Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Sword and shield DPS

MushinMushin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Any support for sword and shield Dps build? I can't think of any mmo that has this and is actually implemented well.

Comments

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    But why would you wear a shield instead of another weapon?
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited November 2020
    Damokles wrote: »

Survivability? RP? Aesthetics?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

Survivability? RP? Aesthetics?

Well, i mean i eventually plan to play one handed spear + shield but i dont think you would want to go anything + shield as a dps if you dont plan to offtank.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    I totally support sword and shield dps.

A shield can be used to devastating offensive effect with training. A lateral swipe with a shield is like taking a 2x4 to the face. Followed with a full-force lunge bash and a strike with a sword? Done.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    The thing about having a shield is that you sacrifice damage for defense basicly. But yeah im all about shields, dual shields even.
  • Options
    Marcet wrote: »
    dual shields even.

tenor.gif?itemid=5693921
  • Options
    Marcet wrote: »
    dual shields even.

tenor.gif?itemid=5693921

You're totally right, @Damokles - it works on anything!
  • Options
    In reality Shields are used for both offense and defense, I just want enough shield Dps skills where one can actually make a viable build.
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I totally support sword and shield dps.

A shield can be used to devastating offensive effect with training. A lateral swipe with a shield is like taking a 2x4 to the face. Followed with a full-force lunge bash and a strike with a sword? Done.

against a human maybe. Against a giant dragon? Not at all.

The bigger the difference in physical strength the more important it becomes tl concentrate your attack on a narrow spot through piercing or cutting.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »

The bigger the difference in physical strength the more important it becomes tl concentrate your attack on a narrow spot through piercing or cutting.

And the more important it becomes to protect yourself from a big huge dragon claw coming at you?! Big metal barrier between me and it? Yes please! Hehehe :D
  • Options

That’s what the sword is for... 🧐

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options

And the more important it becomes to protect yourself from a big huge dragon claw coming at you?! Big metal barrier between me and it? Yes please! Hehehe :D

A meak little piece of metal wont protect you from the crushing, flesh randing claws of a giant dagon though? xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    CptBrownBeardCptBrownBeard Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Is the request to deal damage adequately with a sword-n-board style, or for the ability to deal maximized and competitive damage with that same style?

Just wanted to clarify because if the former, then yeah sure it'll no doubt be possible.

If we're discussing the latter than I don't see that happening, in my opinion. Within the parameters of an RPG there is a balance that must be ensured or the game runs the risk of leaning too heavily in one side's favor.

For a single player game that isn't an issue, necessarily, but in an MMO that leads to problems with balance.

Basically what I'm saying is that an SnB build should indeed deal damage, but not be a predominant DPS choice as having the shield inherently includes more mitigation potential. Otherwise why have the shield?
  • Options
    Is the request to deal damage adequately with a sword-n-board style, or for the ability to deal maximized and competitive damage with that same style?

Just wanted to clarify because if the former, then yeah sure it'll no doubt be possible.

If we're discussing the latter than I don't see that happening, in my opinion. Within the parameters of an RPG there is a balance that must be ensured or the game runs the risk of leaning too heavily in one side's favor.

For a single player game that isn't an issue, necessarily, but in an MMO that leads to problems with balance.

Basically what I'm saying is that an SnB build should indeed deal damage, but not be a predominant DPS choice as having the shield inherently includes more mitigation potential. Otherwise why have the shield?

Pretty much I just don't want to be kicked from raid and dungeon groups because I'm running a sword and board dps. I don't have any desire to out dps a mage but at least have the build where I can carry my own weight. I don't even mind the idea of being off tank/dps hybrid, but I just don't like the idea of being discriminated for how I want to play my character.
  • Options
    mushin wrote: »

Pretty much I just don't want to be kicked from raid and dungeon groups because I'm running a sword and board dps. I don't have any desire to out dps a mage but at least have the build where I can carry my own weight. I don't even mind the idea of being off tank/dps hybrid, but I just don't like the idea of being discriminated for how I want to play my character.

It should be finy depending on the group tbh. hardcore min-max groups wouldnt pick you, but any other group should be okay with it aslong as you tell them straight up that you go offtank dps.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options

I don't think SnB build should do equal damage compared to a 2H melee build. But I don't think they should do 25% of a 2H build, maybe 65-75%. Good enough to hold your own solo in the wilderness, but not a burst-maximized dps spec.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    MichaelMichael Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    SnB could probably play more around CC combos rather than just straight up burst damage. I would love to see that.
  • Options
    Wasn’t SnB Warrior in GW2 a melee bleeds approach? I remember that being fun to play.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Yeah, CCs, interrupts, and DoTs. I can see that working nicely. Maybe a taunt for tanking/off-tanking.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Wasn’t SnB Warrior in GW2 a melee bleeds approach? I remember that being fun to play.

Yeah.... but that wasnt any good tbh. The bleed came from the main hand sword though and not from the SnB combo. Sword and torch were/are still WAY better to inflict multiple types of dots.

GW1 had a pretty good SnB warrior bleed build i believe though^^
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options

It had great everything builds. There were so many skills you could customise your build however you wanted.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

It had great everything builds. There were so many skills you could customise your build however you wanted.

I remember my Dervish/Assassin build. No one could escape Avatar of Grenth, if he could teleport behind you >:^)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

The beauty of this game will be the discovery of new class specs that will work. I am main tanking for my guild and would LOVE to be able to be a dps contender when not getting my face bashed in but unfortunately we will probably be low dps and high CC (which I am ok with when it comes to pvp).

As far as you getting kicked from a raid....MY thought process will be this for players. Let's work on a build and find out what we can top your dps on (we can 1v1 to see while I am being healed and then compare this to other dps players or we can time bursting down the same mob and compare to others. If your dps is viable, you would absolutely be invited as a sword and board tank. if it isn't, we will work on finding something that works better but that you also enjoy. I would love to talk more about it with you if you happen to be looking for a guild : ). Add me on Discord and message me anytime! Khronus#4299.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/44811/north-america-council-recruitment-thread#latest
  • Options
    All of these are great ideas especially for the fighter class. I agree it shouldn't be a burst class but have consistent dps with cc abilities. In terms of pvp a class that excels in prolonged battles.
  • Options
    McShaveMcShave Member
    edited November 2020
    For anyone that has read the Eye of the World series, I want to create an Aiel spear+shield character. Will probably be an offtank who is maybe good at PvP?

edit: i expect it to be a fighter/ tank, but will have to see the spells and augments to really say.
  • Options
    In the case of all your other builds details such as class selection, attributes, resource setup, class skill sets, augments etc. are all DPS, I don't think equipping SnB alone will then make you not a DPS.

BUT, SnB skill tree will definitely have more skills or passive abilities designed for tanking and survivability, compare to pure damage dealing and burst damage dealing skills. Hence, it will be upto the player to choose what skills to use in the end, may be less SnB skills in your skill bar but more archetype skills instead.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Get a DPS class, focus on damage abilities, get a sword and shield to make yourself a little less squishy. I don’t see the problem. Plus, I believe you can swap weapons in combat, so I don’t see why you can’t have the sword and shield and a more offensive-focused weapon to switch between based on the situation.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Atama wrote: »
    Get a DPS class, focus on damage abilities, get a sword and shield to make yourself a little less squishy. I don’t see the problem. Plus, I believe you can swap weapons in combat, so I don’t see why you can’t have the sword and shield and a more offensive-focused weapon to switch between based on the situation.

I thought we were only able to have one melee set and range weapon set we could swap in between. Am I wrong?
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Atama wrote: »

I thought we were only able to have one melee set and range weapon set we could swap in between. Am I wrong?

There will be the ability to swap weapons in combat, but only after a time period of neither dealing nor taking damage.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    There will be the ability to swap weapons in combat, but only after a time period of neither dealing nor taking damage.

Here's hoping that duration is no longer than a second or two (i.e. a GCD unit).

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png