Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Suggestion: Wine Production

This game appears to have a great deal of agriculture, trade, and being a productive civilian of a node. What better addition than wine for the region. Like wine, the longer your fields are established, the better the quality. Plus, wine could easily fit in with the existing lore of this game because it has such ancestral roots in our own history.

Would provide a whole additional way to play the game with quests specific to the art of growing vines as well as machinery to improve the quality and quantity of concentrated goodness!

An additional benefit of having a vineyard is it gives a money sink! MMOs struggle after a prolong period of time because of gold generation without adequate gold dumps. This would give players the ability to spend their hard earned in game gold to cultivate consumables.

I'd definitely be interested in chatting about how to create the lore/mechanics for this in game!

Comments

• Options
    I believe they have some sort of system of 'Brewer' within the Cooking profession, so you might be lucky. :)
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I could go for this.

Only things I'd suggest are that there should be no production at all from vines for a few years, and then an increase in yield and quality over the next 7 or 8 years, at which point both are capped (this is analogous to how it is in the real world, any claims that older vines are better is purely marketing).

I would also like to see similar mechanics with other crops, olives and various types of fruit, specifically.

To me, this creates even more tension around a node being sieged. Even if a node is a second generation vassal of a metropolis, if that node happens to have a large amount of vines/trees in it that the metropolis has built a portion of their economy on, it is in that metropolis' best interest to see to it that the node wins the siege, so as to prevent the freeholds with those crops from being raided.

Again, this is analogous to real world events. It was a massive blow to people back in the day if a rival came through and burned their olive trees specifically - as it could be a decade before they could be replaced.
  • Options
    The forums already generate enough wine as is, no need for more ;)
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sathrago wrote: »

Sweet liquor eases the pain
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Zing!

I’d like the chance to be a vintner. I’d also like it if different races have their own wines.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2020
    giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47u72tb2wgnmt418757l5nqsfk4emud9l7ht2vx2dy&rid=giphy.gif

What are these... wines... my precious?!?

I only know fermented mushrooms, yes-yes!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    Zing!

I’d like the chance to be a vintner. I’d also like it if different races have their own wines.

I could be down with this. Wine from grapes for elves, mead from honey for humans, beer from barley for dwarves, and spirits from corn for orcs - something like that.

As long as there isn't a hard barrier preventing races from consuming other beverages.
  • Options
    I fully support this idea, I am one of the odd balls that usually go after life skills/Professions and such in games. Growing grapes and brewing wine might be fun to sell to other players and NPCs Perhaps even Taverns and such?
  • Options
    Credit wrote: »
    I fully support this idea, I am one of the odd balls that usually go after life skills/Professions and such in games. Growing grapes and brewing wine might be fun to sell to other players and NPCs Perhaps even Taverns and such?

Maybe you could have a special spirit brewed from your turnips?!
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

There is a spirit (a type of schnapps, specifically) made from turnips from a specific area in Austria, I believe.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

There is a spirit (a type of schnapps, specifically) made from turnips from a specific area in Austria, I believe.

Perfect!
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2020
    Ooh! I have an idea to make the economy of food and beverage an integral part of play:

Food items temporarily boost your maximum hp (plus other buffs)
    Drink items temporarily boost your mana pool (plus other buffs)

These boosts decay over time.

This would mean people would grab a meal right before heading to a big fight.
    Rich people would flex on the poor by drinking/eating vintage wines every minute to maintain the maximum health/mana pool.
    Poor people would just make do with a meal every now and then when required.

This would also mean you can have guild banquets so everyone is prepped right before a fight.
    (Or maybe set up a banquet outside the steps to a boss room)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    You could devote an entire room of your Guild Hall to be a Banqueting Hall!
  • Options

Şalgam is from southern Turkey.

The name is Persian for "turnip".

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

Şalgam is from southern Turkey.

The name is Persian for "turnip".

That's made with a type of carrot iirc, not the one I had in mind.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited November 2020
    not the one I had in mind.

Looks like Krautinger, made from the turnip (white beet).
  • Options
    That's made with a type of carrot iirc, not the one I had in mind.

Looks like Krautinger, made from the turnip (white beet).

That's the one I was thinking of, thanks!
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited November 2020
    Do you guys think a fermenter would work as a processing artisan? It would produce all sorts of stuff like wine, cheese, and other materials that might need time to change.

You could get fantasy with it and have metals or herbs that need to be fermented in dragon saliva or whatever type of magical liquids you want to make it stronger or have specific attributes.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    I think they've included drinks in with Cooking, cos they couldn't get enough drinks to make it worth its own profession.
  • Options
    I think they've included drinks in with Cooking, cos they couldn't get enough drinks to make it worth its own profession.

That's why I said fermenter rather than brewmaster. To give it room to do more stuff :)
  • Options
    I could be down with this. Wine from grapes for elves, mead from honey for humans, beer from barley for dwarves, and spirits from corn for orcs - something like that.

What are the Tulnar? Chopped liver???

Maybe this is where our friend Damokles can help...
    Damokles wrote: »

Mmm, delicious fermented mushrooms.
    community_management.gif
  • Options

As I was thinking of what would be a good fit for each race, I actually did think of the Tulnar. I was thinking that if each drink type offered similar but different bonuses and were able to be used by all races (but with stronger effects in the appropriate race), it could be interesting if Tulnar were almost a jack of all trades in that they gained a boost from all drink types, but not quite as muich as the appropriate race.

This kind of fits in with how the Tulnar are a combination of the four parent races, along with other... 'influences'.
  • Options
    This kind of fits in with how the Tulnar are a combination of the four parent races, along with other... 'influences'.

Hey, if you were stuck underground for that many years, with only an elephant and a snake for company, you may have spawned a colony of reptilian-elephant-men, too! Don't give them too hard a time...! :p:D
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

As I was thinking of what would be a good fit for each race, I actually did think of the Tulnar. I was thinking that if each drink type offered similar but different bonuses and were able to be used by all races (but with stronger effects in the appropriate race), it could be interesting if Tulnar were almost a jack of all trades in that they gained a boost from all drink types, but not quite as muich as the appropriate race.

Make it a random effect. If every race had a beverage that increased a specific stat, then make the tulnar drink give a boost to a random stat but an even better one then the other race drinks.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    In Dragon Age: Origins, the dwarves of Orzammar who spend their entire lives underground prefer a wine brewed from fermented moss. That seems fitting for Tulnar.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In Dragon Age: Origins, the dwarves of Orzammar who spend their entire lives underground prefer a wine brewed from fermented moss. That seems fitting for Tulnar.

Dragon age has such great lore
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace