Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Let's Talk] Favorite Aspect of MMO's and What You Hope to See in Ashes!

2»

Comments

• Options
    My personal opinion in this order:
    1. Exploration, Mystery, Riddles, Lore! ( I like wandering around and finding stuff to do by stumbling over it... but I like it if it is heavily story related... like the offline elder scrolls series. but i dont like beeing left alone without a hint in a story i dont know like in black desert....)
    2. Combat, Raids, PVP ( action combat system so its more your skill then your gear that wins the fight. I like when bosses have mechanics that are hard to counter and can only be beaten with brainpower)
    3. Character progression, level and mastery system ( look at the glorious passive skill tree of path of exile and mybe even a similar skill system + a satisfying feel about progressing with your character independantly from the story.)
    4. Inventory system where u are not forced to either pay real money or have to play for years to get the cashshop currency to unlock all space u need.... + a good bank/storage system!
    5. the crafting system i would like to see not like in WoW where u just stand near the smelter and rub your hands listening to it closely... maybe bledning it in the raiding exploration and pvp as I mention in my other post with HIDE functions via crafted material and stuff.

If u are interested in that topic, I would be very pleased to see as many opinions on it as possible:
    <a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/solo-experience-character-creation-and-progressionwhat-about-goldsellers/" target="_blank">Solo experience, character creation and progression?What about Goldsellers?!?</a>

Nice topic btw!
  • Options
    Things I'd like to see/not see in no particular order:

1) That all classes are needed not just some. Move beyond the iron triangle of warrior, healer, crowd control.
    2) Balanced PvP which doesn't effect PvE.
    3) Skilled raids not just DPS on static mobs.
    4) Good reliable loot tables so you don't have to do the same dungeon 40 times to get one item.
    5) Death that matters, not just oh well I've died again who cares. I've played games with XP loss/debt/amour damage. Naked corpse runs are difficult but if you are not a utility class they can be impossible to dangerous without help. Personally I prefer graveyards. I'm in two minds about XP loss vs XP debt its tough to de level during a raid and be unable to put on any of your armour.
    6) An interesting crafting system (thinking of Star Wars Galaxies pre nerf)
    7) A map that gradually appears during exploration so its not like you have an instant satellite picture when you 'zone in'.
    8) Mobs that don't just stand there and wait for you to kill them. Honestly they've seen you why wouldn't they run off and get their mates.
    9) GM's that actually work for the company and can help if you have a problem. Not outsourced ones that don't have any authority or in game tools to do anything useful.
    10) A good in game guild UI. Lots of tools to help the officers and the leader run the guild, run raids, sort loot etc. This includes in game speech so we don't have to use vent or TS.
    11) On the subject of loot, non class specific loot is better because many people can wear it. I don't like class sets, if something drops and that class isn't on the raid then the whole guild has worked for hours for nothing. I also dislike a system that randomly assigns loot.
    12) GM events.
    13) No in game cash required. I loath pay to win.
    14) Design a system that makes gold sellers obsolete. LOTRO got this about right.
    15) In game housing, EQ2 was awesome you could place anything anywhere. Some people designed some great and weird housing. LOTRO had kill trophies from boss mobs which were great. I loved the unwelcome mat.
    16) Oddly enough I miss 'train to zone' from EQ1. In LOTRO mobs just gave up too easily when they chased you.
    17) The shiny gold ? on the ground in EQ2 which you didn't know what it was until you picked it up. They were random collectables for quests. It was like buried treasure.
    18) No daily repeatable quests. I'd like to avoid grinding on the same quest/dungeon/raid which never changes.
    19) Seasons or weather events like floods. I like a real world that changes.
    20) On a real world, I like NPC's that actually change at night. After all that apple seller wont be selling apples at midnight. This also includes different mobs that come out at night. I'm thinking of Kithicor forest in EQ1. By day mostly a newbie zone at night, all hell breaks loose.
    21) Zones where newbies and higher lvls mix. I liked Oasis in EQ1. It also means that in a few years there wont be 'dead' zones.
    22) I'm not a fan of instanced everything. It stops the interaction between players and makes it more like a solo game. It also takes the fun out of getting places or exploring. Some insta travel is ok like horses but only once you have discovered their location. I think EQ2 had it about right.
    23) Upgrading existing armour or hand me downs. I like giving my old armour to other characters on my account or handing it in with say a gem to upgrade it. Just selling it for pence to a vendor is unsatisfying.
    24) Epic items which are actually epic. I'm thinking of the clicky rez stick in EQ1 for clerics vs the druid scimitar. One was awesome the other, hardly worth the trouble.

Ok that's it for now :)
  • Options
    Personally, my #1 favorite aspect would probably have to be pvp, i love being able to battle vs other players, being able to sharpen my skills as a pvper and having the heart pumping experiences of battling in a very close fight never gets old for me.
  • Options
    Sega got a lot of things right when they made PSU. Leveling of characters and skills, rare item drops and rates, crafting, and co-op that mattered. Put all that into a next gen looking game and you got a winner.
  • Options
    Just a couple quick things regarding harvesting/crafting, would love to see a crafting system similar to Saga of Ryzom where you have the blueprint for a type of item, chest piece/leggings etc. but the stats and final product were based on the materials used to craft it. This led to a diversity of equipment, experimentation by the community and caused crafters to find a niche in that those with skill knew what to mix together to get the best results to meet different needs. Would also like to see some kind of proficiency system where the more you craft/use a particular material the more skilled you are at using it either increasing the efficiency in using materials (less consumed per craft) and/or increasing the potency of the crafted item reflecting an increase in the crafter's skill.

Regarding harvesting, would like something beyond the ok you have picked X herb Y times now you can pick Z herb because your skill level has reached B level. Beating a dead horse again, in Ryzom you had an entire skill tree devoted to harvesting which made sense with the lore and environment. It felt grindy as heck early on but as you progressed you actual felt a sense of accomplishment as your ability to prospect for materials greatly expanded. Its a feeling similar to increasing your character's power and i feel you don't really get that with the generic harvesting that exists in the majority of MMOs.

Just a couple thoughts, thanks!
  • Options
    Crop Farming, Animal Husbandry, and Trade Packs were the best things about ArcheAge. I absolutely loved those systems. I spent almost all my time growing tons of crops, making packs to become rich and crafting.
  • Options
    I love the combination of PvP PvE and community. When a MMO is lacking on one of those I tend to lose interest after awhile.

I think the thing I'd like to see the most is good character development. I want to feel like my character is different from all the other characters out there for one reason or another. I think this is something a lot of MMOs lack at the moment. Even just picking one faction or another adds tons of depth to a MMO world in general.

I also hope to see crafting be a bit more interesting not sure what they could do but crafting has been stale would love to see something new brought to that aspect of mmos.
  • Options
    The only thing I want in this MMO that I can't find anywhere else, except for DnD with my friends, is the feeling that the story is made by me, that I am relevant and my decisions affect the world me and my friends live.

What a glorious feeling it is when we all get together to eat and talk and someone comes up with "Remember when X did Y thing?" and we all laugh and talk about it, since it was a glorious moment for us, we made that adventure worthy, not the Dungeon master, he just made the story up according to our decisions, he decided little about what was going to happen and normally he would listen to our speculations and adjust the way the story flows. What I seek in Ashes of Creation is this feeling, this moment of all my friends talking about something we did together, or even me alone remembering the great moments I had with them. If this game can achieve this I would gratefuly spend a good part of my money on it.
  • Options
    For me, what I look for in an mmo is a good community. It's much more fun to play when there is a good sized player population, and I am able to meet new people all of the time.

I really like when mmo's have multiple different paths to leveling up. Grinding mobs and quests gets boring for me, so having other options available to level are amazing. This also makes me feel like I have more choice as a player. I really thought that Archeage did this really well. I spent more time leveling up from crafting and gathering than I did actually questing. It was a fun way to meet other players too!