Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Expand the Node functionality towards PvE hubs, and include more Risk vs Reward towards PvE.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    oophus wrote: »
    I don't touch the current node system
    Well, only in the same way some brat kid places his hand barely in front of another childs face, yelling "I'm not touching you!".

Your suggestion takes the game from being one where players build all civilization (which is a basic requirement based on what little we know of the lore), to one of "for some reason, player characters and NPC's each have their own cities, and can't co-mingle", which is just straight up not what Ashes is.

Basically, you are coming up with a game that is not this game.
  • Options
    oophusoophus Member
    edited December 2020
    Noaani wrote: »
    Well, only in the same way some brat kid places his hand barely in front of another childs face, yelling "I'm not touching you!"..
    Wow! No, its not.
    Your suggestion takes the game from being one where players build all civilization (which is a basic requirement based on what little we know of the lore), to one of "for some reason, player characters and NPC's each have their own cities, and can't co-mingle", which is just straight up not what Ashes is.
    The basis of the game is nodes is meant for us. I'm adding that nodes can be utilized to build further life in the game in the opposite direction. How far or how deep, and how fast is not something I've touched upon that much as this is an initial idea - discussing it to improve it is kinda the point.

We've already got the "Monster Coin" event, where NPC's interact with us through the node system. I'm simply builing more on that, which creates a logical reason as to why they have further incentives to do so imo. So that logic is already there for them to launch an attack towards us. The difference now is that if we leave that area alone if they win, they start to build up a harder camp/village for us to take over again later.

What kind of camp/village they build surely depends on where in the world it is. If its a bunch of dragons that is attacking, then it makes no sense for a "dragon-village", but a "dragon-den" in contact with the zone in the mountains for example would build it self up. Over time dragons fly over the zone, and it becomes an endgame zone procedurally. To take it over, we fight back and kill off the dragons with the main finale in the dragons-den. Its the same logic that follows now for our node system where it goes in the opposite direction.

If we reach a LV6 Metrolopis this type of boss encounters opens anyway, and same would be true the opposite direction where they are left to roam and rule at will without interruption to grow.

The same underlying systems are still there, and how much my idea gets involved is up to discussion.
  • Options
    Well, only in the same way some brat kid places his hand barely in front of another childs face, yelling "I'm not touching you!"..
    Wow! No, its not.
    It really is.

Ashes is all about node rivalry - but that rivalry is supposed to be with other players, not with NPC's. You are trying to take the primary rivalry in the game and lessen it by making it PvE rather than PvP.

Again, that is a totally different game to what Ashes is.
  • Options
    Why would they take a game that is built on the foundation of PVP and change it?

Think of a house. You can make cosmetic changes any time you want. If you want to change the foundation, you have to start over.
  • Options
    oophusoophus Member
    edited December 2020
    Wow! No, its not.
    Ashes is all about node rivalry - but that rivalry is supposed to be with other players, not with NPC's. You are trying to take the primary rivalry in the game and lessen it by making it PvE rather than PvP.

Why do players fight in the game in the first place? To get control over resources. If you control NPC's you get resources. A player ran node can perfectly fine want to protect and remove players from the neighboring node which is controlled by NPCs because that zone is their grinding spot.

I also introduced an extension towards the caravan system that could and most likely will produce a lot of good PvP content.

If a NPC gets big enough to be characterized as a boss, a procedural quest system spawned caravans in neighbouring Player controlled nodes to drive towards the NPC, where it would arrive at the same time.

What would the players do in an open world sandbox PvP game? Will they cooperate to beat the boss? Will they kill off eachother first to be able to get the boss alone to not share the loot?

A Sandbox game is about options. The more options the game give players, the more intrigues will results from is, for us to make our own history.

Why would they take a game that is built on the foundation of PVP and change it?

Think of a house. You can make cosmetic changes any time you want. If you want to change the foundation, you have to start over.

If you introduce higher reward, you also introduce more incentive to control those rewards. This isn't about PvE, its about PvX.

The foundation is the same, its utilizing the same logic the game already have. No changes would be needed on the "+" stage of the node system. I introduce a "-" stage on the other end.

So instead of nodes only having a minimum state of 0 where no one controls it up to state 6 where its a Metroloplis for Players, it also have a "-" stage going towards NPC controlled content.

Guilds having control to utilize the "-" stage is of course something that would have been seen, and players would fight over the right to farm this area to progress them selves. The difference is at "+" zones, you farm reagents for crafting. At "-" states its best to farm mobs since they are automatically bigger, and badder there where all of this is controlled procedurally based on our movement in the world.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The devs have said from day one this is how its going to work and you want to change it?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    The devs have said from day one this is how its going to work and you want to change it?
    Please read the thread properly. I'm not changing the current system, I'm adding on top of it. If you got questions about it, then please ask.
  • Options
    Please read the thread properly. I'm not changing the current system, I'm adding on top of it. If you got questions about it, then please ask.

to add or take away is changing
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

Well, then if we shall follow your logic then I'm asking to change it to expand in it, to make it better and give even more depth to the game.
  • Options

Well, then if we shall follow your logic then I'm asking to change it to expand in it, to make it better and give even more depth to the game.

and why is your idea better than what we have already?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    It is way better for you to address your concerns than for me to repeat what I've already stated in this thread. My stance on why I think this would be a good addition to the game is pretty clear already.
  • Options
    elahrairahelahrairah Member
    edited December 2020
    Big fan of the ideas presented by OP. My preferred iterations on these ideas are:

"NPC nodes" aren't nodes in any traditional sense, but most closely resemble the Dragon Den you referred to, oophus. This really captures the idea that the open world is a wild one, and if left to it's own devices it will become increasingly harder to tame. I think that makes more sense that town-type nodes, since this world is meant to be largely unoccupied by advanced civilizations or creatures with any form of built up environment. If these creatures existed, Verra would already have cities upon arrival. I would be fascinated by the idea of including humanoid races with basic societies resembling those of First Peoples on our Earth, allowing for players to decide to share tech with them or steal their resources, however as others have mentioned, I think that's outside of the scope of the lore and dev's intentions.

The whole idea of mobs getting stronger/more notorious as they battle/kill players is super exciting. What really caught my eye was the mention of a sea-monster that suddenly arose from the depths to kill a bunch of players, eat their gear, and then sink back to the ocean floor. This creates an incredible world event that combines PvE aspect (hunting the monster and killing it) with a PvP aspect (racing and battling other hunting squads to be the first to get the loot). I think if this were something more intentionally placed by devs, rather than a run-of-the-mill mob slowly getting stronger by chance kills, it would be a great addition to the world - I think it would also be hilarious for the devs to be able to log in and play as these "bounty monsters". I'm sure they'd have a blast, and it would make the hunt/fight just that much more interactive!
  • Options
    It is way better for you to address your concerns than for me to repeat what I've already stated in this thread. My stance on why I think this would be a good addition to the game is pretty clear already.

I don't have concerns I'm just tired of people who join wanting the game to do what they say when the devs have laid out their plans form day one
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    I don't have concerns I'm just tired of people who join wanting the game to do what they say when the devs have laid out their plans form day one

It is also well within the devs plans to listen to the community's feedback and desires, that's been stated as like their highest priority.

• Options

Not only have they laid out what they want to do, they have said they aren't really going to entertain suggestions from the player base. The feedback they want from us is in relation to whether or not things appear to be working as intended, not as to how someone wants then to drastically alter the fou rations of the game.
  • Options
    elahrairah wrote: »

It is also well within the devs plans to listen to the community's feedback and desires, that's been stated as like their highest priority.

where did you read that?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

And I'm tired of people having the need to jump into discussions without even touching the topic at hand. Whats the point? If you don't like a thread or an idea, don't get involved. Or at least give reasons to why you don't like it if you end up writing something. You speaking for the devs makes no sense.
  • Options

And I'm tired of people having the need to jump into discussions without even touching the topic at hand. Whats the point? If you don't like a thread or an idea, don't get involved. Or at least give reasons to why you don't like it if you end up writing something. You speaking for the devs makes no sense.

Im not speaking for the devs I'm just repeating what they have said
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

Give a link to what they have said then. Plus why have a forum if the devs aren't interested in reading it? They are even asking for feedback and have said they are willing to and welcome ideas.
  • Options

Agreed. This was a great idea, one that could have developed into a great conversation, but now I doubt anyone interested is going to take the time to waddle through all the squabbling.
  • Options

Agreed. This was a great idea, one that could have developed into a great conversation, but now I doubt anyone interested is going to take the time to waddle through all the squabbling.

I know. The guys spamming the forums with comments that doesn't touch the topic but just whine doesn't do the forum any good. I will report some posts in here and hope the moderator can clean it up a bit.
  • Options

Give a link to what they have said then. Plus why have a forum if the devs aren't interested in reading it? They are even asking for feedback and have said they are willing to and welcome ideas.

Ok here you go

Metropolis.jpg

and the devs want feedback not changes with out proof
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    oophusoophus Member
    edited December 2020

Ok here you go

Metropolis.jpg

My suggestion does not alter the max allowed Metropolis nodes. I have even stated that I don't think NPC nodes should reach level 6 unless it really makes sense to do so. And if an NPC Node actually gets to level 6, then it would take the place of player ran nodes. Which means a fight to take it down from players, and between players would be the result of it, as it would be a node to be worth fighting over.
  • Options

Ok here you go

Metropolis.jpg

My suggestion does not alter the max allowed Metropolis nodes. I have even stated that I don't think NPC nodes should reach level 6 unless it really makes sense to do so. And if an NPC Node actually gets to level 6, then it would take the place of player ran nodes. Which means a fight to take it down from players, and between players would be the result of it, as it would be a node to be worth fighting over.

that again does not fit. remember we are some of the first people in Verra we are rebuilding the world so having NPC cities makes no sense
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

Ok here you go

Metropolis.jpg

that again does not fit. remember we are some of the first people in Verra we are rebuilding the world so having NPC cities makes no sense
    The world of Vera is already populated by NPC's. How the node system towards them works does not necessarily mean that they build a normal settlment... It has to be logical and I've already explained this.

Animals out in the world do a ton of different things to protect their habitat, and whatever NPC that is in X location will make the node fitting to that type of animal, monster or creep.

• Options

that again does not fit. remember we are some of the first people in Verra we are rebuilding the world so having NPC cities makes no sense [/quote]

@Nagash What do you think of the Dragon Den idea that @oophus outlined earlier and that I backed above? I agree that having established civs would be wrong, as would having NPC races that could suddenly build cities once our races arrive... But the idea of untamed land becoming more and more dangerous as wild beasts breed and settle into it more is a cool one to me. Also, you could argue that it makes sense for these things to happen near nodes because if we're drawn to a node to settle (abundance of resources being a main driver, most like) then the wild beasts would prefer to settle there too, right?
  • Options

Ok here you go

Metropolis.jpg

The world of Vera is already populated by NPC's. How the node system towards them works does not necessarily mean that they build a normal settlment... It has to be logical and I've already explained this.

Animals out in the world do a ton of different things to protect their habitat, and whatever NPC that is in X location will make the node fitting to that type of animal, monster or creep.

while there are NPC in ashes they do not make nodes that is all the players

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Node_advancement just have a read of this, please
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

@Nagash What do you think of the Dragon Den idea that @oophus outlined earlier and that I backed above? I agree that having established civs would be wrong, as would having NPC races that could suddenly build cities once our races arrive... But the idea of untamed land becoming more and more dangerous as wild beasts breed and settle into it more is a cool one to me. Also, you could argue that it makes sense for these things to happen near nodes because if we're drawn to a node to settle (abundance of resources being a main driver, most like) then the wild beasts would prefer to settle there too, right?
    [/quote]

well that already happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMvubbX-SHg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

Ok here you go

Metropolis.jpg

I know! Have you even read my suggestion?
  • Options

Ok here you go

Metropolis.jpg

I know! Have you even read my suggestion?

I did and like I said before NPC do NOT make nodes only players
    nJ0vUSm.gif