Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

A class I would love to see: Druids

Hello all,

Understand that I am not a developer and I don't have a firm grasp on the challenges of such. My ideas are merely wishful thinking and I believe the plans that Intrepid has for this game are already amazing and redefining. I wish them all the best and hope to see this game continue to progress in it's trail-blazing path.

Having been enchanted with fantasy games, as well tabletop and forum roleplaying(D&D, Pathfinder, World of Darkness, T1, etc.), I have always found myself drawn to three specific types of paths/classes; Rogues, Sorcerers and most of all, Druids. Not only do I believe it would add another level of dynamic to the game when considering most games falling into the trap of religion dominating healing and support(Yes, I know the bard exists, though they fall into another niche entirely in my humble opinion.) Personally, I find myself drawn to either very specific kinds of gods(See Raven Queen, Mielikki, etc- enigmatic, usually less zealous/order/dominant gods, as it feels more freedom-driven and personally progressive, rather than falling into a set of ideals based on factions that have a stone-set agenda...I believe Druids(As well as Rogues/Sorcs...you can probably see a trend in my preferred classes.) define this better than most. In D&D, a Druid doesn't have to worship a god. They can instead venerate nature on their own terms or be blessed by one of the first-born's court(Fae), etc. They create their own path and their own interpretation to how they may venerate and protect the balance of nature. Where some druids may hold hatred towards civilization, another may work as an advisor to a village or cities leadership on how they might form a symbiotic relationship with the surrounding forest.

In summary, I believe it would not only bring it's own solution to multiple facets of the game; combat, roleplay, identity, etc...but also bring about more options- Rogues that can inflict poisonous damage through their Druidic subclass, Summoners who can call upon nature as their ally, Mages that gain a more...wild tone to their magic, etc. I feel like those possibilities, if not explored during the initial endeavors of this games undertaking, remain as solid choices for future content.

If you got this far, thank you for reading through my rant, and please feel free to comment, constructively criticize my view-point and offer up your own, etc. I'd love to hear what other people think about this kind of thing. Nothing is better than knowing more now than you did yesterday.

"Remember, perception is simply what we see of reality. Yet reality is what we strive to perceive." -Some Nerd

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm sure they will add druids down the line at some point
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • CptBrownBeardCptBrownBeard Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree with Nagash. If they decide to add more classes after release, I'd be willing to bet Druid (or something of a similar vein) is one of the first. Certainly one I'd like to see.
  • I was kind of hoping that the 'magical' sub-classes for the Ranger would head toward a version of Druid.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • @Nagash, @CptBrownBeard - I would love to see that. To be honest, this was just one of innumerable ideas I wanted to bring forward, though I felt it would be greedy to voice them all. Afterall, this game is already a huge(Albiet amazing) if not grand undertaking. One that will, instead of laterally progressing the genre, might finally be a game to vertically set a new defining standard. As such, I do hope to see more content like that, especially since they aren't looking at smacking their players in the face with their di- I mean expansions, and instead making it progressive content via subscription...meaning the chance for stuff like this is more possible than in most games.

@CROW3 - From my understanding, it wouldn't exactly work like that, sadly. Subclasses modify your base-class. Meaning you use the same skills and the like, but can augment them with different things per your subclass. So I would assume that to lead to things like magical arrows, rather than druidic spells.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like nature focused classes as well, and it's true they don't really have that planned currently. Not even the religions have a specific nature focus. The closest I am guessing we'll see is the Beastmaster and Falconer I suppose, but they honestly just sound like they use animals as pets for combat. It's not the same as venerating and guarding nature. Maybe the Protector has a little something.

In the next expansion, yeah I'd like it as well, but every primary archetype they add is a pretty huge addition of classes. Going from 8 to 9 adds 17 classes. I know, the base skills aren't unique for those 17 classes, but it's still a lot of work. Adding another 10th archetype adds another 19 for a total of 100 classes.

What specific game mechanic would you want the class to do? Caster? Melee? Healing?
  • I'm completely on board for a druid archetype being added down the line and would also throw in a martial arts master (monks) type archetype as another one that could/should be added.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • @Nerror - That is a very good point. Each step they take with classes becomes a whole new challenge, not to mention a balance concern. It also offers up the double-edged sword of new mechanics and features. Perhaps with Druids, you would have a new type of damage, new weaknesses, spell-types, etc. That in itself is an undertaking, not to mention adding interactions for every other class, as well as how each other class will interact with it. Makes me wish I could help in that regard. Though, sadly, for all my experience with games, I've not tried my hand at major development projects or MMO balancing.
  • @Sathrago - Monks would definitely be a fun and interesting addition to the game. If they do add it, I hope it stays true to the original idea of the class in it's formidability as well as simplicity. IE, body and mind over armor and weapons. For balancing purposes, I could see them using(Or being proficient with) certain simple weapons, though I feel it'd be hard to justify a monk wearing full-plate- which brings about another question; do you guys think armor will effect casting/attack speed/time?
  • @Sathrago - Monks would definitely be a fun and interesting addition to the game. If they do add it, I hope it stays true to the original idea of the class in it's formidability as well as simplicity. IE, body and mind over armor and weapons. For balancing purposes, I could see them using(Or being proficient with) certain simple weapons, though I feel it'd be hard to justify a monk wearing full-plate- which brings about another question; do you guys think armor will effect casting/attack speed/time?

I dont think armor type will strictly effect those modifiers but you would probably see more caster oriented buffs on light or medium armor than heavy armor. That applies both ways. They seem to currently be focusing on the pure defensive stats bonuses of using a type of armor first. So if you want to tank you will most likely use heavy armor, though you might get light armor tanks if there are specific caster mobs and bosses that focus on magic damage.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • @Sathrago - Hm, that is fair. As an interesting mechanic, I feel it would be great fun(Not to mention seeing fighters with greatswords wearing dresses), though balance-wise it'd be a little bit over-optimistic. Afterall, it would have to construe overall armor defense/offense orientation.
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited October 2020
    @Sathrago - Hm, that is fair. As an interesting mechanic, I feel it would be great fun(Not to mention seeing fighters with greatswords wearing dresses), though balance-wise it'd be a little bit over-optimistic. Afterall, it would have to construe overall armor defense/offense orientation.

Yeah that seems to be the plan. Light armors are better at magic damage reduction and mana regeneration while heavy armor has more health and physical damage reduction. Medium armor is somewhere in the middle in all three aspects.
  • @Sathrago - So an Archeage system. Not too bad of an place to derive it from. The system works well and gives a defining sense to different armors and their strengths and weaknesses. I definitely hope to see improvements made to that aspect though, such as versatility through materials(Plate Armor made from organic materials[Wood/Scales/etc], that kind of thing.) having different basic properties.
  • @Sathrago - So an Archeage system. Not too bad of an place to derive it from. The system works well and gives a defining sense to different armors and their strengths and weaknesses. I definitely hope to see improvements made to that aspect though, such as versatility through materials(Plate Armor made from organic materials[Wood/Scales/etc], that kind of thing.) having different basic properties.

Oh for sure. In addition to cosmetics it looks like the crafters will have a tin of control for how stats are applied to gear so that will make things really interesting.
  • @Sathrago - Which is a total relief. Most games focus on a set stat system or RNG systems. The first makes gear plain, the other makes it tiresome and feel unvaluable. I still remember the horror of having 6+ tabs of legendary+ gear in Diablo 3 and re-thinking my life decisions.This game seems to lend itself towards freedom, while also undeniably attaching value and effort to those higher-end items you can obtain. Best in slot isn't just a thing to have. It becomes empowering as much as it is a responsibility. Procuring the materials to repair and maintain it, making use of it to obtain those repairs and other things, etc. It is a commodity that plays right back into the economy...So many beautifully-done tie-ins.
  • @Sathrago - Which is a total relief. Most games focus on a set stat system or RNG systems. The first makes gear plain, the other makes it tiresome and feel unvaluable. I still remember the horror of having 6+ tabs of legendary+ gear in Diablo 3 and re-thinking my life decisions.This game seems to lend itself towards freedom, while also undeniably attaching value and effort to those higher-end items you can obtain. Best in slot isn't just a thing to have. It becomes empowering as much as it is a responsibility. Procuring the materials to repair and maintain it, making use of it to obtain those repairs and other things, etc. It is a commodity that plays right back into the economy...So many beautifully-done tie-ins.

Agreed. The philosophy behind the game should be used to shame games like wow and diablo 3 that make crafting and player agency nothing more than a fantasy. But I digress we are here to talk about adding druids lol. I dont expect it to be added until an expansion happens down the road.
  • @Sathrago - Eh, I believe free discussion leads to the best debate and comparison of information and perspective. Though the thread is about Druids, what's to say it cannot become more? Think of this discussion as the Druid's subclass. Haha.
  • I too wanted some shaman/druid class but it is possible (albeit I think unlikely) that through the subclass system AND the racial augments which can also change the visual component of skills, you could get some nature caster type. Of course though it would play very similar to the base class as it would only be a secondary class specialization.

I do worry about the amount of work and balancing it will take to add a new class to this game though. I really hate how they've cornered themselves into that grid... they could have just presented it as every class has 8 specialization or sub classes but nope, it is a cross between classes so now any additional class will need to integrate into the whole grid and make it exponentially harder to balance. But I don't want to get into that conversation here, it would derail the post I think haha.
  • AmmaAmma Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2020
    I think they will simply make one of the augments of the ranger as second class a nature one, so a cleric archetype will augment his heals with a ranger subclass to a kind of nature-druid-spells. That could be an easy way for the developers not to take extra effort for a druid class.
    But if it is possible to get a druid as an archetype later with a patch, then i would love that. To have at least 2 different heal-archetypes would be very interesting, especially when you combine those two as archetype and second class.......so many dreams about future classes :-) ...........
  • I admit I have not fully looked and scrutinized the 64 class names but would have thought a Druid type was in there somewhere..../goes off to look at list. Apparently not!

As has been mentioned above, you might get a Druid type depending on the sub-class, they just didn't use the term "Druid" or "Shaman", which is too bad. (lots of "shadow" though :* )

We will have to wait for actual class descriptions before knowing for sure.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Super agree. Love a good shapeshifter class and like others have said I wouldn't be surprised to see it and a martial class such as monk in an expansion.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • I'm pleasantly surprised to see how many people find my viewpoint agreeable. Hopefully it is a task the developers will undertake in due time.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I was kind of hoping that the 'magical' sub-classes for the Ranger would head toward a version of Druid.
    To me the fact that they didn’t do this opens up the probability that they want to leave themselves the option of adding it later as a whole new archetype.

Hhak63P.png
  • PlagueMonkPlagueMonk Member
    edited October 2020
    Atama wrote: »
    I was kind of hoping that the 'magical' sub-classes for the Ranger would head toward a version of Druid.
    To me the fact that they didn’t do this opens up the probability that they want to leave themselves the option of adding it later as a whole new archetype.

Well, lets play out the braingame......what would the sub classes be if they added Druid as a archetype?
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    PlagueMonk wrote: »

Well, lets play out the braingame......what would the sub classes be if they added Druid as a archetype?

One would have to be branchwraith
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Nagash wrote: »
    PlagueMonk wrote: »

One would have to be branchwraith

Well we have:

Bard / Druid -
    Cleric / Druid -
    Fighter / Druid -
    Mage / Druid -
    Ranger / Druid -
    Rogue / Druid -
    Summoner / Druid -
    Tank / Druid -

Druid / Bard -
    Druid / Cleric -
    Druid / Fighter -
    Druid / Mage -
    Druid / Ranger -
    Druid / Rogue - Branchwraith?
    Druid / Summoner -
    Druid / Tank -

Druid / Druid -

isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Word of warning: I have not slept well in a while due to ongoing issues related to an ongoing transition in my life. Saying that, this will be a very rough draft of ideas on the matter. Honestly, I'm probably going to try and flesh out the entirety of this idea at a later date, and see if I could potentially submit it to Intrepid. But as I said, this current variation is not my proudest work. So my apologies. I simply didn't want to wait any longer.

Druid/Druid: Archdruid(Most likely focusing on further augmenting abilities for damage, healing or shapeshifting.
    Druid/Bard: Voice of the Forest(Best I could think of at the time.)(Probably augmented healing and buffing format to be added to abilities; IE, a AoE entangle/thorns ability could also give allies a damage buff as that type of damage.)
    Druid/Cleric: Nature Soul(Hehe. Divine Soul, but nature-ified.)(Most likely to lean heavily into healing- can still see an interesting path for the Death subtype though. Probably things like debuffs and life-drain healing.)
    Druid/Fighter: Fury(Most likely to take a more brutal approach to shapeshifting augments and forms.)
    Druid/Mage: Wildfire Druid(Could see this being an interesting take on a more destructive form of spellcaster Druid.)
    Druid/Ranger: Pathfinder(Most likely utility and ranged damage augments to create debuffs and traps while also increasing range of attacks and movement.)
    Druid/Rogue: Moonpath Druid(Most likely a moonlight stalker kind of mashup. Stealthy shapeshifting and the like.)
    Druid/Summoner: Forest Caller(Augmented abilities to summon creatures when used. IE, when using a thorn/entangle, it instead summons a number of small, weak thornlings that harass enemies, slowing, etc.)
    Druid/Tank: Grove Guard(Most likely to take on beefy shapeshifting, like bear forms and other large beasts you wouldn't want to ignore.)

As for the rest of the classes taking Druid as an Archetypes...
    Bard/Druid: Aviarius(Most likely changing buff style and effects, as well as potentially offering this in the form of bird companions that continue the song for some time after the bard has stopped.
    Cleric/Druid: Pagan(Idek, I can't think right now.)(Most likely augmenting abilities, especially healing. I could see it adding HOTs to healing spells, other types of damage and effects to attacks, etc.)
    Fighter/Druid: Savage(Most likely adding natural damage and effects, like causing roots to grapple a target when charged.)
    Mage/Druid: Storm Soul(Again, I feel these augments would be simple but fun. Thinking along the lines of lightning abilities summoning storms, or a fireball leaving a ashen field that turns into a patch of entangling vines, spells augmented by strong gusts of wind or natural or moon-like effects.)
    Ranger/Druid: Forest Watcher(Augmented traps that spread into a field of natural vines and thorns, inflicting slows and poison, arrows that entangle, poison or create a beacon of moon-like light around them, making it impossible for them to hide and increasing hit-chance against the target, etc.)
    Rogue/Druid: Stalker(Most likely augmented poisons and debuffs. Entangles, natural weapons like thorns of even a predator that strikes out of nowhere. IDK. I'm tired. XD)
    Summoner/Druid: Forest Caller(Summons leaning more into natural, if not magically natural summons and augments...Think treants, fae(Or equivalent), etc.)
    Tank/Druid: Bearer of Thorns(As the name suggests, I imagine a tank who can reflect damage and cause debuffs when hit.)

I'm more than open to ideas, comments, critique, etc. Please post away.
  • I tried to keep most things centered around one ability(Because said ability is a staple of almost any druid format.). Saying that, any other ideas would be lovely. I'll be on and off the forum as I work on other things I should be doing rather than fangirling over a game I sadly can't play yet.
  • I like the idea of shapeshifting being the core component of a druid. It is very unique, gives them identity and can be changed via augments to be a more spell-casting type of form or more up in their face.

Just gonna build on/propose alternatives to some of your ideas @Raen Elvarasi

Druid/Bard
    There is music in nature, in the river and the rustling of the leaves. The form would be an embodiment of earth itself, a mish-mash of mud, branches, flowing water and wind (kind of like a mud elemental). Spells, plants, etc that are created by the druid have an aoe buff around them, this should include the druid itself (like an aura).

Druid/Cleric
    You take the form of a great elk. Depending on the augments chosen though, it will either be a majestic one or a ghastly skeletal one. All spells should embody the cycle of life and death (think of the forest spirit from princess mononoke). If a spell creates vines, the vines would then die and have some after effect. Depending on the augments chosen you can choose to lean in more heavily on the life creation part of the spell or the death and decay part. For example you create some vines on the floor that at first give some protection buff to allies but then die and decay and put a dot on enemies. Augments can buff or elongate one component of the life or death of the spell.

Druid/Fighter
    Should have multiple shape shifts available with different flavors offensively like slow and hard hitting or fast and rapid fire and defensively like resistance to fire vs ice or the like. I think of fighters as versatile and experts of many weapons so a fighter secondary should provide you with options of shape shifting forms to best suit any opponent.

Druid/Mage
    Shapeshifting form should look like a flower with some elemental flavor depending on the augments chosen and the spells of the druid will be influenced by that element.

Druid/Ranger
    Shapeshifting form should be some human/animal hybrid like the goat dude from the lion the witch and the wardrobe. Don't really have too many thoughts on this one though.

Druid/Rouge
    Shapeshifting: you guessed it, some black panther. Also not many thoughts here

Druid/Summoner
    Shapeshifting form should be a tree or a mushroom and abilities should attract insects of different kinds to them. So if you cast some vines, it will attract giant beetles that you don't control but that will attack mobs in some area around the vines. Or your spell termination point attracts non-targetable flies that will put a DoT on nearby enemies.

Druid/Tank
    Shapeshifting form should be, that's right, not a bear haha. I think a monkey would work great here actually. Because you don't necessarily want the druid to be a proper tank which a bear or a turtle or something would suggest but the monkeys abilities would be mocking and generate aggro while still being beefy relative to the other shapeshifting forms that could allow for grapples/CC. So it would be a decent off-tank option.

• I definitely love your take on things. At a point in time where I am a little more cognizant I'll be sure to see what I can do with that information. Again though, definitely great points to be made. Though I would argue that a druid, though they shouldn't be on par with a dedicated tank, I feel that leaning into it should be a big theme with something like the Tank subclass. Bears, Gorillas, Bulls, etc. A bear doesn't have the same hardness as a shield, nor does a gorilla, though they do offer more beefiness than a monkey. Afterall, I've seen monkeys get their s**t kicked in by snakes, badgers, predator cats, etc. They tend to survive by not being somewhere they can be reached when push comes to shove.
  • yeah, because another main type class, and 16 more classes is really what we need