Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Controller

2»

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited January 2022
    Maezriel wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    Even WoW can be played w/ a controller through a third party addon w/ absolutely zero changes to it's gameplay.
    You realize WoW has the simplest gameplay of any MMO out there, right?

I mean, it is possible to write a macro for some classes and participate in a number of raids using a single button.
    You would lose nothing by Intrepid coding a basic level of controller interaction into the game and pretending otherwise to excuse excluding disabled people is just plain stupid.
    I'm also not saying they shouldn't do it.

What I am saying is they shouldn't specifically design the gameplay around the need for it, if the gameplay would be better if they did something that made it unfeasable for controllers to be used, then they shouldn't be prevented from making the gameplay better in order to implement controllers.

I am also specifically saying they SHOULD implement controller support if - after the gameplay is developed - it makes sense to do so.

Pick your battles a bit better.

Color blindness was brought up last stream. Should Intrepid wait until all the effects are finalized before considering colorblind options and controls?

What about hearing? What if Intrepid felt audio queues were important to the game? Hell, many players aren't deaf but prefer to play w/ game sounds muted as they mindlessly grind w/ Netflix in the background...should we "wait until gameplay is finished" before considering not forcing audio queues?

Or? Maybe it's better to have accessibility options in mind before spending months, if not years, finalizing something and then realizing you need to go back and shovel something new in.

I'm not the one claiming disabled gamers should be an afterthought to my personal enjoyment so I'm quiet comfortable w/ this hill I'm on. I'm not the one who should pick a better fight here.
    @Maezriel

I missed this post from over a year ago, but most people that recognize me on these forums would know I wouldn't let this stand.

Should Intrepid wait for all effects to be added in before considering color blindness? yes, obviously.

Create all effects for the game as the developers wish them to be. In fact, create the whole damn game as the developers want it. This should not be something anyone argues with.

Then, and only then, work on various colorblindness filters. Don't develop the whole game for the 8% of people that have colorblindness, develop it for the 92% that don't, and then find ways to accommodate that 8%. If Intrepid were to develop the game from scratch with colorblind players in mind, do they develop with Protanopia, Protanomaly, Deuteranopia, Deuteranomaly, Tritanopia or Tritanomaly in mind?

Attempting to develop with all of these in mind would be an unmitigated disaster. As such, the only viable course of action is to add colorblind filters - which can and should be developed independently of the games development.

The hill you claim you are quite happy on requires you to pick one of the above six colorblind types and focus on it, to the detriment of all other colorblind people, as well as the 92% of people that are not colorblind in any way. The hill I am on seeks to make the best game possible for that 92%, and then create an effective filter to allow the other 8% to play comfortably.

I am happy with my hill, and would be ashamed to be even near the hill you so proudly sit on.

The exact same can be said of controller support. Intrepid should develop the game the way Intrepid want it to be - with the understanding that players using controllers on PC's in MMO's are so rare that no developer (to my knowledge) has ever bothered giving a percentage of players that use them (I would assume less than 0.5%, but that is an assumption).

Limiting the game in any way in order to facilitate controller compatibility should clearly be a non-starter. Adding controller support to the game once it is developed is all fine, as long as no changes to the game are made to facilitate controllers that are not also a benefit to the game as a whole.

This may well mean that controller players may want to create their character with a tall build (fewer abilities that are stronger) rather than a wide build (many abilities that are less strong), but so what?

As for sounds, again, if that is what Intrepid think will make the best game, why shouldn't they make use of it?

If we follow your thinking, Intrepid would need to make the game accessible to every person with any disability. According to you, should Intrepid develop the game with potential players with motor neurone disease in mind?

If you think they should, explain to me exactly how that game would look to the rest of us. If you do not think they should, get the fuck off that hill you are on, you hypocrite.
  • Options
    Blair wrote: »
    I played WOW classic with a controller and I loved it. I played retail, neverwinter, ESO etc there all great with a controller. As for the 30 ability's thing, no one has a 30 button rotation especially when the hot bar only holds 13.

Lol. You obviously never played a Rogue on a controller. I had, at minimum, 20 hotkeys. Not including mouse binds.. Playing WoW with a controller, I'd be willing to bet you did next to 0 PvP.
    sJ4g8FI.png
  • Options
    I would Like to see Controller support as i am Disabled and that is The only way i could play with todays Tech.Sure i am always going to be at a disadvantage with a Controller type setup but hey at least i could play.
  • Options
    DragonseedDragonseed Member
    edited September 2023
    Please Please have Support for controller supports i bought the Last month $375 pack and i am disabled it is the only way i can play i have a Decent Rig and i will by the best controller (at the moments just a newer Xbox controller)) Please allow Support as i would hate to miss out on this Game (yes i have a program that attempts to mimic Keyboard and mouse(they all are Flawed in several ways).....But Native support would be More than Awesome!Opps forgot i already Posted above i am sorry ...i have encephalopathy forgive me.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    We would love to have controller support in Ashes of Creation! :) This is something we will likely be looking into closer to launch.

You can read more about that here, on the wiki: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Controller_support
    community_management.gif