Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Wings should not become a cosmetic thing... But capes would be nice.

I notice a lot of MMO's think adding angel wings, black, white, etc, as an aesthetic appeal for players. I'm sure there's plenty of edgey teenagers who enjoy this cosmetic (including myself and I'm beyond my teenage years)... But let me just admit, I find it MUCH more satisfying and cooler to fight bosses or monsters who have these types of aesthetics. I get bored when I see stiff feathers and wings on nearly everyone wobbling back n forth... Aside form the fact 90% of the time there is no in game flight to make them interesting like Aion at least tried to do. Let's leave the vampire bat wings, the angel wings, the big gaudy things like that out of our cosmetics pool of gear and etc.... but leave it for bosses, enemies, maybe transformations of bosses and etc huh?

What I don't see enough of though, are capes. Done proper. I miss when capes were a symbol to "something". The guild you owned/represented, the faction you played, the race, the religion you worshiped, maybe an achievement.... it was something you wore as a means of showing off something you proudly wear. I feel as though AoC would be nice with varieties of scarves/capes, short and long, if even just purely cosmetic with no stats. I know clipping is an issue with this at times and that's why some games will even opt to attach capes directly to the armor pieces instead. Hear me out... Yes, it's hard, it can be funky to make.... But no other MMO's are doing it. Why can't AoC fix that and be different, a stand above the others in this right?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/9alaog/neither_teso_or_ff14_have_capes_what_the_hell/

There's others who agree on this matter too and I feel at the very minimum... There could be a default template cape that you select a color for and holds the symbol of your guild perhaps? I'm a huge fan of torn capes, paladin style hero capes, royal stuff, anything that paints the image of what type of character I'm going to be. Even small, simple wraps around the neck/shoulders can be amazing in different styles.

Just my random thought/2cents.
Future mercenary guild owner in Ashes of Creation
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Comments

• Options
    Well it's just a preference at the end of the day.....

And I say screw wing cosmetics they look goofy as hell.

You assault my eyes like a man dressed up in a pigeon suit.
    tenor.gif

You stupid pigeon.

5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Agree 100%.

Wings looks so stupid to me. Specially in those eastern games where angel **** become the "meta". Kind of disgusting to see.

I'm confident they won't let that annoying cash grab to be a thing here.
  • Options
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cloaks

They're planning on allowing for capes/cloaks already.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Well wings are already a skin in the game so.......
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »

RIP.

I will admit the aesthetics of AoC are a little over the top. I accepted that when I seen snail boy for the first time. If I have to deal with a few weeaboos running around with wings to have that snail mount. I guess its the price I have to pay.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

RIP.

I will admit the aesthetics of AoC are a little over the top. I accepted that when I seen snail boy for the first time. If I have to deal with a few weeaboos running around with wings to have that snail mount. I guess its the price I have to pay.

I mean, compared to nearly every other MMO on the planet I'd say AoC's aesthetics are about as conservative as it gets.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    Maezriel wrote: »
    I mean, compared to nearly every other MMO on the planet I'd say AoC's aesthetics are about as conservative as it gets.

It's still in Alpha...! :p
  • Options
    I totally feel you.
    I love the little capes you could wear as a symbol of your guild. Especially in Aion where you could wear a complete robe or outfit with the emblem & color of your guild/legion on it.

BUT what I totally love the most is wearing hoods, like a real mage student or rogue. Hoods are always cool.
    actually I want to play a cleric but I know that I end up playing mage again..
  • Options
    Give me the half cloaks or the scarves anyday! A recent popular character that I feel the design on his cloak looks amazing would be Childe from Genshin Impact:
    mThyfJz.png
    E8OOol.gif
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You should be happy then, that Capes are indeed a thing in Ashes and they look pretty awesome!
    They even got physics enabled. ;D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack

RIP.

There's only 1 skin so far that has Wings on it, and that's the Angel Racial Skin that requires a $1000+ pledge level on Kickstarter.
    Angel_skin.png
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    Talents wrote: »

RIP.

There's only 1 skin so far that has Wings on it, and that's the Angel Racial Skin that requires a $1000+ pledge level on Kickstarter.
    Angel_skin.png

Thats why I said skin and not skins
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I turn capes and helmets off if I can. I like that they are going more"realistic" with the armor and hope they stay close to that and don't have way over the top stuff everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSfG3slODnM
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of the cape/cloak life as well, especially since for the majority of the time you're likely staring at the back of your character! Here's a quick look at some of the capes/cloaks we've revealed so far, including those that players were able to unlock in Apocalypse: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cloaks

And yes, there has only been one instance of "wings" so far that I'm aware of, and it's very specifically for that Angelic racial appearance that transforms your whole appearance and was included with the original Kickstarter tiers alongside the Demonic one.
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    ValicValic Member
    edited November 2020
    Damokles wrote: »
    You should be happy then, that Capes are indeed a thing in Ashes and they look pretty awesome!
    They even got physics enabled. ;D

Perfect, I can't wait to see more of em in various designs.

RIP.

Ugh.... already begun then... I'm not against that I guess because it'd be rare but really it's just so gaudy to see so many on the field.
    I'm a big fan of the cape/cloak life as well, especially since for the majority of the time you're likely staring at the back of your character! Here's a quick look at some of the capes/cloaks we've revealed so far, including those that players were able to unlock in Apocalypse: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cloaks

And yes, there has only been one instance of "wings" so far that I'm aware of, and it's very specifically for that Angelic racial appearance that transforms your whole appearance and was included with the original Kickstarter tiers alongside the Demonic one.

I guess that's not horrible. I'd love more designs of capes than just standard too. Some examples like...

3038219-screen%20shot%202016-03-31%20at%202.58.34%20pm.png

7VPkqfk.png

Concepts like this, more than just the "superhero cape" style but something that genuinely looks like you're a commander of an army or trying to withstand the cold. Tattered, torn, over the shoulder, around almost the whole body more akin to cloaks, and everything in between.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton
  • Options

RIP.

Angel_skin.png

PIGEON
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »

RIP.

Angel_skin.png

PIGEON

I always thought, that it would be just a bigger target for bows/crossbows xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »

RIP.

Angel_skin.png

PIGEON

I always thought, that it would be just a bigger target for bows/crossbows xD

This is what I thought of.

https://youtu.be/8Ur9Ps5lqmc
  • Options

RIP.

Angel_skin.png

100% yes for the cape, looking forward for more design like shoulder covered, scarf-liked, cloak etc. Emblem or coat-of-arms of node and guild really provide sense of belonging and game immersion.

I am actually against this winged skin, totally destroy the lore in the game. If Dev really want wings in the game, then why not make it something like the dragon mount. Instead all four different types of Metro node indifferently allow the mayors have the dragon mount, why not:
    1. Dragon mount for military node
    2. Religion Metro Mayor to have wings (black/white, flight enable)
    3. 3 head / 6 arms Colossus companion for Economic Metro
    4. Science Metro Mayor get a Gundam :smiley: Mount.
  • Options
    MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Why not just let the individual players choose if they like wings or cloaks. This is, a fantasy game after all.

btw, i forbid you to use dual-wield. That is so unrealistic and i dont like it.
  • Options
    Marzzo wrote: »
    Why not just let the individual players choose if they like wings or cloaks. This is, a fantasy game after all.

Me: *remembers the dual-wielding katana discussion* "I needed you earlier man!"
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options

I do wish more games had battle masks
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2020
    There better be cloaks in the game, since I already bought a couple in the cosmetic shop. :neutral:

Kiss_of_summer.png
    450px-Cloak_of_the_Seahawk.png

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    ValicValic Member
    edited November 2020

I see nothing wrong with dual wielding so long as it's done correctly. Nothing unrealistic about it either, if I see the chance to have an extra weapon to bash someone's head in as opposed to only the one, why wouldn't I pick it up. Dark souls 3 makes this especially immersive. But I digress as that's off topic....

As for letting individuals choose.... because you end up seeing majority of the community being "sexy demons" or having these giant cringey pieces of plastic flapping around. It's a fantasy game but everyone being angels, demons, dragons, etc defeats the lore and to a larger extent, ruins the immersion aspect a bit. Gotta love when I walk into a tavern for adventurers and I see demi gods and hell's secret agents just passively at the fireplace. Frankly, overly flamboyant outfits on the battlefield just kill a game for many players.
    ― G.K. Chesterton
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

If you had a pretty Tulnar head instead of a "precious" face you wouldn't need to hide it. ;)
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    If you had a pretty Tulnar head instead of a "precious" face you wouldn't need to hide it. ;)

It's the snout that does it, right? Who doesn't love a sexy snout........ :/
  • Options

ZWMRJyw.jpg
  • Options

ZWMRJyw.jpg

vWztVLq.jpg
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would like to say that. Now that I have seen the wings that are in the game. They are not the lame wings I imagined, and since they are incredibly rare. I don't think I would mind them.

I would not mind seeing more things that people would actually have on their back. Backpacks for instance.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    I would like to say that. Now that I have seen the wings that are in the game. They are not the lame wings I imagined, and since they are incredibly rare. I don't think I would mind them.

I would not mind seeing more things that people would actually have on their back. Backpacks for instance.

Exactly this. Rare and nice looking so it doesn't come off as overdone and gaudy while still having more "immersive" things on our backs.
    ― G.K. Chesterton