Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The AOC effect

I 100% believe that ashes of creation releasing there alpha 1 this year With no NdA influenced blizzard to release shadowlands in October instead of November or December. I believe this will be a mistake on blizzards part. So score one for the good guys 👍

Comments

• Options
    It also likely influenced New World to panic and rush trying to copy content from AoC and put their own release off.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »
    It also likely influenced New World to panic and rush trying to copy content from AoC and put their own release off.

I get that feeling too. New World reviews are out and people aren't feeling it, at least not from the youtubers I watch. There's some aspects to the game that seem neat, but overall it looks like Guild Wars 2 V2. Some big members of their team came from GW2, so that influenced the look, but they will not replicate what AoC has. Good thing that people who play MMO's are quick to jump around to try a new big MMO, so there is something for everyone to try.
  • Options
    @Kproxy definitely agree, and while I did like GW2 New world is honestly just a pretty shell. No depth, no heart, and I have a feeling they are trying to delay more to try to snag more of AoC node concepts to incorporate in their settlements.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    This is fairly normal regardless of how popular the MMO is coming out. Going back to Warhammer Online you could see them moving patches and expansions around to compete.
  • Options
    Shadowlands will be an unfinished disappointment anyway. Intrepid has need not to worry :)
  • Options
    I actually have a theory that intrepid made their estimate for finishing AoC much earlier than intended on purpose so these other games like Shadowlands and New World panic and attempt to meet it, and then AoC just keeps developing for another year while the other games release and arent able to pull content from AoC until they release an expansion or something.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    New World looks like a great "power" game. I just hope the abilities go along with the flow of combat when released. The difficulty looks to too discontinuous.
  • Options
    Kproxy wrote: »
    Dolyem wrote: »

I get that feeling too. New World reviews are out and people aren't feeling it, at least not from the youtubers I watch. There's some aspects to the game that seem neat, but overall it looks like Guild Wars 2 V2. Some big members of their team came from GW2, so that influenced the look, but they will not replicate what AoC has. Good thing that people who play MMO's are quick to jump around to try a new big MMO, so there is something for everyone to try.

What about New World is similar to GW2?
  • Options
    Red_TempestRed_Tempest Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I wouldn't call AoC competition for wow. There are some fundamentally different mindsets between the games. Wow's real competitor is probably ff14 and they definitely hadn't been ready to do much when 5.3 dropped.

Now, dropping SL at the end of october could position them to drop 9.1 around the time square is releasing 5.4 for shadowbringers. They've done that before but they really only typically try to match the games that they consider threats.

AoC is not likely to impact them too heavily as many of the core players in wow probably wouldn't be super interested, especially when AoC is only doing an alpha and is at least a year or more from release.
  • Options
    New World endgame content is pretty non existent.
    The Siege mechanic is open for grieving.
    Questing is to repeatedly kill 20 of this and return.
    Crafting needs mats that are only randomly optained from the griend spots in the open world.
    There is no reason for PVP flagging.
    Even the PVP Quests dont need you to do PVP but to do PVE while beeing flagged.

Personally i refunded my Pre order on steam after they announced the siege changes.
    Amazon makes with new world the same problem all the other MMOs made the past 15 years.
    Trying to carter to Everyone.
    The game is trying to make as much money as possible.
    There are also rumors of it beeing a test for the Lord of the Rings MMO.

So no.... AoC has nothing to fear from NW.
    As for Shadowlands... AoC carters to a different crowd then WoW does.
    AoC will also be in deverlopement for quit some time.

I am more wondering if AoC will release before Crowfall and Camelot Unchained.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    Xenotor wrote: »
    New World endgame content is pretty non existent.
    The Siege mechanic is open for grieving.
    Questing is to repeatedly kill 20 of this and return.
    Crafting needs mats that are only randomly optained from the griend spots in the open world.
    There is no reason for PVP flagging.
    Even the PVP Quests dont need you to do PVP but to do PVE while beeing flagged.

Personally i refunded my Pre order on steam after they announced the siege changes.
    Amazon makes with new world the same problem all the other MMOs made the past 15 years.
    Trying to carter to Everyone.
    The game is trying to make as much money as possible.
    There are also rumors of it beeing a test for the Lord of the Rings MMO.

So no.... AoC has nothing to fear from NW.
    As for Shadowlands... AoC carters to a different crowd then WoW does.
    AoC will also be in deverlopement for quit some time.

I am more wondering if AoC will release before Crowfall and Camelot Unchained.

I have a feeling CU will be in development hell for awhile. I learned "It was already in development" like 5 years ago from buddies and I can't say they have made a ton of progress since then in my eyes.

It would be amazing to play an RvR game that has an extensive PvP progression path and where it's possible for 8 people to kill 100 again, that would be really fun.