Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[MegaThread] Naming locations on Verra

AlluringAlluring Moderator, Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
This post is inspired by the wonderful Ashes community on the official subreddit who have been naming islands and continents on the map.

Does the landmass look like a similar place you know? Does it look like an animal? Or do you just want to give the location an awesome fantasy name? Name a location plop it down in the comments for everyone to see.
Please note that these are all unofficial names and are just for the communities enjoyment
map2.jpg

Remember that all posts must adhere to the community rules.
All discussions should be constructive, report any comments that break our rules
Thank you.
volunteer_moderator.gif

Comments

• UnnoUnno Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I swear, I didn't know what I was doing when I circled the map. They warned me, but I didn't listen.
  • This is fun :D
    I name the desert location Desolate Desert
  • AlluringAlluring Moderator, Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    choppie01 wrote: »
    This is fun :D
    I name the desert location Desolate Desert

You can post a picture of the map and circle the location if youd like c:
    Goodness i already dislike desert regions but now its desolate! \o/ I can feel the despair
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • GrandHarfangGrandHarfang Member
    edited August 2020
    Someone proposed The Downunder for the island in the bottom right of the map on the subreddit. I think it's perfect!
  • AlluringAlluring Moderator, Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Someone proposed The Downunder for the island in the bottom right of the map on the subreddit. I think it's perfect!

Yeah GreatGravee picked that I believe
    oz60yove21k51.jpg
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    807d65afba787474e63b5dd78f3a1949.jpg

Names for some desert parts
    Izil.png
  • GirraGirra Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The island on the bottom-right : the lonely island
  • I know people are coming up with pretty awesome unofficial names, but do we have clues on one or two of the official ones maybe? Scavenging around the wiki 'Riverlands' and 'Northern Mountains'(although not capitalized) come up in some of the quotes.

"It has only been over the past millennia that the Riverlands have begun to see colonies of Elves exist." (on Pyrian Elves)
    "The center of the Dwarven race is the nation of Dünzenkell, found deep in the northern mountains."... and later.... "It has fueled the expansion of the Dwarven kingdoms throughout the northern mountains." (on Dunzenkell)

I think the autumn and dark forest in the center are probably the Pyrian home forests, but the territory in the extreme southwest looks like it could be the 'Riverlands" maybe judging by the various waterways? (although the plain/flatland right next to the autumn looking forest would be a more natural extension of the territory?)
    Northern mountains has got to probably be the one in the extreme northwest right? (they are the only real mountains in that direction)

(map with my attempt at boundary outlines below)

qotPbMV.jpg

• KneczhevoKneczhevo Member
    edited August 2020
    That little spot, right there? I'm naming it "Z3rg3ase1".

JK 😜

I like this idea. It gives the devs some material, from us, to work with. Let's get creative!

Edit. Let's get some back stories, with these names. Content, people.
  • KabanKaban Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    b2154e8b3e.jpg

The circled mountains seem like they join 3 regions together and the most immediate association I have is the mountains in south-eastern Poland which serve as a border between Poland, Slovakia and Ukraine. Polish name for the mountains is Bieszczady /B-ye-shcha-dee/ however the locals quite often refer to them as Biesy-Czady. "Biesy" meaning "Fiends" while "Czady" is derivative form of "Czad" which is a common name for carbonoxide, a deadly translucent and odourless gas. The name itself might also refer to the fact these mountains were inhabited by several bandit hansas throughout 14th and 15th century. Thus by applying my twisted logic i dub this mountain range Phantom Fiend Belt.... Lore will follow tomorrow as I'm bound to be back to work in less than 7 hrs ;p
  • Hello from Reddit! I was the one who suggested the Dragon Head cove to the bottom right area with the ice peninsula!
    E8OOol.gif
  • Wouldn't it be cool if we didn't name the regions beforehand. After all we are explorers in a new world "no pun intended".
    That way all regions would feel more unexplored and wild. Over time players would find names and the most popular would be used.
  • Sunboy wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be cool if we didn't name the regions beforehand. After all we are explorers in a new world "no pun intended".
    That way all regions would feel more unexplored and wild. Over time players would find names and the most popular would be used.

Nah, not cool. Jk it's just for fun! I strongly doubt these names will stay after release anyway.
  • FiastosFiastos Member, Settler
    unknown.png

That should be called Little Australia, change my mind.
  • Fiastos wrote: »
    unknown.png

That should be called Little Australia, change my mind.

I disagree. The Downunder is waaaay better.
  • VanShchVanShch Member
    edited August 2020
    Nothern island at the top right corner looks like flexing bear who is showing its biceps. Mighty Bear Island? Ursus Brute? Inkedmap2_LI.jpg?width=673&height=475
  • GrandHarfangGrandHarfang Member
    edited August 2020
    Edit : nothing :)
  • Inkedmap21_LI.jpg?width=1022&height=308
    And this is Lake Mouse
  • rebirebi Member
    I am not really good at naming things, also not a native speaker but I had so much fun anyways.
    r8XMilL.jpg

/ https://imgur.com/a/w2kTv2H
  • TwangTwang Member
    edited August 2020
    Will be Updating map with more names/Edits for pronunciation. Having fun with just theorizing names based on landmarks and styles based off of possible culture. As well as wether or not its a separate landmark or a division or path. lmk if u have any ideas or advice of your own.

ashes_map.png

Using @Inixia map frame as a guide for possible differences in flow of names & areas.
  • CreoCreo Member
    The island called "Dailousa" from the previous picture I named "Wizard Isle" since it looks like a wizard with a large flowing robe, from the back, where the left hand is holding a staff or sword casting a spell.
  • Creo wrote: »
    named "Wizard Isle" since it looks like a wizard with a large flowing robe, from the back, where the left hand is holding a staff or sword casting a spell.

Never thought about naming it off of shape alone, Tried to come up with some sortve Oasis/Paradise type of feeling since it looks like itll be a heavily forested, tropical island. Something Arcane'y could be cool
  • Sunboy wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be cool if we didn't name the regions beforehand. After all we are explorers in a new world "no pun intended".

Nah, not cool. Jk it's just for fun! I strongly doubt these names will stay after release anyway.

Hehe, I’m sure dong bay will live forever in our memories ;) It is fun on the forums and reddit but in the minuscule chance of the devs think it’s a good idea with certain names that pop up here, then I also want to propose my suggestion of no names.
  • KneczhevoKneczhevo Member
    edited September 2020
    This is just speculation, just thinking.

The devs are tossing the idea of mayor's naming nodes. Now, before you get excited. These are preset names from a pull down menu (look at node building video).

With that said. There are 9 races. That means, there are 9 languages/dialects. Meaning, they will need 9 variations to naming that node. Follow me?

Again, this is just speculation. But, keep up the great ideas and keep dreaming! 👍🤩

Edit: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/45577/naming-nodes#latest
  • I had some ideas, last night.

Snotbog. An economic node next to a swamp, wanting to improve it's image.

But, more importantly, I was thinking about the nine names idea.

Personally, I like Points of Interest named after Gods. But, since we don't know the gods, this makes it tough. But, I'll give it a try.

Imagine a node with mountain or rock that sorta looks like a throne or seat.

Thor's Throne
    Stevens Seat
    Dorf's Anvil
    Orkfang
    Tradduka
    Slabseat City
    Salvation
    Krohn'Kalle
    Drab'ffej

See what I did there? This one is tough. I can only imagine what the devs are going through. Let's try to help them out.