Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gear/Equipment Should Not be Level Locked

2»

Comments

• Options
    Godgear wrote: »
    Instead of levels, I prefer having stat requirements

It makes the levelling completely redundant because without any form of challenge you don't learn anything, and when you can kill a mob instantly just by right-clicking on them once, you have no need to learn what any of your abilities do or how the game works. At that point you might as well get rid of the levelling entirely and start the game at max level.

I agree, and for many other reasons besides just gear. Having the ability to 1-shot everything makes things boring in mmorpg gamestyles. But doing 0 dmg is boring as well; unless theres a major trade off (such as a tank, pulls all agro, does 0 dmg, but takes next to 0 dmg as well).

But when you entirely disregard the leveling process, why not just simply start the game at max level? Honestly? What's the point in even playing the game then? When you look for a new mmorpg, do you look for the ones with the best graphics? Most realistic? Most entertainment value? Biggest fan service? Most explorable world?

Most of these are irrelevant if your game starts with no base. You start out at cap. And the game level of character is dependent entirely on your gear... That makes for a very boring game IMO.

Most of the enjoyment of an MMORPG to me is the journy/leveling process / advancement and growth. None of that 'best gear matters, nothing else' stuff.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Geronimo wrote: »
    @FuryBladeborne I really like this concept:
    Low to mid tier gear will remain relevant as top tier gear will require low and mid tier gear to make it;

I saw your references from ashes101 but I could not find anything official from Steven or intrepid on that.

The data from the official wiki that you linked only talks about enchanting which I think is different than upgrading. Do you know anywhere that Steven or intrepid mentions that?

EDIT:

There is this about deconstructing (to get the raw materials from a completed item to create another item). But that also seems different than upgrading because the weapon name and enchantments, etc. would probably not survive deconstruction while you would expect them to with upgrading.

I think this is a good question for the next Q&A.

The Ashes 101 site is run by the content creator Jahlon. He says that everything he uses comes from sound bites. He has a thread on this forum, https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/42174/you-got-questions-we-got-answers/p1

You can ask him where the sound bite reference is if you like.