options
    Kneczhevo wrote: »
    I recall a number of times, I walked in on a couple doing cyber, in instances even. Ugh... SWOTR comes to mind or was it STO? Memories I can't replace nor wish to recall. Ever hear; get a room?

That is the sort of crap that gives the RP community a bad name TBH—but yeah.

Nobody needs that noise.
  • Options
    Judous wrote: »

That is totally in the direction I'd like, but I worry if those buildings are instanced.

What about, say, an open-door dwelling? Would you also like to see an emote system based on Line of Sight, so that houses serve all the functions of an actual house?

That way, people walking by a house party for example wouldn't have to deal with emote spam.

The buildings are not instanced, there is very little instancing in the game. Sounds like top tier dungeons and raids only.

I'm guessing since they're putting the Tavern chat system in then there will be a proximity, town/village as well. If i were Intrepid I would leave the global and server chat to discord.
  • Options

Oh boy, in the early days of Black Desert Online...

I'm old enough to know what Cyber sex is but I hadn't been aware of what ERP is until BDO.

Basically it was deviantART x pronhub the chat. It was so prolific the devs had to give it it's own chat with a check box to opt in to it. (It was turned off by default once implemented)

Ok fine whatever.

So then I got me a house. A nice corner apartment overlooking the market. The thing is, you and I could own the same house we'd just have phased (not to be confused with instanced) copy's of the interior. Looking out the window you could see the town in real time but not /say.

Now, this is where it's funny. Apparently "they/them" got a room... And since it was phased you could read their chat. Effectively hearing your neighbors through the wall.

And the fourth wall 😆
  • Options
    Destiny AwryDestiny Awry Member
    edited August 2020
    And the fourth wall 😆

Very clever, lol