Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cryptocurrency?

With how in depth this game is turning out to be, are developers thinking about adding a way of earning some sort of crypto token for playing the game? I read a past post that someone put out a while back about blockchain in AOC, but I;m not sure if he and I meant the same thing. There are a lot of advancements going on with etherium that could be useful, from personal experience I know I will be spending a very long time infront of the screen playing my favorite MMO. If I could get paid for doing so, well, I might make it my job to play.

Comments

• Options
    arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    edited September 2020
    Nah, lets not incentivize RMT, botting and pay to win.
    Crypto has no place in MMORPGs, dunno why people keep on connecting these two.
  • Options
    GruntagGruntag Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    Elgondamo wrote: »
    With how in depth this game is turning out to be, are developers thinking about adding a way of earning some sort of crypto token for playing the game? I read a past post that someone put out a while back about blockchain in AOC, but I;m not sure if he and I meant the same thing. There are a lot of advancements going on with etherium that could be useful, from personal experience I know I will be spending a very long time infront of the screen playing my favorite MMO. If I could get paid for doing so, well, I might make it my job to play.

C2M.gif

Playing a game such as AoC is for fun and escapism; you pay to play (subscription) to support the continued support and development of this wonderful game.

If you really want to 'get paid' while playing AoC, become a streamer/YouTube(r) and offer great content so that you can get sponsorships, subs, etc..or you could get a traditional 'job' to get paid.
  • Options
    Crypto is the future, working from home is the future, the sub fee can be seen as a right to mine that crypto thru the game. It can be implemented in a way that bots cant earn it, and making money while playing a game like an MMO do "go together", if it didnt there wouldnt be soo many people streaming. I'm talking about earning crypto for playing not P2W. The game already has a token called "ember" if I could, as a player, earn ember in game and have the ability to trade it for ETH or BTC. Its a WIN WIN proposition. Only boomers that dont get crypto would be against this idea, it wouldnt hurt the actual game play in anyway. If anything it would help compensate players for playing the game instead of getting a job.
  • Options
    Just so i get the idea right:

You would want the Ability to offer the processing power of your PC to mine crypocurrency while playing the game.

Then you'd split the earnings with the Developer.

Is that right?

@Elgondamo
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Crypto is the future the way Betamax and pet rocks were considered the future. It’s a silly, unsustainable fad that’s already losing momentum as the drawbacks become clearer. It really only has any kind of foothold in illegal transactions, and even crooks have better alternatives for black markets.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    I just want to say even if OP's idea is dumbed down to "you dont have to pay to sub, you can earn it in game", I feel like that would cause manipulation of gameplay and markets to drive the effectively free subs.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Only boomers that dont get crypto would be against this idea
    Or people with a brain.

If you want to earn crypto while playing Ashes, you can mine for it yourself on the side - no one is stopping you.
  • Options
    VioVio Member
    A game should never be considered a job. It’s an entertaining escape like someone said earlier. It would ruin any MMO that even considers the thought of creating such an avenue. There is joy in the atmosphere of friendly competition. There is misery when it becomes forced.

Just because you see the potential to exploit a game for unintended results, doesn’t mean the developers should capitulate to you. I am whole heartedly against it.
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    Crypto is the future the way Betamax and pet rocks were considered the future. It’s a silly, unsustainable fad that’s already losing momentum as the drawbacks become clearer. It really only has any kind of foothold in illegal transactions, and even crooks have better alternatives for black markets.

That's what I like to read, more crypto for daddy :)
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    So thats why Visa and Master card are going into the crypto space, and why there is talk of going cashless soon. C'mon you know the thing.....
  • Options
    So thats why Visa and Master card are going into the crypto space, and why there is talk of going cashless soon. C'mon you know the thing.....

maybe.
    But Steven allready said the game will not have any type of Pay to win.
    Allowing people to Farm their sub or money ingame in any type or form is pay to win.

So to your question:

Not going to happen.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    Xenotor wrote: »
    Not going to happen.

I agree regardless of what op is asking for.
    - make ashes have a crypto miner running in the background
    Literally never even been mentioned, and a very counterintuitive idea, so I think not ever.

- earn an in-game currency to pay for subs.
    Again based on things that have been said about $$, no. Maybe a year or more post release, but I wouldn't even expext it thay soon.
  • Options
    I was a "Guide" (a lesser GM) in EQ, for a free subscription. It ruined me, and I quit forever. Lol
  • Options
    EtroEtro Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nice troll post.
    EtroSig2.png
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am a big fan of cryptocurrencies. I just don't see how you could fairly tie crypto to the game.

If the crpyto is just something that you mine while the client is running than all you have done is made a random alt coin with a weird mining client.There are a billion alt-coins, and most of them seem really risky to invest in. I am very skeptical that having the game be a miner would make the "AoCoin" a good alt-coin.

If the crypto has any effect on the game world... you have have made the game pay to win.

@Noaani is right, you can just mine crypto on the side while you play.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    ElgondamoElgondamo Member
    edited September 2020
    There are limitless ways they could tie it into the game, same way you can earn countless achievements, titles, gold, reputation tokens, ect... Plus they already have ember. They already said it wouldnt be P2W, this is crypto for players to spend in the games store "ember works this way already I think". All they need to do is make it so EMBER can be trade to a different token like Eth or BTC.

I'm sure they have thought about how to make embers hard to farm by bots. The sub fee can stay in place, and it can be seen as the fee to play and farm ember. Dont know about everyone else, but I can't stream because I'm not a handsome, charismatic fellow. But I still invest close to 40 + hours a week to my favorite MMO if I could at least get crypto out of those hours spent, it would help off-set the oportunity cost of not doing something more productive with my life.

p.s. all the negative feed back is way short sighted.. and who mentioned a miner running in the back ground or paying the sub fee with the crypto? dont add your bad ideas to my awesome one!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    There are limitless ways they could tie it into the game, same way you can earn countless achievements, titles, gold, reputation tokens, ect... Plus they already have ember. They already said it wouldnt be P2W, this is crypto for players to spend in the games store "ember works this way already I think". All they need to do is make it so EMBER can be trade to a different token like Eth or BTC.

I'm sure they have thought about how to make embers hard to farm by bots. The sub fee can stay in place, and it can be seen as the fee to play and farm ember. Dont know about everyone else, but I can't stream because I'm not a handsome, charismatic fellow. But I still invest close to 40 + hours a week to my favorite MMO if I could at least get crypto out of those hours spent, it would help off-set the oportunity cost of not doing something more productive with my life.
    Embers are bought with actual money, not earned in game.

So now you seem to be suggesting that quests and such should result in this new crypto curency of yours. That leaves the question - where does this new currency get it's value from? Like, if I wanted to trade it for bitcoin, why would someone with bitcoin want to trade with me?

Also, I don't think Intrepid want people to look at Ashes as a job.
  • Options
    Blockchain (technology behind crypto) is a solid technology and will be used for high data integrity use-cases such as bank transactions or b2b deals. You'd be amazed at the amount of time/cost spent on syncing up incorrect data between two entities. Look up Ripple for an example. I work in IT an actually have implemented a blockchain solution.

Crypto farming has no business in a video game. Talk about a crazy path towards pay to win, so many ways that Crypto would totally screw things up.
  • Options

p.s. all the negative feed back is way short sighted.. and who mentioned a miner running in the back ground or paying the sub fee with the crypto? dont add your bad ideas to my awesome one!

Why should intrepid pay people to play the game? you can't earn embers by doing quests, and who would want to trade bitcoin for video game cosmetics? and its your choice to ply the game, so it wont be your job unless you work for intrepid. also, if you can exchange embers for real currency, then it is PTW.
  • Options

you can't earn ember in game. Its the cash shop currency
  • Options
    Ember is an alt digital currency, tether works the same in as much as it is tied 1 for 1 to the dollar. I'm left wondering why they would even make an alt digital currency that you can buy and spend in a shop that you can also spend fiat in? I have dollars and I want X from shop. I can buy embers 1x1 and buy it with embers or I can buy it with dollars... Makes little sense... There have to be different ways of getting ember other than buying them 1for1.

If they havent implemented a way to earn it through in-game interactions then they should. If AoC is the first MMORPG that figures out how to resolve not only the player agency issues that plague current MMO's. But also have a way to compensate their subscribers for the time they invest playing the game and therefore making it more popular and more profitable. Ecosystems of the future are circular, implementing something in anyway similar to what I'm suggesting can only be good for the game.
  • Options
    What even is the basis for this idea? I really do not get it.
    Your insistence on shoving a cryptocurrency in some way shape or form into this videogame is unprecedented in its ridiculousness.
  • Options
    PandiumPandium Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    Earning tokens as you play, no... go to buff.game or something similar and ask them to add game when its released (but you are going to wait for a loooong time). Now, paying sub with crypto seems kewl, i say why not :smiley:
  • Options
    WTF!! NO!!
  • Options
    Ember is an alt digital currency, tether works the same in as much as it is tied 1 for 1 to the dollar. I'm left wondering why they would even make an alt digital currency that you can buy and spend in a shop that you can also spend fiat in? I have dollars and I want X from shop. I can buy embers 1x1 and buy it with embers or I can buy it with dollars... Makes little sense... There have to be different ways of getting ember other than buying them 1for1.

If they havent implemented a way to earn it through in-game interactions then they should. If AoC is the first MMORPG that figures out how to resolve not only the player agency issues that plague current MMO's. But also have a way to compensate their subscribers for the time they invest playing the game and therefore making it more popular and more profitable. Ecosystems of the future are circular, implementing something in anyway similar to what I'm suggesting can only be good for the game.

You seem to be new to MMO's, and just recently learned about crypto. That is all I am able to gather from what you are saying.

First of all, you can't just buy items from the cosmetic shop when the game goes live. You will need to purchase Embers, which you can then use to purchase items in the shop with.

As to why they do it this way rather than just allowing people to buy directly from the shop - there are three reasons.

The first is that they hope people will buy a larger amount of currency than they will spend. This is not really a reason, but a lot of people think it is.

The second is that it allows Intrepid to bundle game time packages with in game currency - much as they already do.

Third is that it allows people using foreign currency to purchase a large amount of Embers if they want to, perhaps taking advantage of a favorable exchange rate, but more importantly only needing to pay a single exchange fee.

Now, as to your last paragraph - players don't "invest" time in to an MMO. If that is how you look at playing games, you should look for another hobby (or a better job).

If people have to do an active task to earn Embers - even if it is in game - and those Embers can be sold for money without breaking any kind of ToS, then Intrepid would need to register as an employer in every country they allow the game to be played in, and would likely need to hire accounts in all of them as well.

This is a hard, sold and complete no. Not for any reasons to do with what people want, but for reason to do with how the world functions.
  • Options
    so many brainless responses here..

Adding crypto tokens to a game does not mean that your game becomes p2w..

For example.. this company is still in control in weither or not you add stuff to your cashshop that's not p2w..

Now the question will be.... will this company allow tokenizing these items, that are in cashshop.. and run a blockchain in background to allow trading between these assets..

Its nothing more nothing less.

The embers that ashes uses could be tokenized. which in the background will be running on a blockchain which provides 100% sercurity

player to player trading is another subject to discuss.. and i dont think steven will be happy in doing so.. since it will bork the sales of the cashshop

tbh... i dont see any benefits in tokenizing embers.. because it im pretty sure that player 2 player trade wont be allowed for cosmetics.
  • Options

Remember, Intrepid consider the ability to trade a cosmetic item to another player to be a form of pay to win. If I am able to buy a thing with money, and then trade that thing in game with another player, that's pay to win.

As such, if any crypto associated with the game is able to be both traded and used in game in any way (even if just cosmetic) it is pay to win.

It may not be pay to win by your definition, but your definition is not the one that matters here.

So, any crypto tied to the game would need to either not be able to be traded, or not be able to be used in game. One of those things MUST happen in order for it to not be pay to win.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

Remember, Intrepid consider the ability to trade a cosmetic item to another player to be a form of pay to win. If I am able to buy a thing with money, and then trade that thing in game with another player, that's pay to win.

As such, if any crypto associated with the game is able to be both traded and used in game in any way (even if just cosmetic) it is pay to win.

It may not be pay to win by your definition, but your definition is not the one that matters here.

So, any crypto tied to the game would need to either not be able to be traded, or not be able to be used in game. One of those things MUST happen in order for it to not be pay to win.

if cosmetics that you buy from cashshop will be trade able amougst other players.. then yes shit is p2w
  • Options
    Go back to Entropia.
  • Options
    KnytemaireKnytemaire Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sounds like someone is trying to avoid being an adult.
    Lyriss-Sig-Test.png
    Lyriss L'Enescor - Empyrean Cleric of Gray Sentinels