Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Daily quests, yes or no?

2»

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    neuroguy wrote: »
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind the odd 1 daily quest but I will be up front and give a big thumbs down in general.

Dailies are what drove me away from ESO. I would log in and after I completed all of my crafting dailies, rogue guild dailies, personal mob route for random drops, and then participated in the nightly world boss circuit, it was time for bed. So the only time I had to do anything else would be the weekends and even then I felt guilty if I went to PvP before I had done all those daily tasks. Hell I didn't even feel as if I was even PvEing because I feel that even PvE requires a certain challenge level which I was not experiencing. Really sucked the fun and motivation out of playing.

I think this is actually a great point. Even though as @Wandering Mist said dailies give you something to do if you don't have much time to play, they also often feel mandatory and therefore burn into your time to play. Especially with no fast travel etc, if the dailies are location based they would then dictate where you go and as a result what you can do which would really take away from your autonomy in your play session. If there are dailies then I really think they should be location agnostic at the very least but also optimally task agnostic, again, just make it a xp threshold :D.

Indeed.

This is why I think that *if* dailies are to be a thing, making them reward something that is non-unique to them, and that can be earned in greater quantities if you have more time is a good way to go.

This way, peoplewith limited window to play on a given day can do something productive, but if you have actual time to dedicate to playing the game on a different given day, you wouldn't even consider dailies.
  • Options
    Hell No!
    If there is a time machine invented, stoping the person that invented daily quests should be among the top priorities
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • Options
    VanqorVanqor Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited November 2020
    Similar to my response in the login reward thread: a resounding NO.

The reasons are the same. Dailies are mainly a manipulative technique to make you log in every day, to receive some sweet reward, even though you don't want to play. They have no place in a sandbox MMO.

As others have stated, they also "force" players into prioritizing them, as the rewards of the dailies are always better than "just playing". This is especially bad for casual players, and _will_ lead to people quitting the game.
    Player B just logged in
    Player A: "Hey, B! Wanna join for a dungeon?"
    Player B: Sure, in 30 mins, gotta do my dailies first!

I do, however, make a distinction between "dailies", as described above, and repetetive tasks.

I expect there to be repetetive tasks/quests on timers in Ashes (for example the siege "quest", which is on cooldown). That is fine and expected based on the nature of the game, but as others have commented, it's important that players don't feel forced into doing them due to superior rewards, and don't overdo the number of them.

My dream is to be able to log into the game and do what I want, without feeling heavily penalized for not doing repetetive tasks.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Huge No
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Don't mind it if it is for a common goal amongst the node.
    a34ad54277341e048554a1bf88ee6284.jpg

Heroes Fade but Legends last forever

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Stumbled across this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smtPbfAaOtQ

The egg timer effect is a big reason why a lot of people don't like dailies and weekly quests. This also applies to the log in rewards as well. We all know someone in a game that has them. They log in collect and are gone till the next day. "Just in case" the game gets good enough to come back to.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah Kevin explains it well there I think.

I understand why the money guys at the game companies like the egg timer mechanics in a subscription based game, but I also think it's a system for short term gain and long term loss. 100% of development should go towards engaging content, and the players will stay for much longer in the long run.
  • Options
    Good vid. When it becomes a chore it just feels like a job.
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    edited November 2020
    Hmmm. I know what you mean. Daily quests can be a drag. I remember being quite excited for Everquest Next. And one of the main reasons for me was the way they planned to design their AI.

(I know the game got canned. But it has some good next-gen ideas)

The way they explained it (in a nutshell) was that all NPCs (including monsters) were given a template for what type of monster they are their personality, needs in terms of food, racial goals personal goals. Based on this, the AI would make them behave certain ways. For example a group of Kobolds would have settled in the mountains, to farm its riches. Players get sent there to cull them until they leave. (First come, first serve) Because at some point, the danger of that particular area outweighs their need/want for ores/shinies.

In another example they used Orcish warbands, almost like a bandit type system. A town (or in Ashes's case node) would sent players to the standard areas, players would go to these areas. So there are roads where less people come. That's where they'd be.

Ashes lends itself to being a rather dynamic world, with the node system. If the creatures that aren't players can behave as dynamically. It would automatically create daily quests.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    Personally, I hate dailies. Make the game feel like a chore and removes the immersion/fun. There should be more than enough for me to do in game than just questing. E.g. I have a lot of housing goals I want to achieve. And general server-records I wish to set.

So I'll give a hard No to daily quests
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYmMRO_yEzs

In this one Kevin talks to them about the developers side of things. Is a very interesting conversation about game design overall even though they focus on WOW. The ideas transcend WOW and hit the core design of games in general. Favorite line for me. "It's my job to make you hate me. Get good!"
    Back on topic I think if the game is challenging and has stuff to do dailies won't be necessary for the most part.

Strong words of encouragement for Intrepid at the very end.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    I would hope not