Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Character Weight - A New Idea

CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
edited September 2020 in General Discussion
So I made a post about this earlier, and both sides had some compelling arguments. You can check out the discussion here.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/46323/should-character-weight-be-a-thing-in-aoc

Towards the end of the discussion, I realized that letting character weight affect jump/roll distance was probably going to cause a lot of issues.

But what if character weight impacted your jump/roll speed instead? What if you jumped/rolled the same distance, but you did so at moderately different speeds, based on the type of gear that you're wearing?

I'm talking something like a 15-20% difference between each gear type. So light armor will be 15-20% faster than medium armor, and 30-40% faster than heavy armor.

Comments

• Options
    So, what do you guys think now? Is this better than reducing jump/roll distance?
  • Options
    How come 40 people view a post and say absolutely nothing lol?
  • Options
    Much better. It makes sense both in terms of effect and scale. I would personally decrease the difference between Medium and Light Armor, while increase Chain and Plate. Something like this:

Light = -10%
    Medium = +/- 0%
    Chain = + 15%
    Plate = + 40 %

Tanks are there to Tank the Damage. This would also reinforce the position of a Leather/Chain Wearing Evasion tank (Tank/Rogue)
    CaptnChuck wrote: »
    How come 40 people view a post and say absolutely nothing lol?

Most people either haven't thought about it or don't have an opinion on it.

You can be damn sure, that people who are against the Idea would be ready to state so in the comments. View without Comment either approves of the idea or simply wouldn't mind if that was in the game.

What's your opinion on the effect of inventory weight? Should people with a 100% full inventory be affected by that in a minor way while on foot? It certainly adds into the whole Risk.vs Reward interaction.

Hauling a full inventory of materials back into town would be a bit riskier as you might be in a slight disadvantage compared to the time you haul a 50% filled inventory.

That would also inhibit a problem Crowfall is facing currently. All the loot is given to the stealth class, since they are the most secure and have means of getting away. This way splitting the loot between all the people in the group would be reinforced.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    Much better. It makes sense both in terms of effect and scale. I would personally decrease the difference between Medium and Light Armor, while increase Chain and Plate. Something like this:

Light = -10%
    Medium = +/- 0%
    Chain = + 15%
    Plate = + 40 %

We only have 3 types of armor as far as I remember. Light, medium, and heavy armor. I think there should be a similar difference between different gear types, as then it would be a lot easier to balance. So 15-20% diff. between each gear type. I think 30-40% is the max speed difference that should exist between light and heavy gear, as otherwise people will avoid plate gear entirely.
    Warth wrote: »

What's your opinion on the effect of inventory weight? Should people with a 100% full inventory be affected by that in a minor way while on foot? It certainly adds into the whole Risk.vs Reward interaction.

Hauling a full inventory of materials back into town would be a bit riskier as you might be in a slight disadvantage compared to the time you haul a 50% filled inventory.

That would also inhibit a problem Crowfall is facing currently. All the loot is given to the stealth class, since they are the most secure and have means of getting away. This way splitting the loot between all the people in the group would be reinforced.

I don't think so. I think having inventory weight affect your speed is just going to be an annoyance, as players will be forced to clear their inventories, constantly, before a fight. Also, if you decide to participate in random PvP events, you will be at an inherent disadvantage simply because you have more items than the other players. I think game-play should take precedence over reality in this situation.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't think so. I think having inventory weight affect your speed is just going to be an annoyance, as players will be forced to clear their inventories, constantly, before a fight. Also, if you decide to participate in random PvP events, you will be at an inherent disadvantage simply because you have more items than the other players. I think game-play should take precedence over reality in this situation.
    I think that the result might be that mules will be used more. Considering that using a mule identifies you as a loot pinata, giving an additional reason for using mules is interesting.

• Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Can't say for sure until I got to test it but right now I'd probably be ok with either one.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I think that the result might be that mules will be used more. Considering that using a mule identifies you as a loot pinata, giving an additional reason for using mules is interesting.

That could make it more interesting I guess. But it will be something that requires a lot of testing, as if implemented poorly, it will just turn into an annoying mechanic.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I disagree with being penalized for being a tank. Weight systems are not fun. Having to micromanage your weight doesn't add to anything positive for players and it's bad enough already having to micro-manage your bags. I like the idea of a mule that follows you and allows additional storage space, lootable upon death. That would add an additional element of risk vs reward.

Having a weight system based on light/medium/heavy armor would cause annoyances at all levels of the game.

Traveling to a dungeon? ....wait for me, I am a tank.

Moving around town working on crafting? Hold on let me put on light gear real quick so I can run faster.

Group roaming PvP? Sorry, don't need a tank you will just slow us down.

Picking up adds so they don't murder your cleric? Yeah he died, you couldn't get into melee range cause you're too fat.

Run speed should be all the same for every class and should be increased based on talents/abilities. This is fair and this is fun without any potential negativity. Plus it makes balancing so much easier for the development team.
  • Options
    KHRONUS wrote: »
    I disagree with being penalized for being a tank. Weight systems are not fun. Having to micromanage your weight doesn't add to anything positive for players and it's bad enough already having to micro-manage your bags. I like the idea of a mule that follows you and allows additional storage space, lootable upon death. That would add an additional element of risk vs reward.

Having a weight system based on light/medium/heavy armor would cause annoyances at all levels of the game.

Traveling to a dungeon? ....wait for me, I am a tank.

Moving around town working on crafting? Hold on let me put on light gear real quick so I can run faster.

Group roaming PvP? Sorry, don't need a tank you will just slow us down.

Picking up adds so they don't murder your cleric? Yeah he died, you couldn't get into melee range cause you're too fat.

Run speed should be all the same for every class and should be increased based on talents/abilities. This is fair and this is fun without any potential negativity. Plus it makes balancing so much easier for the development team.

Nobody is talking about movement speed, that's the whole point.
    It would literally just reducing the Dodge Speed of tanks and increase the Dodge speed of lightweight classes.
    It would just reinforce the advantages of either archetype and also allows them to reduce the tankiness of lightweight classes and increase the tankiness of heavyweight classes. (or gear)

@KHRONUS
  • Options
    @KHRONUS

I only mentioned jump/roll speed. Not movement speed.
  • Options
    ZeekMysticZeekMystic Member
    edited September 2020
    Okay I commented on your previous post and I’ll be honest I didn’t comment on this one at first because I thought it was funny that people were looking and you were the only one commenting on it.

Yes I know that’s evil and I’m sorry.

As much as I friggin HATE weight systems in games, I can see where you’re coming from and do think it would add to the whole evasion tanking in my mind and as a plate wielding sword and board tank I won’t be doing a lot of dodging anyway.

But help me out here what is the weight on jump speeds doing? Is it the start up of a jump? Is it the landing? Surely it’s not moving through the air slower because the added weight would bring you to the ground quicker. Additionally what purpose is this serving apart from to hinder you? With dodging and movement speed I kinda get the idea (I don’t like it in most games but I get it) what is the purpose of jumping slower accept to hold up your party in a dungeon?

I’m genuinely curios, not trying to be a dick
  • Options
    KeybladerH wrote: »
    Okay I commented on your previous post and I’ll be honest I didn’t comment on this one at first because I thought it was funny that people were looking and you were the only one commenting on it.

:|
    KeybladerH wrote: »

But help me out here what is the weight on jump speeds doing? Is it the start up of a jump? Is it the landing? Surely it’s not moving through the air slower because the added weight would bring you to the ground quicker. Additionally what purpose is this serving apart from to hinder you? With dodging and movement speed I kinda get the idea (I don’t like it in most games but I get it) what is the purpose of jumping slower accept to hold up your party in a dungeon?

I’m genuinely curios, not trying to be a dick

Its the whole animation. Not at the start of a jump, or the landing. The purpose of this is to add weight to your character. You feel like a tank when you're wearing heavy armor.

I DO NOT want it to affect movement speed. That will be a problem. I just want it to affect jump/roll speed; more so roll speed than jump speed.

• Options
    SylvanarSylvanar Member
    edited September 2020
    I disagree with this because:
    - It would seem more like a slow-mo version of whatever action it gets implemented into as the animation would be slower rather than the distance covered.
    - Would require quite a bit of testing.
    - Might feel annoying after the novelty of the action wears off...maybe.

The upside I see is:
    - Playing tanks would feel more immersive.
    - Skilled light armor classes like rogue, ranger, etc would be able to do hit and run tactics on tanks in PvP.

Heh, okay this might make PvP more fun... I dont know if this has already been done in some other MMO. If yes, can anyone explain what it was like?
    "Suffer in silence"
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @Sylvanar

I don't know about MMOs, but man was it awesome in Dark Souls.
  • Options
    @CaptnChuck

I have only ever played WoW, but just thinking about harassing some plate armoured tank by jumping in, stun, backstab and then dodge out of his radius again and again... ahh my inner sadist revels.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • Options
    Yokai TheaterYokai Theater Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    just for some clarification/ history back in 2017 it was originally 4 types of armor cloth, Leather, Chain, and Plate but around late 2018 all we ever would hear about is the standard Light, Medium, and Heavy

As for armor and character weight affecting jump/roll (dodge) speed, distance, and animation this is a common thing you see in survival game combat and RPGs with more "interactive" combat (like Witcher 3 or literally any Souls like game) and while it sounds good and helps diversify play styles in a game that lets any class wear any armor, It more often than not comes down to a mix match of different types of armor like 2 heavy and 3 light (or something, this is just an example) so you get the light armor roll but with good armor
  • Options
    just for some clarification/ history back in 2017 it was originally 4 types of armor cloth, Leather, Chain, and Plate but around late 2018 all we ever would hear about is the standard Light, Medium, and Heavy

As for armor and character weight affecting jump/roll (dodge) speed, distance, and animation this is a common thing you see in survival game combat and RPGs with more "interactive" combat (like Witcher 3 or literally any Souls like game) and while it sounds good and helps diversify play styles in a game that lets any class wear any armor, It more often than not comes down to a mix match of different types of armor like 2 heavy and 3 light (or something, this is just an example) so you get the light armor roll but with good armor

Yea...that makes sense. So it wouldn't really matter anyways.
  • Options

Yea...that makes sense. So it wouldn't really matter anyways.