Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Bounty Hunters: allow them to hunt Mayors.

KripplinKripplin Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
I understand that Bounty Hunting Corrupt players is the current idea. Now originally that's not exactly a bad idea but it doesn't allow for the best hunting targets. I think that there needs to be a tier of Master level to Bounty hunting that allows them to take missions to hunt Mayors of other nodes. There needs to be a real cat and mouse part to this or it will be a feature that lacks luster. Feel free to contact me if you need more ideas.

Comments

• Options
    I guess we have different definitions on bounty hunters... Here's a refresher and I do not mean to insult with this.

Bounty hunters are private citizens who aid the criminal justice system, working to pursue and apprehend fugitives who have skipped bail or failed to appear for court proceedings. Most bounty hunters operate as independent contractors, typically taking assignments from bail bond agencies.

So basically what you are asking for would not be reasonable for bounty hunters to do. However, The thieves guild might be something to look into for this sort of man-hunting system. If not maybe an assassin's guild could be a thing. Anyway, maybe players can go and put a listing up for another player to be hunted down for a fee? The issue I see with this is that it would have to be one of two systems to make it work. The first system would be to not modify how they engage, meaning that these "assassins" might end up going corrupt to secure a kill on the target. The issue with that is that it would start to promote the action of attacking non-combatants and idk how intrepid would feel about that.

The other system would be a little different. When a player accepts a contract to hunt down another player they will notify the hunted target. "You are being hunted by an assassin." will show up for them, forcing them to be in a combatant state with the assassin until they are hunted down or the assassin dies trying to kill the mark. This would work similar to the "at war" flag between two guilds until one of the two involved in this assassination contract dies.

Either way, if the assassin is killed in the process the contract is void. killing the target grants the normal loot table for their flagged state in addition to the targets head. A "certificate" if you will that needs to be taken back to the nearest thieves guild to be exchanged for the payment.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    I like your ideas, Brainstorming is what this is all about!! Thx for participating. How about if when a guild reaches a certain size it can place bounty's on leadership of other guilds they are at war with of similar sizes and vice versa. There needs to be some way to have meaningful targets that when completed has a bit of drama to it.
  • Options
    Kripplin wrote: »
    I like your ideas, Brainstorming is what this is all about!! Thx for participating. How about if when a guild reaches a certain size it can place bounty's on leadership of other guilds they are at war with of similar sizes and vice versa. There needs to be some way to have meaningful targets that when completed has a bit of drama to it.

Sounds like something you can do organically that does not really need a system built into the game for lol. That stuff happens all the time in the hardcore pvp games.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    Sounds more like an Assassins Guild - which sounds funky!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Sounds more like an Assassins Guild - which sounds funky!

That is what it is
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    If a mayor goes corrupt, then bounty hunters can go after them. But otherwise, there is no system for what you are asking (and no reason - as said above, that is not what bounty hunters do)..
  • Options
    Actually the Bounty hunter system was supposed to be based off of the Star Wars Galaxies bounty hunter system in regards to Jedi hunting before the NGE. Also as a side note i was the one who had the idea for it to be in this game as i know Steve personally.
  • Options
    as i know Steve personally.
    you made your account yesterday so I doubt that but hey if you know him, call him?

• Options
    i know Steve personally.

Not sure why this was brought up... Do you know how much this hurts the validity of anything you say? We have no way of verifying this ourselves.

Also I am actually the guy who first invented orcs and they are savage warriors not weebs or stargazers.

(see what I did there?)

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Also I am actually the guy who first invented orcs and they are savage warriors not weebs or stargazers.

Actually, I can verify this, it is as stated.
  • Options
    So how it all works is that as a bounty hunter, the system in play is going to pay you the bounty. it was only in the NGE that Sony added actual players paying a amount of credits when dying in the galactic war as a overt player that you could put a amount up on the person who killed you. The original way that bounty hunters got missions is by going to a special "bounty hunter terminal" you then looked at the missions and based on price you could determine the level of strength of the person you would be after. The max amount of credits almost guarantied a Knight or Master. You then would send out a droid to locate the planet, then go to that planet, then send out another droid to put a waypoint on your mark that would update periodically. So now that you have a idea of a past system that is considered the best to date. What ideas do you think would improve upon it in a ashes of creation setting?

I like the idea of having another type of bounty hunting by calling it assassins. Maybe something like that would only trigger if a node goes military. My original thought of why Mayors would be a target of bounty hunters also would require that node to be military also since your asking for conflict. But i agree that a assassins guild of other nodes having these type of marks would be fun. I'd say that a military node getting a feature like this would be pretty awesome. So yea lets keep the discussion going theres still lots of time in development of this game to get some good ideas flowing around. For me this one seems the most fun to participate in.
  • Options
    So how it all works is that as a bounty hunter, the system in play is going to pay you the bounty. it was only in the NGE that Sony added actual players paying a amount of credits when dying in the galactic war as a overt player that you could put a amount up on the person who killed you. The original way that bounty hunters got missions is by going to a special "bounty hunter terminal" you then looked at the missions and based on price you could determine the level of strength of the person you would be after. The max amount of credits almost guarantied a Knight or Master. You then would send out a droid to locate the planet, then go to that planet, then send out another droid to put a waypoint on your mark that would update periodically. So now that you have a idea of a past system that is considered the best to date. What ideas do you think would improve upon it in a ashes of creation setting?

Well that gives me an idea or two. Why not have the bounty hunter progression system have different branches so that they can specialize in different "jobs" as a bounty hunter? Currently I can only think of 3 "archetypes" that could be used for this. Augments and passives for each tree would focus on different things. Combat, Investigation, and Tracking.

The combatant tree would be pretty straight forward granting you more and more bonuses when fighting a corrupted player and perhaps some augments that give you that bounty hunter flair in a fight.

The Scout/investigator tree would focus more on survival/utility skills and basically allow a player to gauge a targets strengths/weaknesses while giving them tools to run away if things get too dicey.

The Tracking tree could obviously allow the bounty hunter a more precise tracking method, perhaps even allowing the use of specific beasts like bloodhounds to lead them to corrupted players. So they could choose to be a solo character or have a little companion that can spot things for them and lead them around rather than a weird magic radar that picks up Griefer energy.
  • Options
    BlrrghBlrrgh Member
    edited October 2020
    Sathrago, I like your concept of a pet or companion that would allow you to search for your mark. I think it would be a lot more interesting and fun of a chase if implemented that way. You receive a tip from an agent somewhere that leads you to a small settlement, from there you pick up another clue, etc. etc. To OP, I don't see a problem with hunting a Mayor if the Mayor has a different set of tools to deal with the BH ( aka " You have been marked for death by the rebels" - Mayor then has option to deploy town guard etc etc)
  • Options
    Since Verra is supposed to be a assortment of terrain / regions it could be that you need specific pets to hunt/track in specific places. Having a specialty for bounty hunters to learn for different terrains and territories for various things adds a good uniqueness.

I don't think that loot drops should happen except in the corruption system. (criminals should have a stiff penalty)

I think some type of reward for achieving success against the mark should be some type of note on your characters profile showing a "time, date, mark, and payment" . Maybe in a level of difficulty also.
  • Options
    Since Verra is supposed to be a assortment of terrain / regions it could be that you need specific pets to hunt/track in specific places.

Something for the Animal Husbandry profession?
  • Options
    Yea having a profession that raises, finds and captures the pets that a Bounty Hunter would need seems to sound like a good way to add depth to it and allow for commerce between them.
  • Options
    Aren't people only mayor for a month, unless they get the part again?
    I don't see a reason for this
  • Options
    The only point I can think of to a system like this is if it is used as a sub-system as a part of node wars.

Outside of that, all I see it as being is a system designed to harass a specific player. When used as part of a node war system though, it seems to me to be something that could fit in well.

I do like the idea of using animals to do some scounting for bounty hunters though.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Noaani wrote: »
    I do like the idea of using animals to do some scounting for bounty hunters though.
    Same. Birds that can scout from the air and pinpoint a person's general location. Hounds that can sniff out their scent and lead you to where they've recently been, put you on their trail. That sort of thing.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    Same. Birds that can scout from the air and pinpoint a person's general location. Hounds that can sniff out their scent and lead you to where they've recently been, put you on their trail. That sort of thing.

I'd prefer this to the ordinary Bounty Hunter "Aura".
  • Options
    Not sure why Mayors needs to be hunted?
    xKMTkyZ.jpg
  • Options

Fite Da Powwa, Rite?
  • Options

Risk / Reward. Make it special for node vs node war. Fun? Prestige for going to another node and killing their Mayor for a nice reward. Lots of drama?
  • Options
    Node A sends assassin to Node B to kill Node B's mayor, shouting "For Node C!!!" while they do it. Node A sits back and laughs while Nodes B and C duke it out. Hilarious!
  • Options
    Node A sends assassin to Node B to kill Node B's mayor, shouting "For Node C!!!" while they do it. Node A sits back and laughs while Nodes B and C duke it out. Hilarious!

I would pay good coin to watch this.
  • Options

While this is amusing and all, I would think most nodes worth attacking would have enough of an espionage network to know what really happened- nodes B and C are probably just playing along, preparing to take down node A.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

While this is amusing and all, I would think most nodes worth attacking would have enough of an espionage network to know what really happened- nodes B and C are probably just playing along, preparing to take down node A.

Hahaha, brilliant! Maybe a Node C spy initiated the assassination attempt, in order to damage relations between Nodes A and B!
  • Options
    Depends on the drawbacks of a mayor dying. You're describing an assassination. Players can hire others to do the dirty work, yes, but whats the gain? People just respawn. If there is a purpose to the mayor dying, say for example, city defenses get reduced for a duration, then assassination becomes viable before a seige.

But on a side note, isn't killing in a node not allowed?
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • Options
    It's just inside Housing and inside a Player Stall that you're safe, isn't it?
  • Options
    It's just inside Housing and inside a Player Stall that you're safe, isn't it?

Just stalls.

If an enemy can get to you in your house, they can kill you.