Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cryptocurrency?

Comments

• Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited September 2020
    Alhem wrote: »
    Really interesting idea OP. I've been pondering that myself. I am surprised to see so many people opposed to it. I think it is coming. I don't see why 5 hours of grinding daily shouldn't be paying off in currency that has real value in the real world in addition to in the virtual world (the game). Some people would consider grinding and playing games to make money more fun than doing many other things that pays in the real world.

The problem is, when you make it so that you can make money playing a game, people's general attitude towards the game becomes worse. They will play the game in the way that earns them the most amount of money instead of playing it the way they want to play it. That's why I'm against crypto or any other type of way for players to make money in game.

The only possible exception to this is artists being able to sell their paintings/carvings. But again, this can also create possible copyright issues.
  • Options
    Mad ManxMad Manx Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't care as long as

(1) The game uses ZERO of my PC processor power if I don't opt in.

(2) The game PRIORITIZES game play and shuts off crypto mining during large raids and battles so no player experiences any slow downs because of it. IF any node is lagging, no crypto.

If the above cannot be achieved then I'm opposed.
  • Options
    Just mine your crypto of choice while you're playing the game, there's absolutely no reason it needs to be baked in.
  • Options
    No, thank you.
    Elgondamo wrote: »
    With how in depth this game is turning out to be, are developers thinking about adding a way of earning some sort of crypto token for playing the game? I read a past post that someone put out a while back about blockchain in AOC, but I;m not sure if he and I meant the same thing. There are a lot of advancements going on with etherium that could be useful, from personal experience I know I will be spending a very long time infront of the screen playing my favorite MMO. If I could get paid for doing so, well, I might make it my job to play.

No man... a game is for entertaining, for relaxing, for using your free time having fun. I found the idea of getting paid for playing very attractive a while ago. But now im radically against it.

There is nothing bad about streaming, there is a showmanship thing to it.

But just playing a game and earn crypto for it ? Come on, you are asking for the chinese to lock up a ton of kids in a room to play a game, hours after hours after hours.
    It's not fun anymore. " I GOTTA GET THAT RAID, I GOTTA GRIND FOR HOURS TO GET THAT CRYPTO BEFORE THE MARKET CRASHES ".
    If im going to grind, is to let the time pass and disconnect my mind for a while. Is not the same when you have the cash behind, even if you don't want to, it'll become a burden.

I know it seemed like a good idea, it isn't.
    FOeRqtf.jpg
  • Options
    apmax wrote: »
    Just mine your crypto of choice while you're playing the game, there's absolutely no reason it needs to be baked in.

It's ok Admins. You can close this thread now.

The best advice has already been given.
  • Options
    KokeshenKokeshen Member
    edited September 2020
    Noaani wrote: »
    Kokeshen wrote: »
    Pro Slavery? really?
    Until you can come up with a suggestion that would make this not happen, yes, that is the stance you seem to have on it.

Call me old fashioned, but I am not keen on anything being added to any form of entertainment if it could easily result in a person forcing another person to do that thing in order to make money for the first person. While there may well end up being some form of this happen regardless, that is not an excuse to then just actively encourage more of the same behavior.

If you want your idea to be taken even remotely seriously, there are a few things you need to address.

The first is where this crypto will gain it's value from. Things like Bitcoin gain it from there being a hard cap on how much bitcoin can ever be produced - but that is not really suitable to a crypto in an MMO.

Then you need to address what exactly it is that people can do with this coin. You can't just say that it can be traded like all the other crypto currencies out there, as not all crypto currencies are automatically accepted in to exchanges, and this currency would need to have real value from day 1.

Then you need to address why you think Intrepid would be able to get a crypto off teh ground when a consotrium of Facebook, initially backed at least in part by eBay, Mastercard, PayPal, Stripe and Visa - among other companies - is having no end of issues in getting set up.

Next you have the issue of no actual banks being willing to back any form of crypto - something that will be essential if such currencies were to ever have the wide reaching impact you think they will have.

Lastly, you need to address how this system won't simply result in the game being dominated by people sweatshops/actual slaves. I mean, the idea is a no-go anyway, but without addressing this, you are literally suggesting something that will see people put in to slavery over - regardless of any justifications you may have with it.

Without answers to these points, all you are really saying is "I want to make money playing a game, and don't care if that means people in other countries will be enslaved in order to make money for others, herp derp" (the herp derp at the end is key).

So go on, take it seriously, answer these five points - and be prepared for the answers you give to be criticized.

So once again NO ONE can stop criminals from being criminals. All you can do is outlaw these actions in respective jurisdictions, but that is far beyond the scope of any gaming studio to accomplish.

However, because in game currency isn't officially transferable to fiat as of TODAY, These slave rings that farm in game currency right now as we speak, aren't breaking any laws. If a game made in game currency officially trade-able for fiat. Then there is at least the HOPE for these sort of actions to be made illegal everywhere providing more oversight and regulation to what would be a new industry.

I would really love to answer all these questions for you. Every single one of them has a solution or isn't even an issue. But when you say "the idea is a no-go anyway" it makes me not want to waste anymore time addressing you're uneducated and bias "concerns".

I'm done, you're way of thinking seems to have the majority here. Unfortunately for the world it might be another 10-15 more years before any studio is smart/talented enough to want to break the mold and make a crypto MMO with Mass Market appeal.

By then you or someone you love will probably be laid-off with no hope for employment. Instead of turning to AoC to help make ends meet you instead play it to escape what has become a miserable and self-loathing life. When it happens you'll remember this thread and realize you debated tooth and nail to be right where you are.

Good luck to ya and I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Pro Slavery? really?
    Until you can come up with a suggestion that would make this not happen, yes, that is the stance you seem to have on it.

Call me old fashioned, but I am not keen on anything being added to any form of entertainment if it could easily result in a person forcing another person to do that thing in order to make money for the first person. While there may well end up being some form of this happen regardless, that is not an excuse to then just actively encourage more of the same behavior.

If you want your idea to be taken even remotely seriously, there are a few things you need to address.

The first is where this crypto will gain it's value from. Things like Bitcoin gain it from there being a hard cap on how much bitcoin can ever be produced - but that is not really suitable to a crypto in an MMO.

Then you need to address what exactly it is that people can do with this coin. You can't just say that it can be traded like all the other crypto currencies out there, as not all crypto currencies are automatically accepted in to exchanges, and this currency would need to have real value from day 1.

Then you need to address why you think Intrepid would be able to get a crypto off teh ground when a consotrium of Facebook, initially backed at least in part by eBay, Mastercard, PayPal, Stripe and Visa - among other companies - is having no end of issues in getting set up.

Next you have the issue of no actual banks being willing to back any form of crypto - something that will be essential if such currencies were to ever have the wide reaching impact you think they will have.

Lastly, you need to address how this system won't simply result in the game being dominated by people sweatshops/actual slaves. I mean, the idea is a no-go anyway, but without addressing this, you are literally suggesting something that will see people put in to slavery over - regardless of any justifications you may have with it.

Without answers to these points, all you are really saying is "I want to make money playing a game, and don't care if that means people in other countries will be enslaved in order to make money for others, herp derp" (the herp derp at the end is key).

So go on, take it seriously, answer these five points - and be prepared for the answers you give to be criticized.

So once again NO ONE can stop criminals from being criminals. All you can do is outlaw these actions in respective jurisdictions, but that is far beyond the scope of any gaming studio to accomplish.

However, because in game currency isn't officially transferable to fiat as of TODAY, These slave rings that farm in game currency right now as we speak, aren't breaking any laws. If a game made in game currency officially trade-able for fiat. Then there is at least the HOPE for these sort of actions to be made illegal everywhere providing more oversight and regulation to what would be a new industry.

I would really love to answer all these questions for you. Every single one of them has a solution or isn't even an issue. But when you say "the idea is a no-go anyway" it makes me not want to waste anymore time addressing you're uneducated and bias "concerns".

I'm done, you're way of thinking seems to have the majority here. Unfortunately for the world it might be another 10-15 more years before any studio is smart/talented enough to want to break the mold and make a crypto MMO with Mass Market appeal.

By then you or someone you love will probably be laid-off with no hope for employment. Instead of turning to AoC to help make ends meet you instead play it to escape what has become a miserable and self-loathing life. When it happens you'll remember this thread and realize you debated tooth and nail to be right where you are.

It’s honestly funny seeing you call someone uneducated and biased while you seem incapable of understanding the difference between black market slavery and sanctioned slavery. All crypto would do is make it even more profitable for those same sweatshops to make slaves out of people, and your own selfish bias is too thick to understand how detrimental it would be.

Accepting that something is happening, and taking actions that encourage that awful something are very different. One makes you culpable for the suffering of others.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'm done, you're way of thinking seems to have the majority here.
    That is because this is logical thinking. Even in todays world, many people understand the importance of remaining logical when thinking things through.
    By then you or someone you love will probably be laid-off with no hope for employment.
    At it's core, an economy can function without currency.

People perform a service or product that others want or need, and in return the person providing that product or service gets the things that they want or need.

This is an over-simplified, macro-perspective of a functioning economy.

Playing a game to get currency to then trade for things that one wants or needs does not fit in to that.

Crypto-currencies have value due almost exclusively to their ability to be traded semi-anonomously. If Silk Road didn't exist, crypto as a concept would have died by 2012.

Basically, what I am saying is that crypto-currency is not ever going to be a large scale replacement for employment. It is simply not feasable or viable.

As for small scale, if crypto in a game were enough to help make ends meet, then why would regular crypto not also be enough to make ends meet?
  • Options
    YanWalkerYanWalker Member
    edited December 2022
    That's an exciting idea! I definitely think that developers should consider ways for players to earn crypto tokens for playing the game. With blockchain technology becoming increasingly popular, it could be an excellent way for players to be rewarded for their time and effort. Additionally, these tokens could be used to purchase in game items, providing an extra incentive for players to keep playing. On a related note, I recently came across this review about alt signals details - https://crypto-informator.com/blog/altsignals-review/. It might be interesting to explore how this type of platform could be integrated into the game and how rewards could be earned through cryptocurrency trading.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Crypto died brah. This is why you don't necro two year old threads.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    YanWalker wrote: »
    That's an exciting idea! I definitely think that developers should consider ways for players to earn crypto tokens for playing the game.

With all due respect, Fuck No. Keep that shit out of our games.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv307%2FDrIsotope%2FRandom%2Fnecro-post.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=c6aade9f59241312093df9ff51c9b28bf6135375cd450d3638ba9b82c0b7882b&ipo=images
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    With how in depth this game is turning out to be, are developers thinking about adding a way of earning some sort of crypto token for playing the game? I read a past post that someone put out a while back about blockchain in AOC, but I;m not sure if he and I meant the same thing. There are a lot of advancements going on with etherium that could be useful, from personal experience I know I will be spending a very long time infront of the screen playing my favorite MMO. If I could get paid for doing so, well, I might make it my job to play.

No.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Crypto prices are plummeting and the second biggest trading market for coins has collapsed and its CEO was arrested for fraud and embezzlement. The whole industry is done.

Now is the perfect time to jump on board!

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Atama wrote: »
    Crypto prices are plummeting and the second biggest trading market for coins has collapsed and its CEO was arrested for fraud and embezzlement. The whole industry is done.

Now is the perfect time to jump on board!

Hahaha, summed up nicely. I can't believe people still think crypto is a good idea there's also very little demand (as evidenced by this thread) no one wants a crypto game.

cringggeee.

vcamdths26ei.png
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    VelletyVellety Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Please no, this has been tested so many times already and it always fails.
    Besides, it tends to result in very predatory behaviour where the rich exploit the poor.

I also just personally feel like real money should have nothing to do with gaming, it puts unnecessary "pressure" and makes it feel like a job more than well.. a game.
  • Options
    TacquitoTacquito Member
    edited December 2022
    Atama wrote: »
    The whole industry is done.

669vkcpckljf.gif
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One

No crypto, no block chain. They are both scams and pollute everything they touch.

So no
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    It's cool that you're considering the potential for earning crypto tokens while playing the game. With all the advancements in blockchain technology, it's definitely something that could be possible. From personal experience, I spend a lot of time playing my favorite MMO, and if I could get paid for doing so, it would be amazing.
    Another possible solution is to allow players to earn in-game currency through in-game activities such as completing quests, winning battles, etc.
    In the meantime, Forex trading sessions in South Africa time are a great way to make money for real money.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2023
    It's cool that you're considering the potential for earning crypto tokens while playing the game. With all the advancements in blockchain technology, it's definitely something that could be possible. From personal experience, I spend a lot of time playing my favorite MMO, and if I could get paid for doing so, it would be amazing.

@JosephDavidsona Nobody is considering that, this will never be in AoC they already talked about it RMT will not be in the game they are completely against it. Big No.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    I pray to every God and Demon in all realms of Existence that they don't think of anything like this. It's a game. "Earning" so the reward for the things you do in the game is the fun experience for you as the player and character progression in the game. There is no value in handing out some tokens to players but it is unnecessary expenses for the devs.

I think it's sad enough that some people can't sit down to game anymore without trying to make it earn them money.

Absolute No, if they do it I hope there are servers without that kind of BS so all the people who can't be bothered to just enjoy a game won't be there.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    I've played RuneScape since its release in 2007, still do. Before crypto and bitcoin came into the spotlight, the open market was the exception. a player driven market, where thousands of players would be scammed or not have to play the game to acquire quest material/ items. It quickly became a p2w game. You could acquire the most valuable items by finding a lucrative loophole within the game. At first it was luring people into the Wildy, then duping, bot farming, people even got creative and created entire replica websites. Then came crypto currency, Runescape with its open world trade was a hallmark of opportunity for every Russian, Asian and Indian crypto farming Simp to infect the game with bots, scams and real currency, completely destroying the economy. Leading a widely addictive and enjoyable mmo that helped carve a path for mmo's today into the ground. Ashes is for the true mmo fans, not those trying to make a profit and creating economical disdain. You want to make a profit by playing your favorite mmo, i get it, it would be a dream, but the reality is, with an open market, it's only a matter of time before problems like the ones i listed above arise, and with crypto farming, it's just impossible to separate the two from affecting the dynamics and mechanics of how the game should be played. you'll not only affect the company itself, but the player base as well. AOE will have to address these issues, before release or after release, because they're inevitable.
  • Options
    superhero6785superhero6785 Member
    edited January 2023

If you want to let your computer run to mine cryptocurrency, you don't need to play an MMO to do so. Just mine crypto in the background on your own. If you think earning crypto by simply playing an MMO can in some way become your job, then you're misinformed about how cryptocurrency mining actually happens. If you want to earn things in-game that you can sell for real money to pay your bills in real life - well that's called "RMT" (Real Money Transactions) and that is a big No-No in non pay-to-win games, because while you're earning a living selling in game items, someone else is paying to get ahead by buying in game items.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    arsnn wrote: »
    Nah, lets not incentivize RMT, botting and pay to win.
    Crypto has no place in MMORPGs

Couldn't agree more.

Doesn't mean you can't use crypto to enrich yourself and your friends and family, thus creating more time to be able to play AoC. 😉

ob4olqinudwv.png

discord.gg/pFCdaWM - Building a community across multiple games,
    including Ashes of Creation! Looking for members of all kinds to really pour
    our all into the Alpha 2, Betas, and then launch.
  • Options
    God no, please keep the horrible ideas out, especially related to adding crypto (scam) to this game.
  • Options
    Since this thread is being zombie’d. Crypto was a fake hype train and quite a scam. It won’t take over regular currency during our lifetime.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    please let this die... ohhh.. wait...
  • Options
    So, RMT is pay2win. Okay. That means if someone can spend a lot of time in the game compared to others, that's also RMT. That's t2w - time2win.
    P.S. I mean RMT without bots.
  • Options
    Pro Slavery? really?

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    lexxxa wrote: »
    So, RMT is pay2win. Okay. That means if someone can spend a lot of time in the game compared to others, that's also RMT. That's t2w - time2win.
    P.S. I mean RMT without bots.

Real Money Transactions require money, not time.

Time2win - as you put it - is literally the point of an MMORPG.