Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Never a more wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy... Should Devs show some love to Corrupted Players?

While we all agree, becoming corrupted is bad. This is still a way of life for some people. I don't think the developers should take away all thier options. If you risk much, there should be a chance for reward.

Perhaps allowing corrupted node development. Not as a main node, but maybe a vassal or secret node that can only go to a certain max level, and maybe only 1 or 2 of them allowed per continent and/or being available on the ocean.

This will give corrupted players a place to go instead of being anathema from any population center in the game. The NPC's in these nodes are of course shady and likely all scum as well, so they wouldn't be giving the best deals to players selling loot. However there could also be a black markets and shady quests in this location too.

The guards here won't attack corrupted players, but would attack any players engaged in a fight (like trying to claim a bounty) against corrupted players.

This place could even sell(not cheaply)/and/or offer quests for special potions/drugs that could temporarily stave off the stat weakening from being corrupted and/or their recipes... it wouldn't prevent the equipment drop on death, but it would temporarily prevent you from becoming to weak to defend yourself or beat up monsters to lower your corruption, etc..

Another potion idea would be one that dampens the mini-map notification for being corrupted. It would still show people there was someone corrupted in the area, just not exactly where they were / who they were.

Maybe even giving Corrupted nodes an advanced Thieves/Assassins guild that isn't available elsewhere.

What do you guys think? Anyone else have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The idea with being corrupt is that you are supposed to work it off - it is not a state you are supposed to remain in for an extended period of time.

Having a node dedicated to a player character status that temporary doesn't seem like something that could work.
  • Options
    I think creating an "rp" bad guy node or social organization to rank up in could be interesting. Tie it into attacking caravans, both land and sea, and find some other activities to make it work within the consensual forms of pvp in the game.

So maybe an "outlaw" node could have events like the "purge" where attacking other players in the node is "legal" for the duration. Basically the node becomes a battleground where everyone is flagged as a combatant for the duration of the purge.

They could make certain certificates illegal within other nodes that have a high profit margin if taken to an outlaw node to be sold to the "black market" npcs at the risk of being attacked by a ton of bandits.

Outlaw citizens can be killed for their heads and taken back to other nodes for a "bounty". This would bring many players to come pvp during purges as well as defending caravans for some extra profit via killing these outlaw citizens.

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head, what do you think?
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The way the current system is set up, I doubt there will be many corrupted players at all. In order to become corrupted you have to kill a non-combatant, but there's really no benefit to being a non-combatant over being a combatant due to the death penalties. So if everyone is a combatant, nobody will become corrupted. Maybe I'm missing something here....
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    No.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I understand the thought behind it. But no. I don't want corruption to be sought after as a playstyle by some. It defeats its core purpose.
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    edited November 2020
    The way the current system is set up, I doubt there will be many corrupted players at all. In order to become corrupted you have to kill a non-combatant, but there's really no benefit to being a non-combatant over being a combatant due to the death penalties. So if everyone is a combatant, nobody will become corrupted. Maybe I'm missing something here....

Some players won’t fight back on principal.
    Some players will take the loss of some resources so they can have an instant port back to a safe-ish area.
    Some players will be caught afk and die.
    Some groups will have the coordination to 100-0 a player before they can flag.
    Some players will let themselves die when they have no resources to lose.

There’s not much incentive to die green, but there are a few reasons someone might.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I would 100% let them get corruption at the expense of a higher death penalty. I would have to be carrying some real high end stuff in order to be flagged, and that would only happen in a group scenario anyway.

That's assuming corruption actually has some bite to it of course. If it doesn't, it's a failed mechanic anyway.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Some players will take the loss of some resources so they can have an instant port back to a safe-ish area.
    There’s not much incentive to die green, but there are a few reasons someone might.

Some player killers will place stick looking items from their inventory (such as arrows) on the body of the player they killed to make a campfire and dance on the body
    Some player killers will go hide in the shadows nearby waiting until someone comes to resurrect the player and kill them too
    Some player killers will move to the next zone and kill a few more before returning
    Some player killers will run to the side, log-off, long on an alt, scout, and then rinse and repeat
    Some player killers will go red and then get immediately killed and lose their gear and plead for it back
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2020
    @Pannath
    Corruption is a deterrent and won't be turned into a reward system as that would encourage the exact action being deterred.

The reasoning for the need of the corruption system:
    You can kill as many people in open world (and just about anywhere) as you want to. If you kill players that are reasonably around your level, you probably won't go red. If you hit an occasional player that won't fight back, you can just wait a short time to let the corruption go away and continue.

Steven has said that the intended balance is that players should be able to overcome up to a 10 level difference by skilled play. 15 levels may be possible but very difficult. Attacked players are essentially paid to fight back due to half penalty for losing; or, gaining drops from the attacker for winning. Combine the potential for level difference to be overcome and being paid to fight should result in most players around your level will fight and not give you corruption.

Go nuts. PvP everywhere against players that stand a chance is virtually unrestricted by the game.

If you have gone to very corrupted, you have murdered many people that did not fight back which is probably players that are much lower level than you. If your playstyle is to murder low levels endlessly, you are not being catered to.

So, if you turn the corruption system into some kind of reward or beneficial social system, then the corruption system encourages murdering many players that are much lower level than the corrupted and defeats the purpose of corruption.
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited November 2020
    Hm. I thought it was clear the OP wanted a "bad guy" faction of players. Sure, no to corruption support, but the sentiment most likely still stands. It doesnt have to be based on corruption guys.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Corruption thread number 2918
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2020
    The benefit is curbing others from interrupting my play session.
    It's just the normal death penalty for me and Corruption for them. That's plenty of incentive for me.
    Kill me once very quickly and then I can get back to doing whatever I as doing quickly.
    Rather than engaging in an activity I'm not in the mood for just because some other player wants to force me into an activity they love.

Flagging just encourages people to force me into that activity with no penalty.
  • Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited November 2020
    Dygz wrote: »
    The benefit is curbing others from interrupting my play session.
    It's just the normal death penalty for me and Corruption for them. That's plenty of incentive for me.
    Kill me once very quickly and then I can get back to doing whatever I as doing quickly.
    Rather than engaging in an activity I'm not in the mood for just because some other player wants to force me into an activity they love.

Flagging just encourages people to force me into that activity with no penalty.

Corruption exists to prevent PK sprees on lowbies for the most part. I would say the devs want people actively PvPing which is why there's less of a death penalty for dying as a flagged player. @Wandering Mist is correct in saying there most likely won't be many reds so long as the devs properly incentivize dying as a flagged player by making sure the numbers are correct and it's time consuming to climb out of exp debt. The "Normal death penalty" should take a lot of time and effort to clear off of you. Fighting back should be a players best option in all scenarios that even have a 1% chance of you coming out with a victory to avoid (hopefully) painful death penalties. It makes for a better more interesting game that comes with those kinds of player driven interactions and server politics that can stem from them.

Sure someone can be "that guy" and never fight back and always let someone go red, but most likely this will be an extremely small minority of players if flagging is incentivized correctly. If the death penalties aren't painful for greens and the meta game becomes "Stand here and let the enemy go red on me" for a very large portion of the playerbase the game is not going to do well. PvP is the lifeblood of an open world game. Imagine a world where nobody PvPs over world bosses, instead choosing to always let the other guild go red to try and come back and kill them while they are stat dampened for free gear. Doesn't sound very fun or exciting.

In regards to the OP, it's doubtful Corruption is going to be much of a playstyle to be encouraged. It's more of a tool to help you get ahead in certain situations that don't pop up often. Anybody constantly going red is going to lose all their gear pretty quickly (and most likely killing low levels).
  • Options
    I'm green.
    Someone attacks me.
    I've got about 20 seconds to destroy every resource I have in my inventory before they kill me.
    They go red, and get no resources.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If I can't have them, NO-ONE WILL!!! >:)>:)>:)
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    I'm green.
    Someone attacks me.
    I've got about 20 seconds to destroy every resource I have in my inventory before they kill me.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hotfix: You cannot delete items while in combat.
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Corruption is a PUNISHMENT, so no, they are not going to help or reduce penalities; it's meant to be harsh.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options

Even if a player has no interest in doing any PvP whatsoever, they are still better off flagging themselves as a combatant (which you can do manually afaik) because the death penalties are the same for both PvP and PvE deaths. Now, if Intrepid change it so that the death penalties for PvE are different to PvP, then that's a whole different situation. But then again if they do that they are opening up a a huge can of worms when it comes to deciding whether a death was caused by PvP or PvE.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited November 2020

Even if a player has no interest in doing any PvP whatsoever, they are still better off flagging themselves as a combatant (which you can do manually afaik)
    OH GOD DON'T SAY THAT DON'T SAY THAT!!!!

giphy.gif
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Pannath wrote: »
    While we all agree, becoming corrupted is bad. This is still a way of life for some people. I don't think the developers should take away all thier options. If you risk much, there should be a chance for reward.

Perhaps allowing corrupted node development. Not as a main node, but maybe a vassal or secret node that can only go to a certain max level, and maybe only 1 or 2 of them allowed per continent and/or being available on the ocean.

This will give corrupted players a place to go instead of being anathema from any population center in the game. The NPC's in these nodes are of course shady and likely all scum as well, so they wouldn't be giving the best deals to players selling loot. However there could also be a black markets and shady quests in this location too.

The guards here won't attack corrupted players, but would attack any players engaged in a fight (like trying to claim a bounty) against corrupted players.

This place could even sell(not cheaply)/and/or offer quests for special potions/drugs that could temporarily stave off the stat weakening from being corrupted and/or their recipes... it wouldn't prevent the equipment drop on death, but it would temporarily prevent you from becoming to weak to defend yourself or beat up monsters to lower your corruption, etc..

Another potion idea would be one that dampens the mini-map notification for being corrupted. It would still show people there was someone corrupted in the area, just not exactly where they were / who they were.

Maybe even giving Corrupted nodes an advanced Thieves/Assassins guild that isn't available elsewhere.

What do you guys think? Anyone else have any ideas?

The answer to this is a resounding NO!

There are two ways of life you are trying to blend into one: Thieves and Murders

You can feel free to steal from people all day long if you are stealing from their caravans. A caravan is a consensual rolling PvP zone.

Now, you say "instead of being anathema from any population center" this is EXACTLY what being corrupted is.

Corruption is an infection. It is a madness. It is what drove men and women to kill each other in the final days of the Exodus. It's why when those individuals who were in the slipstream to Sanctus when the corruption touched the divine gate and got slingshotted back to Verra took up arms against each other. (Battle Royale Lore).

Corruption isn't the Pirate Faction from Archeage. You are a Pirate, I'm a Pirate let's be pirates together. No. Corruption is madness. You wouldn't form a corrupted Node, because you would be just as interest in killing everyone there and burning it all down as you would burning down the rest of the world.

People need to stop trying to blend Criminals and Corrupted into one pot. Steal all day, that's totally valid. Murder Greens who don't want to PvP, that's not encouraged, which is why the corrupted will never get any "love" from the developers. It's a punishment. It's DESIGNED to be a punishment.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options

Even if a player has no interest in doing any PvP whatsoever, they are still better off flagging themselves as a combatant (which you can do manually afaik) because the death penalties are the same for both PvP and PvE deaths. Now, if Intrepid change it so that the death penalties for PvE are different to PvP, then that's a whole different situation. But then again if they do that they are opening up a a huge can of worms when it comes to deciding whether a death was caused by PvP or PvE.

Did you... read what you quoted from me?

Because I clearly stated the game gives no incentive the staying green, but personal motives (or a sufficient skill gap) can be reason enough for someone to be green when they die.
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    I'm green.
    Someone attacks me.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hotfix: You cannot delete items while in combat.

Buh, Buh, But... why would you do that......?!
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Did you... read what you quoted from me?

Because I clearly stated the game gives no incentive the staying green, but personal motives (or a sufficient skill gap) can be reason enough for someone to be green when they die.

Right, let's go through your list:

Even if you have no intention of fighting back you won't benefit from being a non-combatant.

You still get exp debt, which will be less on a combatant than a non-combatant.

If you manually flag yourself as a combatant this argument is meaningless.

Again, if you are always flagged as a combatant, this means nothing.

Right but you can let yourself die as a combatant just as easily as a non-combatant. Being a combatant doesn't magically make you harder to kill. Plus it's not just about the resource drop, but the exp debt too.

Right but in a world where you can manually flag yourself as a combatant, there's no reason why you would ever choose to be a non-combatant.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    T Elf wrote: »
    Corruption is a PUNISHMENT, so no, they are not going to help or reduce penalities; it's meant to be harsh.

There should be an upper limit to the corruption a character can achieve. Past a certain threshold it would be cool if the corrupted character turned into a monster and the player is sent back to the character selection screen. That character slot now showing the monster with a timer. Can't play, or delete, that character until the timer reach zero, and then corruption has to be purge as normal.

Hmm. Bad idea. People would consider this an achievement and try to do it.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    Percimes wrote: »
    T Elf wrote: »

There should be an upper limit to the corruption a character can achieve. Past a certain threshold it would be cool if the corrupted character turned into a monster and the player is sent back to the character selection screen. That character slot now showing the monster with a timer. Can't play, or delete, that character until the timer reach zero, and then corruption has to be purge as normal.

Hmm. Bad idea. People would consider this an achievement and try to do it.

The maximum amount of corruption should be the level that gets you killed.
  • Options
    PannathPannath Member
    edited November 2020
    Bricktop wrote: »
    Corruption exists to prevent PK sprees on lowbies for the most part.

I don't think it's just lowbies. As a few other adamant non pvp'ers have even popped up in this spread, they could be high level characters who just want to mind their own business and don't want to get pvp'd. But as Steven said, just because they're not a pvp'er they could still be an asshole and running their mouth, and someone is gonna punch that mouth.
  • Options
    McShaveMcShave Member
    edited November 2020
    Percimes wrote: »

I had an idea a while back where if a player got enough corruption, he would become a world boss that a group of players would have to take down. Like, give him a bunch of health but also give him specific corruption boss abilities that he can only use. And then the bounty hunter perc can be given to people in nearby nodes via quests and they get benefits over the corruption boss.

There are some flaws with this of course, but I would like to see something done with the corruption since it is part of the lore of the world.
  • Options
    McShave wrote: »
    I had an idea a while back where if a player got enough corruption, he would become a world boss that a group of players would have to take down. Like, give him a bunch of health but also give him specific corruption boss abilities that he can only use. And then the bounty hunter perc can be given to people in nearby nodes via quests and they get benefits over the corruption boss.

There are some flaws with this of course, but I would like to see something done with the corruption since it is part of the lore of the world.

So, corruption - which they've introduced as a deterrent/punishment for unwanted behaviour - would be rewarded with what is effectively a free Monster Coin, which normally has to be bought from the Cosmetic Shop for real life money?

Can't see it happening.
  • Options

So, corruption - which they've introduced as a deterrent/punishment for unwanted behaviour - would be rewarded with what is effectively a free Monster Coin, which normally has to be bought from the Cosmetic Shop for real life money?

Can't see it happening.

There are still the same corruption death penalties, dropping gear and resources and you cant do anything while in the corrupted boss mode, like gathering or questing. I do understand that it goes against the whole idea for corruption tho, just a fun idea.

I am wondering how they are gonna fit corruption into the lore of the game. As far as I understand, corruption is the evil of the world, and the evil bad guys of the universe are corruption bosses.
  • Options
    I think non-pvpers have been throwing the word punishment around a bit. I don't think corruption is a punishment at all, and even listening to the developers talk about it they don't give off that impression either. It's more like a deterrence to absolute chaos, yet still allowing a means to an end for people to deal with pve'ers who like to run their mouths.