PvP rewards every 6 months? Nah

2»

Comments

• LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited December 2020
    I kind of wonder how the "maintenance" part of it goes. Do you get to keep your runes for 6 full months before you have to worry that the next season will kick you off the list or down the list and force you to use different runes? Or are there regular check-ins like say once a week the list updates and if you lose rank, you lose your top tier PvP rune and have to use a lower tier rune or none at all depending on rank?

I feel like if there are regular check-ins that require you to keep rank every week or every month, that might be better for the system as a whole. It seems more balanced to me to have to keep up rank on a monthly basis to keep using such special PvP runes because the whole idea it seems was to not have a "one and done" reward that you can keep forever.

I seem to remember for a bit years ago - dunno if they still do it now - but Aion had gear sets that you had to have a certain PvP rank to wear. So it would take a while to earn the sets to begin with, but to equip them you had to maintain a certain rank, and your rank would not only go down based on what other players were doing, but also if you spent any points to buy PvP gear you'd lose rank. I think this was a weekly update that would determine your rank. So you had to work to keep wearing your gear - otherwise it would just sit in your bags unusable. In that game I found the idea irritating only because everyone had PvP gear so you had to have a set of some sort to compete. But here if few people have any sort of PvP bonuses at all, it might be interesting to see a minority of people running around sometimes with PvP runes.
  • Atama wrote: »
    I wanted to also chime in that I like the idea of a season being 3 months.

For the simple fact, that a season is 3 months long.

And yet, a football season is 10 months. Would we not be better basing it off that, since they're both competitive activities over a period of time, rather than being based off a few changes in the weather?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I have a question about these rewards - if anyone is able to answer.

Are the rewards for these ladders only going to last for that period? If rewards like the flying mount for being the mayor of a metropolis node only last the duration cycle of being a mayor, it is possible that the rewards for this PvP ladder only last the duration cycle of said ladder system.

This would absolutely add to their exclusivity, I'm just not sure if this is the plan or not.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2020
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Atama wrote: »
    I wanted to also chime in that I like the idea of a season being 3 months.

For the simple fact, that a season is 3 months long.

And yet, a football season is 10 months. Would we not be better basing it off that, since they're both competitive activities over a period of time, rather than being based off a few changes in the weather?
    No, because for everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die, a time to plant, and a time to reap; a time to kill, and a time to heal; and a time to collect PvP rewards. And that time is 3 months.

So It Is Written.

(Also I now worry about preseason PvP matches if we go by football and nobody wants that. And no PvP Pro Bowl, ugh.)

Hhak63P.png
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the idea of 6 month periods but I am nervous to assume that if the seasons are 6 months, we would only see balances/patched every 6 months. Of course, I am willing to give anything they deliver a shot because they have produced nothing but gold so far.
  • Noaani wrote: »

Are the rewards for these ladders only going to last for that period? If rewards like the flying mount for being the mayor of a metropolis node only last the duration cycle of being a mayor, it is possible that the rewards for this PvP ladder only last the duration cycle of said ladder system.

This would absolutely add to their exclusivity, I'm just not sure if this is the plan or not.

@Noaani can't provide a link RN, but at least the enchantments are just for the next season. Cosmetic/Title is unknown afaik.
  • Tyrantor wrote: »
    Based on the cool down period(s) of sieges it seems like 3 months would be way too short of a window to offer siege rewards but hey... again why it's even required is beyond me so who cares give people their participation trophies every week for all I care.

@Tyrantor those are the CDs per Node.

With let's say 60 siegeable nodes (stage 3 or higher), this shouldn't be as big a problem.

However, i do agree that different ladders with the same season length doesn't make sense.

Arena ladders which you can spam all day shouldn't have the same season duration as sieges, which are limited in their occurence.

Something like:

1 month for arena ladder

3 months for Caravan/war related ladders

6 months for siege ladders

might make a lot of sense
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2020
    Warth wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »

Noaani can't provide a link RN, but at least the enchantments are just for the next season. Cosmetic/Title is unknown afaik.

No link necessary, I know it can be time consuming to find them if they are not recorded anywhere. More than happy to take your word for it. Thanks.
  • TyrantorTyrantor Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Warth My response was more directed at Castle sieges with them being available for siege once every 30 days. With the node sieges even if there are 60 or more available for siege this is going to be different on every single server in terms of frequency. One server may have 10 sieges per month other(s) may have 1.

Anyway I'd actually like to know why anything outside of the Arena needs "rewards" as all of this objective based pvp has in game motive anyway.
    Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    (Yes same Tyrantor from Shadowbane)
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Tyrantor wrote: »
    @Warth My response was more directed at Castle sieges with them being available for siege once every 30 days. With the node sieges even if there are 60 or more available for siege this is going to be different on every single server in terms of frequency. One server may have 10 sieges per month other(s) may have 1.

Anyway I'd actually like to know why anything outside of the Arena needs "rewards" as all of this objective based pvp has in game motive anyway.

Castle sieges have the weekly fort sieges, that might very well factor into the rating