Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Can we have a physical charge? One that pushes the enemy.

TacualeonTacualeon Member
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
Place holder charge
Seems tab targeted.
25:58 rip dude :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkwaYLOuw2s&t=1562s

Charger.png

Conqueros blade Longsword class has a rather rewarding physical charge in my opinion.
Min 6:37
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryTepcjVafk

Charge1.png

Seems action targeted. Maybe it plays an animation and add physical force forwards.

Maybe when Intrepid get enough workforce we could add some weight and displacement.
What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    ValicValic Member
    edited October 2020
    YQ0qRah.png

We already got one. Also players will be concrete too so they won't just run "through" them.
    Future mercenary guild owner in Ashes of Creation
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Valic wrote: »
    YQ0qRah.png

We already got one. Also players will be concrete too so they won't just run "through" them.

Someone with more knowledge in UE4 please correct me because I only know the basics.
    But knocks down are a state, being physically pushed is collision.
  • Options
    ValicValic Member
    edited October 2020
    Tacualeon wrote: »
    YQ0qRah.png

Someone with more knowledge in UE4 please correct me because I only know the basics.
    But knocks down are a state, being physically pushed is collision.

2nd part of my statement, players will be "concrete". Meaning even without charge, you can actually walk into someone and maybe push them slightly or they won't move or you won't be able to go through them. Combine this knowledge with the charge ability causing a state and the knowledge that having this aoe as you charge through a crowd, means you'll push players to the side while charging through them as opposed to just starting at Point A and stopping at Point B. In other words.. you can charge forward, not only will players be knocked down as the status, but in order for the tank to aoe continue charging forward... this would imply that yes, players will be pushed aside. If only slightly I imagine.
    Future mercenary guild owner in Ashes of Creation
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Also players will be concrete too so they won't just run "through" them.

If by being concrete you mean having collision then let's displace that actor from the place he is standing.

Knockdown is the lazy-man crow control.
    Trace a trayectory toward your tab targeting, add movement speed to the run animation, and make the enemy 3D model play a knock down animation.

I'm talking about Add Physical Force and using WASD to control the rush during the running with the shield animation.
    After hiting the 3D collision enemy, the enemy models reacts as kicking a ball would react, getting displaced.

IRL people getting rushed react like balls(physics), not like cubes (knock down animation).
    Sports makes such great show/spectacle they use balls/physics and displacemente as the spectacle.
    How sad a tackle can be that the dude just drops instead of losing balance or getting displaced.

We don't need a million displacemente/physics skills, but Charge should be one of the important ones.
    I think we could have a better show for the eyes

Football
    Soccer
    Basketball
    Everything is physics based.

We could have Mages cast and Aoe, Add Inverse Circular force and boom! We have a Gravity Field skill.
    This might requires a bit more and I'm talking too much!
    If you are within the range you get sucked to the middle of the source.

-Charge pushes.
    -The chain pulls.

Physics/displacemente also give 3 dimensions and wide to pvp.
    Pushing enemies to your friends Aoe.
    What do you guys think?
  • Options
    BotBot Member
    Tacualeon wrote: »
    IRL people getting rushed react like balls(physics), not like cubes (knock down animation).
    Sports makes such great show/spectacle they use balls/physics and displacemente as the spectacle.
    How sad a tackle can be that the dude just drops instead of losing balance or getting displaced.

https://youtu.be/Wn9NdHpTWrg?t=37

That actually is how it happens usually. People only move like a ball if they're hit hard and unexpectedly like from the side or behind. Two people engaging each other straight on is going to end up in the stronger one just going right down.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    bot wrote: »
    That actually is how it happens usually. People only move like a ball if they're hit hard and unexpectedly like from the side or behind. Two people engaging each other straight on is going to end up in the stronger one just going right down.

IRL and in that video, there is a lot happening between collision and the receiving actor being down.
    Directional energy and force doesn't dissipate perpendicularly, after momentum there is innertia.

I stand with my posture that is an artistic choice that could make a better spectacle to watch than people rooted in place while a knock down animation plays.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I would assume the "knock down" state is a form of crowd control.

However, since Ashes has full collision, you technically shouldn't need an ability to charge at a player and move them. All you should need to do is run at them.

If the idea of a charge can be accomplished without needing to use up an ability, I think that would be the best option.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Noaani wrote: »
    I would assume the "knock down" state is a form of crowd control.

However, since Ashes has full collision, you technically shouldn't need an ability to charge at a player and move them. All you should need to do is run at them.

Displacement limited only to skills. Easier to balance.
    We need a displacemente charge because that's the type of combat we deserve. Not that knock down state is bad, is that physics in this case delivers a better fantasy and more attractive the eyes.

For what I know:
    1) Collision is when an actor with a 3D components can interact with another in the world.
    Doesn't require NOTHING but to click a box.

2) Physics is the momentum you give to a 3D object through a function. Since you emulate laws of physics (clicking a box too) energy/force transfer from 3d objets to 3d objets.

One animation for knock down gets old fast.
    One animation for being pushed with force, and charging people will always feels powerful because there is a "real" transfer of energy, momentum and innertia.
    Push them down the cliff, inside your friends aoe, far from your healers. To make setups, to destroy enemies coordination.

Knock down will get old fast.