Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

It would be cool if weapons / shields sheathed and stayed visible on your character when put away.

I noticed in the latest demo, when the character put away his shield and sword, they just disappeared and then reappeared when he equiped them. It'd be cool if your weapons / shields stayed visible on your character when they are put away.

Comments

• Options
    msty.gif
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    HansrutgerHansrutger Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    A l p h a

I can't really think of any game that makes your weapons disappear (other than GTA 5 xD) that has recently been released. I'm sure they will include it down the road.
  • Options
    Hansrutger wrote: »
    A l p h a

Yeah I kind of figured since it's only alpha. The aesthetics look super cool, so I'm really looking forward to seeing upcoming weapon / armor designs.
    I can't really think of any game that makes your weapons disappear (other than GTA 5 xD) that has recently been released.

Are you trying to tell me that it's not immersive to pull a rocket launcher out of my pant pocket :p
  • Options
    SamsonSamson Member
    edited August 2020
    A l p h a

I can't really think of any game that makes your weapons disappear (other than GTA 5 xD) that has recently been released. I'm sure they will include it down the road.

I am very aware that it's 'pre-alpha' at the moment but I just wanted to iterate that I am really looking forward to weapons/shields being displayed on our characters backs and/or sides when we are not in combat.

To me.. this is actually what I'm most looking forward to seeing being implemented in future updates (as small of a thing that it may be). :)

I'm okay with pulling out a giant bear to ride out of my back pocket but my weapons and shield are another story. :)
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    I'm too hoping this is simply a side-effect of the game still being very early in development.
  • Options
    Samson wrote: »
    A l p h a

I am very aware that it's 'pre-alpha' at the moment but I just wanted to iterate that I am really looking forward to weapons/shields being displayed on our characters backs and/or sides when we are not in combat.

To me.. this is actually what I'm most looking forward to seeing being implemented in future updates (as small of a thing that it may be). :)

I'm okay with pulling out a giant bear to ride out of my back pocket but my weapons and shield are another story. :)

Exactly! Its pre alpha, though, so it will change.
  • Options
    They've promised to not only show your sheathed weapon and shield, but your stowed ranged weapon and sheathed secondary weapon with toggles to hide them or not.

We might also get other cosmetic togles like scrolls and potions displayed in our belts. The ability to hide helmets capes and hopefully shoulder pads.
  • Options
    To tact onto this, it would be interesting if you could choose where on your person the weapons sheathed. Like sword on the hip, or on the back.
    E8OOol.gif
  • Options
    @Celestial Scythe
    Based on what's quoted on the wiki, I think their current plan is the standard 1h go on the hip and 2h go on the back.

But I am inclined to agree with you. Both Link and Geralt wear thier swords in their back and it plan looks cooler.

The Greeks wore their short swords at the hip, but that's only because their primary weapon was a spear.

The Romans adopted the Greek phalanx but used much larger shields and would throw javelins as they closed into melee range. So they also used short swords worn at the hip.

The phalanx would be used all the way up and though the Viking Age but without the Roman discipline. Swords were by comparison far more expensive and required years of training. Ax's were cheap, and a multi purpose tool. But a skilled swordsman would have the advantage.

Once full plate and chain mail we're invented 2h swords became viable. Kite shields and bastard swords became a counter, and the idea there was that if you lost your shield your sword could be used as a one hand or a two hand.

Longsword is just a gentrified name for the bastard sword. And they could be worn at the hip, or on the back.

A Knight was never without his sword and because heavy things are easier to carry on your back, that's generally where they went. Wearing your 12 pounds of steel on your hip was more of a flex and generally only done in situations where the Knight was without armor and his steed. It's also faster to unsheathe a sword at the hip.
  • Options
    DrokkDrokk Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They've promised to not only show your sheathed weapon and shield, but your stowed ranged weapon and sheathed secondary weapon with toggles to hide them or not.

We might also get other cosmetic togles like scrolls and potions displayed in our belts. The ability to hide helmets capes and hopefully shoulder pads.
    Out of curiosity, do you have a source for that?
  • Options
    ShaladoorShaladoor Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Drokk wrote: »

@Drokk
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Gear_appearance
  • Options
    Shaladoor wrote: »
    Drokk wrote: »

@Drokk
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Gear_appearance

Thanks 😘
  • Options
    I expect this to be a feature ... if it’s not it’s bad development ... it’s pre alpha though so sure it will be in game
  • Options
    Hystorix wrote: »
    I expect this to be a feature ... if it’s not it’s bad development ... it’s pre alpha though so sure it will be in game

Why would that make it bad development? Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it, but if it's not in game, it's not "bad development".