Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Mushrooms ...

I saw the stream of 3 days ago , rly awesome ... until i saw this xD .. tall muchrooms that use the smash attack in a way that not even a drunk person is able to do... just kidding ..
Me and other people, and many others i think, agree with the fact that the mushroom animation is pretty bad. It doesn't feel natural and fluid.. and it doesn't make any sense. It's extremely uncreative. I hope it's just an animation made for some test ..
A mushroom like this should attack using spores, gas, poison ... roots. Not head smash ... it's ridicolous. How a fungus can deal damage to an armored hero with just some fluffy attacks.. Hope you change that... :smile:
Also he can cast some sleep magic ... if you want him to be able to attack like an human just give it hands, eyes .. legs and some thorn or horns . To make it more realistic, logic and immersive.
The legs are too small and his balance when attack it's a miracle.
At the end it's not bad , but not good neighter. For being a smash attack made by a fungus is rly rly good, but the idea doesn't work for me.
It need to be more fungus like.

thz ...

if it is just for demonstration it's a waste of time... make it appear as intended for the release. :smile:
«1

Comments

  • Medrash wrote: »
    I saw the stream of 3 days ago , rly awesome ... until i saw this xD .. tall muchrooms that use the smash attack in a way that not even a drunk person is able to do... just kidding ..
    Me and other people, and many others i think, agree with the fact that the mushroom animation is pretty bad. It doesn't feel natural and fluid.. and it doesn't make any sense. It's extremely uncreative. I hope it's just an animation made for some test ..
    A mushroom like this should attack using spores, gas, poison ... roots. Not head smash ... it's ridicolous. How a fungus can deal damage to an armored hero with just some fluffy attacks.. Hope you change that... :smile:
    Also he can cast some sleep magic ... if you want him to be able to attack like an human just give it hands, eyes .. legs and some thorn or horns . To make it more realistic, logic and immersive.
    The legs are too small and his balance when attack it's a miracle.
    At the end it's not bad , but not good neighter. For being a smash attack made by a fungus is rly rly good, but the idea doesn't work for me.
    It need to be more fungus like.

    thz ...

    if it is just for demonstration it's a waste of time... make it appear as intended for the release. :smile:

    It's just a trash mob out in the world, my dude... not a mushroom boss. Maybe if it were a boss then some of the things you mentioned (spores, gas, poison, roots, etc.) could be used. I personally enjoyed the mushroom attack animations but like Steven has mentioned many times, what we see in pre-alpha are not set in stone and may change over time.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • We are making a monster like a mushroom! Yea ... just make him smash peoples :tongue: . You can be more creative guys , for sure.
  • @Samson

    Boss or not it still a mushroom . Each enemy needs the same care and game design attention.
    A boss doesn't change his nature and way to act, it makes him just more powerfull and complex.

    Do you like the idea of a sea turtle with fire fang and fire breath? .. no? right .. but we will make the boss right .. with water breath .
  • So your mad he can head but not cast magic like a Pokémon?? This is a lvl 8-10 mob correct.... just out in the world..... seems like complaining just for the sake of complaining honestly
  • MedrashMedrash Member
    edited August 2020
    @Daedrik45
    Daedrik45 wrote: »
    So your mad he can head but not cast magic like a Pokémon?? This is a lvl 8-10 mob correct.... just out in the world..... seems like complaining just for the sake of complaining honestly

    do you prefer a mushroom that use head attacks or one with a proper design , that uses roots and cloud of spores? After 5 mobs that use the same head attack do you feel amused and satisfied? .. or just bored? Doing everytime the same rotation of spells do you feel happy or bored? killing only head smashers do you feel like you are playing a game , with strategy and variety involved or not.. i like to see many different enemies and apply different strategy to it , generally playing a game.
    Are my complaining not well founded?
  • Imagine getting out played by a Level 1 Mob @ level 10. Using sleep magic on you then casting Planetary Devastation while you're asleep to 1 hit u.

    I'd love to see it.
  • MedrashMedrash Member
    edited August 2020
    @TheLegend27
    Imagine getting out played by a Level 1 Mob @ level 10. Using sleep magic on you then casting Planetary Devastation while you're asleep to 1 hit u.

    I'd love to see it.

    I don't get your point xD i invite you to be more specific an coherent with the theme of my discussion. ;)
    Anyway ... i would be amazing!!! Fungus the noob killer and destroyer of worlds. He is the real threat of the planet ... the one who destroyed Verra thousands of years ago xD lol
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2020
    Medrash wrote: »
    do you prefer a mushroom that use head attacks or one with a proper design , that uses roots
    Medrash wrote: »
    A mushroom like this should attack using spores, gas, poison ... roots.
    With over 50,000 mushroom species known and named, I think it is fair enough that at least one of them be hardy enough to be able to smash you.

    That said, I do agree that a spore attack (not a gas attack) should appear on a number of different types of mushroom based mobs.

    I would also like to see a form of CC used on some of these mobs that acts like a hallucinogen. Basically, with the variety of mushrooms we have in our world, if mushrooms are going to be a mob type in Ashes, they should be widely varied as well, in many different ways.

    However, with that 50,000 mushroom species that we have, the one thing they all have in common (one of the very few things they all have in common), is that they do not have roots. This would be significantly worse than a smash attack.

    If a mushroom mob has a root attack, it is no longer a mushroom.
  • What does a giant mushroom have? A giant cap why couldn’t it attack with a smash, the idea is fine.

    Sure the animation is clunky but it’s pre alpha they have stated MANY times that animations are still in first pass, they only have the basics for the player character atm I doubt that much has gone into the mobs.

    It is a FANTASY mmorpg, it doesn’t need to be realistic and maybe later down the line they will have a mushroom mob that does have a spore attack but would the animation for a spore attack be that exciting to see over and over again as you grind the mob? “Oh look it’s shaking again, yep there’s a cloud of spores that damage me for some reason”
  • @Noaani

    Thanz you xD yes i would rly like to get different mushrooms with different abilities. Then i hope there will be only 1 into the 50.000 different species that will be drunk enough to use head smashes.
    Maybe 1 can have some gas inside too xD rly why not gas haha.
    I think that the "smash" movement should act as an attack to put the spores on you, and not just for rough physical damage.

    The mushroom root is actually called mycelium and it is pretty similar to a root sometimes.

    https : //upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f6/Mushroom%27s_roots_%28myc%C3%A9lium%29.jpg

    https : //www.mushroomthejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/rhizomorphs-rocky-253x400.jpg
  • MedrashMedrash Member
    edited August 2020
    @KeybladerH
    KeybladerH wrote: »
    What does a giant mushroom have? A giant cap why couldn’t it attack with a smash, the idea is fine.

    Sure the animation is clunky but it’s pre alpha they have stated MANY times that animations are still in first pass, they only have the basics for the player character atm I doubt that much has gone into the mobs.

    It is a FANTASY mmorpg, it doesn’t need to be realistic and maybe later down the line they will have a mushroom mob that does have a spore attack but would the animation for a spore attack be that exciting to see over and over again as you grind the mob? “Oh look it’s shaking again, yep there’s a cloud of spores that damage me for some reason”

    The animation is pretty fine to me.
    The realism is one of the most important things into a fantasy world, everything need to have a sense and feel real and coherent.
    A wolf that does less damage of a mushroom is not that immersive.
    Mushrooms have poison and spores to use, this is their identity. Your statement makes no sense , i don't think that the only mob in the game is a mushroom. Yes it will be more fun and exciting to see a different attack sometimes, instead of listening the same minecraft "ouch" sound for all the mobs .. what i mean is that i don't find that much funny and exiting to have all mobs to the same smash attack over and over again.
    If you do just don't fight mushrooms and follow your personal fetish then ...
    Oh look ... it's shaking again , yep there's a smash attack xD that damage you for some reasons lol . Actually a cloud of spores and poison can kill you pretty easly in the real world .. i don't get you why you don't see the danger in that. Maybe you are just used to bad games with poor game design . Your statement doesn't make sense, what bothers you about my discussion?

    Is a little blink, when he hits you, so much better of a little cloud of spores? why? try to explain me why you think is better the smash attack.
    A wolf have claws and fangs, he is fast. The mushroom is slow and fluffy.

    immagine a wolf doing head smashes and tail swings ... instead of bites and scratches. It seems a bit dumb xD tail swings mm so soft
  • Personal opinion is that I like how it is, I feel like that points are trying to make the mushrooms very "Realistic" in their mechanics, which I'm not opposed to if it happens. But for me the thing to keep in mind is that this is a fantasy world and these are... magic mushrooms ( :wink: sorry couldn't resist ) so for all we know their mushroom caps harden or somethign when going in for an update and there balance is part of their magic. I'm not sure haha, but my main point is that I have no problem how it is but no complaints against your ideas too much either. :smile:
  • CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    These are low level trash mobs. I can understand your argument for a medium to high level mob, but for a level 4 mushroom? Who gives a shit.
  • I’m not saying it’s better I’m saying it’s fine.

    I disagree with you wholeheartedly that fantasy needs realism, otherwise why is it fantasy?

    I agree poisonous spores will damage you and are dangerous, I must have missed the part in your op where you stated poisonous spores and not spore, gas, poison as separate things my bad

    Why are you assuming that all mobs will have a smash attack? They’ve shown off quite a few mobs and most haven’t been smashes.

    Also I’m gonna assume the rudeness of your statement towards me and my “fetish” is the language barrier I’ve come to expect from your posts and not insulting me for no reason because I don’t agree with you that the smash is a problem.

    Also my statement makes perfect sense and was actually well explained, I have no problem with the smash attack. Does that clear things up?
  • @CaptnChuck
    CaptnChuck wrote: »
    These are low level trash mobs. I can understand your argument for a medium to high level mob, but for a level 4 mushroom? Who gives a shit.

    I already explained that , when you are lvl 4 the thing will matter lol. And the level of a npc doesn't change his identity. Just his power and complexity.
    If you don't care about low level then let's make all grey points without animation .. who cares.

    Anyway i don't think it's bad or it needs an urgent change .. it's a minor problem that prevernt the game to be awesome. The animation is well made. ;)
  • MedrashMedrash Member
    edited August 2020
    @KeybladerH

    I never insulted you in any way possible ... having a fetish means you like something more, it's not a bad thing. Like who have the fetish for foots, or who have the fetish for cakes.

    If you call me a rude boy it means you already have a rude attitude to me without any motivation or me beeing rude. So maybe calm down.

    I also said the same as you, the animation is well done and overall is a fine job .. maybe a 5/10 for me. So we agree, i just want it to be a 7/10 at last.

    So far i have seen almost only smash and bite attacks by mobs, of course i need to check more videos.
    Your post don't make sense for me becouse it sais that adding variety to the game will make everything appear the same and boring. You said that fighting only against with mobs with poison attacks is boring, and that to me doesn't make too much sense. So i assumed you have a fetish for that type of attack , what's the problem? Are you offended by that? Sry, i didn't want to offend you...
    I have a fetish for Feral Druids! ... grrr and ... ..draenei girls .. pretty sexy .. right? xD
  • MedrashMedrash Member
    edited August 2020
    @KeybladerH

    Do you know why a good film has a credible story? Actors that act in the most natural and realistic way possible? Becouse it help the people immersion, the people is more invested in something fake and invented if it appears realistic. When you look a fake plant into a video game do you like more a realistic one or a badly painted one?
    Realism makes us get orgasms in videogames, we want that .. real relations , real combats etc. So the fantasy need to be realistic to reach our minds and be interesting. ;)

    A magic trick works when it seems real
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Medrash wrote: »
    The mushroom root is actually called mycelium and it is pretty similar to a root sometimes.
    The mycelium is the mycelium. You asked for roots, not mycelium. Mushrooms do not have roots.

    Also, not all mushrooms have mycelium, nor do they all have spores.

    As I said, I'd like to see some mushrooms with spore based attacks, but actual real mushrooms are so varied that there is no reason to assume that a mushroom mob couldn't have a smash attack.

    They "could" have a mycelium attack of sorts as well, but I personally think that such an attack would be better left for a plant based mob type (based on a tree, ideally), rather than a mushroom based mob.

  • I also didnt like mushrooms as mobs
  • @Noaani

    I will allow only smash attacks with some spore or poison effects xD that's all.
    Or maybe a mushroom with sharp teeth and thorns ... anyway i want to point out that it is not a mushroom technically, but a mob .. or animal with the mushroom appearance ... it has legs, why he can't get some roots or improved mycelium in a fantasy world?
    There are 50.000 species , but if they appear all the same they are only 1 specie at the end. If one of them is designed to make a smash attack appear more realistic and effective then it's all right.

    Immagine a rose plant that uses head smash attacks dude ... design under 0 xD .. but if it has a mouth with teeths hidden in the flower then it's 10/10. :tongue:
  • MedrashMedrash Member
    edited August 2020
    @Mommie
    Mommie wrote: »
    I also didnt like mushrooms as mobs

    Yea they are better in pans , fried or into soups .. mm . mushrooms as food is the best right? Or you also don't like them as a food either?
    just kidding, yes at the end i don't find them so special or good, personally i don't like it too much neither... as a mob
  • LyiatLyiat Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Medrash wrote: »
    We are making a monster like a mushroom! Yea ... just make him smash peoples :tongue: . You can be more creative guys , for sure.

    "Intrepid, be more creative and make mushrooms attack people like mushrooms do in every other game instead of something different! Because that's what creativity is! Sticking to the same molds!"

    Honestly man, what? Frankly anyone who has played Dark Souls and remembers the mushroom people will be happy to see another *punchy* mushroom.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It is a living mushroom. Dont expect him to do flips.
    I would be happy if they had a spore attack or constant AoE.
    roaaztC.gif
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2020
    Oh boy, it's another complaint about animations when the game is years from release. Barely any of the animations you actually see are complete, we're not even in alpha 1 yet.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Why can't the mushroom just bash people with its head?
    What you consider 'fungus-like' isn't any more correct or immersive than anybody else's idea. There's no problem of substance here beyond your personal disconnect with the concept of a mushroom attacking somebody in that way.
  • Ya, I am uncomfortable with the mushroom mob, to. I accept corruption mutated these fungi, but if that's the case, give it arms? Sporing is better, imo. Game breaking? not really, just makes me cringe.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    A spore defense on mushroom would be quite interesting, actually.

    Every time it takes physical damage, it releases spores.
  • All I want is to smash mushrooms on day #1.
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

    I heard a bird ♫
  • @Lyiat
    Lyiat wrote: »
    Medrash wrote: »
    We are making a monster like a mushroom! Yea ... just make him smash peoples :tongue: . You can be more creative guys , for sure.

    "Intrepid, be more creative and make mushrooms attack people like mushrooms do in every other game instead of something different! Because that's what creativity is! Sticking to the same molds!"

    Honestly man, what? Frankly anyone who has played Dark Souls and remembers the mushroom people will be happy to see another *punchy* mushroom.

    Yea sure, do you know how weak is a muchroom in dark soul, they were pretty boring , anyway that's not the point . It's ok to have easy mobs. The difference is pretty clear, they are humanoids with eyes, legs, hands, arms and a full body. They are well designed for sure ... and they never do a "hat smash" xD .

    It's not my o your problem if they designed an already existing mob with an already designed and easy set of skills. When you see a wolf you cannot give to him a sword just to be creative , unique or different xD (unless it's a dark souls boss), so now let's give some pink skirt to all the mobs of the forest , it's creative! yeaaa xD

    You can be creative for sure, but you always need to follow a concept and design , creativity is not randomness.
  • @Talents
    Talents wrote: »
    Oh boy, it's another complaint about animations when the game is years from release. Barely any of the animations you actually see are complete, we're not even in alpha 1 yet.

    Exactly, we have years to fix things, better to prevent.
    I didn't see any uncompleated animation, the mushroom animation it's done, sure they will improve it and add some extra, probably. But i criticize a finished animation. the "cap/hat smash" .
    If the use the same animation or similar to throw and drop spores it will be fine in my eyes.

    Anyway nobody want to waste time into a bad animation, so if they made it then problably it will be present in the release... unless why making it.
Sign In or Register to comment.